Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results
  • Locked thread
Grape
Nov 16, 2017

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new neck.

buglord posted:

so most of us are used to multiplying like this on the left, but apparently they're teaching kids multiplication with cubes and stuff?

what in the world is any of this weird stuff

I'm complete poo poo at math, and if you actually look at those for two seconds it isn't really all that nuts dude.

Actually seems kinda nice. The first one anyway. Makes it super visual, always a plus for non STEM people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

your friend a dog posted:

that's true, but don't they use the same lesson plan every year? seems like a lot of that stuff is work that gets sorted out in the first year or two.

On the high school level teachers will be switched around and given new sorts of classes fairly frequently and can never be assured it won't happened, on the elementary level that might be true but the level of responsibility and management with the kids is through the goddamn ceiling.

You have a bachelors katana guy? I invite you to go get a job as a substitute and work some elementary days, where you don't have to do even a fraction of the prep and planning and organization. But will still feel like you got hit by a freight train at the end of the day.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Lol yes a full back breaking day of standing in front of 20-30 kids slowly reading a PowerPoint is soooo hard and demanding. gently caress you roughnecks, longshoreman, and heavy machinery mechanics the toughest job is being a teacher!!

90% of teachers could be replaced with a YouTube video.

lol this puss would be broken in half if he had to babysit even one hyperactive kid for one day

Grape fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 19:35

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Damo posted:

edit: wait i forgot, children pre high school are "generally well behaved" since they don't want to get in trouble hahahahaha

I like how that post described kids who were clearly conditioned by a well disciplined classroom environment, with clear expectations, and a teacher whose authority is fully respected.

And just assumed it was like that naturally.

Naw couldn't have been the teacher or anything!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

If I pay you $60k year to show YouTube videos to kids and drone off PowerPoints while handing out busy work it doesn't matter if I pay you all at once on January 1st or pay you literally every day you are still making $60k/yr. What grade do you teach? LMAO

Go drone some powerpoints at actual kids and see how that works out for you.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Damo posted:

still lolling at the idea that a human being believes that every teacher in the united states of america makes at least 60k a year

you are a loving retard

And the few states that do have that kind of average mysteriously tend to be among the better ones for education?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

id send the kids home if they didnt have their own stationary set

i praise you teachers but you gotta stop taking on jobs that arnt your own

Entire lesson plans can fart out if kids don't have certain supplies on that day(s), and just straight up having one or more kid sitting there doing absolutely nothing for a whole period is a huge big no no.

• Locked thread