Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results

• Locked thread
Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I do all kinds of hosed up math every day but I don't think I've even seen a number in years. I leave that poo poo for the computer :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I like linear algebra and apparently actually figured out large parts of it myself working out various geometry problems and stuff. So I figured I might as well take a course in it at Uni since I already knew it. So I did. Took all the practice tests from previous years and they were easy-peasy. No probs.

Then I go to take the actual test for that year. Hoo boy.
"Invert this 5x5 matrix, write down all the steps :downs: "
"Calculate the eigenvectors and values of these enormous matrices and shove them up your rear end :downs: "
"Factorize this high grade equation :downs: "
"No you can't use a calculator :downs: "
"You have three hours + 20 more questions :downs: "

Like, the biggest matrix they worked on in the tests for the previous years was 4x4. It's not that it's conceptually harder to work on larger matrices but the sheer number of arithmetic operations involved makes it extremely hard not to gently caress up a number somewhere when you do it by hand. It's like, what the gently caress is this, a course in number crunching? They were multiple point questions, so you'd think if you showed that you knew how to invert a matrix you'd get a few points, but fucken NOPE. lol @ you for wasting your time on those questions.

Biggest loving piece of bullshit I ever seen. I still passed, but just barely, and now my grades make it look like I mysteriously suck at just linear algebra.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's not clear to me what skill they think anyone will learn by having them multiply huge matrices by hand. If they were symbolic, like how to derive a projection matrix for homogenous coordinates or something, sure, but they never suggested stuff like that was even possible.

• Locked thread