Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite math?
addition
subtraction
multiplication
division
I use the term "maths" like some imbecile
View Results
  • Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

UK primary schools taught the box method for multiplying like 35 years ago, how were you taught to multiply in the US in primary school?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 02:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

your friend a dog posted:

i guess long form might be harder if you were multiplying 10 digit numbers in primary school

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

Blue Train posted:

The way we did it in the early 90s/late 80s was straight rote memorization of times tables up to 12 lmao, altho obviously they taught the carrying poo poo as well

gently caress yea, you're back.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

Running a cash register at a paintball site helped my mental math a ton, kids these days can't practice though, now everyone has ADHD and is retarded.

schmitty9800 posted:

-create a scope and sequence for the whole year, aligned to some type of standard for your subject
-within the scope and sequence design units, write a unit plan for each
-write individual lesson plans for your units
-set up your classroom in a way that appeals to multiple learning styles
-create procedures for every type of learning situation in your classroom so that you can transition between them without losing instructional time (lecture, individual work, group work, stations, etc.)
-manage student behavior, have a discipline plan in place for any situation that may arise for your students
-grade papers
-create innovative lessons that incorporate real world situations, provided that they all fit into your unit plans
-implement modifications and accommodations that students may have based on their IEP (for special ed. students) or their 504 (for students with a disability)
-contact parents and provide timely feedback
-form personal connections with students
-participate in the school community (extra-curricular activities, attend school events, supervise lunch and before/after school)

My memory of teaching is "we'll pay you 9 - 5, you'll work 13 hour days, and at weekends and holidays".

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 03:06

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

that's true, but don't they use the same lesson plan every year?

It depends if the curriculum has changed, or if you're teaching a subject that evolves like IT. You'd also adapt lesson plans based on performance. It's not just plans though, it's also any materials you created like presentations, quizzes, etc too, extension tasks. It's a bitch and I bailed.

Mostly I bailed though because kids bore the life out of me. They're idiots.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 03:27

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

get yelled at by their authority figures, at least pre middle school.

Can teachers even yell these days? I knew a teacher that was reported by a kids parents because they asked a hyperactive idiot child to change seats.

Give teachers a taser quota imho.

Blistex posted:

/\ I now have a real desire to see ancient Greek/Roman engineering documents and formulas prior to Arabic numerals taking over.

A high school math teacher who has managed to hold on to the same few classes year after year is sitting pretty preparation wise since high school math changes as often as Popes. Language arts on the other hand has some new "magic bullet" or tool introduced every few years and curriculum can change three times a decade in some jurisdictions.

The math teachers I knew seemed super chill, maybe that's why.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 03:26

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

BONE DOG posted:

Give the kids calculators why clog your brain with tedious bullshit with no real world application

Let the KIDS!!! Add what they want.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

If I'd stayed in teaching, I'd have been giving out free pencils Heath Ledger's Joker style.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

I was fine until it got up to multiplying matrices and such. It felt like pulling teeth. Luckily com sci math stopped at that point or I'd have flunked from migraines.

Or just plain flunked. My brain isn't big enough to see it as anything other then disconnected and abstract. I found that demoralising.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 17:06

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

Pawn 17 posted:

Did they not require linear algebra?

Yes, we did. I didn't take anything other then the bare minimum of math modules in that course.

I wish I'd enjoyed it as it would have been useful as hell and a totally new perspective to see the world from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

blub

I'm confused as to what you'd do with the result, without a calculator or computer.

• Locked thread