Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

i think being stubborn is lame and ive made it a huge point to stop trying to "win" arguments, mostly by not so much arguing as calmly debating and I think being able to admit you're wrong when you are is important

ive never once been wrong about anything in my entire life though so not sure what that feels like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Maybe this is the place to ask, since I haven't figured out how to deal with someone who goes so extreme in an argument they decide I'm flat out calling them stupid. Like, we'll be having a perfectly rational discussion, disagree on something, and then this person will just go 'You're just calling me dumb' and I'm just floored at how infuriating that counterargument is. It's like disagreeing is a form of insult to their intelligence. Should I just let them be ashamed of themselves and leave them alone forever?

sounds like the person really is dumb has nothing else to say so hes trying to flip it and make you feel bad so he can feel good even though hes dumb and lost

tell him its okay to be wrong and he doesnt have to take it as a blow against his ego, every time you discuss something with someone with a differing opinion is a chance for learning and perspective

or just tell him hes dumb, and now that youve gotten that out of the way you can continue or respond with "and youre just insulting my integrity"

discarded box fucked around with this message at May 16, 2018 around 15:25