Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah the point of whether or not someone so fat would want to eat more or less is an interesting one. running a calorie deficit would not be a wholly bad thing to dip into the stored energy you have and get rid of weight that is not helpful in the situation. but by the same token, starting a physiological change in a survival situation like this is going to put more stress on your body when your strategic goal is to minimize that stress while moving forward.

fwiw, this calculator puts goonpa at a resting metabolic rate of 1981 cal/day, so the 2k estimation is definitely hilariously low. RMR presumes you are doing nothing but lying around. even sitting at your computer will do more because your brain is ostensibly firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Hey, I never said tasting (and possibly eating) everything we find was a good idea, it just seems in character.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Coolguye posted:

yeah the point of whether or not someone so fat would want to eat more or less is an interesting one. running a calorie deficit would not be a wholly bad thing to dip into the stored energy you have and get rid of weight that is not helpful in the situation. but by the same token, starting a physiological change in a survival situation like this is going to put more stress on your body when your strategic goal is to minimize that stress while moving forward.

fwiw, this calculator puts goonpa at a resting metabolic rate of 1981 cal/day, so the 2k estimation is definitely hilariously low. RMR presumes you are doing nothing but lying around. even sitting at your computer will do more because your brain is ostensibly firing.

If it was a situation of waiting for rescue, I would absolutely argue for rationing and relying on fire for signalling help and body warmth. This would also allow us to rig a suitable shelter, and that's a good long while of survival right there.

However, we are moving and expending energy at a tremedous rate compared to being at rest, and this puts a massive strain on the body (particularly at that weight), and we will need to keep calorie intake high just to avoid disabling fatigue and damage to our muscles. There's also the issue of starvation affecting your immune system (don't know if the game simulates this) making you more prone to tendonitis.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Even eating 16oz of bread (450-ish grams) doesn't push Goonpa's hunger above so-so. I suspect this will be a running theme. We also drink enough to make him not-thirsty, before taking a short rest and setting off again.

After another almost hour and a half of walking, the terrain looks much the same. With no real new information provided, we take another small sip of water, a short rest, and go for another 90 minutes. At this point, you can assume that I'll always be drinking and taking at least 5-10 every time we stop.

The river looks a lot closer now, but I wouldn't dare guess if we're able to reach it before nightfall.

Looking to our right and left respectively gives us a better indication of how much progress we have made, however.

The sun is getting pretty low in the sky now, so we may need to make a decision on how much further to push before making camp the first night.

We're still in decent shape, however. You'll also note that the slope indicator shows that we're actually going slightly downhill now.

So, do we want to make any adjustments to our course at this point? (feel free to ask for views of any particular directions or landmarks) How many more hours are we walking today before making camp?

Covski fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 25, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How long does it take to set camp / gather wood / fill our canteen with snow and boil it?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Seems like we don't have much daylight left. Might be time to be thinking about setting up a camp. We have to hang up our food and sort out our shelter and fire, because it's freezing cold.

We seem to have walked 7% of the way towards our goal, which is probably a good indication of what we're ideally capable of at average. This means that barring significant diversion from the straightest path and lowered condition/illness/accident etc. we ought to be able to get where we're going in 13 days. Assuming we started walking midday, we can shave some of that off, but also assuming we're not going to go in a straight line problem-free, we can add some time, so I'll say we'll average out at about two weeks travel. This really shows how fat and useless we are, because I'm pretty sure I've covered the distance we're going in less than half that time in similar environments when hunting or mountain trekking, and I'm not an athlete by any means.

I'm really wondering about the size of that creek. Trying to navigate more north at this point points us more uphill and is no benefit when it comes to night-time. We also don't know if we can't just skip over a tiny creek or if that tiny blue line is impassable rapids. I'd suggest the latter given the angle of the terrain I'm seeing, but honestly we just don't know. Even so, if we reach the creek and it's impassable, we can decide which way to head and travel next to water at least, even if we lose a little time travelling.

I suggest we set up camp for now, hang up some food and get a fire going.

I assume there's some penalty for trying to do that poo poo after dark, and october gets dark pretty fast. Temperature is gonna drop as well. Let's not hope there's an afternoon shower.

Affi posted:

How long does it take to set camp / gather wood / fill our canteen with snow and boil it?

Don't think there's any snow to be had. But yeah, how long does the game think setting up camp takes?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's Ingebjerg Totenlefse, nine times national champion lutefisk-thrower from Sykkylven. I'd recognize that throwing arm anywhere.

Oh and by the way if you thought I was kidding

https://tikkio.com/tickets/5475-nm-i-torrfesk-kasting

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Affi posted:

Since we are lugging the tent around, we can simply use the MAKE CAMP command, which takes 30 minutes to pitch our tent and arranging our stuff. If we specify a longer period of time, anything after the first 30 is used for rest. If we didn't have a tent, we'd have to construct some other type of shelter, which would take a variable amount of time depending on on the shelter and what tools we have available.

Making a fire similarly takes a variable amount of time, depending on conditions, tools used, and a bit of luck. We have access to matches as well as fuel if need be, which is a whole lot quicker than rubbing sticks together. Using a magnifying glass can be decently quick to, but relies on the sun being up and strong enough to light the kindling.

No snow unfortunately, unless we want to scale one of the humongous mountains.

We seem to have walked 7% of the way towards our goal, .

[...]

I assume there's some penalty for trying to do that poo poo after dark, and october gets dark pretty fast.

The goal indicator is actually a bit less straightforward than that: The manual isn't entirely clear, but is is a measure of our effectiveness in getting to our destination measured in time and route taken. You can think of it as a score counter going down with time, I guess. Asking the game for CLUEs will also decrease our goal percentage. I'm unclear whether or not reaching the ranger station going at maximum possible speed along the shortest possible route would allow you to win with a 100% goal score, or if it always goes down a fixed percentage per day or something.

Doing anything in the dark is a penalty to the time taken, and thus energy expended. Using a flashlight or having a fire will decrease or remove this penalty all together.

You silly Norwegians :allears: Between this and the Finnish wife-carrying competitions, us Swedes appear like the only sane ones when it comes to competitive weird stuff.

Also I glossed over your bit before about doing the Nijmegen marsch: I have a few friends who do it semi-regularly, and I've been close to going myself several times, but never felt I had enough time train up my "walking huge distances on asphalt" skills. Still hoping to go some other year, but until then I'm quite happy to just being regaled by stories of feet essentially turning into bags of blood by the fourth day :)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

The goal indicator is actually a bit less straightforward than that: The manual isn't entirely clear, but is is a measure of our effectiveness in getting to our destination measured in time and route taken. You can think of it as a score counter going down with time, I guess. Asking the game for CLUEs will also decrease our goal percentage. I'm unclear whether or not reaching the ranger station going at maximum possible speed along the shortest possible route would allow you to win with a 100% goal score, or if it always goes down a fixed percentage per day or something.

Doing anything in the dark is a penalty to the time taken, and thus energy expended. Using a flashlight or having a fire will decrease or remove this penalty all together.

Dangit. Well, then. Does that mean we're going the wrong way? Or will we lose 7% a day until surviving isn't an accomplishment at all? I actually figure our travel time to be much less than 14 days going by the map, so that actually makes sense.

Definitely MAKE CAMP though, get a fire going and HANG BACKPACK for drat sure. I hope there's trees around?

Covski posted:

You silly Norwegians :allears: Between this and the Finnish wife-carrying competitions, us Swedes appear like the only sane ones when it comes to competitive weird stuff.

Also I glossed over your bit before about doing the Nijmegen marsch: I have a few friends who do it semi-regularly, and I've been close to going myself several times, but never felt I had enough time train up my "walking huge distances on asphalt" skills. Still hoping to go some other year, but until then I'm quite happy to just being regaled by stories of feet essentially turning into bags of blood by the fourth day :)

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaninhoppning

Also, you should totally do Nijmegen at least once. It's an incredible experience, and all the prep you really need is just walk a good 500 kilometers on asphalt to prep, keep it close to 120 steps per minute, remember to drink water and learn how to tape up your feet. You're all set. It's the funnest to do it in the military though, every contingent that wasn't a bunch of pussies finished the march by marching into the beer tent in jæger march (double quick time lifted knees walking pace).

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I suggest we set up camp for now, hang up some food and get a fire going.

Agreed.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Agreed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm okay with setting up camp for resting purposes, but we don't have to worry about losing light. We've got two hours just to sundown.

Covski, are you willing to take 'bearings' on a given landmark using the compass? It would seem with this game you'd have to pick a heading and adjust until the object is in the center. Alternately, give us a rough indication of how many degrees a given view covers.

If you do them, take one on Steep Mountain, and then on the hill in the southeast corner of the map (with the four tree-bits on it).

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

lofi posted:

Agreed.

I hadn't bothered doing my own legwork on estimating position, but this matches my intuition.

Kangra posted:

I'm okay with setting up camp for resting purposes, but we don't have to worry about losing light. We've got two hours just to sundown.

Covski, are you willing to take 'bearings' on a given landmark using the compass? It would seem with this game you'd have to pick a heading and adjust until the object is in the center. Alternately, give us a rough indication of how many degrees a given view covers.

If you do them, take one on Steep Mountain, and then on the hill in the southeast corner of the map (with the four tree-bits on it).

Oooh, good idea, let's do that just for the sake of confirmation.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Kangra posted:

Steep mountain is 246 degrees magnetic from our position.

And Southeast Corner Mountain is unfortunately obscured by a copse of trees, but roughly 98 degrees magnetic if our assumptions are correct.

The small lake/river area isn't totally apparent on the full view topo map, but can be seen if we zoom in on the SE quadrant.

Let's cook the current discussion down to one vote. Do we:

A) Make camp for the night right here, right now?

or

B) Keep going while we have daylight to burn? If so, in what direction and for how long?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Make camp.

With 2 weeks to go, 1-2 extra miles today won't make much of a difference.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Make camp now, and try to make fire without using our matches - if we can, that's great, if it starts getting dark we can use a couple.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Make camp. It seems we're rather close to the river, and I want to deal with that well rested and with plenty of daylight. Seconding trying to make a fire without matches, and we'll make sure to eat up and drink some water. And hang our backpack (with the food all in it).

Do we need to worry about defecation in this game? If so, we should try to figure that out, too.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Good point - we could use the light we have to empty goonpa well away from where we're camping for the night?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you do not need to worry about defecation

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Goonpa poopsocks.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If this were somehow a scenario in which I was a ghost guiding Goonpa on a trip to safety, I'd insist on going to the river for the psychological boost it'd grant to have reached a tangible goal.

I think for the game, we're fine staying here, since it's awfully close and reachable in the morning.

Here's the triangulation; we're within a couple miles of the river most likely.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 26, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I say walk until nightfall and make camp when it’s about to get dark.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Seems like the general consensus is to camp here for now!

The general idea seems to be to pitch our tent, hang our food, and see if we can make a fire using sticks. Anything else we want/need to do with our ample free time?

What food do we want to prioritise for dinner/breakfast? For how long do we want to sleep?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Covski posted:

What food do we want to prioritise for dinner/breakfast? For how long do we want to sleep?

Bologna sandwich for dinner (bread and bologna) so that it doesn't go bad. Bacon and apple for breakfast as a proper goon should. The apple should help top off the water.

We should try to wake up 2 hours before sunrise so we can break camp and eat breakfast. A person should be able to walk in the wilderness and see landmarks once its Civil Twilight (sun 6 degrees below the horizon) so let's head out just before dawn.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
We probably should walk further. Tomorrow we need to spend time purifying water too it’d be a real boon to reach the river before nightfall.

We could walk in the dark with a flashlight and compass.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eat our most perishable food first.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Don't forget to change into our warm gear when we stop moving!

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
:rip: Goonpa, he never scored woke up from his diabetic coma

Goonspeed, you brave soul

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

No worries, just distracted by real life things! :) Updates will resume in the near future. Goonpa will never die not die in such an unspectacular fashion!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Covski posted:

Goonpa will not die in such an unspectacular fashion!

[citation needed]

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Anyone have any survivor situation book recommendations to read alongside this LP?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17085384-going-home
:v:

It's survivalist American Psycho, and hilarious reading.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen has got to be the closest to Goonpa's situation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Into The Wild

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jaguars! posted:

I remember that I read that as a kid, but I remember almost nothing about it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ1ZOFNBL68

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jaguars! posted:

Pretty close, but Goonpa has pockets full of candy, a map, a raft, and a definite site to go to for rescue that's a couple days walk from his start. That'd make a much less compelling book.

If Goonpa - one of the sickest, oldest, fattest humans on the planet - makes it out alive, then this simulation truly demonstrates that Mankind has conquered the world and crushed nature.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Hatchet is a decent book. It goes over some stuff and illustrates some stuff the MC does absolutely wrong and he suffers for it. But a lot of what happens is also because he's absurdly lucky. In some ways the book does acknowledge that

There's a sequel that I think is more gritty and less kid oriented

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

MAKE CAMP THEN HANG BACKPACK

We spend an hour making camp and safely hang our backpack out of reach from curious animals. The game expects you to use the DROP BACKPACK command when stopping to do something, otherwise you happily do strenuous work with a full load of potatoes on your back. I tried to make it another backpack-related gotcha moment since you didn't explicitly tell me to drop it, but pitching a tent is low-effort enough that the extra fatigue wasn't noticeable. :saddowns:

We get a neat little view of our tent. This is the same perspective as we would get from using the LOOK DOWN command, which I haven't shown off yet.

Unfortunately, we don't have proper materials available to make a fire without matches. I'm not sure whether this is because we needed to be in a more wooden area, or if the sticks are too wet in this locale to use as a fire starting tool.

It's a bit of a shame that we don't get to see our fire in the view screen, but at least it's there on the inventory screen! You might also notice that we're minus one match.

We didn't bring any bologna with us, so it's more bread and water for dinner. This should be enough to survive the night, even for goonpa.

By now the time is slightly after 6 pm, and the sun has disappeared behind Steep Mountain. We could probably have walked for a few more miles today, but as is there's not much left to do but settle down for the night to get an early start tomorrow. As a general rule,it's probably better to err on the side of caution and camping earlier than strictly necessary, rather then risk getting caught out in the dark, especially if you're in an area where you're not quite sure when the sun sets.

ENTER TENT
DROP SLEEPING BAG
ENTER SLEEPING BAG

Yup, the game doesn't necessarily assume that just because you spent all that time building your shelter and have a cozy sleeping bag lying right there, that you actually want to USE either of them. Again, the game happily abstracts away some things while requiring a strange degree of micromanagement regarding others.

Goonpa tucks himself in, and quickly falls into a deep and well needed sleep.

We wake up a few hours later because we are sweating - it's usually fine to put on or remove clothes while sleeping without any dire consequences, so we take off our sweater. Hopefully this should be enough. Now, in a real life situation, it's important to use a separate set of clothes for sleeping, and preferably sleeping in as little clothes as is practicable for keeping warm. This is because sweating and condensation will make the clothes damp as you sleep, and walking around in damp clothes will both be uncomfortable as well as making you get cold a whole lot more quickly. Staying dry in a cold climate is absolutely essential - wet skin loses heat somewhere between six and eight times as quickly as dry skin. Also, damp and sweaty clothes are very liable to make you chafe in places you absolutely don't want to be chafing, regardless of the temperature.

I tried to use the command LOOK STARS here, since we were up anyways. This would normally place the North Star in the middle of our view, an excellent tool for navigation. Sadly, the Canadian night is cloudy. We'll get to see it some other time! Also note that Mountain-Behind-Steep-Mountain isn't visible in the dark.

We get a few more hours of sleep, before we're notified that the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

I'm not sure whether or not October 5 is exceptionally early for heavy snow in BC, but here we have it! This is both good and bad: On one hand, snow will slow us down and make it harder to keep dry and warm, as well as making navigation harder (we can't even see Steep Mountain anymore!). On the other hand, the snow will handily solve our water issues, so that's some compensation at least!

Goonpa wakes up before dawn, and cooks a hearty meal of freeze dried bacon on the still smouldering fire (fires never go out on their own accord - it's assumed that we keep stoking it as we go along), and packs his tent and sleeping bag.

By 6 am, we're prepared to set off. The sun is coming up, but visibility is still quite bad. However, the weather seems to be taking a turn for the better once more.

Discussion points:

Do we want to get going as soon as possible, or do we want to stay put and see if we can wait out the heaviest snowfalls?

What else do we want/need to do before setting off?

In what direction are we headed?

As usual, feel free to ask for any additional information or views of directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Can we tell how much snow ended up on the ground? If we're trudging through much, we might want to consider solutions.

Also, is it a bad idea to just fill our water bottle up with snow?