Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I don't think we have our position quite right. We see a mountain to our north (with a river on it's west side, looks like), but if I'm reading the map right, our estimated position should see a saddle between mountains, with a lake in a depression beyond that. I'd guesstimate us further to the east, but needs to compare pics to map a little more.

Beyond that, I agree with the plan. We can get looting/packing while we work on our position a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

lofi posted:

Yeah, I think you're right, that would make more sense. If we're nearer the edge of the map, positioning is going to be tricky with so much we can't see - we'll need to basically ignore everything we can see to the east.

Current guesstimate!

Now that I'm distinguishing forests and rivers right, that seems like it could be it.

A quick note, I don't know if any of us were accounting for the magnetic declination. I'm not sure which way it goes. Wikipedia seemed to suggest that a positive declination means our compass points us clockwise of our actual direction. But this position only makes sense if we assume that's it's the other way round. And I couldn't see other locations that made sense to me. I'm gonna assume it's right for now. When we start walking, we should be able to sort such things out pretty quickly.

The good news is that the original travel plan is still pretty much valid. The bad news is that we may have an additional river crossing. When we start walking (after seeing what we have from the plane), we should initiall head along level ground to west-north-west (west on our compass). That should take us roughly to where we first estimated we were.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Based on the existing discussion, I say we take two sets of clothes (and starting walking in the light ones), the ground cover, the sleeping bag, the raft, the stove (and fuel!), the matches, and a selection of food. Maybe other things, but we'll want those at the least.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Take the rock. Eat some food before we go (after all, the best way to store water food is in your body).

And that heading looks about right. I agree about 1.5 hours should be good to double-check our position, orientation, and condition.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Looks like we're wearing the right clothes for our walk right now. I agree with resting and then continuing in the same direction.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm not sure how much, but we should definitely drink.

And I like the idea of eating some bread. Then NNW (315 magnetic?) for 1.5 hours.

Also, lofi, thanks for the map updates. You're matching my feel for our position.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangra posted:

I'd still argue for heading about 300 magnetic (I realized we need to be clear about stating the bearing system) since turning far northerly adds a fair amount of distance to our trip toward the river. On the other hand we may be moving pretty quickly, so it's hard to say. If we go a few hours at a time then later adjustments are okay.

I think the idea is to try and get further upstream on the river we need to cross, before meeting the river that goes around Steep Mountain. I'm torn on this, as you point out it'll increase the distance we walk (and worse, it's uphill), but I'm really dreading that river crossing.

Also, lofi described the rivers as in-the-way-river and the dogleg river. I say we make those our official names: In-The-Way-River and Dogleg River.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Coolguye posted:

there is the TASTE command.

TASTE-ing most wild plant life will give you a pretty good idea of how good it is to eat. human tongues are a lot more sensitive than people give them credit for, and we can discern most poisons as bitter. this is less true in the case of mushrooms, but leafy plants and fruits follow this rule pretty well.

Well then, let's be tasting everything we see on this walk. Obviously if it's bitter we'll spit it back out, but everything else should be fair game.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Hey, I never said tasting (and possibly eating) everything we find was a good idea, it just seems in character.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Nice piece of fish posted:

I suggest we set up camp for now, hang up some food and get a fire going.

Agreed.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

lofi posted:

Agreed.

I hadn't bothered doing my own legwork on estimating position, but this matches my intuition.

Kangra posted:

I'm okay with setting up camp for resting purposes, but we don't have to worry about losing light. We've got two hours just to sundown.

Covski, are you willing to take 'bearings' on a given landmark using the compass? It would seem with this game you'd have to pick a heading and adjust until the object is in the center. Alternately, give us a rough indication of how many degrees a given view covers.

If you do them, take one on Steep Mountain, and then on the hill in the southeast corner of the map (with the four tree-bits on it).

Oooh, good idea, let's do that just for the sake of confirmation.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Make camp. It seems we're rather close to the river, and I want to deal with that well rested and with plenty of daylight. Seconding trying to make a fire without matches, and we'll make sure to eat up and drink some water. And hang our backpack (with the food all in it).

Do we need to worry about defecation in this game? If so, we should try to figure that out, too.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Can we tell how much snow ended up on the ground? If we're trudging through much, we might want to consider solutions.

Also, is it a bad idea to just fill our water bottle up with snow?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Yes, when we do go (which should be soon), make sure we pick up all our things, and let's go in the same direction.

We'll hit the river before long, and will need to figure out how to cross it.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangra posted:

Going on the game's scale where everything is about 4-5 times larger than normal, I'm guessing a marked river isn't able to be crossed easily. Comparatively 50-100 feet wide here, I'd guess.

Originally I was arguing for heading to the river since we needed water; I'd push for going uphill and around it at this point. I'd say adjust course to 325º magnetic for 1 hour and then set camp.

I second this plan. Also rationing food and boiling snow (or water) when we set camp at night.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Raft, but seconding the double-check of our clothes.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I saw we walk a very short distance west (297 magnetic, unless I'm messing up the math again), which should match Fish's direction. We can see how that's affecting our pace, and then decide if we need to stop and rest. I say we keep the raft, we can use that for getting to the end.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I agree to not go with 297, and aim for the saddle instead.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That's definitely the right direction. We look set to intersect Dogleg River near the slope of Steep Mountain, where we can follow it.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm in favor of the plan to rest and fish for a day, try to warm our hands on a fire, and see if we can't trap something furry enough to make mittens from.

Also for dropping the repellent and snakebite kit.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I forgot about the rice. How about we cook it for our dinner and breakfasts, leaving the other food as stuff we can eat while walking?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

A.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Black Robe posted:

We've also got the stove and its fuel while we're stopped, though I think consensus is pretty much in favour of leaving it behind when we go. Might as well use it up, keep the stove burning constantly.

I second this plan.

Also at least experimenting with the magnifying glass. We should see if we can get it to work, otherwise it's something else for the junk pile.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I can't recall, what were our conclusions about the snakebite kit? And would the tennis shoes actually be useful?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Coolguye posted:

1) it's too drat cold for snakes and the game doesn't even spawn any venomous snakes in this place anyway
2) in one word: lol

That's what I thought. I agree we should drop them.

Well, unless we can think of an entertaining purpose to them.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Keep the rock, run a test to see if sleeping in the forest is necessary.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Covski posted:

This thread is still alive gosh darn it :bahgawd:

Even more surprisingly, Goonpa is still alive. Though if we leave the rock, not for long.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I like lofi's plan.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm with plan B.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Keep the raft, grab the trap, leave the stove.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

C, C

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

lofi posted:

We should be entering wooded area soon, so maybe we'll find something to eat before goonpa deleriously eats his leg.

Your map continues to match my notions of where we are. Good work!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

We should raft now. I'm worried though, because it looks like there might be another river in the way afterwards.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

lofi posted:

Yup, we called it endboss river for a reason.

I meant the one starting in the south-west marsh and flowing south. It looks like it could extend north enough to be a problem.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangra posted:

Are you talking about the blue line in the marsh/woodland near where we are, a little to the west? That's a contour line rendering there, as there's no river drawn on the original terrain map (without contours).

Or do you mean the area Endboss drains into? We don't need to cross anything there, since our goal is not to exit but to reach the ranger station.

Ah, I was seeing the strangely shaded contour line. That's a relief.

Though given our overall status, relief is the last thing I should feel.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Black Robe posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a contour line that's purple because it's overlaid by forest.

And it's named Bullshit Creek, even though it doesn't exist. Because it already caused some confusion.

Anyways, I tentatively agree with the plan unless there are other ideas or are objections. It's a little bit uphill, but there's always the chance for fish.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Concur, magnetic west.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'd be interested to try the challenge. It's liable to go hilariously wrong, but that's the fun of it!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

He made it so much further than i would have expected (you know, more than two steps). Rest well, Goonpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I got as far as downloading it, even launching it I think. But I have so many other things to do in my free time, like reading LPs.