Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Coolguye posted:

actually, real question: Covski, do you intend to just do one game, or do you intend to basically go through this until we're all doing this competently?

most of your LPs have been the former, but this game has a TON of content and would really benefit from the latter.

I mean, based on thread choices so far, if there's only going to be one run it won't even make the second page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

If this was real survival we'd be able to eat the bodies of the other passengers :colbert:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

What kind of gun is it, do we have any way of knowing? Is it capable of killing anything or just trying to scare it?

Also not convinced we're going to be able to carry most of this stuff. If only the goonmind had created a vaguely functioning human body to use.

edit: does the stove come with any kind of pot? I figure we'll need to boil our drinking water but that's only useful if we have something to boil it in.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 18, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

StoryTime posted:

How do people feel about the fishing rod? One thing I'm worried about, is that thanks to our bad condition, we just don't have the energy to walk through all the light hours. If we can't move all day, we'll also need more food to reach the cabin. Fishing could be an useful low energy activity, if and when we're too tired to push on. Do we need bait for the rod we have, or does it have a lure? I'm not sure how to go about finding bait this late in the year. Maybe cut the bark off a rotting log, insects could be hibernating there? Perhaps there are clams in the river?

Even assuming Goonpa knows anything about fishing, and that there is bait or a lure, the temperature is 'freezing'. We probably don't want to be standing still for any length of time if we can avoid it, even with our blubber. If we get too tired to keep walking we'll need shelter and preferably fire. And someone noted earlier there's a decent chance the area around the river is marshy.

Not sure the stove is worth carrying given that it's been confirmed there's no way of boiling water on it. Goonpa can eat raw food if he has to. Likewise no point taking stuff like rice because we can't cook that. Potatoes, possibly, we can cook those on any fire we manage, but I don't know if it's worth the weight.

edit: actually no, we should take the stove just for heat. We can always drop it later.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 18, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...I just noticed there's a rock listed on the inventory screen.

Is it a special rock?

Is it the only rock we'll have access to?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Take the rock.

We should walk a short distance north west as a trial run to see just how ludicrously bad it's going to be. And if it turns out we're going to keel over after two hours we should say 'gently caress it', get on the raft and see if we're fat enough to sink it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Remember to pick up the backpack before we leave.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

habituallyred posted:

If we cannot raft this river then ditch the raft. If we weigh more than the raft can support, why did we bring it?

For the same reason that we chose to be an elderly obese dwarf in the first place and for the same reason we're also carrying a rock.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...I think I'm moving faster than 0.2mph right now, and I'm still in bed. Sheesh.

Can we find out anything more about the river via commands? How deep it is, how fast the water's moving, if there are handy rocks/branches etc? If we do decide to raft it we want the narrowest point and preferably want to aim for slow moving areas and/or obstacles to stop us getting pushed downstream. If it's shallow enough we might consider wading - admittedly the chances of it being shallow enough for our dwarf here to get away with it are basically zero, but in reality wet feet is less of a risk than wet everything provided we deal with it immediately on the other side and absolutely do not get our clothing wet. It might be cold enough that the edges are frozen in slower spots, too.

Heck, given that Goonpa's about as wide as he is tall he probably has enough literal blubber to trivialise the hypothermia risk anyway. Losing a couple of fingers or toes is better than dying.

And no, absolutely do not drop the lucky rock. (It doesn't weigh enough to make a difference anyway.)

Another argument in favour of rationing - if we cut Goonpa's intake down enough he might have lost enough weight by the time we reach the other river to make the raft a better idea.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, that was hilariously anti-climactic :v:

I give full credit to our lucky rock.

It's only 2pm, the weather's clear and Goonpa's still full, so I'd be inclined to push on for another hour to 90 minutes before we stop for the night - that should still leave us with enough daylight to get our tent pitched, backpack stowed, fire lit, snow melted, etc etc. If we stop within sight of trees, make snowshoes.

He's tired, but it's not like he can move much slower than he already does.

As for direction, I am very challenged as far as figuring that poo poo out goes and shall defer to my fellow goons.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm simultaneously amused by how much we're clearly overthinking things and impressed by how much the game actually does model.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Too lazy to go find our last inventory screen, now we're out of potatoes we should be eating whatever the next heaviest food in our pack is unless we have anything perishable that won't last any longer.

Insert usual paranoid reminder to pick up all our stuff before we move on.

Our current course seems to still be sensible, once we're at the saddle we should have a better view of where we are and what the land looks like ahead of us and we can plan the next leg. (Pre emptively voting for sliding down any snowy slopes on the raft wherever possible.)

Is there going to be an additional tiredness penalty from Goonpa (presumably) never having worn snowshoes before? They use different muscles and take a bit of getting used to. If the game doesn't model that, we should be moving a lot easier today, and we've eaten our heaviest food as well.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I can't parse any of the ways to help frostbite into commands the game would recognise. Goonpa needs to stuff his gloves with whatever he can find and improvise mittens to wear on top with more insulation stuffed between glove and mitten, and keep his hands wedged in warm spots as much as possible - under his arms, between his legs while he sleeps, between handy rolls of fat, etc. Keeping the worst affected fingers in his mouth would help if there's no other option. But I don't think we can tell the game how to do any of that, and the manual is no help.

I think Goonpa might lose a couple of fingers in our quest for cheetos at the ranger station.

It might almost be worth stopping for a day or two; we're by a river in a forest, we're not going to find a friendlier environment. We have unlimited water and firewood. Can we use game commands to find out if there's signs of wildlife? Maybe there are plants in the river, and we have fishing gear with us. Are we able to make snares or other traps? We have a gun as well. If there's a reasonable chance of success we could stop here for a bit, keep a fire going as much as possible to try and save our hands, and attempt to collect better food to take with us - maybe even some fur to make mittens if we're really lucky. Goonpa will eat less if he's not hiking all day too.

Thoughts?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I guess since we can't wear socks on our hands we can't shove our hands in the tennis shoes either?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Voting A.

We do not have enough food to take us all the way to the ranger station. We'll have to stop and try to supply at some point no matter what, unless we die first or literally fall over a mysterious fresh-killed moose with no predators around. Doing it now gives us the best chance of potentially thawing out our frozen hands and potentially getting hold of something furry to rig mittens out of, while we still have all our fingers and no additional injuries/issues.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 20, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

While we're talking about rabbits, what about rabbit fever? Is that a possible issue?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zanzibar Ham posted:

We'll be fine as long as we don't run into a certain wily hare that made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.

Although we do have a gun and magic pebble...

Be vewy vewy quiet

Goonpa's hunting wabbits

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 21, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We've also got the stove and its fuel while we're stopped, though I think consensus is pretty much in favour of leaving it behind when we go. Might as well use it up, keep the stove burning constantly.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Will Goonpa continue to waddle towards salvation soon? I was enjoying this thread.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Thanks for keeping us updated. Stay cool. Think snowy thoughts.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Goonpa keeps on rolling! :dance:

I agree with the plan. If we can, try to time the relighting of the fire to be during daylight hours as much as possible to save matches. Otherwise I don't think I have anything to add. Everyone pray to the ancestral rock for good fishing/trapping luck.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Happy early birthday!

I vote to roll back the save. This wasn't us making a stupid decision, as such - you tried to put the backpack somewhere safe and the game said no. (There are trees in this general area, that's why we camped here. I call bullshit that there wasn't one within easy hobbling distance, especially given that we're on the bank of a goddamn river.) I want to see how far Goonpa can get.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Cicadalek posted:

Restore the save, but leave the rock behind. No second chances, it can protect you no longer.

Heretic! Your faith is weak! May you forever forget to pick your stuff up when you leave anywhere!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I just want to state for the record that I am genuinely proud that it was my idle 'hey, why is there a rock on the inventory screen' comment right at the beginning that started a cult. :allears:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I assume you foolishly left the rock behind and Goonpa immediately got eaten by a moose.

Let that be a lesson to us all.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yay, Goonpa's alive!

...though possibly not for very long. Erk.

I don't like option A - none of our reasons for wanting to stop have changed and I think Goonpa's going to keel over if we try and move on with little food and worsening frostbite. I'm thinking a compromise between B and C - we spend most of each day in camp by a fire hoping the trap will produce something, and leave for short foraging trips.

We spend an interval of time per day looking for a fishing spot and trying to catch fish, maybe make one or two attempts at lighting a fire with our magnifying glass once we're at a spot - if we succeed in doing so we can stay at the fishing spot for more time, if not we don't waste time trying over and over.

I'm not sure how the time would break down. Say something arbitrary like ~12 hours in camp with a fire, ~2 hours for checking the trap (depends how far it is from camp), ~2 hours for fishing with no fire/~4 hours for fishing if we light a fire within, say, three attempts. (This depends on how easy it is to find fishing spots and if the game is nice enough to let us go back to spots once we've found them.)

I don't know how long we should stick with this, either. If catching fish turns out to be simple/the trap pays out and we manage to stay something close to calorie positive we should keep it up at least until we recover from frostbite. I suspect it won't be that easy though, so maybe we give up once we've used all the fuel in the stove we'll be leaving behind, or some other benchmark?

And this is all weather dependent, too. If it starts snowing heavily and continually or something similar I think we have to bail and leave while we still can.

I'm just spitballing here, hopefully someone else has a better plan. Good to see the LP continuing regardless.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think my problem is that I keep assuming it's like The Long Dark, which is much more thorough about modelling everything because it's a much newer game with a lot more available tricks (and yet is less realistic in a lot of ways). If we go on to do a second run in a jungle type scenario I'll hopefully stop mentally playing the wrong game :downs:

I guess we stay put for now and experiment a bit with how much warmth the stove gives off and how easy it is to light fires, then experiment with fishing once we've got a better idea of where we stand?

Maybe we'll have a miracle and something furry will fall into the trap immediately. Or maybe while we're sitting in camp something will wander in and wait for us to shoot it. Once Goonpa has mittens we'll be in much better shape, at least until the next body part fails.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Covski posted:

Next update will be later today or sometime tomorrow.

Ahem.

i nag because i care

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Of course Goonpa recovered, guy's been asleep for like four months :v:

Plan still looks solid, let's get rolling. How easy is it to forage while walking? Can you ask the game to do that for you or do you literally have to stop every twenty-thirty feet to look around manually?

Glad to see you back.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fair enough. I figure if there's food growing anywhere it'll be along the river, so yeah, might as well just get to moving. Set the trap whenever we stop to sleep, we might get lucky. Shame we can't flip the fishing line into the water while we walk along; maybe we fish for an hour before sleep every night, or an hour every morning before we head out?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Covski posted:

Also finger's crossed Goonpa didn't accidentally forget to bring along anything important :ohdear:

You left the rock behind, didn't you.

Covski posted:

Now, let just look at our statistics before making camp and

:saddowns:

Okay, the frostbite is back.

Now look what happened. :colbert:

I'm not sure what the best course is for the first choice. A would be fine if we were sure this wasn't going to keep happening, but stopping every two or three days for a full day is not sustainable. I have no idea how brutal the game is and how quickly the frostbite will have an impact on us, especially as it doesn't tell us where it is; if it's his ears or something we can keep going and ignore it but if it's his feet we're in trouble, and hands would depend on how many fingers.

I think we need to go with B and use the magnifying glass for a short fire break in the middle of the day, and if the glass doesn't work then have a longer rest at night instead. At least try it for a couple of days and see if our food situation is getting too dire to keep it going. I'd hope after 11 hours of walking we might have spotted something edible.

As for the second choice, I say C - we're running low on food anyway and aren't having any luck restocking. Goonpa's doing surprisingly well, losing weight can only help him at the moment.

fake edit - Majority say C for the first option as well, I'll defer to the thread. I assume the game will warn us when the frostbite gets really severe, we'll worry about it then.

C, C

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We developed frostbite and began to starve after abandoning the rock :colbert:

On the plus side, hey, actual food. We're doing okay. Shame the unidentified small animals ran away, we could really use some fur from something

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Glad you're still alive :dance:

I kept wanting to post and ask, and then I realised it's always me nagging and decided to mind my own for once!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I don't see what else we can do except keep on going. We're looking for food and making decent decisions, but the Dread God Arengee isn't letting us find anything useful. Try to ration our remaining nuts and hope for some luck; we don't have many options left.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh look, it's that thing we spent ages debating the chances of. Welp.

Doesn't really change our overall plan at this point, though. Keep going as best we can, try desperately to find more food along the way, hope not to die. We're... surprisingly close to our goal, all things considered, since by rights we should have keeled over days ago.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Just do it. Goonpa's on borrowed time here, time to push his bloated, diseased carcass to the absolute limit.

I predict we're going to fall over and poo poo ourselves to death six feet from salvation. Therefore everything up until a mile or so from the ranger station is going to be completely survivable.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Nice piece of fish posted:

HE LIVES!

Okay, that's unexpected. I would suggest something like this to: keep as close to the river for water and fish for as long as possible, be in forest for as long as possible, and we'll know when to start heading west northwest to Endboss once the tip of Endboss mountain is to our north northeast (compass bearing in the 5-10 range) and we avoid whatever the hell that wetland mini river thing is.

I'm pretty sure that's just a contour line that's purple because it's overlaid by forest.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's about time we had some luck, the game's been really, really mean to us where food is concerned. We should almost have enough supplies to make it now, as long as we can keep our various health issues more or less under control and don't get lost or injured.

Eat the fruit first, since that won't keep. Carry the meat raw for another day, then cook it and continue carrying it until we run out of fruit. Save what's left of the nuts.

Clever goons can figure out exact directions allowing for magnetic declination and such, but at this point just heading vaguely north west will bring us to Endboss River sooner or later.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That's fair. It's a miracle he's gotten this far, and we have more food than we've had in quite some time, so we can take a day to rest and recover.

Not sure why he's miserable suddenly though. He's been sick for a while without seeming too bothered and we've made some real progress recently, he ought to be feeling pretty drat optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I can relate.