Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I like your lp, but I've got a serious nostalgia for Mecca's hatred of signs

Burn them all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
But without birdphone showing up, can you truly say you've completed the game?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thank you for playing what is IMO the most under-rated Zelda. Nintendo please give it the ALBW treatment TIA.

I don't know if you spent much time in the library at the start of the game, but if you try to read the secret book early on you'll get a message that the text is too small to decipher. You're only able to read it once you have the Magnifying Glass from the trading sequence, which I think makes this the only Zelda game where the trading sequence is "mandatory" in order to beat the game.

E: Also the end credit music loving rules

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 22, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Trump Card posted:

But without birdphone showing up, can you truly say you've completed the game?

That was Marin's wish to the Windfish. It only looked like a seagull from a distance. We cannot comprehend the true form.

Also, thanks Thornbrain and Meccaprime for the cool trip into the GB handhelds.

Link's Awakening is one of the few video games that my dad has played to completion for his own enjoyment, and not just to help me and my sister out. It was a big family deal trying to solve this grand adventure on this tiny tiny cartridge, on a barely viewable screen. :unsmith: So, of course I'm massively biased to this one, as a favourite.

[e]: This game rules. The music rules. The LP'ers rule. Hy rules .B̡̨̡͔̱̫͍͓̪̠̃͒́̓̓̌̈í͇͓̰͈͛̀͒̔̈̕̕͞͠ͅȓ̜̦̯̭͔̖́͌́͊̾͌̀̚͢͝ͅḑ̵͚̭̠̰͙̣̓͗̓̄̈́̄̾̕͟͝͞p̶̛̞̩͈̝͚̯̀͊̂̐͝ḣ̗̹̼̎̅͑̔͌̉͘͢ͅo͎̮̘̦̳̮͈̍̔͗͋̂̐̀͘̚͜n̷̨̛͔̬͉̗̆̑̔̊͌͘͡͝͠e̵̡̖̮̥̥̮͔̙͂͐̓͗́͟s̸̛̗̣̤̼͔̗̔̀͊̄̔͋̋͢ ŗ̸̛͍͔̤̬̐̅̋͋̅͐ȗ̵̢͕͎̤̺̹̯͕͔̅͋̄̿̈́͋̈͂̓͢l̛̝̪̠̥̺̋̔̍͝e̴̬̟͕͇̙̿͋̆̏̍̃̏̅̓͒s̨̧̡͓̣̼̙̩̣̻̊̐͒͘̚͞

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 22, 2018

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Bruceski posted:

It's a major speedrun thing. Knowing that cuts out having to do most (maybe all, I can't recall what else is skippable) of the trading game.

only up to the bananas is required for trading.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think i missed the boat on link's awakening because for whatever reason it always felt more unfinished than the oracle games did, which is weird because usually i'm pretty fine with a little bit of jank in games

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Silegna posted:

only up to the bananas is required for trading.

Although if you don't at least give poor Papahl some vittles so he can make it back from the mountain, drat you're heartless.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Since the Link's Awakening LP is finished I can finally post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKFWGw9jMA

Whoever did this rendition of Ballad of the Wind Fish did a really good job. It instantly brought back into my memory the ending sequence with everyone vanishing, and it had been like 10 years since I had played the game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still not happy that the "Ballad of the Wind Fish" in Majora's Mask doesn't sound anything like the original in this game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

With the Oracle games and the first Four Swords under their belt, Nintendo gave Capcom and Flagship another go at developing a portable Legend of Zelda for the Game Boy Advance. The result, The Minish Cap, is one of the franchise's highlights - a fresh, fun, richly detailed, well-designed (mostly) 2D Zelda that stands up right alongside the best of the whole franchise while managing to feel surprisingly divorced from it. How? See below.

At last! No Ganon! Instead we have Vaati from the Four Swords games. In this origin story of him and the Four Sword itself, we play as Link gunkle, the young grandson of legendary Blacksmith Smith :effort: and best friend of Princess Zelda. On the day of the Picori Festival, the evil sorcerer Vaati turns Zelda to stone, shatters the legendary Picori Blade, and releases monsters across Hyrule. The only way to stop Vaati is to repair the Picori Blade, the only people who can do that are the mysterious Picori themselves, and the only people who can see the Picori are children. Thus, it's up to little gunkle to find them, repair the Picori Blade, make it even more powerful, and save Hyrule and his best friend. Just watch out for talking bird hats...

This is a 100% LP, meaning all Heart Pieces, Kinstone fusions, and yes, those drat figurines. The secret is I'm emulating the game. :v:
I am joined once again by MeccaPrime, who also LP'd this game back in 2011. His LP has pictures! But mine has 60fps.
This LP was made especially for my Patreon patrons and was shown to them in full from September 2018 through November 2018 before being made public.

-------------------------

-------------------------

(By crthemighty)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 10, 2019

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Link's Awakening will always be my favorite portable Zelda, but I have a special place in my heart for this game.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

If you don't like diminish calf in this thread, you can

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Octatonic posted:

If you don't like diminish calf in this thread, you can

I love that custom emote.

Have some others for future use in this very thread!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ohh neat. I started playing Minish Cap and then promptly lost the game while in Blackpool. Sad times.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
So does Breath of the Wild count as a portable Zelda?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nervous posted:

So does Breath of the Wild count as a portable Zelda?

It was actually the first in Thornbrain's portable zelda series.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is a good game but too drat short IMO. Still looking forward to this one.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Go small, then go big.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Breath of the Wild was originally planned to feature small people as well, with Link even shrinking down to interact with them and while they weren't specifically identified as Minish, the video where this is revealed does show footage from The Minish Cap.

Sadly these Minish were cut because there was so many unique characters in the game already that the poor little guys didn't have a place were they could fit.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

So much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ThornBrain posted:

So much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see so much to do so much to see

On the question "What does the other party get out of Kinstone Fusions?" the answer is given by the mayor after fusing with him - they believe it brings good luck. They have no idea about the magic poo poo because they cannot perceive it, but they believe it brings them good fortune. Finding someone who matches you perfectly is kind of like finding a 4-leaf clover to them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I definitely remember running afoul of a glitch pertaining to a sidequest involving a chain of Kinstone fusions in my playthrough of this game. I don't think any are intentionally missable, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's one permanently-missable Kinstone Fusion that locks you out of an upgraded version of an item but you have to get pretty far into the game to miss it. Even so I screwed that up on my first go-around and was pretty sore about it. Other than that I am pro-Kinstone.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, there definitely is one bugged fusion in the European version of the game that if you trigger the fusion screen, cancel it because you don't have the correct stone, and then reload the area, it becomes inaccessible. I think they fixed that in the US version though.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 30, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't want to talk about it too much because spoilers, but suffice to say I'm playing on a USA version, actually as a 3DS Ambassador game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The real question is why Link gunkle can only find the left halves of Kinstones while everyone else has the right halves. And no, they're not just mirrored, they're actually different sets.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

During fusion there's several Ezlos in the background watching the whole thing so I think it's his fault somehow

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Commander Keene posted:

I definitely remember running afoul of a glitch pertaining to a sidequest involving a chain of Kinstone fusions in my playthrough of this game. I don't think any are intentionally missable, though.

There's one which I'm almost certain is intentionally missable (because there's an in-universe reason why), which is a huge pain and a design decision I wasn't happy with. It aggravated me no end that I missed that one on my first file, though in the grand scheme of things I suppose it's actually not a huge deal (the reward for it isn't very useful honestly, and you do lose out on the cosmetic reward for 100%). We already saw the relevant NPC in this episode, actually: His name is Stranger.

This is the first I've heard about the bugged one, though that wouldn't surprise me either.

The most frustrating aspect to me, outside of the missable one, is that it can be hard to track which ones you've done and which you haven't, some fusions are shared among a group of NPCs and it might change which one is available to fuse with (I don't think it's truly random, I think they might just be tied to which fusions you've already done somehow). I always found myself confused when I'd notice a NPC wanted to fuse, didn't have the piece they needed, then came back only to find it was no longer possible to fuse with them (this usually means either you did the equivalent fusion with a different NPC in the pool, or another one that rotated the cycle, I think).

Overall I never minded the Kinstone system, it's just different enough from how Zelda usually does collectibles that it felt somewhat fresh. On top of that, it gave them an excuse to tell you a whole bunch of minor NPCs' names, which I irrationally love for some reason.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Rocks fall, everyone lives

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like that the sound effect for the vines growing is a callback to Super Mario Bros. 1. I also dig every time they use the old Game Boy sound chip for anything!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Speaking of sound callbacks, the rainy area's music is definitely harking back to the ALttP intro. I don't think it's quite identical, but the same melody is definitely there.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I like it, and that's what's important. I don't like the game audio clipping itself, apologies for that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

doip

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

e: Crap, didn't refresh the page before posting. Beaten.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

At least it’s more useful than the Control Rod from Twilight Princess.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think that the Gust Jar can also put out fires, although I'm not 100% certain.

I'm kind of in agreement with Mecca on the Cane of Pacci. It's a neat item that gets used fairly creatively, but it mostly exists to solve puzzles and its few utility uses seem somewhat contrived. It is pretty useful against the rock/bush bug things, though.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Ezlo posted:

Hey! Did you know that falling in lava hurts??

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd consider it more useful than the cane of somaria from oracle of ages, which purely did just exist for relatively boring puzzles and didn't have anything interesting going for it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He's talking to a kid who had a problem with the concept of, "I don't have any legs, can you walk a bit slower?" Maybe he thinks dumbing things down a bit is justified.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd consider it more useful than the cane of somaria from oracle of ages, which purely did just exist for relatively boring puzzles and didn't have anything interesting going for it
There are definitely worse offenders (*cough*Spinner*cough*), but the Cane of Pacci is definitely an item designed for puzzles first and utility second.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

after playing BotW through only once I feel this way about like 75% of Zelda-series items. Doesn't really bother me much, though