Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Ages switches it up every now and then.

E: Don't think I've had an LP before where the discussion completely filled a whole page of the thread between updates.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

loving color puzzles. I got stuck on these so much.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The good thing about the Skull Dungeon is that it's pretty linear. You first follow one path till you can't progress anymore, then you go the other path till you hit another roadbloack and have to explore the branching paths to get the Switch Hook/Keys to progress through the main path and so on.

The next dungeon on the other hand is a bunch of paths and stairs that loop around each other, progressing on one path till you can't progress anymore, then backtracking all the way to the beginning of the dungeon and taking another set of stairs till you can't progress anymore and have to backtrack to the first set of stairs, over and over till you arrive at the boss room and find out you missed 1 small key somewhere, so you back track to the lone treasure chest that remains unopened only to find out it's the Treasure Map you never picked up and the small key you are missing is one of those "falls from the sky reward" that don't show up on the map so you have to backtrack through all the rooms till you find it. At least the boss is fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I really like how this dungeon wraps back on itself; it's still linear with some offshoots, but you keep going back to previous rooms a ledge higher, but you can't fall down and screw yourself.

It's also a huge step up in difficulty not necessarily from puzzles, but just from enemies wearing you down. A huge sticking point is the room with the traps where you have to push the cube; screw the boss (though it's a total rear end in a top hat as well), doing that no-hit is close to impossible. And then you have to deal with the hit detection on the moving platforms...

I also don't think the miniboss is quite as easy as you make it out to be; the sword does a lot of damage iirc, and if you're still low from all the nonsense before...also, it took me a WHILE to figure it out as a kid, first trying with the sword, then with bombs, then all the seed types...and each attempt would usually cost me a death. So I had to rerun the entiiiiire gauntlet. Got me finally good at the game, but it is rather grating.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I always loved how much Symmetry City changes when you go back to the present. It really made you feel like you have a positive impact on the world, and I always appreciate when games do that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Elder's Cave-in is now ready to roll

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

So, 2 questions

1. How is Maple time travelling?

2. If we are using Back to the future rules, why did Symmetry City need to be fixed when bombing level 2 is why it collapsed in the future?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Silegna posted:

So, 2 questions

2. If we are using Back to the future rules, why did Symmetry City need to be fixed when bombing level 2 is why it collapsed in the future?

1. first time you encounter in the past she says she got sucked into a weird portal.

2. We're not using BttF rules, we're using Oracle of Ages rules: time does whatever the gently caress it needs to.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Bruceski posted:

1. first time you encounter in the past she says she got sucked into a weird portal.

2. We're not using BttF rules, we're using Oracle of Ages rules: time does whatever the gently caress it needs to.

And in Rolling Ridge, we immediately go back to " link already did something in the past that fixes things". Consistency.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Don't

Think

About

Time

Travel

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is Zelda so I just assumed it was a witch in the past and her identical, identically named descendant because that's how this series seems to work.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Silegna posted:

So, 2 questions

https://youtu.be/x8w95xIdH4o?t=40

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I think all the Time Travel things could be separated into two groups: those caused by that bodysnatcher and those that didn't
Induced time loops are fluid.
Non-induced, like Elder, are always the same.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
At least this time wasn't really a paradox, in that we can assume they merely got seeds to grow from the bomb flower, a descendant of which eventually became the bomb flower we receive.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kerning Chameleon posted:

At least this time wasn't really a paradox, in that we can assume they merely got seeds to grow from the bomb flower, a descendant of which eventually became the bomb flower we receive.
Maybe they didn't need to "get seeds to grow" at all; perhaps the fact that Bomb Flowers explode is a way for the plant to disperse its seeds...

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
"Bomb Flower" is a misnomer, as they are actually fungi. The explosion spreads the spores.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Vonnie posted:

"Bomb Flower" is a misnomer, as they are actually fungi. The explosion spreads the spores.

Fungi grow on dead bodies (of Goron).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I really hate that mountain because you can get so lost in those caves. Just wander through them over and over and over again trying to find out what the critical path is. Get early to the Great Moblin's place? Fall down, have to climb out. Run out of bombs, have to farm them. The worst. Nothing to show for it. Get to the door? Whoops, have to get the key first! Better jump down and do the cave again.

And the absolute worst part of it all? That small gap in the ledge in the present mountaintop. If you decide to jump down there, you land at the very bottom of the mountain and have to do all that poo poo again. I get why they have a shortcut, but...argh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Any time you see people in the future talking about some kid doing stuff before Link's done it, just assume it was Ralph originally.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Any time you see people in the future talking about some kid doing stuff before Link's done it, just assume it was Ralph originally.

A fair assumption.. I'd buy it!

but boy did that guy sure love shouting nayru a lot...

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Bruceski posted:

It think it is a bit of a stretch, the Gorgon history mentions Link by name; if it was Ralph, it would have been NARYU! instead.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ages was one of my fav games, but I played linked seasons later (like you are planning) and I honestly think ages should be 2nd.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zedd posted:

Ages was one of my fav games, but I played linked seasons later (like you are planning) and I honestly think ages should be 2nd.

No matter where you put Ages in your playthrough, it will always feel more adecquately placed than Seasons just because the game feels a lot more complete.

Play Ages first? Season has you following the conclusion of Queen Ambi's plot, while the Flame of Destruction get's lit halfway through the game and Zelda kidnapped right before the final dungeon

Play Ages second? The villain feels a lot more involved, which completely fits seeing as how they are closer to completing their plans, going as far as sending Vire to attempt to kidnap Zelda earlier

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Alternate dungeon-by-dungeon?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Both at the same time, then criss-cross.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Problem with alternating is you won't get to enter the clear code from one of them to get the true ending in the other.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This one's rough.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Thorn, I think you were sort of sequence-breaking here, the room with invisible floors is meant to be navigated after you have the Cane of Somaria. You can use the block the same way you were using the seeds, and/or push it along the platform, to identify where the floor is. The game probably intends you to get one of the other keys first, though off the top of my head I don't remember which one. I seem to remember this gimmick showing up again later in the game, also?

I liked your solution to the Boss Key puzzle, I don't think I've ever done it that way and aligning the colours is cute.

Don't think I ever knew you could delay the boss clouds with the sword, either, though it doesn't seem like that strategy actually helped you very much... still, it's neat.

Other than that, I don't think there's a whole lot to be said about this dungeon. It's not bad, exactly, but it can be confusing and is one of the less interesting ones really. I like the next ones a lot though (yes, even the one everyone complains about). I'm less fond of the "suddenly, minigames!" thing as pacing, but it's not the worst thing either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And as a further mark against the Cane, anytime you think you see a clever use for it in the future to make your life easier, it simply won't work. It's there for specific puzzles that call for it, nothing more.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It can't even blow up into fireballs what's the point.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Oh joy. We're going into my favorite part of the game.. I hate rolling ridge. So much. I stalled out on this next area so badly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm remembering that i enjoyed seasons's item list more and the cane being so incredibly specific in its use being part of why the toolbox in ages didn't wow me. not that both games don't have a couple questionably useful upgrades, but the ones in seasons tended to feel more multi-purpose and not solely 'weirdly utilized key to solving this specific brand of puzzle'

also the crown dungeon really sucked

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Explopyro posted:

Thorn, I think you were sort of sequence-breaking here, the room with invisible floors is meant to be navigated after you have the Cane of Somaria. You can use the block the same way you were using the seeds, and/or push it along the platform, to identify where the floor is. The game probably intends you to get one of the other keys first, though off the top of my head I don't remember which one. I seem to remember this gimmick showing up again later in the game, also?

I mean they probably did, but I've always solved that puzzle by dropping seeds too.

Silegna posted:

Oh joy. We're going into my favorite part of the game.. I hate rolling ridge. So much. I stalled out on this next area so badly.

I've replayed both games recently and I think I know the part you hate the most, but it was not as bad as I remembered. That being said, the Platinum and Gold challenges are REALLY bullshit. Fortunately the rewards are really worth it

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm remembering that i enjoyed seasons's item list more and the cane being so incredibly specific in its use being part of why the toolbox in ages didn't wow me. not that both games don't have a couple questionably useful upgrades, but the ones in seasons tended to feel more multi-purpose and not solely 'weirdly utilized key to solving this specific brand of puzzle'

also the crown dungeon really sucked

I think the problem is that Ages gets 2 puzzle specific items: the Cane of Somaria and the Switch Hook 3 if you count the upgrade to the Switch Hook, and 4 if you count the Power Gauntlet which is only mildly used in the same dungeon you acquired and never again after it

Seasons I feel doesn't get as many items as Ages does since the 1st dungeon item's spot is taken over by the Seed Satchel that you get for free in Ages but at least the item upgrades you get are REALLY good, whereas Ages upgrades are REALLY terrible.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

My biggest problem with this dungeon is that it is very, very nonlinear but still requires you to follow a very specific order of events. You need to get the Cane first, then four keys, then open four key doors to get the boss key, and you can reach the boss door from the start. If you deviate from this, you'll run into a dead end, but those dead ends can take quite a while to appear. Even in the video you took like three different paths, glimpsing into rooms, realizing they're the wrong ones and going back until finding the one you knew was correct. If you don't know that...have fun stumbling into dead end pathways for a while until you happen to find the correct one!

Even if you do get the cane first and, like, two keys, you can then still deviate from the rigid structure, open the first key door, open the second key door, go quite a ways in and...hit the brick wall of the third key door. Then you grumble, go back to the start, get a third key, open that door, surprise! You need another key! There is no way to tell that this is going to be the case, and it makes exploring this dungeon super loving annoying. I don't think I even realized that this is the one-and-only true way to go through it, I just always stumbled around forever until I happened to have enough keys for the critical path.

The second phase of the boss also sucks fat balls.

At least in German, it's called Kronenkaverne which rolls off the tongue quite nicely! Used often in complaining about it.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Silegna posted:

Ugh, same with me. I had a bitch of a time with one minigame in particular.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
The only thing I'd add is that this boss is much easier when you realize you can push some of the blocks he spawns.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The next dungeon is probably my favorite in the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lezard_valeth posted:

Seasons I feel doesn't get as many items as Ages does since the 1st dungeon item's spot is taken over by the Seed Satchel that you get for free in Ages but at least the item upgrades you get are REALLY good, whereas Ages upgrades are REALLY terrible.

that last bit is a big part of why the seasons catalog of items wins out for me, i think

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Zedd posted:

The next dungeon is probably my favorite in the game.

It's seems everyone hates "that minigame" and likes the next dungeon, but I really don't mind the minigame at all and absolutely despise the next dungeon, especially its key item.

I don't really mind Crownland either, it's a bit linear, but the boss is a pretty fun puzzle boss if you push the blocks like intended. I'll admit, they don't really indicate you can push some of the blocks and that is a bit mean but it's a 2D Zelda, you mash your face against every block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It's really weird, I know all about dat minigame but I remember nothing at all of the next dungeon. Well, maybe the overall gimmick? Probably because it is actually good and you tend to remember the tedious annoying poo poo more than the stuff you breezed through.

I do remember the next dungeon quite clearly, ha.