Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I like the next dungeon a lot,

I mean it just makes sense to have you traveling between a past and present version of the dungeon in the time travelling game, but I think it would have worked a lot better as the final dungeon's gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We need to play more games in our game. Too many more.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aren't you able to complete the trading quest at this point? Or is there a step that I missed?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Those assholes who charge you for burning down their doors are in Zelda 1, too. :argh:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

C-Euro posted:

Aren't you able to complete the trading quest at this point? Or is there a step that I missed?

We're around that point. I'll be doing it within the next couple parts.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Goron dancing sucks and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

CPColin posted:

Those assholes who charge you for burning down their doors are in Zelda 1, too. :argh:

Usually they're placed in the mountains, though, where players are unlikely to find them before rupees become almost useless.

I really dislike it either way, though, Zelda typically rewards exploration, not punish!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Goron dancing sucks and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise

Agreed, I got stuck on that dumb minigame for weeks when I first played OoA

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SgtSteel91 posted:

Agreed, I got stuck on that dumb minigame for weeks when I first played OoA
Thirded, I didn't get at all that the rhythm had to be that exact and just go frustrated over and over again.

Now let me tell you about how I still haven't beaten Spirit Tracks because of that dumbshit fluting...

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

it's me

i'm the weirdo who likes the goron minigames

i think it's mostly because i really like gorons

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don’t mind the others. I just hate Goron dancing because I’m the only gay man in the world with no rhythm

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

At least Goron Dancing is easier than that horrid rhyhtm game in Breath of Fire 2.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Am...

Am I the only one that liked the minigames?

MeccaPrime posted:

it's me

i'm the weirdo who likes the goron minigames

i think it's mostly because i really like gorons

Yay! A fellow lover of minigame-

Oh. You like the gorons.

well they're fine too I guess.

The only one I'll give you is the pitching game because gently caress that for not making any sense. Everything else was so fun when you learned the patterns and rhythm!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

C-Euro posted:

You can complete the trading quest as soon as dungeon four once you get the Switch Hook.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Simply Simon posted:

Thirded, I didn't get at all that the rhythm had to be that exact and just go frustrated over and over again.

Fourthed. This was all before I got into DDR and rhythm gaming in general.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think the dancing minigames were the only ones I enjoyed in the Oracle games. Maybe I'm forgetting another fun (for me) one?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only minigame I really hated in Ages was the friggin' "baseball" one, because the game took your swing as a loose suggestion as to where to send the ball. I never felt like I had any control at all. gently caress that game.

All the rest were fine, although the Tuni Nut repair minigame was frustrating until I looked up how to do it.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

The only minigame I really hated in Ages was the friggin' "baseball" one, because the game took your swing as a loose suggestion as to where to send the ball.

I liked that one, and got pretty good at it. Once you get a handle on where to stand, you have a surprising amount of control over that ball. Probably the easiest place to grind up that 100th Ring requirement.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Simply Simon posted:

Now let me tell you about how I still haven't beaten Spirit Tracks because of that dumbshit fluting...

Same, that loving flute was the worst thing ever put in a Zelda game.

Yes worse than Fi

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for the one dungeon that takes advantage of the game's central mechanic.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Ralph doesn't need you, he found the dungeon item on his own.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I...you blew through that dungeon so fast. I always end up missing a key there and have yo backtrack....

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
There's a slight mistake in the video: you can use the sword underwater if you set it to A. I'm actually going through Ages on my 3DS right now, just got past this dungeon into the next bit of plot, and beat the boss with the sword.

I also have it always set to A because of Link's Awakening defaulting it there.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The Carpal Tunnel Mermaid Suit is awful and miserable, ruins a cool time-traveling dungeon, and basically makes me never want to play Ages again.

And don't even get me started on the next dungeon. Let's just say the suit gets put to use :barf:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the mermaid suit was always kind of a weird item. on the surface, 'thing that makes you swim different and be able to 'dive'(phase into another layer that functions roughly the same) in specific spots' doesn't sound too exciting

which is because it's not, really. as a dungeon item it kind of sucks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the mermaid suit was always kind of a weird item. on the surface, 'thing that makes you swim different and be able to 'dive'(phase into another layer that functions roughly the same) in specific spots' doesn't sound too exciting

which is because it's not, really. as a dungeon item it kind of sucks.

Better than the cane, imo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the problem here being that they're both in the same game

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think I’m in the minority because I liked the Cane of Somaria’s return. It’s a cool item that was hardly touched in Link to the Past

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I think I’m in the minority because I liked the Cane of Somaria’s return. It’s a cool item that was hardly touched in Link to the Past

It's hardly touched in this game, and I never played Link to the Past. It's another way to hold down a switch, and very rarely a way to create a platform in the side-view sections.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Smoke posted:

There's a slight mistake in the video: you can use the sword underwater if you set it to A. I'm actually going through Ages on my 3DS right now, just got past this dungeon into the next bit of plot, and beat the boss with the sword.

I also have it always set to A because of Link's Awakening defaulting it there.

yeah but playing with the sword on anything but the b slot is absolutely wrong

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Couldn't you detonate the original Somaria blocks, too? I can't imagine that comes back. LttP was willing to have a whole bunch of combat wombattery in its used items.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the original cane let you explode the blocks so it had an actual combat application. the one in ages is just worse and more or less a portable pot to put on buttons.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

somaria just lost a little potency in his old age...

also, the cane discussion gives me a chance to post a webcomic that I like on this very topic (not mine)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

MeccaPrime posted:

somaria just lost a little potency in his old age...

also, the cane discussion gives me a chance to post a webcomic that I like on this very topic (not mine)

I forgot how dumb that Minish Cap cane was what the hell were they thinking

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Out of all the many things wrong with Minish Cap, the cane is among the smaller ones

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

I forgot how dumb that Minish Cap cane was what the hell were they thinking

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And the double bonus joke is that the Cane of Pacci got way more use in Minish cap than the other two canes ever did in their own appearances.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

And the double bonus joke is that the Cane of Pacci got way more use in Minish cap than the other two canes ever did in their own appearances.
For all that Minish Cap was embarrassingly short, it got a lot of mileage out of that weapon. Who knew that you could do so much by channeling the elemental power of Flipping poo poo Upside Down?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

If you want to see how useful the Cane of Somaria is, check out LttP Randomizer. When it's your only weapon you learn to love the Cane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to save Ralph's friend so he'll finally shut up.
We hope.