Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

If you're emulating, you can use this patch to remove a lot of the annoying text boxes: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3597/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

A Links Awakening remake in the vein of altbw would be awesome.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

MeccaPrime posted:

Lol, this idiot is playing Link's Awakening ALL WRONG!!

I know, right? What weirdo starts with the Tail Cave? Everyone knows that's the last dungeon. Is this a romhack?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

First dungeon is a breeze. Even the infamous fucker that is the boss. They're not gonna stay that way. And we don't get to keep the sharkdogball.

Forgot to mention in the OP until now, but updates are Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the final part 13 will go up on Sunday October 21.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't remember the moldorm being this weak. Did they make the boss easier in the color version?

"WIND FISH IN NAME ONLY, FOR IT IS NEITHER" is still one of my favorite little blurbs in the game.

By the way, the moblin boss is much easier if you simply deflect the spears with your shield.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There's a shield in the 2D Zelda games? I only remember a spiny-flipping plank with no other uses.

Another small annoyance when going back to LA after the Oracles (which is how I played them): "solved" rooms keep playing the "you did a thing!" jingle, even when it's just an empty room full of non-respawning enemies you had to kill to open the door. Or when you re-kill stuff. Gets old really fast.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hyrule Warriors has a reference to this game; the third-tier Gauntlet weapon for Link has a Chain Chomp skin. Couple that with the Classic skin for Link, and it looks like he did keep BowWow, after all!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I guess a cello can technically play in that high of a register, but at that point you'd be better off with a violin or viola.

Also I have zero recollection of the Twilight Princess fishing game, but gently caress that OoT one hard.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Question for the thread: did you try and line yourself up with the instruments before picking them up so they don't shift left or right when the cutscene starts?

Or was that just me being a weirdo?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Question for the thread: did you try and line yourself up with the instruments before picking them up so they don't shift left or right when the cutscene starts?

I sure did! Ditto with playing them at their destined location, if Link climbed too high the instruments wouldn't circle around him properly. Can't have that!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Tail Cave is a really good first dungeon. It introduces a concept (thinking in three dimensions and jumping) that is used all through the game without being overly obnoxious. The Roc's Feather is probably the most used item in the entire game, next to the sword. You get hints but that's something that never changes, and you can completely blow through it in 5 minutes if you're replaying.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Thadius posted:

I would just accept a remake with fewer loving explanation boxes.

'Wow, this looks really heavy! Why don't you equip something that lets you move heavy poo poo, dumbass? Or better yet, stop rubbing up against every rock.'
'You found a piece of power! For the tenth time in a row! Time to play the annoying music again!'
'You found a guardian acorn! You won't take damage for the next minute! But your tinnitus will live on forever...'

Or even "Seriously, why do you keep looking at people's dressers? You got some kind of fetish or something, you perv?" and then it never says it again.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I couldn't help but notice you're already avoiding Acorns and Pieces, Thorn. Didn't take long for me either.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I avoided acorns but not pieces of power because smacking monsters all the way across the room is badass.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Unless they don't die in one hit, then it's obnoxious.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Very glad to know I'm not the only one. I did the same for the Essences in the Oracle games, and the Season spirits in the Temple of Seasons.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

McFly can lift.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The Power Bracelet is from Zelda 1 :argh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hi hello it's me, the guy who was stuck on this dungeon for actual years as a child because I didn't know what a Pols Voice was. No I didn't have the manual for whatever reason.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

C-Euro posted:

Hi hello it's me, the guy who was stuck on this dungeon for actual years as a child because I didn't know what a Pols Voice was. No I didn't have the manual for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure the original didn't have the part about the Pols Voice being "imprisoned". I remembered the enemy names from the Zelda 1 manual because I was a huge nerd even as a kid, so :shrug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I knew from Nintendo Power.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm another one who got stuck here. Even with the clue, as a kid I needed a guide to figure out the enemy-order puzzle. See, I'd been spoiled about the genie boss, and I didn't know what a Pols Voice was, so I thought that meant the genie and "imprisoned" referred to the bottle (and I thought it was calling me a Stalfos). It didn't really make sense, but it didn't occur to me at the time that it could've meant anything else, so I felt really stupid when I finally got the guide and found out what I was supposed to do.

There are side-scrolling segments in LoZ1, though there wasn't any platforming in them, they were just single screens where you'd climb ladders and collect items (for instance, in the first dungeon it's how you get the bow).

There was also a Power Bracelet in LoZ1 although it didn't do very much (it let you push specific overworld objects on a handful of screens, IIRC), and it wasn't an item you could set to a button. It used a similar icon to the one you get in this game, so I'm fairly sure it's meant to be the same item. There were also the Power Glove items in ALttP, of course.

Incidentally, I recently found an explanation for the tunic bug I was talking about in an earlier post. Turns out I was wrong and it's not connected to deaths at all. It actually occurs if you kill 90 enemies in the overworld without leaving the map. The tunic you get depends on the memory index of the 90th enemy you kill (0-green, 1-red, 2-blue, 3-"damage sprite", higher indices give stranger glitch behaviour). I guess I must have been grinding rupees or something on the file where it happened.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The genie boss was the hardest boss for kid me for some reason. I could only beat it with a red potion, because I somehow was really bad a dodging fireballs.

You can go back to the woman's house, and she will give you a kiss every time you visit her. Getting kissed completely fills your hearts.

By the way, I think it would be cool if you didn't speak over the instruments playing the Ballad of the Wind Fish, just so that people who haven't played the game can appreciate the music :)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hate Bottle Grotto and I have no idea why because it ticks of NONE of my boxes for a lovely Zelda dungeon.

-Backtracking is minimal and (almost entirely) optional
-You can blow through it on a replay but still have to pay attention
-Boss isn't obnoxious (well, other than his personality) without being something you can zone out while fighting

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

CPColin posted:

The Power Bracelet is from Zelda 1 :argh:

Correct, though that Power Bracelet was for pushing, not lifting.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hey. Just saying, if you steal from the shop you're a scrub. You'll just be spending the rest of the game trying to open treasure chests and putting the rupees back in there cuz your wallet is already maxed, THIEF.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hey. Just saying, if you steal from the shop you're a scrub. You'll just be spending the rest of the game trying to open treasure chests and putting the rupees back in there cuz your wallet is already maxed, THIEF.

Well, it doesn't matter because those rupees would be useless anyway. You're not going back in that shop after stealing, are you? You'll pay the ultimate price of getting a death on your file and ruining the ending, so what can you even spend them on?

Thankfully this game was well before Link came up with the idea of putting rupees back in the chest (in release order anyway, I've no idea what the gently caress the timeline is supposed to be now).

Everyone knows the better way to steal is to save and quit while your rupees are scrolling down. Keep the item and (most of) your money too! And the shopkeep will never know. (Not that it matters really, there's not much use for rupees after you have the bow anyway.)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Explopyro posted:

(Not that it matters really, there's not much use for rupees after you have the bow anyway.)

Normally, you would be correct. Except Link has a 300 Rupee purchase coming up in a few dungeons. And a 100 rupee expedition that should be done at least once, just to get rid of a huge honking group of blocked out map squares.

Jade Rider posted:

I'm pretty sure the original didn't have the part about the Pols Voice being "imprisoned".

Text Dump of the game posted:

First, defeat
the imprisoned
Pols Voice,
Last, Stalfos...
Nah, it did. But I was one of those nerds who also had played the previous three and remembered, too. I do agree though, that clue was just way too vague and counting way too much on repeat players to the series.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Bunderschaft, you are going daft? Better seal off the castle grounds

Credit to Mecca for the title. It's better than whatever I was going to call this part.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's a talking monkey in LttP that opens the door to the first dark world dungeon.

I think you've missed one secret seashell by not going to the seashell shrine and getting one for free while having exactly five seashells.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There sure are a bunch of skeletons in Richard's basement, huh

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
One wonders what the world record for the largest omelette is. *does a quick bit of Googling*

...That would be an omelette approximately 34 feet wide weighing over fourteen thousand pounds. Huh.

Well, I guess we aren't gonna be breaking any records by cooking the Wind Fish's egg. Carry on, gentlemen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got stuck on this castle for a little while too, both for the part where you have to bomb the guys out of the wall and the part where you open the door with a pot. Kind of a cool unique minor setpiece though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (For the Frog the Bell Tolls), the game Richard is from, is kinda interesting.

It is sort of prototype Link's Awakening, but not quite. It reuses the game engine, and the sprite style is similar in places - and has an overworld, dungeons (which are 2D side scrollers very much in the LA style) - but the actual overworld fighting system is this strange automated thing where you have to collect items to be stonger and have more of a chance to survive a fight. And you tranform into a frog, snake or person depending on various circumstances to get around obstacles.

It felt very odd. But, eh.

Totaka also composed the music, so there's some similar pieces.

In a nice recursive reference, the people behind the English romhack used the LA font.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I legitimately have no idea why younger me was stumped on how to get the Slime Key. Like I’d get through the field and be like “OK...now what?”

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't recall it being mentioned, but I believe Richard is the gate for returning Bow-Wow. If you still have Bow-Wow following you when you talk to him, he'll get angry at you for bringing a dog into his house and refuse to talk to you.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That dream hut place is one of the eeriest segments of a video game I've ever played, and very weird in this game for a few reasons.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

That dream hut place is one of the eeriest segments of a video game I've ever played, and very weird in this game for a few reasons.

I'm very much wondering what's up with that - and something about the tone of the music in there reminds me of another game with an eerie dream sequence...

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I just can't see the monkey sprites in this game as anything else than hunched-over men with thin moustaches, fancy hair and red coats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Nidoking posted:

I don't recall it being mentioned, but I believe Richard is the gate for returning Bow-Wow. If you still have Bow-Wow following you when you talk to him, he'll get angry at you for bringing a dog into his house and refuse to talk to you.

And Kiki will fight Bow-Wow also preventing progress.