Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The first time I heard the term "Gatcha" was when Konami decided to not make videogames anymore, so a year ago? It's a great thing to realize now that the seeds are a pun, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Oh my God they're called Gasha seeds because the trees spit out gatcha capsules gently caress

Yeah, I didn't work that out until I saw the word written in this thread either. I didn't learn the term though until after I played the games, so that's why I hadn't made the connection yet.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Bruceski posted:

We didn't call them gacha, is the thing. We called them capsule machines.

Clearly, they should be called Capchu Seeds, then.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

C-Euro posted:

Oh my God they're called Gasha seeds because the trees spit out gatcha capsules gently caress

I have played through both of these games about 4 times and I only realized that was the pun when Thorn actually said the name out loud.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

ThornBrain posted:

DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE

after recording this episode, I blacked out for a couple days and forgot who I was

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MeccaPrime posted:

after recording this episode, I blacked out for a couple days and forgot who I was

I tried to walk to the park and got lost navigating streets. Barely managed to find my way back home. I'm not leaving again until the music stops.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The thing I remember most of playing this game on the GBA was that the fairy trio looked to me like some kinda weirdo potato pixies. I couldn't interpret their sprites (heh) the intended way.

e: well and also a part later in the game but of course that's spoilers

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I tried to walk to the park and got lost navigating streets. Barely managed to find my way back home. I'm not leaving again until the music stops.

"you can't escape us! the music NEVER stops!!"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not entirely sure why exactly but i think i enjoyed the 'gimmick' of seasons more, probably because it looked prettier in terms of how the game was affected by it. the time thing never grabbed me as much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ThornBrain posted:

ages has so much loving dead air time like this compared to seasons and it's infuriating for me to think about

you ain't seen poo poo :kheldragar: (well ok video-you hasn't anyway)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 24, 2018

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

So wait. Level 2 in the present collapsed because you bombed it in the past...but hadn't gone to the past to bomb it, yet it still collapsed.
WHAT IS CONSISTENCY. This is why Time Travel is so hard to write for.

Johnny Joestar posted:

not entirely sure why exactly but i think i enjoyed the 'gimmick' of seasons more, probably because it looked prettier in terms of how the game was affected by it. the time thing never grabbed me as much.
I completely agree. There's points where the gimmicks of Ages just gets infuriating.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I never realized that the exits were fixed, if nonsensical in the fairy confusion. I did figure out eventually (on my like third playthrough...) that you should just cycle up and down, but I didn't get that it would loop at some point...

I got Ages on my 3DS, I'm tempted to play along. Overall I like it more than Seasons because Seasons is a little samey to me, but it's true that Ages has lower downs (and higher ups, imo).

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
What forum is this? This isn't where I wanted to go today! I wanted to check on—

ThornBrain posted:

Oh. That explains everything.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

ages has so much loving dead air time like this compared to seasons and it's infuriating for me to think about

you ain't seen poo poo :kheldragar: (well ok video-you hasn't anyway)

Ages is way more cutscene-/plot-heavy than Seasons, which always seemed a little strange to me considering that they were developed at the same time. You'd think that they would have balanced it out a bit.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Ages is way more cutscene-/plot-heavy than Seasons, which always seemed a little strange to me considering that they were developed at the same time. You'd think that they would have balanced it out a bit.

Marketing pushed Seasons as more action-heavy and Ages as more story-and-puzzle heavy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Seasons does not have that loving island with the tokay, and so is the superior game in my opinion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's funny, neither of the games even have super complex puzzles so ages being intended as the 'puzzle' one was mostly lost on me

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I do like the early parts of Ages, we start getting some cool items soon now that we have the basic lift/bomb out of the way.

I think Seasons is better paced overall, it feels more Link's Awakening-y. I wanted to toss Ages into the sun later on, one dungeon is the worst of all three GB/GBC games and possibly the entire franchise. It's that awful, no hyperbole.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 25, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Puzzles" translated more to "busywork" and "you'd better not hop off that ledge or you'll have to do the whole dungeon alllllll over again."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bruceski posted:

"Puzzles" translated more to "busywork" and "you'd better not hop off that ledge or you'll have to do the whole dungeon alllllll over again."

And for me as a kid, "Jesus Christ I hate these color block pushing puzzles."

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's funny, neither of the games even have super complex puzzles so ages being intended as the 'puzzle' one was mostly lost on me

I said marketing pushed them that way, not that it was actually true.

gently caress Jabu Jabu's Belly though, god drat.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I seem to recall the urban legend being that Seasons was originally a remake of LoZ1, and a lot of that can be seen in the final product, such as the locations of the dungeons on the overworld and the overall plot-light structure. Can't remember what Ages was "supposed" to originally be. I do like Ages more for the characterization, though. In that it has any.

Not sure how useful that Crazy Future "Clock" is going to be for the postman considering it's currently Noon Forever in the past. And now McFly gets to do an entire dungeon with a bag of poo poo in his pack.

EDIT: And no one's going comment on Maple getting so lost she flew through a rift in the space-time continuum?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 25, 2018

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

EDIT: And no one's going comment on Maple getting so lost she flew through a rift in the space-time continuum?

She's a witch. They live a looooooong time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I personally enjoyed Seasons more. Of course I can't really say why because of spoilers, but I remember many more areas and things from there fondly than in Ages. But they're both enjoyable though each has their faults.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Personally I prefered Ages mostly because the villain is more involved in the plot whereas Season's villain only shows up at the beginning and at the end

Things Ages has in favor for it:

- Characters
- Plot, specially because it breaks out of collect 8 macguffins to have you do other plot centric stuff
- The past-present mechanic (I'm always a dork for these cause I like seeing how my actions have consequences on the world)

Things Ages has against it:

- The excessive sidequests inbetween collecting the 8 macguffins
- Too easy making some dungeon bosses forgetable. I only remember like 3 (the 2nd, the 5th and the 8th dungeon) of them and mostly due to their unique gimmicks
- THAT drat dungeon (you know which one I'm talking about)

Things Seasons has going for it:

- Challenging in a fun not hard way
- Locations

Things Seasons has against it:

- Too linear
- Bad villain

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 25, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So you got the clock from a ghost who couldn't pass on to the afterlife until you opened his headstone...then you went back to the past to give the clock to the postman.

Was the ghost you got the clock from the postman? The clock trapped in a time loop?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I seem to recall the urban legend being that Seasons was originally a remake of LoZ1, and a lot of that can be seen in the final product, such as the locations of the dungeons on the overworld and the overall plot-light structure. Can't remember what Ages was "supposed" to originally be. I do like Ages more for the characterization, though. In that it has any.

I seem to recall it being a bit more complicated than that - something like the original plan being for three games, one of which would be a remake of LoZ1, but the password system made it too complicated to implement (with three games, they'd have had to account for 6 distinct orders you could play them in) so they cut it down to two games and distributed what they had of the LoZ1 remake content into the games we actually got. I think there are a few different things, the biggest and most obvious one is obviously the first dungeon of Seasons (its overworld location, the shape of its map, and the boss are all identical to LoZ1) but it didn't stop there.

I don't have a source for this handy, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was something like that anyway.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Alkydere posted:

So you got the clock from a ghost who couldn't pass on to the afterlife until you opened his headstone...then you went back to the past to give the clock to the postman.

Was the ghost you got the clock from the postman? The clock trapped in a time loop?

I've been replaying Ages myself.

This is just the tip of the time paradox iceberg.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
gently caress now I want to play these games again. Aren't they on the 3DS eShop, and if so do they make the password passing between titles easy if you have both downloaded or am I still going to have to write them down?

Explopyro posted:

I seem to recall it being a bit more complicated than that - something like the original plan being for three games, one of which would be a remake of LoZ1, but the password system made it too complicated to implement (with three games, they'd have had to account for 6 distinct orders you could play them in) so they cut it down to two games and distributed what they had of the LoZ1 remake content into the games we actually got. I think there are a few different things, the biggest and most obvious one is obviously the first dungeon of Seasons (its overworld location, the shape of its map, and the boss are all identical to LoZ1) but it didn't stop there.

I don't have a source for this handy, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was something like that anyway.

I was about to point out the first dungeon of Seasons as strong evidence of them remaking LoZ 1 at some point, it's very similar to the first dungeon of LoZ 1 but I won't say how.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

gently caress now I want to play these games again. Aren't they on the 3DS eShop, and if so do they make the password passing between titles easy if you have both downloaded or am I still going to have to write them down?

They are on there, and there's no password simplification.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

They are on there, and there's no password simplification.
At least you're not dealing with the 10-page monster that the first two Golden Sun games required if you wanted to import everything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

At least you're not dealing with the 10-page monster that the first two Golden Sun games required if you wanted to import everything.

yeah, and aside from the 20-digit initial code and 15-digit ring ones, the 3DS easy quick-swap between games meant I could memorize the 5-digit ones long enough to switch over.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's not McFlying yet but it'll do.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
You don't really get to McFly until the next game. At like the end of it.

Also, gently caress Crescent Island. gently caress it and all its inhabitants. They have the worst gimmick ever.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You can actually flip these guys without the shield. The shovel will do the trick.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I really hate this dungeon. It's boring and tedious and if you don't know it by heart, the constant left/right decisions where only one path is correct because it leads to a key you need a while into the other path make for a lot of backtracking if you randomly choose wrong.

Also, when I was a dumb kid playing this, I kept getting stonewalled seemingly every room. Make the block rotate so green is on top when it falls in the hole? Impossible, how would you even do this??? (I've gotten better at "3D" thinking...) The miniboss? Kept kicking my rear end with his jumps and such (I didn't realize that he jumps more often based on his health). The room where you have to push the jug instead of, like, throwing it onto the switch somehow (it keeps breaking)? Completely unfathomable to my brain. Kept dying to the enemies everywhere as well. And then the boss, of course. I think I spent an entire hour trying to beat it at some point, frustrated almost to tears because the red face never came up (I didn't realize that it's not random, and that the bomb in fact has to drop into it while the red face is in front). The method I used was to ride the platforms until above it, then drop a bomb straight down. This works for two hits, and then he changes faces in exactly the correct rhythm to never have the red face in front while a platform is above (+ bomb drop time of course). It's insidious. But I couldn't give up and come back later because it took me so long to get there, as I kept dying to the enemies!

The thing is, even with all those frustrations cleared up, it's still not a good dungeon. The puzzle where you can only move the currently "on" colour is always annoying (and that's why you had to speed it up). Making the coloured squares aling is always a bad time because the hitboxes on them are garbage. Aforementioned backtracking if you chose the wrong path. It's just never fun. The only redeeming feature it has is giving you the Roc feather.

Hell, even getting to the dungeon is fuckoff annoying. I actually don't mind the next part as much as many people do, but I think that's coloured in no small way by my relief of finally, finally being out of the lovely dungeon with the lovely music and the godawful boss.

One small thing: the map is such garbage with a lot of filler rooms because it's in the shape of a wing. They do that with a lot of dungeons in this game and it can be neat if it doesn't make the room-by-room design terrible, sadly here it does.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, about that boss. When it dies it falls down, and if you're below it you can get hurt. Dunno if it can actually kill you though.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, this boss is not fun. I think its official name is "Head Thwomp", or at least that's what the strategy guide called it back in the day (this game was long enough ago that I was still buying those). Regardless, this fight is both annoying and uninteresting, and especially frustrating if you assume the roulette is random rather than stopping on the face the bomb went in on (or the next one that would have shown if it was in transition). Also not great is that you have to fight this thing with a maximum bomb capacity of 10. This is definitely the boss I dislike most in these games.

On the "ranged weapon" talk, yes, I really enjoy how these games handled that also. It's probably one of the reasons I prefer Ages to Seasons though, all things considered. But we'll see that soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

NGDBSS posted:

I just bullied a friend into letting me borrow his GBA. I had a link cable for Pokemon.

As I watch these videos I have a rising fondness for these games. I might have to grab them.