Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh my God they're called Gasha seeds because the trees spit out gatcha capsules gently caress

How did I not know the term "gatcha" when I was a kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

ages has so much loving dead air time like this compared to seasons and it's infuriating for me to think about

you ain't seen poo poo :kheldragar: (well ok video-you hasn't anyway)

Ages is way more cutscene-/plot-heavy than Seasons, which always seemed a little strange to me considering that they were developed at the same time. You'd think that they would have balanced it out a bit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
gently caress now I want to play these games again. Aren't they on the 3DS eShop, and if so do they make the password passing between titles easy if you have both downloaded or am I still going to have to write them down?

Explopyro posted:

I seem to recall it being a bit more complicated than that - something like the original plan being for three games, one of which would be a remake of LoZ1, but the password system made it too complicated to implement (with three games, they'd have had to account for 6 distinct orders you could play them in) so they cut it down to two games and distributed what they had of the LoZ1 remake content into the games we actually got. I think there are a few different things, the biggest and most obvious one is obviously the first dungeon of Seasons (its overworld location, the shape of its map, and the boss are all identical to LoZ1) but it didn't stop there.

I don't have a source for this handy, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was something like that anyway.

I was about to point out the first dungeon of Seasons as strong evidence of them remaking LoZ 1 at some point, it's very similar to the first dungeon of LoZ 1 but I won't say how.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Explopyro posted:

Oh god. For the longest time child-me literally just kept replaying Link's Awakening from the beginning to that point, because I had no idea what to do but still liked playing the game. That "puzzle" forced me to buy a guide for that game.

:same: Except I didn't buy a guide and sat there unable to progress for what felt like years. I have no idea how I eventually figured that puzzle out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Aren't you able to complete the trading quest at this point? Or is there a step that I missed?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The palace music is one of my favorite tracks across both of these games.

Also how could I have forgotten that the Noble Sword breaks pots in this game? So so convenient.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The best water dungeon in Zelda history is Snowpeak Manor and that's obviously a looser definition of "water" than a lot of people will go with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Cross-game transfer is such a neat technology that's still such a rarity. Especially now that you've got console saves, there's just so much potential. But I guess actually or potentially limiting your audience in that way is kind of publisher Kryptonite, so all you ever get is a boss that knows you like to play Castlevania.

This kind of reminds me about the Stop-n-Swop stuff that was ultimately removed from Banjo Kazooie. IIRC you were going to get something in one game, then it would store stuff in the N64's RAM while you switched from one cart to the other and unlocked something in the second game. Not sure how far along they got with it other than storing models for the secrets in BK.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't know why, but I really like that big Aquamentus sprite. Also you would have known where to go with the bombs if you looked at your map! :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not only does this game have 4 versions of the map to Ages' 2, it also has Subrosia as an entirely separate (but somewhat smaller) map.

The map is Seasons is also larger than either map in Ages (in terms of # of map squares).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I kind of like the music for this dungeon. Also I'd yell at you to use the Boomerang more and to stop face-tanking while trying to Ember Seed everything but it's a moot point since this is all pre-recorded.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that the rapids area right before the Moblin Keep does change depending on your animal friend. What I can't remember then is at what point you get locked into your animal friend for that playthrough in an un-linked game. It seems like it would be in the swamp where you picked up Dimitri, but at that point you haven't met each animal friend and would run the risk of getting locked into one that you didn't want, which would suck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Minor piece of trivia: if you're playing an un-linked Seasons game, your first sighting of Twinrova (in disguise) is right in front of this dungeon entrance.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Just realized that not only is Ambi running around in a completely different place, she's also running around 400 years in the future (from her perspective). That's gotta be trippy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I do appreciate how massive that Ganon sprite is, even more so than how the same character design looked in LttP. Really makes it feel like you're fighting some incredibly strong evil.

At any rate, good job. I still think Seasons is more fun to play (and much prettier to look at) but I think Seasons -> Ages is the better way to play through them as the story beats from Ages and the linked content go well together IMO.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Link's Awakening is the most under-recognized Zelda game IMO. Please Nintendo give it the A Link Between Worlds treatment TIA

Also apparently a lot of people on the dev team were big into Twin Peaks while working on this game, you'll see why as things progress.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 12, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I guess a cello can technically play in that high of a register, but at that point you'd be better off with a violin or viola.

Also I have zero recollection of the Twilight Princess fishing game, but gently caress that OoT one hard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hi hello it's me, the guy who was stuck on this dungeon for actual years as a child because I didn't know what a Pols Voice was. No I didn't have the manual for whatever reason.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got stuck on this castle for a little while too, both for the part where you have to bomb the guys out of the wall and the part where you open the door with a pot. Kind of a cool unique minor setpiece though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Maybe they just changed it for the 3DS virtual console release, but I'm pretty sure you can go back and swap your tunic at the Color Fairy again if you re-enter the dungeon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Uhhhhhhh that's CLEARLY a picture of Goatette, what are you guys talking about?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If a human has a fursona what does an anthromorphic goat have?

A fleshsona, which if I ever make a video game is definitely going to be the name of an enemy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ThornBrain posted:

I need more stuff. Gimme a way overpowered boomerang. Now caterwaul at me, frog man.

I love the whole Face Shrine area, it's a surprisingly effective reveal given how simple the game is.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love this dungeon, and the bombable wall to get to the miniboss was the other big thing in this game that stumped me for a while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A thought just occurred to me- is this the only Zelda game where the dungeons themselves are locked by keys?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You can definitely play the Ballad of the Wind Fish to the Egg before getting all eight instruments, and it even does the same cutscene that you get when you play it properly, but nothing happens until you do it with all eight.

VVV It does!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 16, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The boxing enemy's wind-up punch will send you all the way back to the dungeon entrance if it connects, so watch out!

Also
https://youtu.be/7rGKXner5Ig

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thank you for playing what is IMO the most under-rated Zelda. Nintendo please give it the ALBW treatment TIA.

I don't know if you spent much time in the library at the start of the game, but if you try to read the secret book early on you'll get a message that the text is too small to decipher. You're only able to read it once you have the Magnifying Glass from the trading sequence, which I think makes this the only Zelda game where the trading sequence is "mandatory" in order to beat the game.

E: Also the end credit music loving rules

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 22, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is a good game but too drat short IMO. Still looking forward to this one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's one permanently-missable Kinstone Fusion that locks you out of an upgraded version of an item but you have to get pretty far into the game to miss it. Even so I screwed that up on my first go-around and was pretty sore about it. Other than that I am pro-Kinstone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It might not be my favorite Zelda dungeon but I've always found the name and atmosphere of the Temple of Droplets to be really evocative in a way that few Zelda dungeons achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I really like the first form of this boss. I'm a big fan of the "rotating orbs that sometimes stop and shoot lasers" boss design.