Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the oracle zelda games don't get talked about much but they really were some incredibly solid entries in the series. i was more of a seasons kid so i don't remember much about ages, so i'm looking forward to both playthroughs to remember most of what i've missed in either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i always kind of enjoyed the weird, abstract essences you get from the dungeons in both games. they were, of course, useless macguffins that did nothing other than be flavored for the game they're in, but i guess in a way the flavor helped give a bit more character to why you're doing what you're doing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the gasha seeds and rings added a neat layer to it all that really hooked me in when i was a kid for some reason, even if a lot of the rings/rewards were goofy and/or highly situational at best. it was fun to hear maple coming and to get ready for another round of frantic item gathering.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not entirely sure why exactly but i think i enjoyed the 'gimmick' of seasons more, probably because it looked prettier in terms of how the game was affected by it. the time thing never grabbed me as much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's funny, neither of the games even have super complex puzzles so ages being intended as the 'puzzle' one was mostly lost on me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will hear nothing negative said about the animal friends in the oracle games

also crescent island sucked

and besides, everyone knows that the best npcs are the subrosians

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i liked dimitri a lot in seasons but part of that was because i liked the sunken city area a lot for some reason

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm remembering that i enjoyed seasons's item list more and the cane being so incredibly specific in its use being part of why the toolbox in ages didn't wow me. not that both games don't have a couple questionably useful upgrades, but the ones in seasons tended to feel more multi-purpose and not solely 'weirdly utilized key to solving this specific brand of puzzle'

also the crown dungeon really sucked

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lezard_valeth posted:

Seasons I feel doesn't get as many items as Ages does since the 1st dungeon item's spot is taken over by the Seed Satchel that you get for free in Ages but at least the item upgrades you get are REALLY good, whereas Ages upgrades are REALLY terrible.

that last bit is a big part of why the seasons catalog of items wins out for me, i think

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the mermaid suit was always kind of a weird item. on the surface, 'thing that makes you swim different and be able to 'dive'(phase into another layer that functions roughly the same) in specific spots' doesn't sound too exciting

which is because it's not, really. as a dungeon item it kind of sucks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the problem here being that they're both in the same game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the original cane let you explode the blocks so it had an actual combat application. the one in ages is just worse and more or less a portable pot to put on buttons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ages leans way harder into previous zelda games than seasons does to a surprising degree

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

from what i remember i don't think seasons even has a 'proper' water dungeon

part of this probably due to the fact that there's no mermaid tail

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when talking about wishing ages had more color i was just thinking 'seasons absolutely has more going on' and then you two went into talking about it anyways. the season gimmick lends itself well to some neat palette shifts, which is part of why a lot of it sticks out to me compared to the areas in ages which i had a hard time remembering until this lp came along. although, i think i've already established that i'm biased towards seasons anyways so that's not surprising.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will admit that part of it is nostalgia making me remember the games well but the two of them if nothing else are fairly solid entries to the series. a bit limited compared to others and it's hard to match up to the 3d entries, really. good distillations of the zelda formula, though, and the linking gimmick was pretty cool if a bit...weird and requiring both games.

now it's time for the best one of the two :twisted:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unfortunately veran and general onox (the seasons antagonist) don't get much characterization mainly because they basically exist to be stand-ins for the normal playthroughs as opposed to the really obvious main villain for a linked game. which i guess is a flaw of the linked game gimmick, that being that ultimately a game that isn't linked isn't really 'complete' exactly and certain aspects might suffer due to it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the season gimmick always interested me because all of the little changes each season brings was like an extra layer to potentially most every screen in the game. ages always felt a bit disjointed because it was mainly just 'this screen except a couple things are shuffled around' while manipulating the seasons felt like putting together a jigsaw puzzle in a certain way. not that it's ever super complicated, but to an extent i prefer that to yet another block pushing puzzle.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gonna be fun to meet the best side race in the next video :whatup:

also i find it funny that the first dungeon in the combat-focused game probably stumped thorn more than most anything in ages, even if it was mostly a technicality

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

🎵diggin' around for ore chunks~ 🎵

🎵diggin' down for more chunks~🎵

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's criminal that the subrosians haven't been used in another game yet

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will fight capcom with my bare fists for the rights to them, and i will win

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the ages time gimmick is a lot more trial-and-error, which tended to annoy me more than anything. with seasons the tells for what might work are typically pretty easy to figure out once you get a sense for it and worst case scenario you take a couple seconds to go to the nearest stump, swing a couple times, and find out that the seasons you have don't let you do what you want to do in that couple of screens yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm being reminded of just how much more visually interesting seasons is compared to ages

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thinking back there was a small, but embarrassing, length of time where for some reason i never figured out that those big blue rolling pillars are things that you're supposed to. you know. push. and then eventually i figured it out somehow, but god that sucked.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's really easy to get locked into using ricky unless you do a decent bit of exploring first

not that it matters all that much, the animal companions are very quickly invalidated by gear barring like maybe one or two places they're made to be absolutely necessary

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's all pre-recorded so we're probably not going to see anything come of talking about it, unfortunately

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't know why but things along the lines of 'find these weird versions of monsters/whatever across the map and destroy/capture/etc. them' always seem to entertain me

also the magnetic gloves are great because they're about as close as the game gets to a 'puzzle item' and are a lot more interesting than the cane of somaria. the gimmick is only used in a few places but they manage to throw in a couple of neat little things to do with it along with giving it some occasional combat usage.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the item upgrades in seasons are also waaaaaaaaaay better which is a way it definitely wins out in

the power glove and long hook in ages are just glorified puzzle solving upgrades. of course, we haven't run into the ones in seasons yet, but they're outright more fun for multiple reasons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a short little area but for some reason it's just really neat

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tarm ruins also does a really good job of quickly highlighting the vibrant color palettes the game has. it's a good as hell little segment that plays to the game's strengths. it probably seems weird to see a bunch of people praise such a tiny little bit of the game but the overall package is very aesthetically pleasing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

somehow i completely forgot the desert segment, but i guess part of that is because it's so short and only a couple of screens with just a single notable 'thing' to do there

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think i missed the boat on link's awakening because for whatever reason it always felt more unfinished than the oracle games did, which is weird because usually i'm pretty fine with a little bit of jank in games

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd consider it more useful than the cane of somaria from oracle of ages, which purely did just exist for relatively boring puzzles and didn't have anything interesting going for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ciaphas posted:

after playing BotW through only once I feel this way about like 75% of Zelda-series items. Doesn't really bother me much, though

i mean yeah, there's that. a lot of items in the games are just given a couple token little interactions beyond the glaringly obvious USE THIS HERE puzzles, so the ones that have a lot of cute little interactions like the cane of pacci are always welcome even if ultimately they're just another fancy key for a fancy lock.