Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Go here for later LPs: Link's Awakening DX, Minish Cap Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks
Earlier portable Zelda LPs: Ocarina of Time 3D, A Link Between Worlds, Tri Force Heroes

Nintendo and Capcom try out Pokemon's duo-game strategy with the Legend of Zelda: Oracle series for the GameBoy Color: two games with 80% of the content unless you play both. Does it work out? Well...
The games are alright on their own. If you were a fan of Link's Awakening, it's largely the same with some creative gameplay quirks and twists. Ages also focuses more on puzzles and its story, while Seasons is a straightforward action game built around a remake/remix of the original NES Zelda.
However there's nothing that the format brings to the table that couldn't have been in one single great game. The games, already limited by being on the GBC, can be thin and don't particularly invite multiple playthroughs if you're not already a fan of the 2D Zeldas. Seeing as I wasn't until the DS came around, we're in for something alright.

Regardless of which game you're playing, your little hero is warped by the Triforce to a distant land to save it from mounting evil: Ages drops you in Labrynna, where you must save the titular Oracle of Ages, Nayru, from the body-snatching sorceress Veran. Seasons tosses you into Holodrum, where the Oracle of Seasons, Din, is captured by the nearly-nonexistent General Onox. Completing either game gives you a code to link the next game, which will continue the story and reveal who's really behind Veran and Onox's rise to power. You won't be surprised.

This is a standard, non-completionist run of both games. I do get every heart piece, but not every ring, and I don't go back and get the linked game secrets. However, to at least make this somewhat unique, this LP is slightly narrative in that it follows the exploits of McFly through Oracle of Ages, then continues into Seasons with a linked game. As such you'll have to wait until Ages is finished before I do Seasons.
Joining me is old LPing hero meccaprime, who also tackled these games many years back and was for some reason happy to hop out of LP retirement to talk about them again. If you wished I did more with the linked games and secrets, check out his LP - he did much more with them there.
These LPs were made especially for my Patreon patrons and were shown to them in full from February 2018 through June 2018 before being made public.
And apologies for any audio crackling. I played these emulated; the game music did not appreciate that.

-------------------------

By meccaprime

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Nothing like having your first dungeon in a graveyard.

(Updating early due to a CPU failure, and I'm hoping but uncertain if everything will be fixed on Sunday.)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE DEEDLEEDEEDEE BEEPBADEEDEE

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's not McFlying yet but it'll do.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Judging by the thread, some awfulness needs no introduction.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sing me a song, you're the rabbit killer

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's awfully warm for this time of year.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

lezard_valeth posted:

By the way Thornbrain, do you plan on doing the Hero's Cave ?

Not in Ages, but I will in Seasons.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Ages switches it up every now and then.

E: Don't think I've had an LP before where the discussion completely filled a whole page of the thread between updates.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 10, 2018

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Elder's Cave-in is now ready to roll

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This one's rough.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We need to play more games in our game. Too many more.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

C-Euro posted:

Aren't you able to complete the trading quest at this point? Or is there a step that I missed?

We're around that point. I'll be doing it within the next couple parts.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for the one dungeon that takes advantage of the game's central mechanic.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to save Ralph's friend so he'll finally shut up.
We hope.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Explopyro posted:

Unrelated to this - Thorn, you've said you're going to be doing a linked game for Seasons, haven't you? The way you were talking about it in this episode it sounded like you might not be, or maybe that you weren't going to do a lot of the extras?

I could have still been deciding at the time. Seasons will be linked directly from Ages, but that's it. You need to link both to get most of the secrets, as all you really get from the first linked game is the passwords for those secrets (minus the continued story), and I don't like either game enough to play through them a second time.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Keep the seawaters clean. Use Great Fairy chlorine.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jabu's grown some distinct digestive geometry since Ocarina of Time.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Today's dungeon music is the sound of dragging yourself up a road blackout drunk.

Next Wednesday is the last part of Ages, and then Seasons will begin next Sunday.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I do so enjoy turtlemothspider soup at the top of the world.

Seasons begins on Sunday!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

McFly thought he was free. And then the Triforce spat him out into another far-off land. It's time for the linked version of Oracle of Seasons!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
In retrospect, Vasu having snakes should have been one of the more obvious secrets.

First dungeon is a breeze, except... speaking of "obvious"...

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We get this game's gimmick item, and it's much more dynamic than Ages'.

Also Link's Awakening DX has started for my patrons, and I recorded that without the sprite filter. I see what people mean about it making the game look weird now.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I feel badass just reading the dungeon name.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The linked game's story starts to properly rear its head.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jump up, jump around

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Let it drown

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I'm not a fan of this chicken.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Not quite as metal as Snake's Remains.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bellmaker posted:

That California joke didn't age well :supaburn:

Any joke about us being on fire is evergreen.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We all need a maze in our lives.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I'm learning as I record more portable Zeldas for later LPs: the portable games make the boomerang way cooler than the 3D games.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Dead men wakawakawaka no tales.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Perhaps it only became a crypt because the dragon kept eating everyone.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Short detour to the linked game's Hero Cave for some brainteasers and body bruises.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The penultimate part of the LP takes us through the final dungeon. One of the more bland-sounding names, but it's more accurately a Fire And Ice Dungeon.

Sunday will be the final part of the LP and the thread!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The thread concludes with three whole boss fights that were a pain in the rear end due to their weaknesses not at all being taught to me. But yeah, no surprise who the final boss is.

Thank you all for watching and getting pissed off at me missing all of the obvious. (Yes I know now that I don't need to replay the entire games to get the secrets, but the point of the thread was just McFly's little story, and that's complete.) Get ready for even more of that on Tuesday when Link's Awakening DX starts going public and McFly crashes onto another strange distant land.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Are you continuing on this thread or are you gonna make a new one? It might be cool if you just made this like a mobile Zelda mega thread. Oracles, Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, Four Swords, etc.

I thought about it a bit, and seeing as we're continuing the McFly story, I will indeed continue this thread into Link's Awakening DX. Part 1 is up on YouTube now, but I'm going to need a bit to get the OP ready and also update the thread's overall OP.
Don't know about including the later portable games here, but since I am also doing those, I'll consider it when they come around. The DS Zeldas will get their own thread though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The fourth Zelda game brings the series to the Game Boy, and the later DX re-release then brings it to the Game Boy Color. The game structurally picks up from where A Link to the Past left off and transfers it to a portable system impressively well. It's a relatively sprawling world with creative and sometimes self-referential ideas peppered throughout. It's also Nintendo's first foray into the alternate universe/dream world sequel that they would return to for Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass. It's a fan and childhood favorite for many.
However the game has aged poorly in places, often the strangest ones (wait 'til you hear what the compass can do!), and it can be a hassle getting from place-to-place thanks to limited travel options. But stick with it and you might find a surprisingly deep entry in the franchise that didn't need to be so.

While most players are/were Link, returning from A Link to the Past, we are McFly, fresh from his adventures in Labrynna and Holodrum. Setting sail back to Hyrule, he imbibes a little too heavily on the grog and sails right into a storm. His ship obliterated, he washes up on the mysterious and eerily familiar island of Koholint, where the effects of the grog just won't seem to wear off. It's up to this sad DRUNK to make his way through the island, discover its secrets, and maybe find a way home.

This will be an essentially-100% run. I.E.: I will be getting all of the major collectibles including Heart Pieces and upgrades, but due to Secret Seashells disappearing once you've collected their reward, I won't be collecting all 26 of them. I will most likely come across where you would normally find the rest, though. I will also only be using one of the two tunics you can get from the secret dungeon, due to the second one being locked out once you've made your choice. Either way, I'm still counting this as completionist since you're not actually missing anything.
I am joined once again by MeccaPrime, who for once did not already LP this game. Rather, he played a spectacularly batshit, improvised glitch run of the original. It's one of my favorite LPs.
This LP was made especially for my Patreon patrons and was shown to them in full from July 2018 through August 2018 before being made public.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

First dungeon is a breeze. Even the infamous fucker that is the boss. They're not gonna stay that way. And we don't get to keep the sharkdogball.

Forgot to mention in the OP until now, but updates are Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the final part 13 will go up on Sunday October 21.