Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

In Link's Awakening I got stuck in the 2nd dungeon I think? In the room where you have to kill the enemies in a specific order, but the hint you get calls them by their name ("kill the imprisoned pols voice first, last stalfos") which an 8-10 years old has no way of knowing since who reads the instruction booklets at that age. I eventually figured it out by order of elimination following the imprisoned part of the clue.

In the German translation (at least for the DX version), the hint was straight-up changed to "the imprisoned rabbit first, the skeleton warrior last". It still took me a while to figure out what it referred to, but I felt pretty smart when I did :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Out of all the many things wrong with Minish Cap, the cane is among the smaller ones

The best wrong thing about Minish Cap is that in the official Zelda timeline it happens before Ocarina of Time, but explicitly after the construction of the Temple of Time to seal away the Sacred Realm.

In other words, it's official canon that during the events of Minish Cap the Temple of Time, complete with Master Sword, is just standing around somewhere off-screen.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Looking at the still image, those horns on the inflated Dodongo sprite seem pretty off-model.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Now that we've met Zelda, it's worth mentioning that the Zelda timeline (the first version of which was published a decade after the Oracle games) retconned these games into being a direct sequel to A Link to the Past, with the same Link and Zelda. In fact, the castle with the Triforce in the intro cutscenes is (retroactively) supposed to be Hyrule Castle from ALttP. If we want to make sense of that, we'll probably have to assume that Rosa isn't the only person with memory problems.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Serifina posted:

Huh. Given how it runs I would have thought it was the same Link/Zelda. Unless they're just immortal, ageless beings, I guess!

Well Ganon is pretty much exactly that :v: While Link and Zelda reincarnate constantly, the entire three-branch timeline has only one instance of Ganon actually reincarnating; all his other appearances are just the Ocarina of Time Ganon getting resurrected and/or unsealed over and over again. Just imagine how over this bullshit he must be by the time of the original LoZ.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Huh, looks like Nintendo has modified the timeline again so that Link's Awakening is now set between A Link to the Past and the Oracle games. Presumably our current Link is now officially a fresh one.
Also they just put Breath of the Wild at the end of all three timeline branches. If we assume that future Zelda games will be set post-BotW, that probably means they realized what a bad idea the whole timeline was in the first place.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The A Link to the Past randomizer has a retro mode that makes small keys work in any dungeon. You can even buy them.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to include the Magical Key from the penultimate dungeon of the original Zelda, which just gave you infinite keys.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 16, 2018

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You can get over three-space wide gaps with just the feather and the pegasus seeds if you try hard enough, it's a slightly awkward and definitely unintended jump but it's possible. I would guess, however, that the Subrosian doing a firework does not spawn until you beat the 7th dungeon.

Exactly this. When I was playing this game for the first time I absolutely couldn't figure out the Lost Woods puzzle (it seemed to me like switching from winter to autumn couldn't possibly count as 'getting warmer' since I'd have to go through spring and summer to get to autumn, and that would mean getting colder), so I spent a frankly embarrassing amount of time exploring every nook and cranny of the map I could possibly get to without the Magical Boomerang and the Roc's Cape. It's actually not all that hard to clear the three-space gaps with just the feather and seeds, so you can get to the Temple ruins pretty early if you want to.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Question for the thread: did you try and line yourself up with the instruments before picking them up so they don't shift left or right when the cutscene starts?

Or was that just me being a weirdo?

Very glad to know I'm not the only one. I did the same for the Essences in the Oracle games, and the Season spirits in the Temple of Seasons.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I just can't see the monkey sprites in this game as anything else than hunched-over men with thin moustaches, fancy hair and red coats.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
One of the Wikis has a pretty nice map of Minish Cap's entire overworld:

It's really a pretty tiny world, even by portable Zelda standards. Also, as stated before, the official timeline has established it as canon that the Temple of Time with the fully-functional Master Sword inside has to be somewhere in Hyrule during Minish Cap's events. I'll assume Biggoron is sitting on it.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
A remake of Link's Awakening was announced at the Nintendo Direct :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not quite sure what to think of the art style.

It's certainly interesting that they apparently fully intend to stick with the square-tile design of the original game. In fact, it seems like Koholint will look exactly the same, just with HD graphics:

See also this guy's tweet:
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1095822115004207104

I hope they at least change some of the dungeon layouts.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 14, 2019