Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Both games were great, but I liked Ages a bit more. There were more meaningful differences between the ages than the seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, you get the shield in Link's Awakening, and it defaults to B. Then you get the sword and it defaults to A. How are you not using the sword with A? You are both weird, ThornBrain and MeccaPrime, I'm judging you!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^e: Then prepare to die! I've already complained about the next thing you do wrong in this very post! :D

I'm surprised that everybody seems to always pick up the bombs. Throwing them after switches or enemies or far away blocks makes sense, but I usually just set them down next to a wall or block I want to break and wait for them to explode. Both in this and in Mecca's LP, bombs were always thrown, never just set down. Strange!

edit2: Also, gently caress Tokay. Subrosians or bust!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 3, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CPColin posted:

I'm reasonably sure that Link is carrying the bomb as soon as you hit the button in Ages and Seasons. Really messes you up if you go back to Link's Awakening, where Link places the bomb on the ground when you hit the button.

Now that you mention it, I dimly remember being annoyed about that when I played Ages and Seasons. I forgot :(

Can we vote which animal companion path McFly takes, or is this up to ThornBrain?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just had a thought: We're so old :(

Kids growing up with Google probably can't imagine being stuck on a puzzle in games like this.

I remember being unable to progress in Final Fantasy Adventure (Mystic Quest in Europe), because I didn't understand what "follow the 8 by the palm trees" meant. I had to call my cousin a week later to get it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Silegna posted:

Without Time Travel, literally nothing would get done. Also, we know Veran didn't do anything to Symmetry Village, so how the gently caress did it break?

I thought the Tuni Nut broke because Ambi was building the Black Tower? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdY0Fbm7mg&t=1009s

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those electric enemies that split into two when hit. MeccaPrime always says that they're from Ocarina of Time, but they were in Link to the Past already, even if they were airborne and not underwater creatures.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That was some amazing Maple haul!

Anyway, Temple of Seasons coming up! I don't recall, do we meet Best Race when we go there this time?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Imagine ThornBrain looking at the map once he gets the dungeon map. Whoa, that would have been cool.

By the way, your Maple encounters in Seasons are just insane.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 25, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carbon dioxide posted:

He got the Maple ring equipped doesn't he?

He does, but I was referring to the results.

By the way, what happened to your av? :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Silegna posted:

Those trees did not look right in the area with Rosa.

ThornBrain should test if they can speak or spit bombs at you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Subrosian ring - best ring.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nice to see what they've taken from Link's Awakening. The Cucoo there was with you much longer, and a lot easier to use. But you could only use it to fly over holes in the ground, nothing else. If there was anything in the way, you couldn't get over it, unlike Season's Cucoo(s). It was basically a Moosh with unlimited range and no stomping ability.

The date with Marin was more engaging imho. There's a lot of stuff she can interact with, and it's often pretty funny. But the only thing she does is waking up the walrus, and then the date is over.

On one hand, Rosa can be taken on several "dates", and there are a lot of doors to be unlocked by her magic key. On the other hand, she has far less to say, the date is much less interesting.

It's a pretty mixed record, and none of the Oracle games can compete with the pretty amazing story of Link's Awakening.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

All dragons, all the time.

Dragons

Are you sure you wanted to post this here, and not in the Restoration Queen thread?

The Tarm Ruins show that the rod of seasons had a much higher potential for cool gimmicks than the time travel thing in ages. Too bad that they rarely use it this well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm triggered by your nonchalance at having lost your shield. The completionist in me would have gone apeshit long ago.

The magnetic gloves are such a cool item. They get consistent use many times after the dungeon you get them in, unlike the Cane of Somaria.

The upgraded boomerang is great, but there's some visceral satisfaction at killing enemies with just your sword (and shield!).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Explopyro posted:

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure a potion won't save you from it either! That's very unusual for Zelda, and might actually be the first time it's happened (the only other I can think of is getting caught by lava in the digging tunnels of that one Skyward Sword dungeon).

A potion won't save you from death if you return to the shop in Link's Awakening after stealing something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's a pretty bad reward for doing this bullshit, considering that killing the four golden monsters in not really more challenging, just maybe a bit more work in traveling to their locations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Link's Awakening! I have so much to say about it.

It was my first Zelda game, I still remember it very fondly. It taught me that A is for the sword and B for the shield for example. No idea why some barbarians didn't understand the lesson :argh:

This game has such a great music for the limited means to convey it. Sword Search is beautiful, I don't know why you never hear it again after finding the sword. The Ballad of the Wind Fish is pretty cool, especially how it evolves over the game. Southern Face Shrine is so fitting to the situation, etc.

This game does have some flaws. The owl is constantly badgering you, though you can somehow excuse it if you know that it really, REALLY wants you to wake up the Wind Fish, and is just making sure. Displaying a four or five boxes long message every time you discover the compass in dungeons in unforgivable though. Ditto with touching liftable objects while not wearing... SPOILER ITEM (yeah, right! :rolleyes:).

The game's story is certainly a lot deeper than the Oracle game's story. The manga adaption is pretty cool actually, I will talk about it when it comes up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MeccaPrime posted:

Lol, this idiot is playing Link's Awakening ALL WRONG!!

Stop triggering autistic nerds like me :argh:

Joking aside, another thing that's really cool about Link's Awakening is that the first dungeon item is one of the best in the game, and not as boring as a seed satchel for example.

Also, since I played LA first, I was really (negatively) surprised that there's no such item in LttP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't remember the moldorm being this weak. Did they make the boss easier in the color version?

"WIND FISH IN NAME ONLY, FOR IT IS NEITHER" is still one of my favorite little blurbs in the game.

By the way, the moblin boss is much easier if you simply deflect the spears with your shield.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Question for the thread: did you try and line yourself up with the instruments before picking them up so they don't shift left or right when the cutscene starts?

Or was that just me being a weirdo?

I sure did! Ditto with playing them at their destined location, if Link climbed too high the instruments wouldn't circle around him properly. Can't have that!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The genie boss was the hardest boss for kid me for some reason. I could only beat it with a red potion, because I somehow was really bad a dodging fireballs.

You can go back to the woman's house, and she will give you a kiss every time you visit her. Getting kissed completely fills your hearts.

By the way, I think it would be cool if you didn't speak over the instruments playing the Ballad of the Wind Fish, just so that people who haven't played the game can appreciate the music :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's a talking monkey in LttP that opens the door to the first dark world dungeon.

I think you've missed one secret seashell by not going to the seashell shrine and getting one for free while having exactly five seashells.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I get the feeling that the temporary power ups last way longer than in the original Game Boy game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Silegna posted:

In the Japanese version, that "Necklace" is actually her bra. Explains the "L-L-Lucky!" Text.

In the European version as well. Which is why she's half submerged in the water, and only jumps out onto the rock once you've returned her bra.

The next dungeon's gimmick is pretty cool.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The music only gets better from here on. The Southern Face Shrine for example is coming soon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This dungeon's boss is pretty hard, especially if you are a kid, this is your first Zelda game, and you didn't collect 20 seashells yet (and of course had no red tunic in the original game). I've died a lot here.

The mini boss was a pretty cool gimmick, even though it can be aggravating the first time. I never noticed the block indicating the order you fight him, thanks for educating me about that! I wonder if the devs gave him a certain damage resistance when first hit with a sword, except for bombs. It seems as if you have the piece of power active as you fight him. Perhaps the damage threshold was set to a certain amount that you couldn't overcome with a level 2 sword and a piece of power, but they didn't adjust it for you having the red tunic when releasing the Game Boy Color version?

I'm really looking forward to next update. Which could simply be titled "the plot thickens".

By the way, does anybody know why the red potion costs different amount of rupees? I know that the price fluctuated, but kid me never figured out why.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Poor shield, completely undervalued by the player base :(

Southern Face Shrine music is amazing. In the manga, Link has a kind of moral crisis after visiting the shrine and refuses to continue on his quest, because he doesn't want all of the people on Koholint Island to just vanish.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Power bracelet level 2 is the most useless Zelda item. Very uninspired.

I think there was a second exit to the overworld in the Face Shrine, into another part of the raft game? But I'm going purely by memory here, I'm not sure.

I cannot remember getting a red potion in the dungeon, is that new in this version of the game?

Also, the rooster is the best. Your power bracelet works to clear stones/pots AND cross chasms. I basically was always flying when it it's around. And you didn't even show off the boomerang trick with it! :(

The horse heads suck, one of the worst things in the whole game. Stupid busywork. Can anybody confirm that it's pure chance how they land?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I remember at least one dungeon in Seasons being locked by a key, the one where you have to let the water out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Holy poo poo, what? How did I never know this? :stare:

It's been said already, but it really is astounding how much atmosphere and love Nintendo managed to pack into a Game Boy game in 1994, especially one that's a weird mashup with a Mario prototype. I played through both LA and the Oracle games about a billion times as a kid, but after having watched the videos in this LP, it feels like the Oracle games' worlds are way more... I dunno, "gamey", than LA's. Everything in the Oracle worlds might as well stop existing once you do the fetch quest associated with the area. With Koholint, on the other hand, it feels like Nintendo took what little assets they had and used them to enhance the setting, rather than just making a glorified obstacle course to give you something to do between dungeons. Link's Awakening feels like a much more coherent whole as a result.

Spoilers:

Here's a video showing how the song evolves as you get more and more instruments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoLVaoLd56o

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd consider it more useful than the cane of somaria from oracle of ages, which purely did just exist for relatively boring puzzles and didn't have anything interesting going for it

At least the Cane of Somaria in LttP had offensive uses as well, if you were willing to waste your magic for such a comparatively weak item.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have to agree with one thing you guys said, there is so much stuff to explore in the town. It's amazing. I love the little parallel society the city minish erected here. The town has a lot of atmosphere, it really feels alive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
"You get nothing for saving him from possession now" - gets 100 mysterious seashells

Have to agree that the Minish existing to serve humans is strange and off-putting. But I love the amount of work the devs spent on making all those Minish towns and communities. It feels like said Minish towns have more rooms in total than all houses in LttP, Link's Awakening and the Oracle games together. And those rooms are more varied than the houses in said game as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ironically, the ice medallion that freezes all enemies on screen was your best weapon in the Ice Palace. Freeze all killer penguins, crash them with the hammer to refill your magic, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Truthkeeper posted:

drat, Thorn's running out of portable Zeldas fast. He might have to go back to farming games soon at this rate.

He's currently playing a MegaMan clone that's also a roguelike, which is pretty cool. You should check it out.