Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

So wait. Level 2 in the present collapsed because you bombed it in the past...but hadn't gone to the past to bomb it, yet it still collapsed.
WHAT IS CONSISTENCY. This is why Time Travel is so hard to write for.

Johnny Joestar posted:

not entirely sure why exactly but i think i enjoyed the 'gimmick' of seasons more, probably because it looked prettier in terms of how the game was affected by it. the time thing never grabbed me as much.
I completely agree. There's points where the gimmicks of Ages just gets infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

So, in order to get to Patch.

1. Go back in time
2. Go forward in time
3. Change the flow of water in the past go to the future, go back to the past.
4. Climb a dangerous wall with homing rocks.

How do people get things done in Labrynna?!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Cythereal posted:

From what we've seen... they don't.

This place makes Hyrule seem sane and well run.

Without Time Travel, literally nothing would get done. Also, we know Veran didn't do anything to Symmetry Village, so how the gently caress did it break?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

loving color puzzles. I got stuck on these so much.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

So, 2 questions

1. How is Maple time travelling?

2. If we are using Back to the future rules, why did Symmetry City need to be fixed when bombing level 2 is why it collapsed in the future?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Bruceski posted:

1. first time you encounter in the past she says she got sucked into a weird portal.

2. We're not using BttF rules, we're using Oracle of Ages rules: time does whatever the gently caress it needs to.

And in Rolling Ridge, we immediately go back to " link already did something in the past that fixes things". Consistency.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Oh joy. We're going into my favorite part of the game.. I hate rolling ridge. So much. I stalled out on this next area so badly.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

I...you blew through that dungeon so fast. I always end up missing a key there and have yo backtrack....

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Incidentally, I learned as a kid when having a lot of trouble with upgrading the sword, you can't use the cane to just summon a block to hold down the switch. The cane will just fizzle.

So it's not lost at the bottom of the last page:

Why does the Cane even exist.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

ages leans way harder into previous zelda games than seasons does to a surprising degree

Which in itself is surprising, give the Origin of Seasons.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Cythereal posted:

My only real complaints about the Oracle games are pretty standard ones for Zelda: all the female characters are useless and every seemingly original and interesting plot quickly turns back into Ganondorf.
To be fair, theres a reason the Hijacked By Ganon trope exists.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

General Maximus posted:

I'm a bit late now but I had no idea that first gen ring existed. Did either of you ever try playing any of the minigames with that or any of the other sprite swap rings equipped? The dancing especially, since it doesn't require use of items.

You can't interact with NPCs with the sprite changing rings, sadly. (Might be wrong)

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Was looking stuff up, apparently that form of Veran's is a Beetle, not a turtle. All her Metamorphosis' are insects. (Spider for some reason only has 4 legs though).

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

I wish Veran was explained more. Shes very interesting.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

10 hours, 5 minutes. Wanted to catch up with the LP, did this all in one day.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 15, 2018

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

On the rings, they DO Transfer over, but you need to talk to Red Snake in Ages to get the Ring Secret to input in Seasons.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Glazius posted:

Cross-game transfer is such a neat technology that's still such a rarity. Especially now that you've got console saves, there's just so much potential. But I guess actually or potentially limiting your audience in that way is kind of publisher Kryptonite, so all you ever get is a boss that knows you like to play Castlevania.

I was incredibly happy when .Hack implemented a version of this. Felt far more like progression.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Those trees did not look right in the area with Rosa.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Serifina posted:

Doesn't A Link Between Worlds also take place directly following LttP?

According to Hyrule Historia, 200 years between ALTTP and ALBW.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

On the spin attack on hurting Ganon/Onox, if you did the secret to get the Master Sword, it could hurt them normally, fittingly enough.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

They did change some lines in the EShop release. Just some...odd ones, like generic npc lines.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

I couldn't help but notice you're already avoiding Acorns and Pieces, Thorn. Didn't take long for me either.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Nidoking posted:

I don't recall it being mentioned, but I believe Richard is the gate for returning Bow-Wow. If you still have Bow-Wow following you when you talk to him, he'll get angry at you for bringing a dog into his house and refuse to talk to you.

And Kiki will fight Bow-Wow also preventing progress.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

In the Japanese version, that "Necklace" is actually her bra. Explains the "L-L-Lucky!" Text.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Torrannor posted:

In the European version as well. Which is why she's half submerged in the water, and only jumps out onto the rock once you've returned her bra.

The next dungeon's gimmick is pretty cool.

Also why she goes "EEK DON'T LOOK" if you dive underwater in front of her.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

It's the music that really sells it.

South Shrine has the best music.

Especially since its a haunting slowdown of Ballad of the Windfish.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 10, 2018

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Power bracelet level 2 is the most useless Zelda item. Very uninspired.

I think there was a second exit to the overworld in the Face Shrine, into another part of the raft game? But I'm going purely by memory here, I'm not sure.

I cannot remember getting a red potion in the dungeon, is that new in this version of the game?

Also, the rooster is the best. Your power bracelet works to clear stones/pots AND cross chasms. I basically was always flying when it it's around. And you didn't even show off the boomerang trick with it! :(

The horse heads suck, one of the worst things in the whole game. Stupid busywork. Can anybody confirm that it's pure chance how they land?

Yeah, Its sorta like the Golden Gauntlets in OoT. There's very few things that it's useful for, same with the power glove in Ages.

The raft game exit is for a secret seashell, but if you got the sword its only 20 rupees.

As for the horse heads, its not random, its based on the distance they went until they hit wall, at least from my experience.

For the potion, I believe its DX only.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Bruceski posted:

It's a major speedrun thing. Knowing that cuts out having to do most (maybe all, I can't recall what else is skippable) of the trading game.

only up to the bananas is required for trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

pointlessone posted:

At least for PH, there's a patch that adds the controls back onto the controls. https://gbatemp.net/threads/legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-d-pad-patch.375388/

I think there might even be an option to mempatch it in via an action replay. I still don't know why they insisted of forcing touchscreen controls only instead of running it as a hybrid control, it's so much better with standard controls.

When the sensors worked, Skyward Sword was pretty decent. I loved the art style, the temples are great looking with mostly satisfying bosses, and the Bow and Beetle are the perfect items for use with the motion controls. Unfortunately, 90 percent of my experience in the game was fighting with the physical interface and frustrating stamina limitations. When combined with Fi, the vast majority of the overworld being empty and disconnected from each other, more back tracking than a Metroidvania, the repeated fights with the overgrown muppet, it felt like it got rushed out the door so they could release it in for the anniversary instead of letting it brew in production for a while longer. I legitimately think it would have been a much better game had they pushed it's release out to the Wii U without the complete reliance on motion controls.

If I remember right, when Thorn LPd Skyward Sword, his Wiimote kept desyncing and he modified his Wii to make Fi shut up.