Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This was also my first Zelda game and have all the same nostalgic feelings about it. Yo, it was released 25 years ago, how old do you feel knowing that?

I was very confused when I eventually played LttP and had to use B for sword. One neat quirk of the Game Boy Zeldas though is the fact that the shield is an active item rather than just sitting in front of you blocking arrows. And it's the only item that changes Link's appearance when equipped. I like the way it looks slung to the side when not in use more than Link constantly holding it up like some kind of tryhard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I avoided acorns but not pieces of power because smacking monsters all the way across the room is badass.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That dream hut place is one of the eeriest segments of a video game I've ever played, and very weird in this game for a few reasons.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's the music that really sells it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So here's an example of an "it was all a dream" endings that really work. When the dream belongs to a nature spirit and is powerful enough to trap you there for days until you starve to death it holds a little more weight.

It works too because "waking from a dream" and "nightmares" were all established early on as themes, right down to Link being knocked unconscious at the start. (And, er, the title...)

As a kid, I definitely had some misgivings about playing this through to the end. For such a simple game it has a surprising amount of depth to it. The "Nightmares," whatever they are, took over the Wind Fish's dream and wanted to rule it, which is bad sure, but getting rid of them necessitates destroying a whole world. And your guide throughout the game, constantly pushing you to act out the hero's role, as it turns out is only interested in the wellbeing of the godlike entity it's a part of. The owl straight doesn't give a poo poo that the Wind Fish is powerful enough to dream up real-rear end people, as real as Link, that Link ends up being complicit in erasing from existence. By the end you might feel taken for a ride by how the typical "hero stuff" of killing the bad guys and saving their victim actually has a pretty significant side effect.

Good game, good LP.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Why does Malon have a little chime every time you talk to her?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This dungeon's music seems like a really disjointed remix of the normal cave music, it's kinda disorienting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Microcline posted:

Like the Ice Palace in Link to the Past is incredibly memorable but that's because it backs up the theme of a greuling descent into an icy hell by making you fight fast-moving enemies that deal four hearts of damage while dodging projectiles and environmental hazards on slippery ice floors.

Those big penguin dudes were chumps, just cast Bombos.

That said, tbf I do remember exactly which enemies you mean so hm.