Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
I hear Danny????????? Did I break something???

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I hear Yanny/Danny/Laurel/Yowie all at the same time.

I’m also a paranoid schizophrenic so I also hear someone telling me to kill myself. Please don’t think I’m suicidal It’s just a constant loop in my brain.

As an aside I thought the dress was red from a stabbing into the spleen.

And I’m well-medicated and high-functioning. You should hear this poo poo when I go off my meds :downswords: .

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
YAOI

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I hear yaoi

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yanni is Australian for weed

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
But you can't say the letter Y with your throat unless it's something you dirty East Coasters do idk

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
add a poll to this thread

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
cant hear nothing but yanny. but my hearing is insanely bad anyway

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug
My boss played the sound clip on his phone at work today and it sounded like a woman saying "Yanny", but now that I'm at home on my own computer, it sounds like a dude saying "Laurel".

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
All it does is math and make people laugh alot.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

My brain is pretty screwed.

I was once put on a 5150 hold.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
WTF? Is this real? It’s yanny.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

My pill planner is pretty blunt about it

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
I hear laurel clear as loving day in the normal audio and regardless of volume or EQ changes.

I pitch shifted the word in Pro Tools down an octave and suddenly I heard yelly (rhyming with jelly). Gradually shifting the pitch back up, it sounded like yelly until I got to -300 cents, where it immediately became laurel again. Then I started at 0 and moved downward gradually. It still sounded like laurel until I hit -800 cents, it suddenly sounded like yowie.

Sometimes while I'm shifting it around near -1000 cents it sounds like Larry but said with a lisp (Lawie).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

this is stupid.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i year Yanny really clearly in the morning but at night it switches to laurel. It switched so abruptly for me that I thought someone was loving with me. I guess my ears get tired and i can only hear lower frequencies at the end of the day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
after meditating upon the four sacred pillars (chakrams) in proper order and cleansing my mind with 10 minutes of deep aum vocalization

i still can't hear laurel, sorry

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Randarkman posted:

this is stupid.

the experts have spoken

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I heard Yanny the first time and Laurel every other time

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah, there's nothing about it that sounds like laurel. Spooky.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I hate these things. Now at work everyone's going to be crowded around the coffee room arguing about it all day just like that loving dress. I guess I can join in on the chaos to get a couple hours off of work but this one is just so stupid. I bet we're even going to see a spike in babies named yanny/laurel in 9 months because people are that stupid.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Well gently caress me. I used this slider to listen to both and now the original sounds like laurel.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
loving nuke us already

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

It's "Yanny" in a high pitch played at the same time as "Laurel" in a low pitch. Focus on one or the other.

e: then yell at people on the internet over it.

This. Stupid Yanny Laurel.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I can hear both the things and am angry that people say the high pitched one is "yanny" when there's no goddamn N sound in there and the A sound is a dumb kind of A sound, so it sounds more like "yeary", and the Y isn't particularly Y-ish either, so it could be "geary", but it isn't loving yanny.

Big Butt Skinner posted:

I heard yelly (rhyming with jelly). Gradually shifting the pitch back up, it sounded like yelly until I got to -300 cents, where it immediately became laurel again. Then I started at 0 and moved downward gradually. It still sounded like laurel until I hit -800 cents, it suddenly sounded like yowie.

Sometimes while I'm shifting it around near -1000 cents it sounds like Larry but said with a lisp (Lawie).
I'm convinced that nobody would think it said "yanny" if the things asking about it didn't prime them with a "yanny/laurel" dichotomy before they heard it. Not like a chump going "it's laurel you idiots" but because I can hear the supposedly-yanny side of things and it doesn't loving sound like yanny.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

At a low pitch it sounds like "yanny" because the "laurel" part becomes too low to register; when it's pitch shifted upwards instead it sounds more like "laurel" because the lower pitched "laurel" becomes more prominent.

Pawn 17 posted:

It's "Yanny" in a high pitch played at the same time as "Laurel" in a low pitch. Focus on one or the other.

e: then yell at people on the internet over it.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up, mystery solved, it's just two different stupid audio clips played at the same time. I stumbled on a video long ago that did the exact same thing with the words "restore" and "destroy." Really it's a pretty goddamn cheap "illusion," the dress thing was a lot better.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sucrose posted:

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up, mystery solved, it's just two different stupid audio clips played at the same time. I stumbled on a video long ago that did the exact same thing with the words "restore" and "destroy." Really it's a pretty goddamn cheap "illusion," the dress thing was a lot better.

Good luck convincing the people who are on the "it's objectively ____" sides, and if it's anything like the dress argument that's going to be most people.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
seeing some reports the original source is this website ironically meant to teach you how "laurel" is pronounced

I can't hear the yanny in this one but I could barely hear it to begin with so idk
if it's in there it's possible it wasn't added deliberately but was some kind of emergent phenomenon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flambeau posted:

Well gently caress me. I used this slider to listen to both and now the original sounds like laurel.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

Oh poo poo now they've got you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
they got me too. poo poo's weird

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Cubone posted:

seeing some reports the original source is this website ironically meant to teach you how "laurel" is pronounced

I can't hear the yanny in this one but I could barely hear it to begin with so idk
if it's in there it's possible it wasn't added deliberately but was some kind of emergent phenomenon

Is this confirmed to be the same clip? All I hear on this one is the "laurel" part, no "yanny."

Like, it sounds like this could be the source for the "laurel" part but someone overlaid the "yanny" part onto it for the clip that everyone's going nuts about.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 17, 2018

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm hearing yeah-way, which i think is how you pronounce yahweh.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I hear nothing but the whispers of the old embers of a dying galaxy, the radiant song of time diminished, remnants of dying lands turned to ash.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
is this subliminal marketing for a new death grips album???

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Hearing it pitch shifted it's clearly Laurel. Is my brain truly broke in this respect or is it my phone? :iiam:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I think my hearing is too hosed to hear any of the high pitched Yanny. Thanks years of no earplugs at concerts!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have scar tissue on my brain underneath my cracked skull

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

My brain is smooth and pleasant to the touch like my well maintained balls.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I think my hearing is too hosed to hear any of the high pitched Yanny. Thanks years of no earplugs at concerts!

i assumed it was my ears that were broken cuz i couldnt hear laren or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Butt-Whistle
Feb 12, 2004

Mentally Trill

Grevling posted:

My brain is smooth and pleasant to the touch like my well maintained balls.

They don't call me Justin Eucerin BallCream for nothin

• Locked thread