Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Goons, I'll be roughly in the Myrtle Beach SC area in June; what I'd really love to find is some open pine-plantation-looking forest to photo some mushrooms and critters. I have done zero outdoors stuff down there so I don't know where to start scouting a couple good spots, suggestions appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Unless you want to find a bunch of cigarette butts and broken beer bottles, don't go hiking at Myrtle Beach.

Hilton Head Island, Edisto, or even Lake Marion/Marion Forest (around 45 min from the Myrtle Beach coast) are the areas in SC you should probably be scouting for.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 17, 2018

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Shiki Dan posted:

Unless you want to find a bunch of cigarette butts and broken beer bottles, don't go hiking at Myrtle Beach.

Hilton Head Island, Edisto, or even Lake Marion (around 45-1hr from the coast) are the areas in SC you should probably be scouting for.

Oh yeah for sure, Myrtle itself is largely a fuckin dump. I'm hoping to find someplace within about an hour of there in any direction ideally, should have made that more clear.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

the yeti posted:

Oh yeah for sure, Myrtle itself is largely a fuckin dump. I'm hoping to find someplace within about an hour of there in any direction ideally, should have made that more clear.

Might be a bit late to the party, but what I really enjoyed when I lived in Charleston was renting a kayak and paddling around the salt marshes. I'd usually leave from Isle of Palms north of Charleston and paddle around there, but I'm sure there's plenty of places to launch from. Really unique plant and wildlife. If you can get a lift to the islands around that area, it's pretty neat to explore them. Expect heat and bugs tho.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sand gnats suck, they're really awful.

• Locked thread