Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Problem description: (Context: My roommate received her brother's old custom-built PC a while back. The computer itself was built 2013-2014ish, but we don't know specifics. Her brother is not immediately available with the details so we've had to look up for ourselves what it's built out of.) The problem itself: For years now, her computer hard locks under the load produced by most video games she plays (Warframe, Grand Theft Auto V, Overwatch) after anywhere from half an hour to two hours. The screen freezes and the audio loops whatever sound it was last emitting, which usually means emitting a very high pitched or otherwise unpleasant buzzing.

Attempted fixes: We thought it might be the graphics card or drivers, but updating and later reinstalling the drivers did nothing. She bought a new graphics card (upgraded from Nvidia 660 to Nvidia GTX 1060) but that has not solved the problem.

Recent changes: The only recent change is installing a new graphics card, and the hardlocking was happening long before that.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Processor: Intel i5-4670K
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Memory: 8 GB RAM (couldn't find any other info)
Hard Drive(s): 2x Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB HDD
Power Supply: Corsair CX750

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Bread Liar

I have a couple starting points for you:

1. RAM issue? Run memtest and see if there are any issues with the RAM. And/or: if you have 2x4GB making up that 8, run it with each stick alternately and see if that fixes anything. This would be my first angle of attack, especially as you can't find much info on the RAM.

2. Overheating issue? Use a hardware monitor program (CPU-Z for various system elements, GPU-Z for graphics card, etc.) and see if you're getting any crazy high temps.

Could also be a PSU issue - you could check out hardware monitoring programs to make sure voltages/etc. are in line with specs, though the best way to really test this would be to swap in another one.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Have tried memtest twice, it froze both times at different points (the first time when almost done, the second time almost immediately after starting). I'm starting to really suspect overheating, will check the temp when she gets back from work. I'll also check to see if the flash drive that we're booting memtest from might have a problem.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

YellerBill posted:

Have tried memtest twice, it froze both times at different points (the first time when almost done, the second time almost immediately after starting). I'm starting to really suspect overheating, will check the temp when she gets back from work. I'll also check to see if the flash drive that we're booting memtest from might have a problem.

Got a successful memtest (third time's the charm)-- it reported no errors.

Ran some GTA V on her computer since that's one of the most common ways to cause it to freeze quickly, stared at the temperatures on HWmonitor, it stayed well within safe operating temps. It also didn't freeze even after a couple of hours of running the game, which is odd because that's usually long enough to get it to freeze. I guess that leaves us with checking the power supply? How should I go about doing that if I don't have a good one handy to swap in?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

YellerBill posted:

If it's freezing in memtest then that's a sign of potential RAM failure (even if it does pass sometimes).

YellerBill posted:

How should I go about doing that if I don't have a good one handy to swap in?

The simplest thing to do first would be use onboard video temporarily and see if the freezes continue. That will narrow the problem down more. Onboard video will use less power as well and this may point to it being a PSU issue.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Update! We found a copy of the manual for the motherboard so we could look up the error code it was displaying when the computer freezes. It's error code D4: "PCI resource allocation error. Out of Resources." Google tells me that usually happens on launch, and sometimes to people trying to run six video cards at once or whatever. Should we start pulling RAM sticks out to see if that does it?

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at May 28, 2018 around 03:34

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

YellerBill posted:

Update! We found a copy of the manual for the motherboard so we could look up the error code it was displaying when the computer freezes. It's error code D4: "PCI resource allocation error. Out of Resources." Google tells me that usually happens on launch, and sometimes to people trying to run six video cards at once or whatever. Should we start pulling RAM sticks out to see if that does it?

Yea, try each individual stick and see if things get stable or continue freezing.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Zogo posted:

Yea, try each individual stick and see if things get stable or continue freezing.

I don't remember what got me to consider trying the sticks in different slots (along with just testing each stick individually) but having now tried each RAM stick in a different slot (out of the 4 available on the motherboard) we have some... interesting results. When running memtest with both RAM sticks in the first two slots (going off of the order listed in the manual) we got consistent freezes. Got one freeze out of a whole bunch of tests when running one of the sticks, the other was fine, but when we went to try and reproduce that freeze we couldn't. And then when we put both sticks in the last two slots it didn't freeze, and hasn't frozen since?

I'm not sure if we're out of the woods or we're just getting lucky with it not crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You need to leave one stick in and use the computer normally and see if it goes at least two weeks with no freezing.

• Locked thread