Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins a fight
Honorable samurai
Boisterous knight
Goku is not fighting
View Results

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I may not be fighting, but I'd still win the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lol at some katana wielding fool coming up on me and my halberd, a simple win for me and my powerful polearm even if I didn't have my vas ort flam (explosion) precast before the duel.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The fighter with halberd just strikes the samurai from 10 feet away and steps back, avoiding the feeble katana. Rinse and repeat.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

KomodoWagon posted:

You don't know jack loving poo poo about medieval European armor

I nimbly dance around your stout lumbering frame sheathed in what looks like bulging oil drums and with the hilt of my steel i gently knock you ever so slightly off your center of balance. Nearby, dogs perk up and cower in doorways in the time it takes your body to slam into the dirt.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
On the show Knife or Death every single weeb with a katana fails it hard, while the dudes with just like a kitchen cleaver excel

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

The fighter with halberd just strikes the samurai from 10 feet away and steps back, avoiding the feeble katana. Rinse and repeat.

like europeans, and really everyone else throughout all of history, most samurai fought with spears for the same reason you just posted

the question is meaningless because the power of the knight or samurai is their ability to fight collectively. a wall of horses, impervious to arrows, charging at you with lances at the ready is what made the knight a fearsome force. individual martial skill is cool i guess, but not particularly important

but yeah the answer is the knight. probably bigger with better armor and superior pole arms

samurai are still cool too though.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
The samurai would summon his lightning powers a la Raiden from Mortal Kombat and electrocute that knight bitch.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kuato posted:

The samurai would summon his lightning powers a la Raiden from Mortal Kombat and electrocute that knight bitch.

psh, not before the knight prays to the One TRUE God to smite his enemies and the samurai is wracked with crippling sores and depression cuz his first born is dead

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kazak posted:

Plate armor is heavy and slow as hell you could just dance around the knight and tip him over

"look guys this poo poo designed explicitly for people to engage in melee combat in is definitely cumbersome and hard to maneuver in"
-a real dumbo

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Kazak posted:

I nimbly dance around your stout lumbering frame sheathed in what looks like bulging oil drums and with the hilt of my steel i gently knock you ever so slightly off your center of balance. Nearby, dogs perk up and cower in doorways in the time it takes your body to slam into the dirt.

I'm coming for you, bitchass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcKolKQ1F4

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

"Knight" and "samurai" are both terms for social classes whose equipment, training, and tactics changed considerably over the course of 1000 years or so.

Do you think a cowboy could beat up an army guy?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It depends how quickly the knight can unscrew the pommel.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

P-Mack posted:

"Knight" and "samurai" are both terms for social classes whose equipment, training, and tactics changed considerably over the course of 1000 years or so.

Yes. Cowboy is trained on gunslinging. His agility/dexterity stat is stacked, and he’s a better individual combatant.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Good luck son! I seduced your squire last night and while he put your armor on your body this morning (something you can't do by yourself, lmao, nice design) he put Spanish fly in all your big overlapping nooks and crannies. We also came in your dumb armored booties.

Match: samurai

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
The samurai were loving dorks

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I put on my samurai ō-yoroi and kabuto

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Silly knights can't move around.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Silly knights can't move around.

ouch

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Sacked like a BITCH

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Nice larp footage. Just off camera is a team of squires lifting sir Pants-a-lot off the ground and another team of squires lifting his leg a little bit higher

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

P-Mack posted:

what kind of cowboy? American west? Argentinian Gaucho?

what army??? where? Ankara? who has the heavier gun?

learn how to ask a question!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

a hole-y ghost posted:

The knight probably has a horse and can just go and raze the poo poo out of the samurai's village while the samurai is miles behind so the knight imo

Samuraii (latin plural for samuraius) rode horses too and also did horseback archery which could kill the mounted knight easily imo, as the best they've got is a long lance supported by a wheel.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

psh, not before the knight prays to the One TRUE God to smite his enemies and the samurai is wracked with crippling sores and depression cuz his first born is dead

This move is easily countered by Shinto Blast.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What if they didnt have weapons and were just punching, which one is better at punching

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Evil Agita posted:

A samurai or a European knight. If it matters we can say the samurai was traveling with a trading expedition along the silk road and encountered a boisterous Western European knight in the squalid streets of Ankara. Serious replies only and all weapons used must weigh pounds or they are basically worthless and won't help

Well we need to make some assumptions here.

1.) Need to be the same era. Lets pick 1450 or so which is the height of both the Samurai in Japan and the European knight.

2.) The armour of the European knight is far far superior to the samurai of the same era. By 1450 the knight is completely encased in a hardened steel armour from head to toe (cap-a-pie). Its from one of two locations, Germany or Milan. Its very protective. It can, and has, stopped arrows, crossbow bolts and most other weapons of the era. A sword is almost useless against it unless it is used as more or less of a pick to open up those less protected areas that are only protected by mail. The arm pits, inner elbow, neck/throat, groin and the back of the knee and rear end. The samurai of the same era however is wearing armour that is mostly made of either hardened rawhide lacquered with many layers of a sumac based paint that are stitched together to make strips, and those strips stitched together and lacquered again. A samurai of more wealth would use iron plates. Steel in Japanese armour was far from common until into the 19th century. Yes... 19th. The arms of the samurai had little protection except small strips of mail made by wrapping wire around a peg. And it wasn't near as dense or as protective as mail from the European side of the house. His shoulders were covered by small strips of the above materials, and were often forced behind the back once in foot combat to avoid getting in the way. Legs had little protection except for the knee and below and those were made from either strips of iron sewed into a linen liner or via kikko which were little iron hexagon plates making a sort of scale. Haidate (thigh armour) wasn't worn a lot in the field as it was very encumbering and also got in the way of proper leg motion. Oh and lets not mention in this era, the European's armour was worn over an arming doublet and the weight of the armour distributed along the entire body, where Japanese armour was only distributed at the shoulders and on the hips... Armour in both cultures around the 1400's weighed in around the same. Around 40-50 pounds including the helmet or kabuto.

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvA_D4vJAE&t=2s thats me in the dark armour. I placed 3rd overall. I don't have this Gothic set now. I've moved to a kit from the Armour of VonShott from 1500.

3.) Weapons. Uh, the longsword and the katana of the 1400's weighed nearly the same. Around 2.5 lbs. The longsword however had two sharp edges, an acute thrusting point, could be wielded with one, or two hands, had a useful cross guard that offered more protection than the tsuba on most katana of the same era. The steel in Europe for sword making far surpassed that available in japan starting around 700 AD. Which is why they no longer had to fold the steel to remove impurities. Folding steel does NOT make good steel better. It makes bad steel better. Both swords are great for what they are designed to do. But honestly, the longsword is thinner, has two edges and more importantly longer. The longsword can handle more of a beating in combat.

4.) Both the knight and samurai have been in training since children (around 7 or 8 for both cultures). They are the pinnacle of warfare of the era. Both ate better than most people of the same timeframe, both were far better educated, both were far wealthier.

5.) Yes, Europeans had martial arts similar to karate or jujitsu. It was called ringen in germany.

An unarmed fight between the two would be a great thing to watch. Who would win? The better prepared, and better trained fighter.

IF armoured and with swords? The knight would win assuming equal experience and training. Why? Better gear.

In full disclosure I teach HEMA. Both in armour (Harnischfechten) and unarmoured (Blossfechten) and also teach how to fight in armour on horseback. No. Its not the SCA, or ACL/BoTN.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Colonel Cancer posted:

Uh the Samurai had these things called Naginatas.

IE: bardiches or a poleaxe.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Kazak posted:

Plate armor is heavy and slow as hell you could just dance around the knight and tip him over

Hahaha... uh no.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah but samurai have the powers of divine wind, or "kamikaze"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

well what are their spell capabilities

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

samurai would get some low tier spells similar to a ranger. the only spell-like ability a knight would have is lay on hands to heal himself if he has been acting lawfully and in accordance with his god

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Also is there prep time? like are we talking they lock eyes from across the plain so they have enough time to cast holy enchantments on their longsword +6/make an offering to the lucky gods for 2d6 physical protection or do we just plop them into existence to engage in melee combat immediately

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Also is there prep time? like are we talking they lock eyes from across the plain so they have enough time to cast holy enchantments on their longsword +6/make an offering to the lucky gods for 2d6 physical protection or do we just plop them into existence to engage in melee combat immediately

fair question.

the samurai is well rested. he had been sleeping on his cart and spied the boisterous knight exiting the local inn, were he had eaten a hardy breakfast of starches and cured meats.

neither have drawn weapons yet and they spy each other from 50 paces

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Evil Agita posted:

fair question.

the samurai is well rested. he had been sleeping on his cart and spied the boisterous knight exiting the local inn, were he had eaten a hardy breakfast of starches and cured meats.

neither have drawn weapons yet and they spy each other from 50 paces

Sounds like they got no beef with each other

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

Sounds like they got no beef with each other

they are both racist

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Evil Agita posted:

they are both racist

How can the non-white samurai be racist :confused:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

How can the non-white samurai be racist :confused:

Boooo to this "joke"

edit: The knight has heavier gear and will tire himself out killing locals in between him and the samurai

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tom Cruise samurai vs Martin Lawrence Knight?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

They pass each other with a respectful nod.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Y'all seem to be forgetting that the samurai can summon a zord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The knight is Heath Ledger and, therefore, already dead.

• Locked thread