Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

I assume no deep dives into mechanics or gameplay just yet? No "can my leader equip a laser sword?" or "is there leaders as well as heroes?"

Michiel van den Bos back on for music?

I have some leeway in what I can discuss. Just remember that the game is in pre-alpha, and things are subject to change!

To answer your questions: Yes they can, Yes there are and Yes he is.

Triskelli posted:

I'd like to know about the overwatch and missed shots mechanics myself.

In short, accuracy is set up so the base accuracy is almost a guaranteed hit (normally around 90%), but lots of thigns reduce it (cover, units in the way, defense mode, distance). If a shot does miss, there's a chance that it will graze a target and do half damage. Grazed shots also often have special effects removed, so a high impact shot that knocks a target onto another hex won't do the knockback on a graze.

Overwatch is directional, so you can go around it, and also triggers when something acts (e.g. Shooting while under overwatch will trigger overwatch). You can exhaust overwatch by running evasive or tanky units through it (obviously quite dangerous), or by using the new Stagger system. To be brief, certain attacks (mostly explosives and melee attacks) stagger a target, causing it to lose an action point and cancelling any special modes (overwatch, defense mode) it's in. so chucking a grenade at a unit in overwacth will often cancel it.

Also, only certain units can use overwatch (typically infantry with assault rifle or sniper rifle style weapons). Initially we gave it to everything, but it made combat feel really static and passive.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Cyborg penguins this time

I cannot comment!

Arrrthritis posted:

Will there be space goblins?

Sort of! However the design has changed gradually over time so the goblin/orc faction (the Assembly) has had a lot of its goblinness replaced with mechanical legs and metal tentacles. They're pretty cool though! They have a unit that can take apart corpses and rebuild them into little spider bomb robots.

mitochondritom posted:

Hmm perhaps. I had googled the problem and that solution came up a lot with regard to laptops. I will to investigate tonight.

Good luck! I don't actually do tech support, so I'm afraid I don't actually know how to check for/solve this myself. I pinged someone about it, but I'm at home and haven't got an answer yet.

One can fix this by:

1. Go to the nVIDIA control panel.

2. Go to “Manage 3D Settings”, “Program Settings”

3.Add “AoW3.exe” and “AoW3_debug.exe” on the drop-list and set the ‘Power Management mode’ feature to ‘Prefer maximum performance’.The game is now forced to use the dedicated GPU

You can also send an email to AoW3Support@triumphstudios.com and send a DXDiag log

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

I have some leeway in what I can discuss. Just remember that the game is in pre-alpha, and things are subject to change!

To answer your questions: Yes they can, Yes there are and Yes he is.

Heh, I honestly said those deep dive questions as examples, good to know we'll be getting leaders again, I hope they fight as well as heroes like AOW1 and 3 and aren't relegated to sitting in mage towers. Always hated that from AOW2.

The combat mechanics are giving me a fun feeling of Jake's XCOM and I'm totally into this.

I'm also totally into robot orcs with fun spider goblin pals. :awesomelon:

If you can: I assume from the unit question at the Q&A its a safe bet to assume "Class" is gone from designing yourself. That a Vanguard army fighting another Vanguard army isn't going to wildly differ (as such as an orc rogue and an orc warlord differs) in unit variation. The variation instead will come in from what you find in the game world, what secret technologies you uncover?

Do you still have plans to have that little sprinkle of difference at creation, such as adapt's of different schools (Shadowborn, Fire Master, Explorer and so on) of magic for your leader differing each? I always enjoyed that part, made the leaders feel even more unique.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Well, you can choose a technology which sort of represents where you want to go with your race. Xenoplague is an example of one such technology, which grants you mutant units and mods (you can see a xenoplague units in the 2nd screenshot in the OP). Psynumbra is another, they tear holes in the fabric of space to let thoguh creatures from the abyss, so lots of psionic stuff. This tech is made to supplement your race (while in AoW3 your race suplemented your class), so your tech tree might be 30% tech, 50% race, 20% global stuff. We're still experimenting with different ways that you can choose this tech, you might choose when the game starts, or you might unlock it in game somehow.

There will also be traits and perks you can use to further customize your race. Both positive things that grant bonuses, and negatives that give penalties in excahnge for taking more positives.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Ah, Purity/Supremacy/Harmony.

Edit: To be less flippant, I entirely approve of a space strategy game where at some point you make fundamental, radically divergent decisions about the future course of your society instead of everyone marching to the same End of History society.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 21, 2018

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Erm, sort of. Those 3 were like directions that were part of a shared tech tree, while our techs each have their separate tech trees. Also, each tech tree has its own unique units instead of unit varients (that’s how it worked in BE, right? It’s been a while)

Each tech does have it’s own game ending, superweapon tho, so that’s covered!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

Each tech does have it’s own game ending, superweapon tho, so that’s covered!

The most important part.

Also it does sound like a logical advancement of the Adapt/Master perks at leader creation. More importantly, it also reminds me of Command and Conquer: Kane's Wrath, in where you can choose to be a deviant of a core faction which loses units and technologies to gain unique ones.

Sure you might not lose units in Planetfall, but you might not care to build "archers" as much if you're going the tech rout that gives you more powerful melee.

As for how you unlock it, I really did like it being tied to different leaders at the start of games even if you still needed to unlock them fully with research. Could still have tech unlocks and choices later on, after all AOW3 does it with secret spells!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Mechano Goblins with robot spider tentacles sound fun as hell, consider us hyped for next year!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This announcement came with AoW3 going 75% off on steam, so I picked it up on sale.

Lost a huge chunk of my army in the tutorial to a pair of wisps. :v: I knew from watching DasTactic that someone linked on the first page that you want to take out wisps at range and avoid melee at all costs. So I brought along mostly my storm sisters and initiates. Who... deal lightning damage at range, which wisps are immune to.

A rousing display of leadership from the elven princess in her first military command.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

This announcement came with AoW3 going 75% off on steam, so I picked it up on sale.

Lost a huge chunk of my army in the tutorial to a pair of wisps. :v: I knew from watching DasTactic that someone linked on the first page that you want to take out wisps at range and avoid melee at all costs. So I brought along mostly my storm sisters and initiates. Who... deal lightning damage at range, which wisps are immune to.

A rousing display of leadership from the elven princess in her first military command.

Getting wrecked by wisps is a right of passage. They are surprisingly deadly.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

mitochondritom posted:

Pretty much.

Would anyone appreciate if I took the time to snip madmac's guides into a google docs?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mitochondritom posted:

Especially if you play as Elves! Wisps are one of the few things which are weak against the ultimate master race (goblins) however, since they're weak against blight damage.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I am usually all elf all the time but there just is something adorable about the AoW gobbos that makes me love them unconditionally while sending them to their inevitable deaths. :3:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thyrork posted:

Pretty much.

Would anyone appreciate if I took the time to snip madmac's guides into a google docs?

I know I would! Maybe we’ll get some more multiplayer games put together with the new thread. I know I’d be down for a dominions-style PBEM Let’s Play.

E: I forget if it’s completely up to date but there’s also the Age of Wonders 3 Database

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 21, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Noir89 posted:

I am usually all elf all the time but there just is something adorable about the AoW gobbos that makes me love them unconditionally while sending them to their inevitable deaths. :3:

I still can't help but play all Human all the time. I'd readily accept heroes and recruits of other races, but their ruler's got to be Human.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I still can't help but play all Human all the time. I'd readily accept heroes and recruits of other races, but their ruler's got to be Human.

a bunch of pink dudes on horses, the undeniable pinnacle of fantasy warfare

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
In no particular order:

Human Necromancer. Something satisfies me to be the anti-necromancer, to the point that I also go fire master to get the real feeling of "burn the dead."

Frostling Sorceror. Because it is (was?) disgustingly good. Plus blanketing the world in snow and ice is the frostling fantasy.

Tigran Warlord with Shadowborn. Leap at your foes with enraged cats who lifesteal and good pikemen. March out all before you, for all cities will be cat cities by the end.

Orc Theocrat. Because I really like my hooded orc lady and her creepy death mask and white glowing eyes. Bonus points for her wild magic mastery leading to transforming her followers in exciting ways!

Orc/Elf Dreadnought. The world will tremble before Orcish steel and musket! Alternatively plant trees to feed them to your war machines!

Rogues are great no matter what you are, but its always a party when you're a Halfling.

I don't like Arch Druids much, but my goblin destruction mastery one spreading the endless swamp always felt good.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just found this thread and gotta make a hype post!

HYPE!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
My AoW3 picks:

Dreadnought, dreadnought, dreadnought, DREADNOUGHT

maybe warlord sometimes.

I've a militaristic streak in me, what can I say.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm messing around in a random map, and just killed some unicorn riders by throwing chickens at them.

Game of the year.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I'm messing around in a random map, and just killed some unicorn riders by throwing chickens at them.

Game of the year.

GOTY 2014 that is for sure. This game practically got me through writing up my thesis way back when. I would cane it in the lab and then return home to swarm the lands with my sweet druid armies. Between this and Civilisation V and liberal amounts of Lamb's Navy Rum I somehow survived it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mitochondritom posted:

GOTY 2014 that is for sure. This game practically got me through writing up my thesis way back when. I would cane it in the lab and then return home to swarm the lands with my sweet druid armies. Between this and Civilisation V and liberal amounts of Lamb's Navy Rum I somehow survived it.

I'm playing around with a lady halfling dreadnought, because the idea of a bunch of halflings building battle tanks or whatever it is dreadnoughts do amuses me.

Definitely learning to save before attacking, though, in my various random maps I keep losing my leader (or worse, my first hero) to unlucky hits.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
As somebody who enjoys singleplayer campaigns, is it worth trying out AoW3?

If so, any advice and tips? Sit back and relax, or is it pretty hard and do you need to be a perfectionist?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Kalenden posted:

If so, any advice and tips? Sit back and relax, or is it pretty hard and do you need to be a perfectionist?

I enjoyed the single player campaigns a lot, including the Golden Realms one with the vietcong guerrilla halflings. It has now been 4 years, but if I recall correctly the best tactic was to just push forward no matter what. Turtling up was the death knell of the campaign maps and rushing ruled the day.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kalenden posted:

Truthfully I didn't care much for the campaign, but I rarely do in these types of games. I played it like Civ, just loading up random maps and trying all kinds of my own lords. Pretty fun that way.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Cythereal posted:

I'm playing around with a lady halfling dreadnought, because the idea of a bunch of halflings building battle tanks or whatever it is dreadnoughts do amuses me.

Definitely learning to save before attacking, though, in my various random maps I keep losing my leader (or worse, my first hero) to unlucky hits.

Halfling Dreads are fantastic, lucky musketeers and party robots are The Best(TM)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Chomp8645 posted:

Truthfully I didn't care much for the campaign, but I rarely do in these types of games. I played it like Civ, just loading up random maps and trying all kinds of my own lords. Pretty fun that way.

Same, but I still played the campaign, I just broke out into cheating when it frustrated me. The plot was engaging and some of the events that fire in the missions themselves were neat.

The eternal lord's final level especially.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CommissarMega posted:

I think humans and dwarves are literally the only races I never willingly play if I have another option. So goddamn boring when you could instead be a cool big smash dude or rad ice wizzard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So are the likes of engineers (and scoundrels in the campaign) worth using, or am I better off using racial units until I get higher tier stuff?

At the moment in my halfling dreadnought game I'm relying on my leader and starting army (a farmer, a jester, and a whole lot of pony riders) and first hero (another dreadnought) to clear out neutral sites while I build in my starting city and look for a suitable place to build a city.

I went fire, creation, exploration.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Engineers are good to build a few of now (like max 3 or 4)so you can focus on building musketeers instead later, and hopefully they’ll level up to Machine Repair once you start building trebuchets and cannons. While their flashbang grenades are decent you’ve got Jesters with Fireworks which do the same thing but better.

Scoundrels are Sprint machines. You want them to slip behind the enemy and get them to turn around your opponent so your hero can get a backstab on something.

Also take Imperial Authority on your Dread heroes ASAP and split them up to lead two different stacks. You want to stack as many morale boosts on Halflings as possible.

Expander is the skill you really want with Dreads, because you want big cities and you want roads between them. Explorer only buffs your Irregular units, but the halfling Adventurers are some of the best Irregulars in the game so its not a huge loss.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 21, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Zore posted:

I think humans and dwarves are literally the only races I never willingly play if I have another option. So goddamn boring when you could instead be a cool big smash dude or rad ice wizzard.

In AOW3's defense, humanity being "is good at boats, also holy magic" is neat and a good callback to both AOW1 (humanity originally came from "afar" by boats) and AOW2 (in which they became a religiously dominated people by Phobos) while also being valid to gameplay as spirit damage is fine and dandy option to have outside of being a theocrat.

Dwarves on the other hand are just bland enough to be a turn off. Firstborn own, but you dont need to be a dwarf to get them.

Triskelli covered the rest but:

Cythereal posted:

I went fire, creation, exploration.

Creation gets you some healing, a thing dreads lack, and fire gets you fire vulnerability, something I'm fairly sure you can exploit with more then just fireball. They're both fine choices and honestly that entire system can be used to play to strengths or shore up weaknesses. Theres really no bad choices, just okay to better ones.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 21, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just found out about this and i can not contain my excitement

i loving love playing age of wonders 3 with people who are willing to play map settings besides "few cities few dwellings" and also aren't dicks about split stacking, if anyone wants to get some games of that in during the build up to scifi of wonders i'd be so down

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

looking at the info released about planetfall, my first impression is that i'm a little sad to see the adjacent hex rule is back. it's neat in theory/single player but it turns multiplayer into a weird mess if you're playing against someone who's not willing to say "lets not be dicks about this." hopefully there's some other system in place to help with this issue.

hey gerblyn, are you able to answer any questions/elaborate at all on the approach triumph is taking to multiplayer this time around? would you say the way that AoW3's multiplayer ended up developing has influenced planetfall's design at all?

swapping class and race importance and replacing class with a specific tech tree is an interesting decision. my big question is: is multiclassing possible, or once you've starting researching down a tree are you locked into that tree?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

looking at the info released about planetfall, my first impression is that i'm a little sad to see the adjacent hex rule is back. it's neat in theory/single player but it turns multiplayer into a weird mess if you're playing against someone who's not willing to say "lets not be dicks about this." hopefully there's some other system in place to help with this issue.

I played a bunch of single player but never tried multiplayer, and I'm not sure what the adjacent hex rule is. What made it so terrible in multiplayer?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

I played a bunch of single player but never tried multiplayer, and I'm not sure what the adjacent hex rule is. What made it so terrible in multiplayer?

You can force it so you have 4 stacks to the opponents 3 pretty easily with simul turns which is what MP uses.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Simultaneous turns is just not very good unless the simultaneous part is the planning phase and the execution happens all at once afterwards. You can't force a turn based game to turn into an RTS and expect it to play well together.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

the AHR is what determines which units are pulled into a combat. when you attack a hex, the defending hex and any hexes adjacent to it are pulled into battle.

there's 2 problems with this. the lesser one is what zore described, which is that's 7 hexes total, so if you have an army with 4 stracks, and the other guy has an army with 4 stacks, someone's just plain going to get boned (unless you can courteously agree to a 3v3) and this usually results in a lot of time spent dancing your units around so that you're the one with the 4 in this 4v3, or avoiding conflict if you think you might get stuck with the 3. even if you can agree to a 3v3, there's still some stickier things like the defender having a massive advantage over the attacking player

the second problem is split stacking. if you're playing with simultaneous turns, this is a massive exploit. basically, say you have 2 stacks, and the other guy has 3 stacks. he's gonna win, because it's 2v3, right? so he'll have no problem attacking. but, he has to move his stacks next to your stacks 1 at a time. so, normally, he moves his first stack into position, then his second stack, then his third, then attacks, bringing all 3 stacks into the fight.

if you're an rear end in a top hat, instead of sitting around you can attack his first stack before he moves his second stack into position, giving you a 2v1 that you'll win easily and turning the situation into a 2v2 (if he still wants to attack you for whatever reason, you can just do it again and turn it into a 2v1).

people who play in this fashion basically make multiplayer unplayable, so pretty much everyone in both aow3 communities i've participated in agree that these 2 issues are something the players have to have some kind of gentleman's agreement over. but there's a disgusting amount of hemming and hawing over what EXACTLY constitutes split stacking, and a lot of non-goon aow3 matches i've played (probably the majority) end up devolving into weird hour long arguments about what is and is not ok.

luckily, that was never a real issue in any of the goon games i played, and especially not during the tourney that i can recall.

the only airtight solution is to play classic turns instead of simultaneous, but then the game takes like 8 hours to play, at minimum half of which you spend doing literally nothing. no one has fun!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Simultaneous turns is just not very good unless the simultaneous part is the planning phase and the execution happens all at once afterwards. You can't force a turn based game to turn into an RTS and expect it to play well together.

i can't say i ever felt like it was a big deal in, say, endless legend, since the zone that pulled units into combat was large enough that generally, you'd get all the units you wanted in a fight into the fight. but i dunno, i played way less EL than AoW3 because i like AoW3 way, way more, so maybe there's some other issues that i just didn't play enough to come across

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Torrannor posted:

It's much more explicit in the Might & Magic RPGs themselves. In the endgames of M&M 6, 7 and 8, you run around with laser blasters as your beast weapons. The "devils" are just demon looking aliens, etc. In M&M 1-5, you follow a robot of the "Ancients" through various worlds that are mostly fantasy reams, but always feature robot enemies at the end.
Sadly, Might and Magic 8 did not have blaster rifles, though it's villian was a weird Star Ttek robot.

I suppose after Might and Magic 7 they had pretty much as gone as far as they could go. In the climax, your motley crew of wizards and warriors puts on their scuba gear and goes on a deep dive, armed with their blaster pistols, to retrieve a futuristic mcguffin from a sunken spaceship deep in an oceanic trench.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Y'all be talking about goblins like I'm supposed to care. Blue's a better color than green, and frostlings are just better goblins in every way. They have all sorts of Really Annoying poo poo to deal with. I never get tired of seeing White Witches annihilating everything.

edit: also, shout out to Triumph, AOWIII had some of the greatest post-release patching I've ever seen. If I remember correctly, the idea that many (most?) of the class units should be tweaked to reflect their race was added in as a free patch. I think the little racial bonus trees was patched in too? Most of that stuff was done with a bunch of player input, and with a really good lack of accepting stupid player input.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i believe the racial governance was a dlc deal. if it's free, it came as part of a dlc's update