Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
old memories can lie to you, but i'm pretty sure it was the first video game i ever spent money on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

aow1 was way better than SM

prettier too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Being a fan of AoW1 is why I never got into the story of AoW2 or 3. The retcons about the setting and story and how the world works are just too severe and unexplained.

Yes, I cared about the story in AoW1.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm over 30, I love AoW1. The story was great, the manual was 100 pages long, the gameplay was engaging.

AoW2 was just as good, and I liked the story a lot as well. Shadow Magic's improved on AoW2's gameplay while being much weaker in the story department.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
AoW1 had Michiel van den Bos as a composer so there's that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That's very true, AoW1 has a great OST. One of the few games where the soundtrack never got old. I've played a lot of custom maps back then and always enjoyed listening to the music.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yandat posted:

how the gently caress old are yall that you have opinions about age of wonders 1

lol

it came out in 2000, little one

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cythereal posted:

Being a fan of AoW1 is why I never got into the story of AoW2 or 3. The retcons about the setting and story and how the world works are just too severe and unexplained.

Yes, I cared about the story in AoW1.

AoW1's campaign was amazing and I remember being really really disappointed when AoW2 came out and the campaign was just not even close to as good. The way it all built up and ended was totally new to an RTS style game at the time!

Also New Dev Diary is out, check out those screenshots and that is some really good information about the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think the devs are underestimating how unwilling any strategy player is to give up land.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Torrannor posted:

I think the devs are underestimating how unwilling any strategy player is to give up land.

Yea. I hope they're not the players who would lose a city in Civ and keep playing because they're definitely the exception.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Reiterpallasch posted:

i cant believe they dumbed down the super deep AOW1 strategy of always taking lightning strike + first strike + regeneration on your leader and soloing everything

in later patches you couldn't take First Strike as a leader :colbert:

you took Dominate instead :rolleye:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Emporer. :aaa:

At the same time, I can't believe how much I wanted a solid tbs that's not xcom until now. :aaaaa:

If there's jellyfish aliens, is there any chance of starfish aliens as well?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Bloodly posted:

What made 2 dumbed down compared to 1, and what made 3 dumbed down compared to 2? Dumbed down is a very loaded term that also has the problem of being very very vague.

Seeing someone accuse a game of being 'dumbed down' with no further explanation in a post is kinda like seeing a girl with a visible horse tattoo on her tindr profile.

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
New Dev Diary is out!

Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #4: Creator Engine 4.0

Dvar commander looking bulky

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
My machine is getting old, and that looks like some fancy and resource intensive graphics :ohdear:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I'm not going to be able to run this game !

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

where's the discord thyrork

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
Combat Dev Diary

Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #5: Tactical Combat

Boom!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress i wanna play this game already

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Voyager I posted:

Seeing someone accuse a game of being 'dumbed down' with no further explanation in a post is kinda like seeing a girl with a visible horse tattoo on her tindr profile.

You had fewer options, I guess? 2 did feel like they'd "smoothed" it compared to the first game.
It was a lot prettier but there weren't as many factions, not as many spells and not quite as much to do. This changed when Shadow Magic came out but I remember being really disappointed in 2 at first.

That same removal of options carried on into 3.

To be clear I'm not the person who said it was dumbed down nor agreeing, I'm just guessing what that person thinks when they're saying it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 13, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

smaller numbers isn't the same as a game being dumbed down, mechanical depth is much more valuable than having a million things to do that all blow

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Okay, I have to ask: what is with all the Samus avatars lately. Did I miss a new Metroid game or something?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Okay, I have to ask: what is with all the Samus avatars lately. Did I miss a new Metroid game or something?

The last Metroid is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace.

:comfysamus:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

wiegieman posted:

They're from the Summer Games Done Quick thread. There is no new Metroid game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

smaller numbers isn't the same as a game being dumbed down, mechanical depth is much more valuable than having a million things to do that all blow

I'd say that the things you could do in AoW1 were all pretty interesting although I'm sure there's huge "tier lists" of who is poo poo and who isn't.
AoW2 was such a different game, especially with the whole wizard tower thing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I dub this defacto AoW3 thread until planetfall comes out

What are some map/ai settings that you vets have had luck with that forced (or at least, encouraged) more even battles?

Most fun part of AoW3 for me was tough fights, but the mid/late game was so often defined by snowballing, and just as as general tbs-strategy, winning with overwhelming force and minimal losses is generally the 'correct' (but not the most fun) way to play.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Large, continental map with 6 players on King mode, and try to win a Seals victory. Once everyone starts going for the seals, you're forced to engage in fights you wouldn't normally choose too. It also encourages large scale fights which aren't in cities.

Note that the last time I tried this, I actually lost. I took out two players, but a warlord then parked an unholy number of manticore riders over a seal and that was it. My own fault for focusing on conquest instead of seals I guess!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Playing with cool people who are willing to not exploit simultaneous turn mechanics in order to minimize losses is how I do it. I always found surface only, medium, land, average cities to be the most fun settings (the game is fast enough to allow for early game focused/low tier strategies, but also players gain resources fast enough that seeing t3s is reasonable)

I did experiment with some other out there settings though. Not extensively enough to firm a huge opinion on them, unfortunately. Jacking up cities to many turns the game into a peacekeeper map, since you can vassal faster than you can conquer so the player that vassals faster gets a bit economic advantage. The "main" aow3 group (the one you'd find if you went to the official forums) plays few cities few dwellings, and that encourages ridiculous settler spam, crazy hyperrushes, and basically nothing else and blows hard.

I made a mod at one point to massively jack up the number of dwellings on the map, to play a dwelling only game, but unfortunately I never got the chance to play it with anyone.

Larger maps/water maps/UG maps can be neat but I don't like them because they take ages to play and everyone ends up being tuckered out before the action really begins.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
UG maps also have a habbit of hiding boneyards way too long. Just before battle "outa Nowhere!! It's a bone Dragon army with a steel chair!!"

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
Another Combat Dev Diary, closer look at some units

Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #6: Combat Units 1

Some nice screenshots again, I like the Exposed Flanks attribute and the Heavy Unit attribute making it not turn towards the attacker

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So far this looks really good. Are the Kir'ko a minor faction?

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet

Torrannor posted:

So far this looks really good. Are the Kir'ko a minor faction?

Kir'Ko are one of the 6 major playable factions

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is pretty cool

it mentions that these are 2 t2 units, are the tier lists still 1-4?

is there still only 1 type of t4 available per player? are they still designed to be catch-all "good in every situation with few counters" units?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

this is pretty cool

it mentions that these are 2 t2 units, are the tier lists still 1-4?

is there still only 1 type of t4 available per player? are they still designed to be catch-all "good in every situation with few counters" units?

I'm trying not to give too much away, cos I still need to write a ton of dev diaries about this stuff, but yes, units still go from Tiers 1 to 4. We're trying to make the Tier 4 units more fit the Super Support role if we can, so think more Shrine of Smiting than Manticore rider.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

I'm trying not to give too much away, cos I still need to write a ton of dev diaries about this stuff, but yes, units still go from Tiers 1 to 4. We're trying to make the Tier 4 units more fit the Super Support role if we can, so think more Shrine of Smiting than Manticore rider.

Is it you writing the diaries Gerblyn?

And that's a shame to hear because I really enjoy the T4 units being some gigantic super strong thing. Although I do get that it means every army is just them and nothing else.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doom stacks are boring and obsolete units is a waste of design is my hotte take

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Is it you writing the diaries Gerblyn?

And that's a shame to hear because I really enjoy the T4 units being some gigantic super strong thing. Although I do get that it means every army is just them and nothing else.

I'm writing the combat ones! I am Tombles on the PDX forums. And yeah, T4 spam was a huge complaint about AoW3 that we are trying to fix!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Doom stacks are boring and obsolete units is a waste of design is my hotte take

It's also very difficult to remove. People will rally together armies of the best they can field to do a job. How do you keep a unit from going obsolete? There would have to be no other options/choices, which then leads to armies all becoming the same.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
You can get some mileage by allowing the player to upgrade early game units as the game progresses. You can also try and set up your system so that units complement each other in a way that means combinations of units are more effective than just spamming the same unit over and over (the Tank/DPS/Healer combo being the classic example of this).

It's certainly not easy though! If a game defines progression by unlocking stronger units, it's inevitable that those stronger units will outclass the weaker ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That sounds like a great plan for T4s. I would still like to see some super strong units, but they're best delivered occasionally from a dwelling or quest or something. Cranking out an army of them that obsoletes most of your other units is boring. Battles are best when they're full of lots of diverse units.