Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
For this one, yes. If there's consensus on them being too disruptive I might remove it for any later ones, but they're brand new so I'm reluctant to do axe them without trying them out first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Honestly, I’m probably only mentioning it because I’m exhausted. I was perfectly fine with it the first day of our game, my mood matches my energy level rather than a serious concern, or I’d have had second thoughts about it during my road trip.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

personally i could take them or leave them but i do agree that they should be in the tournament settings, at least this time, to see how they do among a larger pool of players

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh also I'm fighting sins if anyone wants to watch

https://www.twitch.tv/ninjewtsusa

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

- The following game settings are the tournament standards, but may be overridden for a matchup if both players agree on an alternate. Note that several of these are not the game’s default setting!

No beta patches.
Imperial world (default).
Low world threat level.
Small world size.
Pangea landmass.
Team game with each player on their own team.
Long strategic turn timer.
No tactical idle timer.
Always observe manual combat.
Combat cards enabled; 3 cards, 8 turn regeneration.
Heroes match player race.
Hero resurgence off.
Invasions at normal time and difficulty.
All other advanced settings on the normal game defaults for the chosen map type.

hey jerk you forgot about the ocean frequency changes!

i don't wanna play with the possibility of spawning 3 sectors away from my opponent!

EDIT: :argh: i thought i read all these rules, you don't have manual vs players always either! and if we're going back to old combat card vs players and ai rules the card regen should be 7

should probably also specify empire quests on

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 14, 2020

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I'll add the ocean frequency one because it's nice for making starts more consistent, but I'm not as sold on always manual versus players. Playing out a half-dozen scout fights is just awful.

Anyway...

Tournament Update

The list of participants so far, in order of posting:
ninjewtsu
Ratios and Tendency
Sinsling
Lowen
El_Elegante
Zulily Zoetrope
MOVIE MAJICK

Still waiting on at least one more, guys. Y'all have about 24 hours or so to join... notably, I think the only person from the previous tourney that's in this one in ninjew. Nobody wants to get their revenge?

Rules are linked in the OP (although they're pending a couple minor tweaks I need to edit in).

MrNo
Jun 15, 2020
i am become goon

Sign me up orange.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Tournament Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rXDedLK3Ck

We're live starting right now. First games must be completed within ten days, which sets the deadline at Thursday, June 25.

I'm sure everyone is completely happy with their random seeding and no one will complain at all.

Rules post is linked in the OP. I have changed two things (and tweaked some wording for clarity); one is the percentage of ocean climate (down from 50% default to 35%), and the other is the prize pool (thanks, Smiling Knight!). First place is unchanged, but second and third are both getting $10 worth of game(s). This means I will be adding one more game that's not on the bracket to decide third place between the last two people out (loser of 11 vs loser of 13).

Good luck to everybody!

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Sinsling
Jun 6, 2020
Son of...

Whelp. This ought to be highly amusing.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay I'll join up :-)

Yo, are you in the discord?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what discord

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

El_Elegante posted:

what discord

End of the second line in the OP.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

IIRC, that's dyckboss.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Yeah as dyckboss

You wanna play our game Thursday?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

For anyone having issues finding the discord link!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah as dyckboss

You wanna play our game Thursday?

Depending on your timezone I might be but I'm also free all weekend. Come hit up the discord, I'm usually in there and we can coordinate.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Depending on your timezone I might be but I'm also free all weekend. Come hit up the discord, I'm usually in there and we can coordinate.

Alright I'll pop in tomorrow when I'm free in the evening. I'm also super free on Sunday

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I won the game vs Zulily Zoetrope

me: celestial amazons
Zulily Zoetrope: psyumbra assembly

Took a city basically uncontested, then attacked with my 3 stacks vs their 2 - won losing only 1 unit. They surrendered after that since all I had to do was go for the capital.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp, that's the first game of the tournament, as far as I can tell!

Zulily Zoetrope (Psynumbra Assembly) vs. Lowen (Celestial Amazon): Lowen wins

Major points of note

-I putzed around for way too long trying to get a real stable war economy, which led me to be outnumbered nearly 2 to 1 when the actual fightin began.

-I thought spamming Vorpal Snipers was a smart plan. I realized much too late that regardless of that plan's general merit, I was up against a faction with nasty melee units, stagger resistance and status resistance aplenty, as well as the Scan: Catalogue action. My kill zone lasted about a turn before I had lancers all up in my business.

-One thing I did manage to do was scout all over the drat place, and had scoped out all my opponent's cities by the time he found a single one of mine. Then he launched a successful Steal Maps operation. :argh:

-I had a good time! Next time I will apply myself to the loser's bracket with a strategy that isn't just spamming a favorite unit on the custom commander I used for my very first game.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
First blood to the Amazons! Making up for their no-show in the last one where they were 0-for-1.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
If anyone not involved in the tournament (or looking for another game), is interested in a casual, low pressure game with several AIs and a guaranteed invasion, hit me up. Preferably on discord, because I have this on GOG, not steam.

War between players is OK, but looking for a game big enough for some later content to show up, if you survive.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It's come to my attention that I forgot to change the ruleset to account for the fact that world threat doesn't exist as a setting anymore. I've changed it to be normal game intensity, but with low defender strength as an advanced setting.

Sinsling
Jun 6, 2020
Sinsling as Dvar Psynumbra vs Mrno as Vanguard Synthesis. Sinsling wins.

Mrno tried to do a synthesis turret build that sadly never made the light of day. We ended up with a teleporter directly between my base and his.

My goal was fireburst trenchers. While I did get my techs, we were so close that I didn't manage to mod anything but my commander. Even my second hero didn't make it to the deciding combat. We ended getting coronal mass ejection(-50% production) right towards the end of the game, ultimately hurting Mrno more than my rich dvar coffers with prospector production.

The final combat was 10v12, with me losing my commander and having 4 units left. Thankfully I had another full stack on the way that forced a surrender as Mrno admitted he didn't have enough units left to combat a stack of 10 units.

Some things of note;
- chemists and faction t3 drops from pickups in general, are just stupid broken

- therian dwellings are guarded by dog poo poo. i faced a therian sniper, 2 prowlers, and a wild harrier to capture one. it was silly.

- 2 sheperds aren't so scary when they act like idiots and are accompanied by 4 hopperhounds.

- facing 95% tohit through cover is scary. Calibrated probably applies after the cover reduction.

Good game Mrno. Suggesting teleporters are off in future tournaments to avoid silly spawns like that.

Vod will be here for a few days at least: https://twitch.tv/videos/655898521

Fixed video link, sorry about that.

Sinsling fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 20, 2020

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LordSloth posted:

If anyone not involved in the tournament (or looking for another game), is interested in a casual, low pressure game with several AIs and a guaranteed invasion, hit me up. Preferably on discord, because I have this on GOG, not steam.

War between players is OK, but looking for a game big enough for some later content to show up, if you survive.

I'd be interested in this.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Finally got back into this and I have no idea what is good anymore. Only doing the campaign and random play against the AI, not other players.

Did anyone do a faction/unit guide like what was done for AoW3?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

unfortunately not, madmac is not around to do them and no one else has stepped up

orange has done some deep dive videos on a faction or two so that's somewhat the same thing, in hour+ long video form

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It's on my long-term to-do list.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.twitch.tv/ninjewtsusa

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Quote is not edit

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i beat El_Elegante, my psynumbra assembly vs his promethean vanguard

it was an interesting match, elegante didn't get a second city until like turn 14 but he had an honestly massive army on turn 12 running around clearing. he could've easily sniped a city or two while my clearing army was stuck in the rear end end of nowhere for 10 turns

it was a pretty impressive showing for someone's first MP game, i just think he got ruined pretty hard by not getting a couple colonizers out asap (and thus i had like 3-4x the cosmite that he did by the time we did fight)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Confirmed the L, I was satisfied with how many units I was able to get on the field, but absolutely stumbled when it came to using them effectively. I was also worried that I had earned myself ill will for forgetting the engagement courtesies when I hit a scout unit at the beginning, but it makes sense since no one was going reinforce a solitary unit.

Here's hoping I put up a better fight in the elimination bracket!

MrNo
Jun 15, 2020
oh right I"m supposed to come here and say I lost.

I lost. Sins' summary of the game is pretty accurate. drat that world event nuking production is rough.

Also sinsling the coward all-in'ed me with trenchers when I was trying to do my awesome engineer build. I just wanna take a moment to condemn this cowardly tryhard.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

I was also worried that I had earned myself ill will for forgetting the engagement courtesies when I hit a scout unit at the beginning, but it makes sense since no one was going reinforce a solitary unit.

oh there was no problem there, that scout had 0 mp iirc and i had already figured it was going to die. it's always good manners to ask before a fight but if you mess up on a scout no one reasonable is going to be sour about it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ninjewtsu posted:

i beat El_Elegante, my psynumbra assembly vs his promethean vanguard

Hey, nice!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

:awesomelon::hf::awesomelon:

yeah original plan was to tech rush to malictors but my starting spawn was a ton of energy sectors and a ton of produciton sectors so i went with "a whole crapload of initiates" instead

process colonist is super good and i got a happiness event for production while it was active. 3 initiates from the same city in the same turn!

also corpse reprocessor + cloaking implants is +4 armor and +15% evasion and that's pretty good for initiates

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 21, 2020

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Alright I'll pop in tomorrow when I'm free in the evening. I'm also super free on Sunday

Any chance of a game today? We're the final remaining game of the round.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 21, 2020

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ok, Ratios (Syndicate Promethean) vs MOVIE MAJICK (Vanguard Synthesis) has been completed.

I aimed to beeline aether storm and put it on a bunch of enforcers.

I managed to snipe a neutral city between us on the turn MAJICK bought it which was lucky. Soon after I scouted his capital and he'd got it up to 15 or 16 pop compared to my ~8s which got me a little worried. His initial stack threatened my 5th and most isolated city in the north around turn ~22 just as my fully modded out aether storm enforcers were coming online, causing him to think better of it and retreat. I kinda futzed around a bit here trying to join my 2 main groups giving him time to get some modded gunships up and ready. The final battle took place just outside his area 3 stacks vs 3 stacks 4000 vs 3000 army power, which I won pretty comprehensively thanks to flaming aether storms. I'd managed to get 3 cosmite sites locked down and had a very focused research path letting me get end game mods up much quicker which was probably the key.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 23, 2020

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Tournament Update

Week 1 completed two days early. Nobody's gone yet, but that will change this week.

Here are the race and ST distributions (wins in parenthesis):

Amazon: 1 (1)
Assembly: 2 (1)
Dvar: 1 (1)
Kir'Ko: 0 (0)
Shakarn: 0 (0)
Syndicate: 1 (1)
Vanguard: 3 (0)

Celestian: 1 (1)
Heritor: 0 (0)
Promethean: 2 (1)
Psynumbra: 3 (2)
Synthesis: 2 (0)
Voidtech: 0 (0)
Xenoplague: 0 (0)

Rough start for Vanguard, going 0-for-3. Psynumbra was the other popular pick but it did a lot better. Nobody's brave enough to try the new race yet - or even the "new" secret tech from the first DLC. However, the Amazons picked up their first ever tournament win.

As before the deadline is ten days from today: Friday, July 3rd.

MrNo
Jun 15, 2020
MrNo (Promethean Syndicate) vs. El_Elegante (Xenoplague Amazon): MrNo wins

So the game started out very slow. We rolled the Void Echoes world event which threw a wrench into combat plans all around while simultaneously boosting economy. We also failed to find each other for quite a while because, against all possible odds, the game managed to spawn us North/South on one end of a Pangaea map. I at least had scouts cross the entire continent to find nothing there, and then complete their circuit of the world in order to be useful. They brought a few Forgotten Serpions back with them from production pickups.

I eventually hit Enforce Control overseers w/ an army of indentured everything (turns out, Control Collared Paragon Guards are quite good) and closed out the game.

Unfortunately, neither of us had a good enough connection to properly host a stream of the game, so there's no recording.

GG El_Elegante, I hope we can play again sometime.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Seconding the loss. I made some strategic mistakes-should have teched a few race units rather than ST mods, pulled a stack back rather than committing to an outmatches fight. Overall fun, I’ll keep at these multiplayer matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Round 2 game of Lowen (Kirko Psiumbra) vs Ratios and Tendency (Syndicate Celestian)

Ratios and Tendency won after I surrendered.
He was doing way better than me economic and tech wise and when it came time for the final battle I just couldn't compete with his awesome modded out units. GG!