Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

It's a simple combo, but I'm really liking Shock and Awe + Flash Payload.

bamhand posted:

Anyway to get around the bug where the game hangs on independents moving? I'm like 4 hours into a game and about to win. Tried reloading an older saved game but it hasn't helped.

In strategic or in tactical? In tactical, just wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Strategic. I hit end turn and everyone moves. Then it gets to independents and never leaves that phase. Waited about 10-15 minutes.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

bamhand posted:

Strategic. I hit end turn and everyone moves. Then it gets to independents and never leaves that phase. Waited about 10-15 minutes.

Known bug, should be fixed on the open beta branch.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, was just wondering if there was anyway to salvage my game without waiting for the patch.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

bamhand posted:

Yeah, was just wondering if there was anyway to salvage my game without waiting for the patch.

I had the same issue and the beta branch fixed it. You can opt into the beta branch if you're using Steam. If not you might just have to wait.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a way to go back all the way to loadout selection before starting a new planet in Empire mode? I made some poor choices on the stuff I wanted to bring.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

The open beta fixes it on Steam. If you don’t have steam the patch will be coming very soon.

The hang is caused by having razed imperial defenses in your territory, so you can rebuild those. unfortunately it can also happen if there are razed imperial defenses in AI territory too, so that’s not a reliable fix.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there a way to go back all the way to loadout selection before starting a new planet in Empire mode? I made some poor choices on the stuff I wanted to bring.

I think that's what the option that replaces surrender is for. 'Abandon planet,' I think? You may not be able to visit the same planet with a different loadout, though.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Am I crazy or is the Star Kings campaign just completely terrible? In the first mission, I'm tasked with destroying an Assembly NPC that has their primary colony on an island completely surrounded by void. They can't seem to leave and I can't get to them. I'm supposed to do quests for three Oathbound colonies. One of the quests tells me to get three keys to unlock an obelisk, but I have no idea what that means or where to find them. One of them sent me to "Shroomwood Forest" to clear out some Mycelians, a no joke 7000 strength stack. I probably could make an army that could destroy them, but at this point I don't even know why I'm bothering.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You're supposed to find a way to destroy those micelians without fighting them. Keep asking your seer for help at every opportunity.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I played through the old AoW campaigns and quite enjoyed them but I just cannot get into the planetfall ones at all.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Kind of following on that note, I always faded out on the human "boring" tutorial campaign -- do the campaigns get better or is Empire Mode the best foot forward of this game for someone who wants to play it primarily solo? Should I be warned off playing it solo at all?

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Memnaelar posted:

Kind of following on that note, I always faded out on the human "boring" tutorial campaign -- do the campaigns get better or is Empire Mode the best foot forward of this game for someone who wants to play it primarily solo? Should I be warned off playing it solo at all?

Just picked this up on Steam and am wondering the same thing. Have never played any AoW games but I like Paradox games and space stuff. I see there's a campaign but "Found a New Empire" seems way cooler. I watched a YouTube video on the Galactic Empire mode, and it seems like an ongoing campaign itself if I'm not mistaken. Any recommendation on the best mode for a first play-through?

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

mincedgarlic posted:

Just picked this up on Steam and am wondering the same thing. Have never played any AoW games but I like Paradox games and space stuff. I see there's a campaign but "Found a New Empire" seems way cooler. I watched a YouTube video on the Galactic Empire mode, and it seems like an ongoing campaign itself if I'm not mistaken. Any recommendation on the best mode for a first play-through?

Definitely empire mode! Though the oathbound campaign, after you win, gives you a level 5 empire hero and unlocks the super-powerful paragon alpha soldiers in empire mode.

But just play empire, it’s a great experience that I hope other games emulate going forward.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alamoduh posted:

Definitely empire mode! Though the oathbound campaign, after you win, gives you a level 5 empire hero and unlocks the super-powerful paragon alpha soldiers in empire mode.

But just play empire, it’s a great experience that I hope other games emulate going forward.

Just play Empire mode. I actually didn't even try any of the campaigns until after finishing a million Empire games. I wouldn't have bothered without the concept of cool unlockable soldiers, and I went back and started a new Oathbound campaign today after apparently doing it wrong before and not consulting the seer. The campaign is actually just as bad with that bit of advice, it's just a trash campaign. The unlockable soldiers aren't even that great.

Edit: You can only unlock a couple of units through the campaigns, the Paragon Elites. It's not worth it. Just make custom commanders and play custom missions that sound fun.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 24, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Idk if it's better for a new player to jump right into empire mode or to do a standard random map instead. The campaigns have people who like them and people who don't, they're worth a shot but if they don't grab you just move on to the other sp modes

I would not say this is a game to steer clear of if you're looking for a purely sp experience. I play almost entirely mp and while a lot of great considerations have been made this is not a game that was built for mp first and foremost. It's definitely a game meant to be played single player, with some fundamental game design that makes for some really fun multiplayer even if a lot of base mechanical implementation isn't well suited for that

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 24, 2020

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The Official Recommendation (TM) is to play one quick game on the Practice world template if you've never played the game before. You don't have to finish it or anything, but playing for 20-30 turns on a chill world where all the threat is turned down lets you get to grip with the game's mechanics and things without all the stress of knowing that some AI player or random monster spawn is going to turn up and start loving with you.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Gerblyn posted:

The Official Recommendation (TM) is to play one quick game on the Practice world template if you've never played the game before. You don't have to finish it or anything, but playing for 20-30 turns on a chill world where all the threat is turned down lets you get to grip with the game's mechanics and things without all the stress of knowing that some AI player or random monster spawn is going to turn up and start loving with you.

are ya'll making age of wonders 4

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Oh yeah, it's always easy to forget once you know everything because all of the individual mechanics are (relatively) simple, but there's a real metric gently caress ton to learn when you first get into the game. Getting a feel for the mechanics and learning what each unit does (there's tons of them and they're all fairly unique!) And what each mod does (there's a ton of them and they're all fairly unique!) While playing a low stress world would be a good idea

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

THS posted:

are ya'll making age of wonders 4

I’m not allowed to talk about that kind of thing :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Memnaelar posted:

Play the bug campaign it's got bugs

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gerblyn posted:

Can you confirm or deny having something to do with the plush toy frog in the Oathbound campaign? :v:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Gerblyn posted:

I'll take this as a yes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'll be honest as much as I want an age of wonders 4 if triumph announced a first person farming sim tomorrow I'd be pretty hyped to see what they put out

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Planetfall 2 :colbert:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Overlord 4 3

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Can you confirm or deny having something to do with the plush toy frog in the Oathbound campaign? :v:

I... uh... what?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's like the very first thing in the campaign. You have a dream about losing a toy as a child, and a plush frog is one of the options. Then you go and seek the toy on a quest.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I thought it could have been a reference to Something Awful's "get out" frog. :shobon:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Haha, no I didn’t know about that! I didn’t play through the finished campaign yet.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

Am I crazy or is the Star Kings campaign just completely terrible? In the first mission, I'm tasked with destroying an Assembly NPC that has their primary colony on an island completely surrounded by void. They can't seem to leave and I can't get to them. I'm supposed to do quests for three Oathbound colonies. One of the quests tells me to get three keys to unlock an obelisk, but I have no idea what that means or where to find them. One of them sent me to "Shroomwood Forest" to clear out some Mycelians, a no joke 7000 strength stack. I probably could make an army that could destroy them, but at this point I don't even know why I'm bothering.

I just played the first level and all of the quests have work arounds if you read the little objective thingy (except the obelisk one, not sure what that deal was). It's meant to be some role playing where you're a knight that needs to complete a series of quests to protect your kingdom. Like Arthur or whatever.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

I just played the first level and all of the quests have work arounds if you read the little objective thingy (except the obelisk one, not sure what that deal was). It's meant to be some role playing where you're a knight that needs to complete a series of quests to protect your kingdom. Like Arthur or whatever.

Yeah, I ended up finishing it. The obelisk one just has to be done last, which was sort of unclear. It all ends up feeling like something is bugged out until you get to the end and realize it was actually just awkwardly executed. I should've built three stacks of exemplars and wiped out the giant Mycelian horde manually, as preparing that force would've simplified the end of it, where the Assembly guy had built 15 stacks of scavengers on his island.

I did enjoy my stuff transferring over to mission 2, if only for the beginning of the scenario having a hilariously overpowered pair of heroes right off the bat.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I tried Shadow Magic and bounced off of it. Is Planetfall more of the same with sci-fi set dressing or is it mechanically different enough to be worth checking out?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
shadowmagic is a generation behind planetfall. planetfall is a mechanical iteration on age of wonders 3, which is a complete modernization and revamping of age of wonders 2, of which shadowmagic is a sequel. They're pretty different to the point that it's honestly an apples to oranges comparison

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lazyhound posted:

I tried Shadow Magic and bounced off of it. Is Planetfall more of the same with sci-fi set dressing or is it mechanically different enough to be worth checking out?
What impermanent said. If you give an idea of what you bounced off though we can tell you if it's something they moved away from or leaned into.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

litany of gulps posted:

Yeah, I ended up finishing it. The obelisk one just has to be done last, which was sort of unclear. It all ends up feeling like something is bugged out until you get to the end and realize it was actually just awkwardly executed. I should've built three stacks of exemplars and wiped out the giant Mycelian horde manually, as preparing that force would've simplified the end of it, where the Assembly guy had built 15 stacks of scavengers on his island.

I did enjoy my stuff transferring over to mission 2, if only for the beginning of the scenario having a hilariously overpowered pair of heroes right off the bat.

The campaign is kind of worth it for the very last mission. It's about as epic you can get in the sense that you still have a situation where you need to build everything up and take over sectors but the stakes are raised and there's interesting things happening. I think that mission and the Shakarn mission where you have to kill a group of three AI while also dealing with a never ending void spawns were both fairly memorable.

Everything else kind of seems grand but typically isn't much beyond carting your hero around the map and making friend/rushing people.

Empire mode is amazing though.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

I just wish I didn't have to replay the campaign in order get Paragon Elites in a new campaign. Tier 2 skirmishers with a solid-damage repeating ranged attack, overwatch, and a loving built-in stun on every shot are really, REALLY good. Way better than their army rating suggests.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There's an in game tip for if you start a new empire, just load up the last turn before you win in the campaign and it'll unlock when you win.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Now that the last DLC has been out for a while, how are people feeling about oathbound? The opinions that I've seen tend to fall on one of two hyperbolic positions: they're either complete trash or the best race in the game. Interested in where SA players are falling on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
The Oathbound tactical play style doesn’t strike a chord for me. Not saying it’s strong or not, good or not.

I spent so long getting over my habit of bunching up my lines into easily exploded clusters, especially with Kir’Ko. Now that my starting stack contains a hero and unit that have one or two abilities each that encourages me to pack my units tight the return of several bad habits gives me a mild aversion.