Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd vote strong.

The warlord vehicle is very powerful for early game heroes. Their tier 2 is lacking in long range attackers, but this doesn't hurt much in the early game. Long range attacks from unmodified units tend to be super inaccurate, and they can usually close distance pretty easily without taking much damage due to precognition.

Mid-game offers the paladin champion, which is fast and dangerous. It can be a little fragile early game, and it is tempting to be too aggressive with it, but it helps enable reckless melee rushes that can overwhelm ranged armies quickly.

In the late game, both the arc and entropy lines are really excellent. Wardens with arc extension and stun modules can do real work. Maxwell's puzzle box on your seers for long range AE nukes, positron storm mods on your champions and warlords can wipe out entire army groups instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I’m kinda necroing this thread, but I bought the game and all DLC for cheap in the paradox sale. Have y’all been playing any with the new DLC?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I got it too. Kirk'ko Xenoplague Frenzied with the grafted Xenoplague muscles seem cheap and good en masse.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Xenomuscles are a pretty dang good mod on basically any unit you can put them on yeah (I've even seen it recommended for trenchers, though I've never actually seen that plan work out)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Xenoplague is the most satisfying secret tech. It's just so much fun shoving weird stuff into people I swear to god I've tried to rephrase that sentence four times and just cannot make it not sound filthy

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ok assume that I loved and played the absolute poo poo out of AoW III and also same/posted for the thread, picked this up at launch and liked it a lot but didn't buy the season pass and then got distracted by other poo poo including parenthood, the plague, and a national uprising.

I skipped to a couple of pages back to catch up so I haven't seen recent posts but I wanted to ask right quick "is there a regular poster in this thread who can give me a reason why someone with that self-description and the itch to pick the game up again oughn't pick up the pass?"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You should do it, its fun. I haven't played this game lately, but I really enjoyed the final expansion with the Star Lords or whoever. Awesome faction, really satisfying playstyle, and a fun campaign. Steam says I have 186 hours on this game and I feel like I absolutely got my money's worth.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Splicer posted:

Xenoplague is the most satisfying secret tech.

But what if I like the Oathbound?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

LonsomeSon posted:

Ok assume that I loved and played the absolute poo poo out of AoW III and also same/posted for the thread, picked this up at launch and liked it a lot but didn't buy the season pass and then got distracted by other poo poo including parenthood, the plague, and a national uprising.

I skipped to a couple of pages back to catch up so I haven't seen recent posts but I wanted to ask right quick "is there a regular poster in this thread who can give me a reason why someone with that self-description and the itch to pick the game up again oughn't pick up the pass?"

How did you feel about the expansion races/class in AoW III, and the gameplay additions that came with them? Did they add to your experience? The Planetfall DLC is pretty much exactly the same but the new additions are a bit more involved and expansive.

The only reasons not to get the pass would be that you hate the base game or couldn't afford it; all it does is add to the game.

E: v Or that, that is a compelling reason.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 4, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LonsomeSon posted:

Yes! A very very good reason!

For the next two days you can buy the premium edition, which has the season pass plus a bunch of stuff, on sale for less than the season pass!

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/age-of-wonders-planetfall/PFPF01GSK0000001-MASTER.html

You don't get the "extra" copy of the base game but it's still a net savings of like 12 bux + some exclusive jpegs and a bonus planet type

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 4, 2021

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

LonsomeSon posted:

"is there a regular poster in this thread who can give me a reason why someone with that self-description and the itch to pick the game up again oughn't pick up the pass?"

It is pretty well integrated into the game, unlike some of the Endless Space DLCs.

The three DLCs introduce new factions, races, secret techs, but here are three other highlights

Revelations- Anomalous Sites are similar to the survey events in Stellaris, but more entertaining on account of reflecting upon things like your secret tech and race instead of having to be written for player-made races. In addition the slower pace of them (you’re not handling a dozen at a time and forgetting the details) means you have more time to enjoy the details and they don’t overstay their welcome.

Invasions- A void-bringer invasion is basically a Stellaris Crisis fleshed out with hands-on tactical combat. Only one type of crisis, but the units and mods enrich the experience.

Star Kings - I should be talking about both the Grail Configurations and Empire Mode, but for two details. I can’t recall if Empire mode is now in base game or not. And, there’s simply already so much content in the game I’ve never gotten around to doing the grail configurations.

For the factions and secret techs, the trailers cover it better than I can, though probably not as well as other posters.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Splicer posted:

Yes! A very very good reason!

For the next two days you can buy the premium edition, which has the season pass plus a bunch of stuff, on sale for less than the season pass!

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/age-of-wonders-planetfall/PFPF01GSK0000001-MASTER.html

You don't get the "extra" copy of the base game but it's still a net savings of like 12 bux + some exclusive jpegs and a bonus planet type

Super dope spot and suggestion, which I'm trying to take advantage of. Unfortunately the Paradox payment processor would like for me to verify my account via random and refunded small charge, which isn't showing up in my online banking. I've bought other poo poo through the site without issue, no idea what's going on.

And to answer the question about the previous game, I really felt like AoW III came to life and was completed by the expansions. In particular, the Halflings became the race I couldn't not play, those cheerful little fuckers were great.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

But what if I like the Oathbound?

Xenografted muscles can still be placed on battlesuits! Xeno oath is a really strong combo even if you aren't doing the aspirant rush deal with it (but also try rushing with xeno aspirants they're brutal in combat)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LonsomeSon posted:

Super dope spot and suggestion, which I'm trying to take advantage of. Unfortunately the Paradox payment processor would like for me to verify my account via random and refunded small charge, which isn't showing up in my online banking. I've bought other poo poo through the site without issue, no idea what's going on.
:derp: I feel responsible for this (I hope it gets sorted out)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This was probably assumed to be true but Triumph confirmed active dev is done for the game. Just fixes from here on out as they work on their next game.

https://twitter.com/TriumphStudios/status/1379514330966855682

THS
Sep 15, 2017

interested to see what they do next. probably aow4?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Whatever it is I'm probably on board for it. I wouldn't be surprised if their next game isn't aow related, but who knows (gerblyn probably)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hopefully something with actual goblins in it. The Planetfall races were cool and all, but none of them were proper gobs.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Last time I played this game was before the first DLC, but saw I owned all of the DLC in my library so I've been catching up and it's drat good.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hopefully something with actual goblins in it. The Planetfall races were cool and all, but none of them were proper gobs.

Goblins are cool too but I'm just glad someone officially granted my wish from the beforetimes:

metasynthetic posted:

someone please mod lizardmen (no not draconians) tia

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hope LonesomeSone got sorted :ohdear:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have apparently completely forgotten how to play this game and can't win my first planet in empire mode.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I had the same issue, it took me like 2 or 3 false starts on all easiest settings before things started to click again. I went back and read the thread from around release time, it helped even if there have been changes since then.

Just now I lured the enemy king out to sea by camping a cosmite node with a scout, then assassinated him with the max level Firearms spell that has a high strength instant death effect. I was hoping to swing this into a kill by getting my troops deep into his territory somehow fast enough to cinch it, but turns out my AI ally beat me to the punch. Instant kill for the 2nd most powerful AI, all because it got greedy over one scout on a node. Feels good. Killing him was part of an empire quest too, so I got a fat sack of XP for it to boot.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Splicer posted:

I hope LonesomeSone got sorted :ohdear:

The ultimate conclusion is that I've got the DLCs and I'm trying out the Minority Report Space Marines as I post. I deffo still appreciate your help, despite the frustration. Unless you own the company which does payment processing for Paradox, then I'm super not a fan of your brand.

So far "what if the Halfling Luck gimmick from AoW III but enormous fucken power armor dudes" is pretty fun. I'm definitely not comboing a bunch of poo poo like the Pioneer unlocks in order to to build a bigger snowball like I recall being able to do before, but I'll get there. I do recall liking Planetside for being a lot more explicit in descriptions about what categories various attacks and abilities fall into, in terms of bonuses applying than AoW III, where a lot of the tactical metagame came from having the interactions between info pane details of hundreds of units memorized.

Maybe I'll ever feel good enough at this to try to play against someone (unlikely, I came close to but ultimately waved off {e: during the big AoW III thread tournament)}

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 7, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Game's done huh? I was hoping for a bit more but at the very least this means modders probably will go whole hog now, which I'm excited for considering the stuff that's out for AoW3.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd have liked another nonhuman race but I'm laughing at the official forums with their "No more DLC? Game's dead". I played age of wonders 2/shadow magic off and on basically until 3 came out you weirdo youths *decays into dust and blows away*

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 7, 2021

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
That's ridiculous. This game was better at release than Stellaris has ever been, and I say that as someone who likes Stellaris as much as a reasonable person can. Stellaris' total life from release to last DLC is going to beat this by at least 5 years, and it's never going to be better.

It's got less breadth of content than 3 for sure, but what's present is lean and quality.

Really, my biggest complaint is that the map, visually is still just as poo poo as it was at release. Someone, anyone, release a mod that lets me turn off the billion icons I don't care about on the military map and make the map not look like reading a book in the dark

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I wouldn't say that Planetfall has less breadth of content than AOW3. I'm pretty confident it has more, it's just packaged differently. The number of factions/STs is lower, but the variety within each of them is a lot higher. Amazons and Dvar are much more different than Elves and Dwarves were, for instance. You also have way more viable build options. In AOW3 you generally had one real build for each race/class combination, which could be tweaked slightly with specialization picks. Planetfall, on the other hand, has multiple viable builds just within a faction by itself, without even considering the secret tech. AOW3 had many filler racial units that nobody built unless it was an emergency (hello, T1 melee!), whereas it's actually hard to come up with units in Planetfall that don't have a reasonable strategy focused around them.

Planetfall also does a much better job of making it's options actually balanced choices. AOW3 got better about it over time but it still has a lot of unused units, bad spells, and trap tech choices. Balance-wise, Planetfall basically started where AOW3 ended while still going through the same amount of improvement over the dev cycle.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

orangelex44 posted:

I wouldn't say that Planetfall has less breadth of content than AOW3. I'm pretty confident it has more, it's just packaged differently. The number of factions/STs is lower, but the variety within each of them is a lot higher. Amazons and Dvar are much more different than Elves and Dwarves were, for instance. You also have way more viable build options. In AOW3 you generally had one real build for each race/class combination, which could be tweaked slightly with specialization picks. Planetfall, on the other hand, has multiple viable builds just within a faction by itself, without even considering the secret tech. AOW3 had many filler racial units that nobody built unless it was an emergency (hello, T1 melee!), whereas it's actually hard to come up with units in Planetfall that don't have a reasonable strategy focused around them.

Planetfall also does a much better job of making it's options actually balanced choices. AOW3 got better about it over time but it still has a lot of unused units, bad spells, and trap tech choices. Balance-wise, Planetfall basically started where AOW3 ended while still going through the same amount of improvement over the dev cycle.
From a "flipping through the character creation screen" fluff point of view Planetfall definitely seems less varied. Humans, capitalist humans, humans with dinosaurs, humans with cybernetic implants, short humans in mechsuits, regular humans in big mechsuits, bugs, and lizards reads as very samey, and the pre-game presentations of the secret techs really do not give you a good idea of what they actually do.

Once you actually start playing though mechanically there's at least as much mechanical variation between races as in the previous AoW games, and while I obviously have a lot of nostalgia for the AoW spellbook the Planetfall interlocking tree setup, the actual techs, and the whole mod system makes a much bigger actual variation in playthroughs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I think planetfall would've benefitted a lot first impressions wise if the syndicate were weird mindslaver aliens and dvar were little rock gremlins under their suits or something.

Ideally aliens like the kirko would've represented multiple "races" the same way humans do. I understand why they would've gone with a majority human races but a few more aliens would've been nice

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah, even if they want to firmly keep it as a human dominated galaxy there's a couple of ways they could have gone. Kirko with queens and Kirko without queens as two distinct races could have worked, and some kind of playable robots or genejacks would have rounded things out nicely.

e: replacing the picture below the secret techs with maybe a little roster of signature units or something would do a lot to make them more exciting to pick from.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 8, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Their info post indicates either most people played the demo and then quit, or stuck with the most vanilla faction of all over time

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Idk if it would've been a good move for the game business wise but I'd love it if vanguard had more goofy poo poo like the assault bike

I think most people like playing the blandest option possible though. That's hardly a surprising metric

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The two races are the first two campaign races. I would like to see what the non campaign stats are. Though I'm sure Vanguard would still be number 1. I doubt Kirko would be at 2 though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oh I don't think it's bad, just funny - see larians "main character appearance" result in bg3

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/2896336186738209915

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The majority of players will always pick a human soldier/fighter regardless of options, because the average player is a boring-rear end dude. Leave in the option, sure, but that's no reason to dull down all the other options! I doubt the DVAR would have worse player stats if they were little gremlin dudes, because the boring people would pick vanguard regardless.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The majority of players will always pick a human soldier/fighter regardless of options, because the average player is a boring-rear end dude. Leave in the option, sure, but that's no reason to dull down all the other options! I doubt the DVAR would have worse player stats if they were little gremlin dudes, because the boring people would pick vanguard regardless.
Yeah the Vangaurd are an excellent default race, playwise and fluffwise. It's just pairing them with four to five other explicitly human-but-x races that makes things seem samey.

Oddly enough if there was no Kirko I think it would be less obvious. Having just one bug faction (and then a lizard faction) makes the five/six human variants look weirder than if it was just a game of five/six factions who all happen to be human.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like to think assembly make a pretty good case for "really really far out offshoot of humans." The combo zombie/Borg deal gives them a lot of non-human visual elements, especially the further up in tier you go.

I think of the human factions, syndicate is probably the one most easily replaceable by aliens, they definitely come off as the most "humans but in different clothes." Maybe they could be a hybrid "race" with human slaves and alien overseers or something

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Amazons could probably have leaned into "weird offshoot" really easily too. Just... remove the humans, make them nothing but the uplifted and/or genetically altered beings created by the Amazons. For their racial units it's already closer than you might think; once you remove the riders from Lancers, Harriers and Tyrannodons all that's left for humanoid units are the Huntress and Biomancer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know my amazon armies are mostly just walking rows of trees flanked by dinosaurs that gracefully let some humans have a seat with a view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjewtsu posted:

I like to think assembly make a pretty good case for "really really far out offshoot of humans." The combo zombie/Borg deal gives them a lot of non-human visual elements, especially the further up in tier you go.
They more we talk about it the more that yeah I think the syndicate are the issue. The vanguard are pretty cool as default humans go. Confused foreign legion squads popping out of space holes and trying to restore the federation is a good backstory, while their actual units are 75% drones and cool vehicles. Even their boring grunt units aren't that boring with their overwatch and grenades. You want to play Geordie "Dylan Hunt" Solo on a motorbike with a pet robot backed up by some dudes that are the most distilled expression of your secret tech? Play Vanguard.

If you then immediately pile into The Borg, Industrialist MechaDwarves, Dinosaur Hippies, and Bugs, that's a great roster. But if you instead go straight from Humans to Differently Flavoured Humans you're now primed to see the other non-bugs as Yet More Humans.

ninjewtsu posted:

I think of the human factions, syndicate is probably the one most easily replaceable by aliens, they definitely come off as the most "humans but in different clothes." Maybe they could be a hybrid "race" with human slaves and alien overseers or something
I mean that's basically the shakarn who are great.