Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If they have as much unit and city variety as AoW 3, I'd be a very happy dude. Seems to be all humans this time though, which is kind of a bummer. I'd have liked to see Elves and Frostlings and Tigrans IN SPAAAACE!

EDIT: You know, with mention of the Star Union, who's to say we might not see some Battletech cameos? :)

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Giant robots are for stomping giant bugs :colbert: Unless the bugs are bros.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Noir89 posted:

I am usually all elf all the time but there just is something adorable about the AoW gobbos that makes me love them unconditionally while sending them to their inevitable deaths. :3:

I still can't help but play all Human all the time. I'd readily accept heroes and recruits of other races, but their ruler's got to be Human.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So when can we have more detail on the factions themselves? I'd like to know about the Dvar, at least- are they just Space Dorfs™, or something more alien? Don't get me wrong, I'm looking to play them Day 1 because Explosives and Kinetic weaponry make me :flashfap:, but that just makes me want to know more about them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Age of Wonders Battle Royale Mode confirmed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I on the other hand, love playing as humans (because 40K has a grip on my soul which refuses to loosen up), and the Space Yanks look way cool, but I'll wait for the Amazons at least before I make a proper decision.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Judging by the name 'the Syndicate', I'm guessing something like a Space Mafia or the Darloks from Master of Orion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So it's confirmed that the Dvar are not aliens, but just humans living under harsh conditions? That's great!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The Kir’ko have been explicitly stated to be the only alien faction. All the other factions are humans that diverged after whatever calamity befell them.

Nice :commissar: It's me, I'm the guy who always plays humans.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

uber_stoat posted:

bah gawd is that...?!

They certainly seem that way, what with their *special* way of *speaking*, though they also seem a lot more benevolent than the Orz are.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Serious question: I can definitely see why developing for other platforms might not be worth the stress to a developer, but the customer? I'd definitely like it if I could play more games on my tablet.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So the starting campaigns looks like Space Humans, Bugs and Soviet Dwarves? I was kind of hoping for an Amazon game, but oh well. Nice to see we can customize our commander, though- that's really cool!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Reharakhti posted:

You unlock the other 3 races campaigns later on if I'm reading it correctly

Oh yeah, you're right- I must have missed that bit. That's fine then- I'll just play as the Dorfs first anyway, then the Amazons.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just lol if your first race isn't going to be the Dvar.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, the Assembly- resistance doesn't seem viable against them, does it? What are their two primary damage types again?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ahahaha, the Assembly's intelligence sources are I.N.I.O.C.H., that's awesome! :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just want to say that the Dvar are my comrades and my sons and if anything happens to my stubby little comrades I will destroy anything and everything their killers hold dear. Thank you for coming to my TED talk, and I'd like a medium 6-piece McNugget meal and a chocolate sundae, thanks.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Update: Soviet Dwarves are teaching robots how to love game is 10/10

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Celestian for maximum Paladin build, maybe? I certainly want to try Assembly with that secret tech, really be the Friendly Neighbourhood Necromancer™.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can anyone spoil me on the first Vanguard mission? I want to know if Dayu always ends up the same way, or if you get a different outcome if you take the Molten Earth Arsenal quick enough.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gerblyn posted:

she does

...does, what? Always end up the same way? I don't really mind, since her nephew's much cooler, but she did take a lot of cool gear with her.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

toasterwarrior posted:

4) Dvar Bulwarks are love, Dvar Bulwarks are life. These are the real damage dealers in early game, with their repeater cannons and full overwatch on blue move. Load them up with mods, protect them well, and watch them clean house.

Holy poo poo, this. Bulwarks are soooo good, like gently caress, drat. It gets even better if you've got Paragon and Automat friends- the first gives you Smart Rounds that ignore all cover and range accuracy penalties, while the other gives you a self-repair unit. At that point, all you need to win a battle is to just find a good vantage point, go into overwatch, and blast this at full volume while you drink all the space vodka.

EDIT: Tracksuit costume and squat pose for the Dvar when, Gerblyn?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, uh, is it easy/hard to mod the game? I want to give Vanguard Walkers 32 move.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arrrthritis posted:

Question about Vanguard Mission 2 (Potential bug?)

Did Daiyu Jiang appear as an opposed commander for anyone else on this mission? None of the characters acknowledged that she died and came back to life, so I assume that I got a random commander and... it just happened to be the one who died last mission?

Huh, I got several dialogues about why that happened- did you do the robot dog's quest? Maybe that's the trigger for the 'proper' reveal.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Bulwarks with Autonom self-repair devices are very cost-effective units, even moreso if you put a Dvar hero in one.

Arrrthritis posted:

Huh, that quest auto-completed for me

Maybe it's a bug- I don't see why one would interfere with the other. But yeah, that robodog's quest is what you're looking to do first if you want to know what's up.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 8, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fuligin posted:

so i touched the tutorial for like two minutes and then nuh-uhhed right out of there (jack gelder ffs). Are the campaigns worth playing or is this more of a Civ-ish play-a-random-scenario kind of game?

I'm finding the campaigns fun, but that might just be me. You can customize your campaign commanders' looks, if Jack's sheer genericness is what's grating on you, but you can't change their starting race or secret tech.

EDIT: Since we're on the subject, is there a recommended order to play the campaigns?

Zore posted:

Yeah that and the extra colonist for the immediate sector annexation.

I generally prefer the colonist myself; having that extra sector up and running quick is great.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh my God the guy who does the narration for the Psynumbra techs has a delicious voice :syoon: That guy can read the phonebook and seduce/kill someone.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do you change the campaign heroes' gender? I don't see the button.

But yeah, most of the VA is damned good, especially the Psynumbra and Xenoplague tech voices.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

toasterwarrior posted:

This might be hubris, especially considering that the rankings say I'm dead last, but I haven't encountered anything so far in the second campaign mission as Vanguard on Advanced difficulty that 4 modded Troopers, a PUG, and an APC Hero couldn't beat without losing a single man. Some battles were tight, sure, but sheer firepower keeps winning the day.

Yeah, modded T1 and 2 units are so good, that in terms of cost efficiency they often outdo many higher-tier units. It's cool and awesome and more games should follow Planetfall's example.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Re: the campaign, are the Dvar and Vanguard the only races that switch specializations halfway through?

EDIT: I know it's a stupid reason, but I want to bring the Syndicate PC into the endgame, but good goddamn is their lack of good healing (the dude's Syndicate/Assembly) a pain in the posterior.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 10, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cynic Jester posted:

You can switch the Syndicate from Assembly to Evilpsionics if you team up with the rockstar and do their quest near the end of the first mission.

Gotcha. Hopefully I still have a save from then I can use.

EDIT: Nope, doesn't seem to have worked :(

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 10, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I'm finding sniper-type weapons to be a major letdown, since they take up a whole turn just to shoot, and enemies are great at using cover so you're not really accurate even then.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yo putting Aura of Reckoning on Kir'ko Transcendents to support Lightbringers is the funniest poo poo in the world.

Absorb Pain on your melee firebenders, all damage is reduced by 35% and then reflected back at you.

Holy poo poo, that sounds amazing :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my dad posted:

Spoilers

Yeah, I'm playing that mission now, and it's really hilarious since I pretty much said gently caress YOU to both the Psycho Empress and Robot Satan with each of my dudes. I do wonder what the 'defaults' for each side is, though, or if it's all random.

EDIT: That said, I might have made things a little hard on myself by playing the Syndicate dude, since he apparently starts with no other heroes besides himself, while every other dude gets two other guys. Hell, the Assembly guy gets to keep the rando scientist they find/kidnap in the first mission.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 12, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
'Anti-air' doesn't mean they can't attack ground units, just that they do more damage against aerial units, if that's what you meant.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arrrthritis posted:

Arc/Bio is just sitting there, waiting to be used, too.

Zore posted:

Do a faction with a lot of low tier robots and high tier biological units since they have a bunch of the inverse already. Every one of them is a unique bio-engineered marvel who is supported by a legion of support bots.

Triskelli posted:

Call’em Hogglins and give them the Halfling gimmick of managing morale and you’ve got something there.

I'm kind of thinking these guys might have a Pinocchio vibe- low-tier units are just kitbashed not-Lego men and mass-produced dollar store rubbish using Arc attacks, while the higher tier stuff are toys in biological bodies using Bio weaponry.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

deep dish peat moss posted:

It looks like the "Sector Features" and "Misc" sections of the World tab when customizing a scenario don't actually do anything, no matter what I set I'm just getting the default world type of the 4 you choose from before customizing.

Oh man, and here I thought I was imagining things. I'd like maps with more higher-level dungeons, darn it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think Cynic jester was making a dick joke there.

Also, re: the Amazon campaign, is there a way to tell both CORE and the Empress to go gently caress themselves? I thought I was along the freedom path, but apparently my character sided with CORE, which kind of spoiled the whole alliance thing in the final mission. Sure, I could tell them both to sod off if I played the Amazons themselves (and I did), but I wanted to play my Syndicate dude.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do armor and shields work? I heard there were diminishing returns for both the higher they go- is that so? And if so, what is the 'optimal' setting for either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Huh, that isn't as bad as I was thinking it was. Looks like trying to find some arid mountains for a military production city might just be worth it.