Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

jng2058 posted:

So the base game is $50, you can get the Premium Edition for 10% off on Steam right now for $81...but I'm not sure if that'll work, since the links on Steam and through Twitter all go to a version of the Steam page that's full price at $90.

So if it does work you're saving $24, if it doesn't work you're still saving $15 on the Season Pass, plus all the cosmetics and the one infested planet and the junk most people never use (soundtrack, artbook, forum stuff, etc). Not unreasonable, unless you're patient enough to wait until poo poo's on sale and prefer buying each component on a discount.

I was able to get it for $81 from Steam. I think I can count the full price game purchases I've made on one hand but I really want to support these devs.

Also lol at the comments on the DLC plan announcement where a guy complains the campaign must be incomplete if they're going to release new missions as DLC. I 100% guarantee he would also be complaining if the DLC had no campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah the AoW3 AI uses cavalry as shock troops, charge in fast and hit the squishy guy hard even if that means you're now surrounded by 5 pikemen. Or if they don't have a squishy guy then maybe we'll just charge directly at their pikes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Heroes 5 and later did it in a beautiful manner: if you have "Quick Combat" option on then any attack triggers quick combat and you see "Calculating..." screen which can take a while for big combat. Eventually, you're shown results. But at any moment you can click "Manual" button. A similar model might add a lot of convenience for SP but I understand it will require a lot of UI and probably logic changes.

HoMM 7 straight up lets you redo a manual battle (not sure if it also applies to auto) as many times as you like until you get a result you're satisfied with. On your victory screen there's button that lets you redo the fight. I think in a game where early game losses matter a lot it's a really helpful feature for single player.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I feel like I'm familiar with just about all of the AoW3 mechanics and just playing the tutorial to this was like drinking from a waterhose. Tons of new stuff to learn! Whatever reviewer said this is just a reskinned AoW in space is crazy.

I can't decide if I like the space setting or fantasy one more yet, I think it's taking some getting used to. The combat in particular I feel like I don't understand as well. In AoW3 you generally try to creep up to the enemy slowly while trying to stay out of their movement range. You try and poke with your ranged units until they're forced to come in and engage you while your units are in a favorable defensive position. What's the general strategy for Planetfall? I've been basically going toward the enemy in small steps and overwatching behind cover while just outside of their range, allowing me to get some overwatch shots in before they engage. Is that the way to go? Or is it better to just run up and try to get your first shots in?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you mean cosmetic or the abilities you learn on level up? I've only played the tutorial so far and I found the commander/hero skills to be extremely bland.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I kind of assumed the vehicle would be back after the fight ends. Is it gone permanently?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

These jellyfish want me to do poo poo for them all the drat time and are totally rude about demanding more energy and I’m like binch I already got all your enclosures, all your land, the biggest army on the planet, stop pushing me around!

What happens if you decline their quests? Do they get pissed off at you eventually? And is there anything beyond the immediate rewards if you keep doing quests for them? Like can they ever become a vassal or come under your direct control like in AoW3? I've only had time to do the two tutorial missions so far so I'm still figuring out the mechanics.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think someone brought that up earlier and there's a way to do it. I don't remember how though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
More 4X than all the previous AoW games but still definitely an AoW game. You're only gonna win by running around and murdering people.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The combat is definitely different. It feels a lot more like X-Com as people have mentioned. It took me a couple hours to get used to it but I'm enjoying it. It definitely does not feel the same as all the previous AoW games though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hey Gerblyn, I just wanted to say this has been the only game I've purchased full price with the season pass because you guys do awesome work and are clearly really passionate about making your game great and listening to fans. Look forward to supporting you guys on your future stuff.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So you can't exploit your starting sector right? So it would be better to choose one that has the least exploit benefits so that you can annex and exploit the ones that have more benefits? That seems a little counter-intuitive.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It gives shotguns a "buff". Which I think is warranted. The single action hero weapons feel a bit weak to me vs the multi attack ones.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Whoever's working on https://minionsart.github.io/aowp/Pages/Units/AmazonUnits.html has updated it with all the mods.

You're doing God's work buddy.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Reharakhti posted:

Glad you like it, I just got around to finishing it :)

I really appreciate it! It's a lot harder to figure out good combos to shoot for from the tech tree.

Also just curious, you pull all the text directly from the game files right? I saw quite a few typos but I assume they're just what the dev's have in game.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
When a mod says 50% of damage is reflected back to the attacker, does that mean you take 50% less damage as well?

E.g., you are attacked for 10 and instead you take 5 and your attack takes 5. Or is it you take 10 damage attacker takes 5?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I noticed that it's one of the very last mods in the Assembly tech tree and on paper it seems kind of weak? I don't know, maybe it's strong in practice but I feel like you want to be increasing the damage you deal directly or decreasing the damage you take with your mods.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Right but they get to choose who takes that damage and when so it needs to be a larger number than what a mod provides normally. Looking at other weapon mods, +10% hit +10% crit + 20% damage Paragon mod probably increases your damage by a similar amount but comes much earlier.

e: This was in response to describing it as a 50% increase in (enemy's) damage done.

Also the latest patch caps reflect at 75%.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 5, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Bug report: AI was unable to defeat a colonizer with a Prospector in auto combat. Just retreated and dealt no damage.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean I reloaded and played it out manually and the colonizer just ran away while I shot it once a turn until it died. I don't believe all of them have weapons.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
When customizing a game, what's the difference between normal speed (0% increase to research and food costs) and fast (normal research and food costs) ?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How do you put down roads? Is that just an empire upgrade from research? Or can you actually place them and have them go where you want?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Possible bug?

Used Phase Manipulator to Evac a unit with 5 hp. The evac area was on fire so the unit died from the fire damage before the heal went off.

Also that guy probably things I'm a huge rear end in a top hat for evacuating him into a fire.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 30, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Warlords have a really strong economy too. You just brute force a ton of above average units and steam roll people. Elf Warlords are really strong with their mounted archers and orcs also another obvious choice. Humans are perfectly fine too though, knights are really good as you've mentioned.

e: In terms of the combat, you're right it's pretty different from Planetfall. There's not a lot of stagger type abilities so staying in defend is king. Often you want to just run melee units up to others without attacking since they're defending and you don't want to be open to flanking attacks on their turn.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 5, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Really strong summons that give you above average units early. And befriending animals to snowball.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The Amazon ones fly so they have a much easier time zeroing in on that one caster nerd that needs a swirly. No extra damage though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
All these changes are great. Can't even count the number of times I reloaded because a 2500 vs 1500 fight resulted in multiple losses of prime ranked units.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Straight up halving naval unit costs owns, setting up naval infrastructure is consistently the worst part of any game with an ocean aspect.

Do you really even need naval stuff? It seems like you can probably get by with just regular units unless you're trying to use Trenchers or something that can't really function on water.

Also water exploitation just give a ton of resources right? At the cost of not providing a secondary benefit besides a butt load of food/energy/research.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not sure how new damage channels are going to work if they get added post release. Nobody's going to have any resistances or synergies, unless they go through all existing units and factions and add resistances to the new channels (where appropriate) every time they add one. One of the coolest things about the game is how the damage types, races and secret techs work together and just going "entropy, Heritor yes/no" with no counterplay or build options sounds like it'd be pretty awful.

They did say there's 7 pages of balance changes. I'm pretty sure they'll do the full review and add in needed resistances and such. I think Triumph's track record on this kind of stuff is really good.

Also I'm dying to check out those changes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So the patchnotes say the Syndicate Pstyec Drive Modulator was nerfed from 15 to 10 in the balance section. Then in the bug fix section it says the tooltip was fixed from saying 10 to 15 and that it has always healed for 15.

I'm going to assume 10 is going to be the final, correct number because 15 was OP as heck on a T4 unit.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This thing comes out tomorrow right?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Everything definitely is a lot busier. I think part of it is just maps are more complex but there's also just trying to add more details to the environments and units. But since everything is generally zoomed out stuff looks kind of tiny and hard to see. A lot of MOBA's and RTS's have a cartoony style with over exaggerated features and bright colors to help with this issue but I don't think there's an easy fix.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Isn't city founding a core part of AoW3 as well? I feel like that's just a core part of the game unless you're talking about AoW1 or something.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Taear posted:

It's too combat focused and the lore of the first three games is what kept me liking them.
There's so many boring techs as well, I've never played a 4x before where I'm just kinda clicking them whatever and not paying attention.

For me I like to have a story in my head of what's going on and I just don't feel like it's like that in Planetfall, it's just random war all the time.

Honestly it sounds like the entire AoW series isn't for you. I'm surprised you even liked the first 3. None of the games have had any emphasis on tech, with 4 having the most interesting and detailed tech research so far. The games also have always been about combat, they aren't 4X games. In AoW1 your towns literally only produce gold and combat units. There are no economic structures to build or anything. Entire point of the game is to build armies and smash them into each other.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
They start to get going by level 6+ and become murder machines in the campaign. But you really need to deck them out with the right mods. They are definitely weaker than in AoW3 and that's probably for the best for balance reasons. The skills you can learn on level up are more boring too imo.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've only ever picked food or production, mainly based on what's available nearby. So if none of the districts nearby are good at producing food I'll have my central thing be a food producer or vice versa.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is the new race going to be space goblins? I would like to play as space goblins please.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Anyway you guys could copy the info into this thread? Twitter link doesn't work for me. And their official site is blocked at work.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks a bunch! And as other people have pointed out already, Triumph is great. I have 0 regrets about pre-purchasing the game + season pass. They're maybe the only company I'm willing to do that for at this point. Blizzard was on that list ... but now they're basically a trashfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You know what I just realized. This isn't even the paid expansion. This is a free content patch for everyone.