Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I tend to refuse to play whatever the "human" faction is in sci-fi/fantasy games on principle, but I gotta admit, the Star War Americans have a certain kind of panache they tend to lack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, we've already been told that there's a junker space goblin faction and a psychic bug faction so it's not like I'm gonna spend much time as the Vanguard. I'm just saying the humans look nice, is all.

All we know of the Syndicate is that they're psionic and that one concept art, yeah? They've got a bit of a space monk vibe.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I definitely am gonna be playing Kir'ko and Assembly based on their aesthetic. Maybe Syndicate, if they're more space culty/jedi, rather than space elfy.

So colonies are cities, and Sectors are like the ones in Endless Legend but more granular, and but there might be a way to reshape them slightly. What is the equivalent of Empires called, again?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of the blog posts implied there'd be a campaign for each faction. I'm assuming it'll be done in the style of the older games where you only get around three maps per faction, but we might get either a massively huge campaign or go in a new direction. I think the campaign has yet to be ironed out.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think it'll be that different from the AoW3 system, where you can score a Peace treaty fairly easy if the AI isn't currently setting up to attack you, and an Alliance is basically a guarantee they won't ever attack you. Defensive Pacts sound like they'll work like AoW3 Alliances right up till the point where every non-Ally attacks you for getting too close to victory.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My personal favorite is "high morale aura" along with the note that Marauders will often show up together with hostile faction units.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hopefully there's still some way to recruit Marauder-only units, even with the Charm nerfs. I will definitely strive to have an honor guard of Roys laying down their lives for my leader at all times.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
As I recall, all site guardians were available in AoW3 through either inns, dwellings, class spells or secret spells, so odds are good!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still waiting for the scoop on the Assembly, because that is the faction Gerblyn suggested for goblin fans, but Ushanka Space Dwarfs is also a very compelling choice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Now that is what Space Dwarfs should look like.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CommissarMega posted:

So it's confirmed that the Dvar are not aliens, but just humans living under harsh conditions? That's great!

The Kir’ko have been explicitly stated to be the only alien faction. All the other factions are humans that diverged after whatever calamity befell them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm guessing it's the latter, but they look like that engineer dude from Star Craft 2. Incredibly broad shoulder on a normal height human, giving them that dwarfy frame.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Laser T-rexes and what looked like a Dire Penguin beacon. I'm pretty sure these are the best elfs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There was also a biology-themed one mentioned in some of the earliest updates, which mostly gave you upgrades to biological units while using poison and disease offensively. Xenoplague or something.

ninjewtsu posted:

Wanna figure out the most ill-fitting faction/secret tech combo (flavor wise) to play my first random map as

Promethean amazons already sounds pretty cross-purposes.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 11, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The AoW games have always had extremely solid ambient music, and that teaser sounds exactly like my kind of poo poo. I hope he goes all out on the experimenting. I'm partial to Lunar Labour and March of the Machines, personally.

Speaking of, what's you guys' favorite of Michiel van den Bos' work in the previous games? The Frozen Summit may be my favorite piece of ambient music from any game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjHapLTkKs

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Assembly and Syndicate clearly get the coolest vehicles. Show off the factions already!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's odd how the Chrysalis is human-shaped when the rest of the faction is clearly jellyfish-inspi- oh nevermind, I just got it. :stare:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Noir89 posted:

Gonna be honest, this game looks great and I will get it day one and probably enjoy it a lot, but I am a bit sad we got spacedwarfs and not spacegobbos :(. Gonna miss those adorable little gits.

The space orcs/goblins is one of the factions that have yet to be spotlighted. They won't be gobliney so much as junkyard cyborgy, but Triump's goblin enthusiast dev says they're pretty cool.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's obviously going to be Assembly that's the best race.

Where's the Assembly preview, Gerblyn? :argh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Good! I’m glad.

You guys have fun with your factions that don’t let their heroes graft their heads onto giant killdozers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

I'm swear Gerblyn told us this really early in the thread!

He told us they were basically the goblins of Planetfall, presumably at some point before they had hit the degree of post-humanism they did at this point.

It's okay, Gerbs, they're still the best faction! :shobon:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
People have posted a fair bit about how good the combat in AoW is, but it’s also important to note that the AI is also really good at it.. Sometimes I like to make wacky stacks and throw them at dangerous sites or enemy cities just to see how it handles them and it sometimes comes up with crazy strategies.

My favorite was watching it clear a Dungeon with a stack of musketmen with zero casualties by having a couple musketmen run up at enemies to melee them and eat up their action points so their buddies could shoot and reload with impunity, and pulling back the injured so they could shoot from safety while their buddies would tag into melee.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Here’s a random smattering of impressions from 50 turns of a skirmish map as a Psynumbra Assembly leader:

-Tech progression feels really good. One thing I never dug about AoW3 is how fast most racial units would grow obsolete
-Ditto mods. I got a pretty boss one from my jellyfish buddies which when coupled with psynumbra mods cause all my psionic attacks to have a chance of dropping like five debuffs per attack. Gives me those sweet goblin/necromancer vibes. I wonder if there’s a mod somewhere that gives psionic bullets...
-I started on my own continent with no other residents but some psi-fish and a single Kir’ko colony that joined me willingly but which I haven’t really used for anything. Which I should, they have psionic units, right?
-The psi-fish are precious lovecraftian angels and my friends and I’m not sure how anyone could ever want to hurt them.
-I figured I could be a non-evil psynumbra leader but all the research quotes and flavor text makes it clear that they’re tapping into some kind of horror dimension fueled by suffering and pain. Whoopsie. I’m currently building my first Spire of Suffering which apparently lets me channel misery straight into enemy cities and eventually unlock whatever the Psynumbra doomsday victory is. Coolio.
-The combat is very different and I think it’ll take me a while to get the hang of it. My main beef so far is that the AI is way too determined to kill Reverse Engineers. :argh:
-I haven’t had much truck with the diplomacy. It took me forever to find any other factions, and so far I’ve found three, all of whom are Syndicate and all of whom hate me for having the Covert Ops background. I dunno if that option is just diplomatic suicide of if it’s bad luck. One of them declared war on me and now the others hate me even more for being at war with the Syndicate.
-I also found a Dvar player but didn’t make contact because I was scouting with the invisible Psynumbra ghost thingy and it only counts if your units see each other, and I could only let it be seen by trespassing. Maybe they would be nicer to me.
-Enemies having mods is also fun. I got attacked by some acid spitting beetles which exploded upon death, and surprised me by getting up the next turn, spitting some more acid and then exploding again. Turns out that’s a mod they have!
-One of the Syndicate assholes rung me up to mock me for being on the bottom of the scoreboard. This lead me to find the scoreboard and learn that my economy was worse than any of the AI players’. Turns out that the defensive buildings (which are also fantastic) will eat up a lot of your energy income and you shouldn’t just build them in every city.
-Maybe it’s just from starting on a massive uncontested landmass with mountains all over the middle part, but I wish there were more ways to manipulate the overworld. It seems like roads are built automatically in claimed sectors, but it still takes forever to haul rear end across the sectors I’m waiting to claim until the colony grows bigger. Should I build more forward bases?
-This is a beef I have with basically every 4X game but I’m bummed that your growth isn’t really reflected on the map. You’ve just got colonies and bases plopped into sectors with raw wilderness inbetween. Where’s the urban sprawl? I liked how AoW3 sprinkled houses across your domain and changed the battle map for plains to have fences and farmhouses if it was in range of a city.

E: Also apparently I can’t claim inhospitable regions which really fucks with my ultimate goal of having the prettiest borders.

In summary, game good, get game if you haven’t.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 7, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wrapped up my first random map last night while trying to overcome a bout of insomnia. Won the Psynumbra doomsday victory with the Assembly. The three Syndicate AI declared war on me as soon as I kicked it off, while the other AI immediately offered me an alliance pact and piggybacked onto my triumph. It ended up going a bit too smoothly, since I’d conquered a colony from my nearest neighbor and retreated my main army to my original border and left him to deal with a smaller garrison as well as opening a couple portals to the pain dimension around his capital and calling in some jellyfish guerilla strikes. His army didn’t show up on my border until the turn I was due to win and never reached my heavily guarded colony center.

The only action I saw was in my one frontier colony, which I lost to another neighbor when the Spacers decided to send a massive attack force to harass me and stumbled upon the stack I was using to harass embarked units.

There were several tier 3 and 4 units I never got to see in action because I spent all my cosmite on modding up my lower-tier unite and the ones I’d built were guarding the colony that was one or two turns from getting attacked. I definitely underestimated how powerful the raider Operation was. :(

Low-tier units with endgame mods are pretty dang useful, but it’s balanced out by those mods costing cosmite and thus restricting your production of high tier units. I like it a lot. I snagged a sector that let me produce the sexbot units and I ended up having a pretty nasty immortal Jenny who made my snipers get constant crits and could punch dead anyone who tried to mess with them.

The main thing I failed to figure out is keeping heavy units alive against focus fire. I plugged a bunch of heroes into Wreckers and they’d murder anything in 6v6 fights, but whenever there was a multi stack battle I’d lose at least one to every ranged enemy shooting them every chance they had. I think I ended up spending half my endgame cosmite just replacing vehicles for heroes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kanos posted:

They're primarily world generation slider presets, basically. Imperial is balanced everything, Frontier has few/no unique sites/teleporters and is biased towards more "wild" terrain types(because it's a frontier world without fancy star union tech), Capital has a ton of unique sites/teleporters/etc(because it's a core world with a lot of old tech to recover), etc.

If you go into Advanced Settings you can see exactly what they do.

Which reminds me, it'd be real nice if there was a way to save preset settings. It's kind of a pain to set up every slider exactly how you want it and then finding out you forgot to set Simultaneous turns or are starting next to Spacers and have to start over. The Spacers have been on every map I've played and I haven't even seen a Growth dwelling yet. :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Speedball posted:

Staggering to interrupt overwatch makes it a lot more interesting than even this game's direct predecessor. Also the faction I'm currently using, the Dvar, don't have overwatch guns anyway unlike the Vanguard so it required different tactical thinking--which I like. (also I found a mod for them that makes trencher's trenches heal them, for double the tankiness)

Couple of hot tips: Bulwark get Overwatch and real good guns to go with it, and fortified trenches heal any unit using them. They're a really good combo to force the enemy to engage, because you'll win any potshot battle due to the infinite healing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I gotta go with AoW3 personally, still. Mainly because it has six factions that aren't human/elf/dwarf whereas Planetfall has only three. Plus it has a greater variety of structures and loot, which I personally enjoy more than the straight up war game. Planetfall def has a better war game already and I love that the AI will happily engage your landmark structures and get their stacks eaten by your garrison and the landmark's defense system.

I do want to give the Dvar and Amazon a fair shake, though. I love the idea of the Dvar's terraforming techs, putting up and pulling down mountain ranges wherever, and I just noticed that their T4 gets a souped up version of the prospector ability that murders a sector, turning it barren and volcanic and gives you loot in return, but I'm having a hard time getting past the early game of murdering everything with stacks of trenchers/bulwarks slowly inching forward and never letting the enemy get in range. Amazon I only tried once and that was my first rodeo with a severe threat level which did not combo well with me having no idea how to utilize their squishy archers that don't get Overwatch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Couple of oddities I noted in my last game:

-If you finish up an entire tech tree, you will still get the prompt to select a new tech, which you can’t do. You can shunt it to the back of the prompt line by right-clicking, but you can’t get rid of it entirely. This is a very easy mark to hit if you unleash the Synthesis doomsday op on a large map.

-There doesn’t seem to be a way to tell a colony to indefinitely produce energy/research, even though they will put an infinity symbol in your production queue. Is this just me missing something?

-Mounts will override their hero’s status, which makes sense for the most part, but it’s sort of weird for a couple of vehicles. Any hero put on an Assembly chopper will become a cyborg and can get cyborg mods, and contrarily putting an Assembly hero on something like a hoverbike or the subjugator chair will change them into a biological unit. It makes sense that cyborg mods won’t work if a tyrannosaurus or mega-beetle is fighting for you, but it’s weird that getting on a floating bike makes you less of a machine-person than just walking places.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The combat is different, but it's still very much up to AoW standards. It's got more emphasis on flanking and terrain usage and less locking down the enemy with bulky melee dudes, but it's built on the same skeleton.

Alamoduh posted:

When you finish your tech tree you can select any tech tree from an assimilated race(I guess?) by choosing it in the drop down menu with an arrow on the left of the tech tree screen.

Yeah, but this was in the Society tech tree. I had like four assimilated races at that point, but I was getting like three Military Techs per turn so I would have run that tree down if someone managed to knock down a basilisk node and I'd have to start over as well.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Kir'ko I think get the funnest doomstacks thanks to swarm shield and the various buffs you get to clustering. I had one stack that was just a Harbinger and a Bombard beetle that would cluster around the elite flowers from the growth and unleash high-precision artillery charges across the map which would make anyone hit explode and/or release entangling vine creatures on death, while also never dying because of multiple regen mods and the buffed hero swarm shield. The biggest battle I had was my single stack getting attacked by four enemy stacks in an open field and no unit dropping below ~65% health, meaning they'd be at full at the start of every round.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They will spawn some pretty big stacks if you go to war with them in the late game, but they can only spawn them from their dwellings or their smaller on-map bases. I spent one full game at war with the Spacers and never saw a single invasion (despite getting multiple announcements that one was coming) because their nearest base was behind another faction's capital.

I've never managed to go a full game of peace with the Spacers, either, because they're my least favorite non-player faction and the tax for keeping the peace with more than two of them really adds up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have yet to have much trouble dealing with wars on normal difficulty. I don't know if it's just luck, but my strategy has always been to let them attack first, so it's their stacks against my stacks, with the latter being supported by defensive structures and militias. Occupied sectors don't get militia, so even if you're losing ground the opponent will be taking the brunt of the attrition. If they split their troops to hold every sector they take, you gather up your stacks and take them out one by one, and if they keep their stacks together you keep falling back to fortified positions while you send some scouts to take back anything they abandon. Once you've worn down their attacking stacks, they're ripe for a counteroffensive.

If you've got a decent strategic strike force like a stack of fliers you can also usually send them scrambling by sending it towards one of their colonies.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It seems to me that the central beef here is that there are a bunch of gnarly tier 3 and 4 weapon drops that it sucks to miss out on, while vehicle drops don't seem to go past tier 2. I can think of one solution to that which doesn't require altering any fundamental gameplay mechanics.

E: Yeah ok you seem to have a handle on it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know if the return is good enough, but I also like the armor melting mod on them once I've started phasing out huntresses. Then they can soften up targets even while Scan is on cooldown.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Water is arguably the best early sector because of its easily obtained +15 income, but it suffers from difficulty of defense and difficulty of clearing bonus structures. Keep an eye out for sunken districts and reef districts though they are totes worth it.

The water sector upgrades also give bonuses for every equivalent sector, so you want to build them for every city that's just going to specialize in putting out a single resource. A level 3 water exploitation gives +75 to its chosen resource type which is none too shabs.

Afriscipio posted:

In the campaign, Dvar level 2 is kicking my butt. I've restarted it twice and no matter what I seem to do, all the factions attack me by mid game. I can take the assemblyand fend off the Dvar opponent, but then the Kirko and the Amazons roll up with multiple stacks in the mid game and wipe the floor with me.

Any advice?

That's odd; I didn't have that happen to me. I burned some influence to butter up the Kir'ko guy and got him all the way to a defensive pact. He still declared war on me, but not before I was already marching on the Amazon capital so I had time to wipe her out and make it back before any of my cities were absorbed.

The Assembly guy never attacked me, and I even talked him into declaring war on the Dvar guy to keep him off my back. I did agree to do his quest, though I never actually advanced it and he yelled at me for loving up his schemes when I finished the map.

I've finally started playing the campaign and it actually is pretty solid. The Kir'ko campaign in particular seems to have a lot of ways it could go down, though the color scheme for picking Voidtech as your secret technology is awful. I beat that campaign with some crazy souped up heroes and I'm assuming the final map lets you pick your fave, but I'm not going into it as Kir'ko for that reason alone.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can clear out silver/gold dungeons with your starting stack, but the only times I’ve done it was with all-prime units and endgame mods and once on the second Kir’ko campaign by loading up the two carryover heroes with the back end of the Psynumbra/Psi-fish mods in the previous map, which is downright unfair.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Speedball posted:

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on the Syndicate campaign mission 1, since both their gameplay focus and also the Synthesis secret technology are a little sophisticated for me to grasp at first. It seems like a lot of the options require enemies to be Compromised but what do you do when facing biological enemies? Lean on the healing/enhancing stuff and make everyone Integrated? (which seems expensive, Cosmite-wise)

I still haven't fully gotten a handle on Synthesis, but the main thing I've noticed is that all the mods that grant Integrated are also solid mods, and they happen to stack with the Syndicate mods. If you put the targeting mod and the detector mod on Indentured and put an Overseer in their stack they will have a 30% crit rate that can't be reduced by morale. If you stack the guardian mod with the camouflage mod, your units will get a native 55% evasion rate which rises to >100 in defense mode. Most of your mission goals involve clearing out landmarks so you'll get most of the way there just having one big expensive stack.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just wrapped up my second campaign map in a row that I won by having an AI buddy wipe out the last enemy. It's a bit of an anti-climax, but I dig that your allies don't gently caress around.

I have yet to replay any maps, but it seems like there's a fair bit of variation in difficulty depending on where you start out. I had a much harder time in the first assembly map than the second. In the former, I was sandwiched between two hostile factions who would constantly attack me and burn through so many resources I couldn't muster a counterattack, while on the latter I got away with being at war with six factions at once because I was nestled in a cozy far-off corner of the world whose main point of access was settled by a neutral AI.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Biomancer is awesome. The debuff drastically improves your damage output and CC chances, the heal is long range AND cleanses, and Sleep is not only a good CC but also gives bonuses to mind controlling animals with the relevant tacop.

Pug is also awesome because you can pick a designated idiot to run forward for glory

The Assembly support units are a sniper, who can do the full sniper shot or a 2-turn concussion and gets a blinding shot when low on AP, and the Reverse Engineer who turns every even fight into one you win with zero attrition if you keep it alive.

Kir'ko get the Transcendent who gets Absorb Pain, a heal, and a decently hard-hitting psionic attack. Slap a regen mod on them and they'll keep your heroes immortal for days while also getting to shoot things down from the back line. I forget who their other specialist is; is it the Engulfer? That's one of the better air units and Caustic Smoke is a good area lockdown attack.

I don't have a strong opinion on the Syndicate units because every time I've played them I've ended up focusing on tech/Dwelling units.

Support units on the whole are hella solid and worthwhile, and it's mostly just the Dvar foreman who gets shafted for being merely decent while the rest of the starting Dvar line-up is just murdertown.

E: Also, Gerbs, the Reassembly Module can't be applied to Paragon units even though they're listed as cyborgs and the mod description says it's applicable to all cyborgs. Is this intended or a bug?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Angering an NPC faction will drop your relationship by 5 points and they may send you a demand next turn. They will occasionally send you demands regardless. I haven’t done any testing, but I think the big demands (large amount of cosmite/energy, or even a sector) come when your relationship goes into the negative, and as long as you meet those your relationship level won’t drop.

They get angry if you:
-Do a quest for another faction (this means you have to use the Unifier doctrine or raise your relationship by buying their stuff if you want to befriend 3+ factions)
-Fail a quest (declining is fine)
-Take a claimed sector