Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Someone mentioned this in regards to AoW3 a long time ago, but it still stands: when I press “load save”, the following three buttons pop up:

[Save game ] [No] [Cancel]

It’s infuriating! I have to reread the text almost every time to make sure I don’t mess it up, and I still manage to mess it up a bunch.

I pressed the load save button to load a save, not to save a game. I would be much less annoyed if i actually lost a save by accidentally loading another game than I am by being prompted to save every time i want to load and having to press “No” to make a “yes, load” action.

There should be only two buttons here: “yes”- to load the save, and “cancel” if you pressed the “load save” button by mistake. (Maybe the sentences of text that pop up should be the warning that you are loading a save and if you want to save before you load, press “cancel” and then the “save game” button). Or at least make an option to turn off the game asking you to save every time you load.

One more minor gripe- I don’t like that the voiced tech quotes have the speaker state their name and position after each one.

HOWEVER:

The game is great; I love the non-traditional factions (my favorite is assembly with +1 additonal target arc and stun on hit mods for the whole stack). I am working my way through the campaigns, and still have three more to do, but everything I have played through so far has been amazing and fun. Im also mostly auto resolving because I don’t understand all the units yet, but I have learned a lot from letting the AI manually resolve and watching how it uses abilities.

The studio definitely learned a lot from AoW3, and it shows (except the load save issue) and I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I finished the first Kir'Ko campaign map and the campaign mission list is not recognizing I finished it. What do I do? Known bug?

Select the kir’ko campaign mission and then play it- it should take you to mission 2. The campaigns just take up one selection slot per race, even though there are 3 missions per racial campaign.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Couple of oddities I noted in my last game:

-If you finish up an entire tech tree, you will still get the prompt to select a new tech, which you can’t do. You can shunt it to the back of the prompt line by right-clicking, but you can’t get rid of it entirely. This is a very easy mark to hit if you unleash the Synthesis doomsday op on a large map.

-There doesn’t seem to be a way to tell a colony to indefinitely produce energy/research, even though they will put an infinity symbol in your production queue. Is this just me missing something?

-Mounts will override their hero’s status, which makes sense for the most part, but it’s sort of weird for a couple of vehicles. Any hero put on an Assembly chopper will become a cyborg and can get cyborg mods, and contrarily putting an Assembly hero on something like a hoverbike or the subjugator chair will change them into a biological unit. It makes sense that cyborg mods won’t work if a tyrannosaurus or mega-beetle is fighting for you, but it’s weird that getting on a floating bike makes you less of a machine-person than just walking places.

When you finish your tech tree you can select any tech tree from an assimilated race(I guess?) by choosing it in the drop down menu with an arrow on the left of the tech tree screen.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Hooo. The final campaign mission. I just spent SO MANY HOURS going through that one only for it to peter out into an unwinnable state. I think it might be considerably overtuned.
I have beaten it as neutral on medium difficulty, and I felt the same way you did. I think the neutral stacks (2-3 stacks of 6 units at a time, spawning within 1-turn move range of your cities is way too much, as they become an order of magnitude more difficult than the enemy opponents). I just rushed for the enemies, since I couldn’t do anything about the minor civs taking my cities and sectors every few turns.

However, just before I won, I noticed that the minor civ armies only spawn on bases/features owned by that minor civ- so I guess you could clear them all out?

It did seem like a slog for that reason, and I don’t want to replay it.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
What does “absorb a new colony or outpost” mean? Doesn’t work in using settler to found a colony, doesn’t work in taking over a town from a neutral.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
The most efficient way to play the empire campaign is: reroll planets until you get the “imaging satellites” trait and the “swift action” secondary objective and set the map size to small. This means the map is revealed and you win if you beat a player in less than 20 turns.

Then choose a commander with a vehicle and millitary detachment and go steamroll your nearest neighbor in less than 10 turns to win the game. Every time you do it, your commander gains levels, which makes it easier.

It’s not going to be the most fun way for some, but since I never really play a rush game, it’s a change of pace.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
The desertion chance for units with low morale seems a little off. Unless it is cumulative per turn, it is too high: I had units with -200 morale (5% desertion chance) desert on 4 consecutive turns. I mean, small number sample and all, but that’s a .00625% probability according to omnicalculator.com.

Edit: 5 turns in a row, with 2 units deserting on the 5th turn. NICE!

It’s relevant because if you are going to use other faction units from the empire unlocks, the mod that makes units ignore morale seems mandatory.

I’m doing an assembly juggernaut hero (gives resurgence) with oathbound paladins (250 imperial renown) on a map modifier that gives +100 renown per pickup. It’s bonkers.

But I have had two long games now have crashes after turn 90 on a large map where reloading from an earlier save does not help, restarting the game does not help, and reloading from 5 turns earlier and doing different things does not help. Extremely annoying to be within a few turns of winning and have to abandon planet.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 17, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

It's been pretty certain that the desertion math is wrong somehow for quite a while. I think one of the devs lost 3-4 units in the same turn on stream during the last devmatch, which is just ludicrously unlikely.

Just edited my post to reflect that on turn 5, 2 more units deserted. So maybe the math is correct after all: 5% per turn definitely means that 6 units deserting in 5 turns at 5% happens .0000015625% of the time, which seems pretty likely.

Obviously I’m being sarcastic, but my point stands- the morale mod will save you 25 cosmite and 350 production per unit if you get low morale, making it far and away the best mod in the game if you are using non-racial units.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 17, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Helion posted:

Which is the morale mod again?

mods to avoid morale penalty
1) Tenets of tranquility celestian
2) Parasite symbiosis xenoplague
3) Corrupted incarnation

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Open Beta is up for Steam users. Contains fixes, balance changes and a new last-minute QoL feature!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-steam-open-beta-program.1443994/

For those not on Steam, hopefully we'll be able to have this out to you guys in the next couple of weeks.

Lots of good fixes in this one, with heavy nerfs to oathbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

mincedgarlic posted:

Just picked this up on Steam and am wondering the same thing. Have never played any AoW games but I like Paradox games and space stuff. I see there's a campaign but "Found a New Empire" seems way cooler. I watched a YouTube video on the Galactic Empire mode, and it seems like an ongoing campaign itself if I'm not mistaken. Any recommendation on the best mode for a first play-through?

Definitely empire mode! Though the oathbound campaign, after you win, gives you a level 5 empire hero and unlocks the super-powerful paragon alpha soldiers in empire mode.

But just play empire, it’s a great experience that I hope other games emulate going forward.