Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's me, the dude who's a bit excited about this despite the fact that I just realized I'm not very good at Age of Wonders and Heroes of Might and Magic because I play to fight, not to win. That said I hope there's more empire-building this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If only plans for the Forge town type in HoMM3 didn't fall through...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't have archives so I guess I could post these here, sorry for the bother:

After 20 hours in vanilla AoW3 and it just not clicking with me, I finally decided to try it again and, yeah, I finally get AoW3. Basically it came down to learning these lessons:

- Kill off those monster lairs ASAP.
- Produce Merchandise, etc; are not affected by the cities' total production.
- Don't bother going for a true balanced army composition; 6 slots is not enough for that.
- Take an artillery piece.

I've been playing Dreadnought since that was the class I've wanted to get into all along, and Humans and Dwarves have always been my AoW staples. In connection with point 3, I've learned to transition from 2 Dwarven Axeman/2 Crossbow/1 Trebuchet to 4 Musketeer/ 1 Trebuchet, with my Dreadnought leader/heroes packing Rapid Reload and the heal skill for party map regen. This eventually transitions into 4 Musketeer/1 Cannon (also goddamn these Cannons are sick, I wrongly assumed that they have to be literally in a straight line with the target to do penetrating shots), then 2 Musketeer/2 Juggernaut/1 Engineer.

This works well with Dwarves because they're beefy as all hell, though I feel like not having any melee units at all is a bit risky. Maybe I could drop 1 Juggernaut for a Firstborn or Golem, but whatever.

For Humans, I've taken a liking to Knights thanks to their Armored status and their ability to pack pistols. I know, however, that Knights are awesome mainly because they have Tier 3 stats on a cavalry unit with Shield and Armored; in contrast, Dwarven Boar Riders don't have shields and are only Tier 2. My questions:

1. If you can afford it, is going pure Knight + artillery a better choice than 2 Knight/2 Musketeer/arty?
2. Could Boar Riders do the same for Dwarves in terms of a full stack, or could they even be better off than the pure footslogger guns composition by doing a mixed composition of 2 Boar Riders/2 Musketeers/arty?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, when I brought up the balanced army thing, it was more of "see what strengths your class/race combo has and push them to the limit", since you clearly won't have enough space to have infantry, cavalry, archers, arty, and support all in one stack. I always figured that Musketeers would have a role even in T4 times because the innate Dwarf defense + Armored + Dreadnought bonuses to Armored + final Dwarf race governance bonus would make them exceptionally tough while still wrecking dudes and potentially halving their action points from 2 spaces away, compared to Golems and Firstborn that would have to spend all their movement to get into damage range for maybe only one or two attacks, only get one shot at an engaged target if they decide to break away and flank/attack other ranged units.

It's why I really like Knights; their mobility lets you gently caress with the enemy and pistols let them chip away at targets they can't run down with a charge or are too dangerous to facetank. Having Knights/maybe Boar Riders work in conjunction with a Muskeeter center while the artillery pulls targets was the nearest I could think up for combined arms, until I reflected on how the game works a bit more and wondered if just going all in on a unit type (ie. all Knights) plus support (Cannon plus reloading Engineer, plus Priest and minus Knight if no Hero for passive healing) was the better way.

ninjewtsu posted:

pro tip for anyone getting into aow3, and especially anyone playing dreadnought:

there is no production overflow. if you are building a unit that costs 100 gold (and therefore costs 100 production), and your city has 99 production, that unit will take 2 turns to make. if you queue up 6 of that unit, it'll take 12 turns before your queue is complete. so before deciding to cast mana fuel core/build a siege workshop, examine your city's current production, what you're planning to build with it, and ask yourself "will this actually help at all? or will i spend resources to change nothing?"

Oh man, is this ever true. You save so much gold just by recognizing that, yeah, this town won't have to pump out units at all so don't bother with anything but mana/research/domain buildings.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh god, this Unifier victory isn't what it seems. Lessons learned!

At least I've learned that with enough bonuses active, Human Archers are superior city defenders to Musketeers since you can get them out at gold rank, which gives them an additional damage channel on their shots, as well as having better range and shooting thrice every turn.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I only am right now because I'm going for the Unifier victory and trying out all these neat toys. I could go for a world conquest easily with all these fully-upgraded Knights that come out as Veterans, but first I want to see just what Juggernauts and whatnot can do in a city defense.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A brief question re: AoW3: if you can't get both the Flowstone Citadel and the Enchanted Armory in one city, which is preferable for Dreadnought machines? The 10HP or the 2 defense and 1 resistance?

EDIT: Also, it seems to me, and this does sound somewhat crazy, but considering that they're short-ranged units that are surprisingly resilient and meant for close combat, is the Musketeer's "replacement" the Flame Tank?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 27, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus Christ, I didn't expect the Flame Tank's AOE to be that loving huge. OK, now I see why 2 Golems are probably the more proper choice for a Dreadnought stack composition, though with Dwarf upgrades and specializations, Firstborn (and their Fire Immunity making double Flame Tanks a lot more usable) might be straight up the superior choice until The Great Mobilization, where you really have to think hard whether 36 movement points and Tireless compares against the superior stats of the Firstborn.

Anyway, I pre-ordered AoW3 and wasn't really taken in, but between all these developments over the years, I can see why you guys have a lot of hope for this new game. Between that and the dangerous but highly-compelling inclusion of a unit designer, consider me somewhat likely to pre-order this one again.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 28, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Having finally reached endgame with my Dwarf Dreadnought and fighting off every single remaining AI while I camp the seals, there's a simplicity to endless Knight spam that I miss, especially because Dread-boosted Knights can pretty much do everything. Meanwhile, as Dwarf, I have to keep these endless stacks of high-tier flyers and all sorts of bullshit off my artillery and Engineers, because otherwise they won't be able to kill the bastards. I wouldn't dare try the combined arms approach either without Dwarf Engineers, because without the Meteoric Armor buff and Projectile Resistance, they'd be way too fragile to use frequently.

Also, every time I think about mixing up my endgame stack composition of 2 Golems/1 Flame Tank/1 Juggernaut/2 Engineers, like say, dropping the Flame Tank for a Cannon, a Flame Tank does some crazy poo poo with Overload and torches half a stack. Also, I think Golems have proven themselves enough with Tireless that I think they really are the better choice for a ranged-heavy Dreadnought (as if there's anything else), even over Firstborn.

EDIT: Wait a minute...you only need one Engineer for reloading the Juggernaut. TWO FLAME TANKS IT IS

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 28, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Give me the Space Dorfs. I will shoot and explode everything

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yes, this is the selling point of the game for me and it looks like it delivers nice and hard.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Legit badass that the Promethean finisher is literally turning the whole planet into a Fuel Air Bomb.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Turn your enemies into poop bugs!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
these are my fuckin guys

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
holy poo poo i love em

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Interesting in that there's no engineer equivalent or whatever for repairing all their mech units. I guess it's a unit mod for the Foremen or whatever that'll do that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna roll Dvar and get the Autonom on my side. Heavy industry and technology, hell yeah!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Reharakhti posted:

With Synthesis for extra tech-y ness?

Is that one of the other Secret Techs? I missed it, because otherwise good ole Promethean and setting everything on fire seems like my kind of deal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

:stare:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Yuri's gotta cut down on the blin.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I feel bad because I thought that first streamer was full-on looking like a neckbeard, complete with icon, and it turns out he's a pretty chill and competent AoW player (and long-time fan) and I'm an rear end in a top hat for assuming he would suck :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Here's a reminder that without Notch, the biggest neckbeard there is, we wouldn't have AoW 3 and without AoW 3 we wouldn't have Planetfall.

oh god thanks for reminding me about that :negative:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can't believe the Female Sexbots are higher tier than the Male Sexbots, I'm making a Youtube video about this outrage

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks to the scale of it all, I played AoW2 like it was somewhat of a Civ-like. AoW3 is definitely a lot smaller in scale and intimate, which eventually got me to treating it as a proper wargame. It was the same thing with the Heroes of Might and Magic series; as much as I love getting bigger numbers, in the end the goal is to kick someone's rear end.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gives an edge to production-heavy factions, since they can turn their industrial capacity into either more units or stronger units out of the assembly line. I like it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It's out, restart Good Old Games.

GABE COME ON

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This game owns. Bless up to Triumph for the good poo poo, and thank you Paradox for regional pricing. I'll get that season pass when I can spare the scratch, that's how much I'm feeling the game right now.

Quick opinion from anyone playing: what's your stance on establishing colonies? Only do so when there's actual good sectors to take?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Vanguard campaign's first mission has a badass combo right from the get-go in your first settlement: two production sectors with defensive buffs for mechanical units. With the unit discount building, you can insta-build these laser bikes that have a ridiculous amount of defense for what's supposed to a skirmisher unit in one turn. Doing the usual restart in order to spec towards vehicle spam, hell yeah.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Colonies can only ever have 5 sectors max, right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I had a similar issue where a Trooper unit of mine blew up a biodome that a bug was hiding behind with a grenade, then another Trooper went for the flank. Instead of going around the dome, the second Trooper went inside it, the game softlocked, but eventually they teleported to the correct area and I was able to finish the fight.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Voidtech has some pretty good mods and operations, a fair bit of which involve movement or shields. There's definitely some synergy for Vanguard, particularly with their higher-tier mech units, even if it's not as sexy as Vanguard Promethean Purifiers being more or less a straight upgrade to Vanguard Troopers (that can also equip jetpacks, gently caress yeah!)

On a related note: Vanguard Troopers are legit as all hell with good support and mods. Managed to get a 4 stack with PUG/OWL/Hero support all the way to max level, and they were loving poo poo up real good despite being T1 units thanks to unit mods like jetpacks and rail accelerators.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Amazons aren't my style but I definitely dig how Triumph gave them sickass plasma bows instead of the usual single-shot plasma gun.

BTW, I said Vanguard Purifiers are (usually) an upgrade over Troopers because they get plasma repeaters instead of the single-shot, which means they'll be straight up better, except for cases where your enemy is thermal-resistant. Meanwhile, Dvar Purifiers get a 20% damage boost for their single-shots and their plasma grenades, so they can still compete fairly well. Can't comment on the other factions though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Tried the Dvar campaign. Affirmed one lesson and learned three:

1) Imperial APC start is now a strong favorite of mine. The 2-turn global accuracy and morale buff is fantastic for range-heavy armies, and is often worth not having your Commander/Hero be a combat unit. The Repair Drone is also extremely good; it's 4 turns worth of a powerful heal on a unit that flies, which means it can also reach any unit in danger very quickly. If shot down, well, it just distracted the enemy so all's still good.

2) Dvar Trenchers may seem like they're short-ranged units built for sitting in a trench and loving poo poo up. This is half-true: with mods and other bonuses, they're actually mid-range units built for sitting in a trench and loving poo poo up. Don't assume that just because they only get one shot and only have 80% accuracy base that they can only fend off rushers or short-ranged ranged enemies; I've had them basically functioning like turrets that do reliable damage every turn against enemies.

3) Dvar Foremen are...unnecessary. If you have a Piloting/APC Hero, they do healing and buffing a lot better. In terms of combat, they have to fire their grenades at enemy units directly; along with their short range, they're not very good at blowing up cover and damaging multiple enemies. It's kind of a bummer; I'll make them only if I don't have a free Piloting hero available to lead stacks.

4) Dvar Bulwarks are love, Dvar Bulwarks are life. These are the real damage dealers in early game, with their repeater cannons and full overwatch on blue move. Load them up with mods, protect them well, and watch them clean house.

I usually roll with a Hero, 2 Bulwarks, and 2 Trenchers for early/mid game. The final slot is a doozy to fill out; generally I'd want a cover buster/arcing fire unit to smoke out enemies. Since the campaign has you as Promethean, I settled for a Purifier to do the job. Sadly, I found out that the firebomb attack requires full action points, which cripples their usage a lot. Next time, I'll be using Dvar Ramjets instead as they have a single-action missile attack that can be boosted with the early game explosive mods and can be used for easy demolition work.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Follow-up: Dvar Trenchers gain Ignore Cover (50%) on max rank. They'll outshoot anything that doesn't budge them out of their trenches, without needing mods.

Follow-follow-up: My elite Trenchers just loving outshot a cyber zombie sniper on an enemy colony's ramparts. These guys are too legit to quit.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 7, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

With production overflow in now

Oh gently caress

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, Dvar Xenoplague. I'm a bit stumped, TBH; I guess the easy combo is parasites on your Trenchers for more health and status immunity, which is good. I hoped there was going to be like...viral agent bullets or something, but unfortunately you only get guns for heroes, not unit mods. Most of the unit mods are also built for biological units, of which only Trenchers are of any real note.

I guess you're intended to run parasite Trenchers for tanking in early game, as usual, but replace them with proper bio-horrors once you get some DPS units online? And use heroes/operations to spread the plague?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Managed to beat a top-tier Vanguard/Promethean marauder stack with elite, modded Troopers and Gunships, judicious use of operations, and a high-level support Hero in an APC. This unit modding system is the loving bomb, well done Triumph.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The tooltips say they'll become hostile if you refuse a demand from them while your Favor with them is at 0. If you refuse a demand while Favor is above 0, it'll reduce your Favor count to 0, regardless of how high it is.

Bit harsh to have an NPC faction go from friendly to hostile by missing two demands, but what I wonder is what happens if their dwelling has been integrated into one of your colonies or even if you're already at the highest level of friendship. Do they break off and immediately start poo poo?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My understanding of Heroes is that they can effectively "replace" a unit type you have in your roster, like, take a Vanguard Trooper squad, for example; any Vanguard Hero can be equipped with a repeater weapon and grenade to replicate what a Trooper can do, except you can boost them further through skills and give them laser rifles and whatnot if you want those laser mods instead of the firearms mods. Same for vehicles too.

It's just that if you have a colony with access to the better sector buildings, like the Spaceship Maintenance Bay that gives a straight up 2 defense against everything to mech units, you might be better off with actual units instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I'm not feeling so hot, haha, about Promethean tech after some missions since Purifiers are single-shot and they need full action for their AoE fireblast. The Dvar damage boost doesn't feel like it's enough to compensate, and while Vanguard Purifiers get repeaters and can also benefit from jetpacks eventually, their weapon isn't a Firearms weapon, which means standard Troopers can get damage mods with strong utility on top (Rail Accelerators, in particular, are extremely good with 10% damage, 1 range, and 10% accuracy) waaaaay faster than you can get the stronger damage mod for the Purifier's plasma weapons.

There's one notable exception: the second tier damage mod for Prometheans is +10% accuracy and +20% damage against burning enemies, with the usual +10% damage base. This is reliant on the enemy already being lit up, where Vanguard Purifiers may have another advantage because I assume that their multiple shots mean that they could probably inflict burning with the first shot, then benefit from the bonuses on follow-up shots. Still, not being able to use Rail Accelerators and Smart Rounds if you have access to Paragons has been causing me to second-guess myself about whether to use Troopers or Purifiers as Vanguard.