Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Usman is going to get wrecked when he fights anyone else.

Except Tyron Woodley. If they fight, it will last two months and have eight strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

lol

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

Malaria posted:

Maia losing to literally anyone that can stop his lovely takedowns is dumb.

Everyone cant be Rick Story. Maybe train with some wrestlers idk.

I literally look like the dude in my avatar. I dont know poo poo, but it seems reasonable to me

Maia has come leaps and bounds from where he was 8 ago as far as implementing his game plan goes with serviceable striking and single leg chains/guard pulls. He can't just go to AKA in his late 30s to develop the skills and athleticism to shoot doubles on top tier college wrestlers 10 years his junior. You're more likely to wind up missing an ACL or two with a side of CTE.

As it stands, Maia's already surpassed his potential given the tools he has and should walk off into the sunset teaching bjj seminars before he takes some serious damage.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Neeber posted:

Maia has come leaps and bounds from where he was 8 ago as far as implementing his game plan goes with serviceable striking and single leg chains/guard pulls. He can't just go to AKA in his late 30s to develop the skills and athleticism to shoot doubles on top tier college wrestlers 10 years his junior. You're more likely to wind up missing an ACL or two with a side of CTE.

As it stands, Maia's already surpassed his potential given the tools he has and should walk off into the sunset teaching bjj seminars before he takes some serious damage.

This is the kind of response I wanted.

I really don't know how this poo poo works. But in my dumb brain it seemed reasonable.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Malaria posted:

This is the kind of response I wanted.

I really don't know how this poo poo works. But in my dumb brain it seemed reasonable.

It even could of just been a timing thing, Maia is 40 and didn't get into the UFC until after he was an established BJJ guy. Maybe a good hypothetical of someone with high level grappling (Not saying he's as good as Maia) and also cross training mma at a high level at the same time is someone like Brian Ortega who looks to be a fight away from a title shot.
But he hasn't even fought the kind of wrestlers that Maia has had to

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

The lead up to Maia's title shot was real awesome. He put on clinics against Neil Magny, Gunnar Nelson, and Matt Brown, then he made Condit look like an amateur. He won the Masvidal fight, but I think Jorge exposed a lot of ways to deal with him. I am not clamoring to pay 60 bucks to watch him, but I can't hate a guy for fighting in a way that was working like a year and a half ago.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
one of the kickboxing illuminati had been talking up syuri kondo because she fought in krush, which frankly has some truly dreadful fighters outside of main event slots, but it's still a little surprising to hear she got folded in half in 30 seconds lol

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Neeber posted:

I completely agree with this, I'm just sad he never got to hold the belt. I can't even begin to imagine the party rich Arab Sheiks would've thrown for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Puelles/Silva reminded me why I love this stupid god drat sport so much. Good lord what a comeback.

• Locked thread