Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Convoy

The group wasn't large. About a dozen men and women, each one of them marked with a burned handprint on their heart courtesy of their leader. Their eyes feverish with faith, though none as burning as their leader. The woman, who had once been a brunette now had silver hair, though otherwise she still looked young. She inhaled deeply.

"Smell the air, brothers and sisters in flame." Merryl, or Lady Lunargent spoke, as she motioned at the village. "It was built by greed, it was maintained by greed, and now, through greed, it rots away slowly. Its decaying corpse spreading despair and sin, each child leaving this place carrying it with them to the city. We shall build it a pyre, and the people within, perhaps shall spark as well, and bring forth purification, rather than putrification."

She thought on how to start. "Let us draw their attention, we shall gather the wooden garbage, and their detritus, and with it, we shall make a bonfire this evening. This place has been bereft of joy, and many will flock to us. The warmth of our conviction shall bring them closer to us. Let us welcome them, learn about them, and speak them of purification. But do not yet share with them our noble end goal, and the Spark I was given by Asemir, the Sacred Flame. Only those who have embraced our cause must know."

Try to get an 'event' going on, a bonfire with some of the trash and castoffs that might be found, with the cult 'cleaning' the street a bit, and generally seeming like they might be a good time, encouraging people to come there in a good mood, where we can try to find prime candidate for conversion. +4 Cult Leader, not yet using superpowers

(This but with silver flame instead of green.)

quote:

Cult Leader [+4] Lunargent grew up within a cult, and her father was one of its leaders. Between her knowledge of manipumation, her manic devotion and the use of her powers to further impress would be followers, she usually manages to gather a flock wherever there are people who are dissatisfied with the state of the world.

Survivalist [+2] The cult she grew up in kept far away from any kind of civilization, and learned to be far more self sufficient than most people in modern society. Lady Lunargent can hunt, kill and skin a quarry, than find a well covered campsite with clean water to cook it, and prepare the skin for use.

Super Ability
Silver Flame [+2]: Lunargent commands the silver flame, which she can summon and control. These flames can set other matter on fire, though the resulting flames are just normal fire and not within her control.

Drawbacks
Fanatic [-2]: Lunargent very deeply believes in her sacred mission, refuses to denounce her god and reacts with anger and often violence to those who insult her faith.
Uneducated [-2]: Being raised and home schooled in an insular community did not do wonders for her education.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Convoy

Lady Lunargent waited a bit, making sure that most people that were to show up had shown up, giving her cultists some time to welcome them, get them in a good and receptive mood. she took a deep breath, imagining the fire filling her lungs, so she could speak the Truths to these people, and ignite their very souls. She stood behind the bonfire, the flame's colours making her all too pale skin seem to light golden.

"Welcome, all! And thank you for joining us in our cleansing. Where flame takes that which has been discarded and lost, and turns it into light and warmth. As the flame, so do we. For many of us have been discarded, and were lost. Some of us still are. Discarded and lost to a society that moves forward, like a cold machine, on some unknown purpose, but its priests, its scientists, its salesmen, its politicians tell you to FEED the machine. To be useful. Be useful to the machine or you are worthless!" She spat.

"I see no cogs here, I see no broken parts that that machine spat out! When I see here, I see FLAME! Each human soul a bright, warm fire seeking only to join the others in warmth and light! The machine may try to swallow that fire, to corrupt it, to use it, but its cold metal can never create the flame. It can only corrupt it, taint it, fill the body mind and soul with ugliness that causes thick smoke and stench. But where one flame alone may be smothered, when we add our fire together, we do not flicker or fade, we purify ourselves and each other, we keep our flame bright and pure and warm! We watch over what fuel we consume to maintain that purity, and what follows... is happiness, is belonging, is purpose.

"Tell me, good people of Convoy. Tell me about yourselves. How has the machine treated you?"

Next step is to give a sermon, then the idea is to draw folks in, tell them how full of potential and hope they are, but how much society sucks and is holding them back and holding them down. +4 Cult Leader, (which is gonna see a fair amount of use)

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 23, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Convoy

Good. Good. Things were working properly. The people's soouls yearned for the spark, but it was not time to ignite yet. Two more of those celebrations were had, in similar fashion, seeking to lure in all that might be called. On the third evening, Lady Lunargent spoke.

"We thank you for joining with us, for sharing with us your stories. We must leave on the morrow. This place threatens to taint, and we should leave it to maintain purity, to be far away from the machine. Those who wish are welcome to join us. It will lack many of the comforts used to smother your flame here, but you will find friendship, and all are welcome!"

Of course, all would be welcome. But there was a thing she knew but didn't speak. Not all of them would have the strength needed. And her Cause was too great to allow those without the resolve to see it through to slow them down. No, she'd take them on a rough trip, with little to eat, little sleep and only the encouragement of the others to keep them going. Those who endured would be purer and more receptive to the deeper truths. And those whose fire only flickered and would never see the tasks through were likely to break off and go to the town.

The fire she sparked should burn clean.

[i]Going to take prospective cultist members out on a trip through the desert rough lands, and test their resolve a bit, seperating wheat from the chaff and making sure those who stay are proud of their accomplishment, all-in, and perhaps also fatigued enough to be receptie. cult leader +4 and Survivalist +2

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Outside of Convoy

That night, there was a fire, smaller, with the new folks from Mission being praised by their new brothers and sisters, and Lady Lunargent spoke when the fire seemed to be . "My brethern, my sisters. I am overjoyed to see that the temptations of the machine have not drawn you away. Your souls add to the fire we create, make the world a bit less foul, a bit more pure. Would I could say that our fires along could purify this sinful world."

She gazed as the fire slowly started to peter out. "But it is not. The world gets worse and worse. The servants of the machine have turned the world into their playground, and barely a few have the will to fight, let along the means." She carefully let her voice fall more and more silent as the flame was going out. "As things are, one day soon the flames will... go out." It was almost whispered as the last flickers seemed to die in embers.

And then there was a flash of silver flame as the fire burned from her hand, and where once there was dying yellow flames now burned a silver flame, making her face light up in the darkness. "YET IT WILL NOT!" Seh called out. "For we are more than dying embers, more than a wildfire. We are a signal. The flame of a lighthouse! A beacon! And we shall call down a Greater flame! One that will turn the machine and its servants to cinders! I have been blessesd with but a spark of it! And I share that spark with others."

With this, the members of the cult would uncover their chests, where a burn mark of a palm showed their dedication. She pointed at the new initiates, holding up a hand that burned with the silver flame. "You too are worthy, pure, chosen. Join us now, and together we shall be as one, and we shall light the fire that will lead Lord Asemir here. And those who were low, shall be raised high!"

She stepped forward. "Let me feel your heart, let me feel the purity, the burning in your blood. And in pain and fire and cleansing, you will be reborn anew."

And going for the initiation ritual, and showing off the powers. +4 Cult Leader +2 Silver Flame. And of course, the burning handprint is just a fancy way to mark them as 'in crowd' but has no acutal mental compulsions

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 7, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Outside of Convoy

She took her time for the branding. Each and every person was branded, and warmly welcomed and embraced by their new fellows, the silver fire continuing to lighten their faces. Once they were all welcomed, she raised her voice, feeling the inspiration. Yes, yes, this was what she needed to do. Any doubts about laying low and fearing the retribution were discarded as faithless doubts. "Brothers, sisters!" She called out. "Let us celebrate this night, and then let us sleep during the day! Tomorrow, we will go to Convoy. We now recognize it as a place that is not worthy to house humans, not worthy to exist! Yet it shall have a purpose! Like all the garbage we have found, it is worthy of burning, bringing warmth, and light, calling to the Great Cleanser. So we shall return to Convoy at night, and we will have it know Purpose. We will spread, and light sparks all over that misbegotten place, and I and a few of the strongest among you, will go to the fire department, who, misguided as they are, would douse these purifying flames, and make sure their tools of the Machine are the first to burn."

The idea is to go on a nighttime 'attack' on Convoy, with a lot of the cultists lighting smaller fires all over the place, and Lady Lunargent starting an attack on the fire department. At this stage at the very least, casualties are more a regrettable side effect than a goal, so they're not gonna barricade doors or stop people from fleeing. They haven't really made that much plans for afterwards, since Lady Lunargent is kind of feverishly hoping her god will show up, and planning for his absence feels rather faithless right now. So probably gonna end up drawing way too much attention.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 13, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Convoy Fire Department

She had miscalcuated the time she had needed to get to the fire station. By the time she was there, most of the vehicles had left. She scowled, and if not for her piety, would have cursed. She looked at her followers. "Let us storm the place. The Fire willing, the ones who steer the ones who would quench our flames are here, and we will make them send the firetrucks on a wild goose chase. Forward! We shall harm none that yield, but in the name of the Great Cleanser, we will accept no failure!"

with that she ran forward, fire burning in her hand to cow any one that would seek to bar her entry.

We're gonna have fun storming the castle fire station. Since there aren't many people here, we're gonna go for shock and awe, make anyone inside surrender, and if there's someone inthere coordinating the fire trucks, threaten them into having the fire trucks go to the wrong places. Silver flame +2

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Convoy Fire Department

The firehouse was left to be consumed by the flame, or at least their equipment was. (She could not help but feel a lack of satisfaction) and Lady Lunargent stared at the sky, as if expecting their Cleansing Saviour to descend now. Yet no, they had not done enough. Perhaps she should pull back. Gather her followers and try this again, yet with better preparation?

NO! This was a test of faith. Planning and caution ill fit her in this moment! No, she had to push forward boldly. "Send a message to all the followers. We shall head to the center of town, to the police station. The Machine's attempt to quench the Flame will be stopped!"

Trying to gather the cult for an attack on the police station. Because I might not have that much opportunity to really put that 'fanatic' in my rolls, but I'm gonna make bad decisions based on it.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Convoy Police Station

The old girl she had be would be cowed, would be frightened. But no. This was her reveal. This was the dawn of a new age of glorious purifying flame!

"Stand not against me!" She commanded, raising a hand and causing a large wall of flame to rise, blocking their vision "I don't seek your deahs, but if you interfere with man's salvation, you will burn."

A long wait for a short and lovely post, my apologies. But for this particular thing, I tried too long to think of something better +2 Flame and +2 Cult leader to awe and intimidate the cops

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Convoy Police Station

It was not what she wanted. This was not what was supposed to happen. They were supposed to be awed or terrified, fleeing or kneeling. This was a moment of glory. But so much violence, so much blood and pain. This was not...

No.

No weakness. No doubt. Only faith. Pain and death would be needed to bring about the new world.

As fire started to lick, she looked up at the news helicopter. Servants of the machine. But she could use them. Spread the spark! Her voice would not reach them. But fire would speak for her. With a movement of her hand, the purple flames would slither and move on the ground, burning without fuel over the blood soaked battlefield.

"Rejoice! The purifying fire is nigh! The Machine cannot stop it! Be the flame, or be the kindle!"

No way to go back, only forward. If this fire was not great enough, she'd have to burn more. And she'd regret the deaths that would follow. But it would all be worth it in the end.

Trying to use my 15 minutes of fame to 'get the word out' on national TV, use Cult Leader +4 ,and Flame +2 to look like a cool and awesome divine rebel, rather than an insane death cultist. However, a Fanatic -2, because I am kind of an insane death cultist

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Convoy Police Station
1FP

Blood. Blood and Death. This was what it would take to bring a pure world about. Seeing many of the people she grew up with get gun downed as they butchered the police. It seemed unreal. The few media she'd seen was real. This was the fake. She looked at the sky and saw... nothing. Not enough. Still not enough. Her faith didn't waver though. The flames would not Guide him yet, but they would forge her. Harden her. She spoke to her remaining followers.
"It is time for us to leave. We mustn't allow them to smother us now! Gather some of the keys of police vehicles, put the wounded inside. I shall make sure they are distracted preventing their corrupt warren from burning." And with that, she gathered flames once more. This time, rather than focus them on one target, she sent them on a scattershot all across the town. "Now, they should be too busy to follow us."

Time to get out. Going to use Flame Control +2 to create a diversion to make sure the police have other things on their mind that pursuit before loading up the survivors.

• Locked thread