Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I see this thread every year and I'm thinking maybe this time I should take that as a sign. I've enjoyed a couple FF games over the years (favorite being 4) but only ever completed one mainline game (7).

What's the timeframe for FJF? Is there an end date? And what's the current recommended version to play? I would likely be playing mostly on my phone instead of working. My original plan was to emulate the GBA version for controller support when not at work but I'm still hesitant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The fiesta runs between mid-June and the end of August. A lot of us feel that the GBA version is the best one, but really anything other than the iOS release is fine. Don't do a natural run.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I see this thread every year and I'm thinking maybe this time I should take that as a sign. I've enjoyed a couple FF games over the years (favorite being 4) but only ever completed one mainline game (7).

What's the timeframe for FJF? Is there an end date? And what's the current recommended version to play? I would likely be playing mostly on my phone instead of working. My original plan was to emulate the GBA version for controller support when not at work but I'm still hesitant.

Like ultrafilter said, most of us go with the GBA version. Despite some sound and lag issues, it's probably the best version and has a good translation. Make sure you get the patches; the Discord has people that can help you out if you get stuck.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 17, 2018

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Registration is open!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

derra posted:

Registration is open!

Let's fuckin' go. :hellyeah:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Chaos Berserker Risk all set!

Oh poo poo I forgot about Forbidden but I'm scared it will make me play on GBA

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've signed up... Haven't done a proper FF5 playthrough before but an event like this will make it way more fun to run through.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I swear to god I'll actually finish at least one run this time as opposed to the previous two years where I stalled out pretty quick

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I burnt myself out with ten runs in 2016 so I only did 3 last year, I think I'm good for at least four this summer unless I get Zerked to hell in my first run.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

What's a forbidden run? I can't find the description for it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

duck trucker posted:

What's a forbidden run? I can't find the description for it.

That knowledge is forbidden

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Aw yes fiesta time :dance:

I'm super hesitant to blind #regforbidden, I'm probably gonna do my standard #regchaos when I get a chance later.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
This will be my 70th triple crown in a row if successful; I run Chaos but don't want to risk the streak by risking or whateverthehell forbidden is.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I'm tempted by the mystery. Forbidden run it is!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I Forbidden Risked, god help me

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

what could possibly go wrong? :v:

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009
#regForbidden :getin:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/LocalBirdKing/status/1002212586362933248

:getin:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ultrafilter posted:

The fiesta runs between mid-June and the end of August. A lot of us feel that the GBA version is the best one, but really anything other than the PSX release is fine. Don't do a natural run.

I fixed that for you.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hiilai posted:

#regForbidden :getin:

I've only completed one run before, what could go wrong?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nemo2342 posted:

I've only completed one run before, what could go wrong?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It looks like the page on voting for the run isn't up yet. I'm going to pass the time by explaining my intended votes:

Thief: Monk would be the more painful choice here, but I'm already familiar with the speed strats for the Monk earlygame (it was chosen in the 2015 run), and am a little curious how runners will balance speed vs grinding for items with thief. In theory, Thief allows for dashing but I think this doesn't matter in GBA? I'm not sure. Thief gives access to extra items and fleeing from random encounters, but is very poor in combat, especially since I'm assuming that Dance will be used for the Chicken Knife instead of Mug.

Red Mage: All of the other Water Crystal jobs are very strong, outside of Berserker, which I'm not considering since it was chosen last year. Red mage means the run will glide through world 1 after Garula. This would be the same with Time Mage/Summoner, and Mystic Knight would be worse for grinding but still make most other bosses trivial. Lategame, though, Red mage offers little other than Armor and equipped Enhancers.

Bard: I'm interested in seeing speed strats for Bard. The buff songs are absurd if you let them max out, last time I did this my nominally level 26/27 party killed Neo Exdeath before he got an attack off. It's likely that instead of doing this runners will just Hide from Almagest instead, since it takes a long time to really max out the songs.

Dancer: Who doesn't like adding RNG to speedruns? Note that Dancer is better than usual here since Thef can steal Lamia's Tiaras in world 1.

e: Voting page just went up!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Well, let's see what FORBIDDEN is all about! Not going to risk with it, though.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013
Well, well, well.

I've never ˇFIESTA!'d before but gently caress it. #regForbidden #BERSERKERRISK

:getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FreeKillB posted:

It looks like the page on voting for the run isn't up yet. I'm going to pass the time by explaining my intended votes:

Thief: Monk would be the more painful choice here, but I'm already familiar with the speed strats for the Monk earlygame (it was chosen in the 2015 run), and am a little curious how runners will balance speed vs grinding for items with thief. In theory, Thief allows for dashing but I think this doesn't matter in GBA? I'm not sure. Thief gives access to extra items and fleeing from random encounters, but is very poor in combat, especially since I'm assuming that Dance will be used for the Chicken Knife instead of Mug.

Red Mage: All of the other Water Crystal jobs are very strong, outside of Berserker, which I'm not considering since it was chosen last year. Red mage means the run will glide through world 1 after Garula. This would be the same with Time Mage/Summoner, and Mystic Knight would be worse for grinding but still make most other bosses trivial. Lategame, though, Red mage offers little other than Armor and equipped Enhancers.

Bard: I'm interested in seeing speed strats for Bard. The buff songs are absurd if you let them max out, last time I did this my nominally level 26/27 party killed Neo Exdeath before he got an attack off. It's likely that instead of doing this runners will just Hide from Almagest instead, since it takes a long time to really max out the songs.

Dancer: Who doesn't like adding RNG to speedruns? Note that Dancer is better than usual here since Thef can steal Lamia's Tiaras in world 1.

e: Voting page just went up!

This is actually compelling, and Bard allows for a triple crown if donations get high enough. I may through my :20bux: x5 at it.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Hey Kyrosiris, you still need to fix the link to Sulla's page in the OP.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Red Mage is surprisingly good in low level runs because they can apply almost every status in the game. Sleep + Dance works on a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect it to as well (Dance never breaks Sleep). Still, most water jobs are relatively strong, I wouldn't even say no to 1 berserker.

I voted for this -RM +MK. Have fun with Shinryu suckers!

derra fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 31, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DGM_2 posted:

Hey Kyrosiris, you still need to fix the link to Sulla's page in the OP.

Yeah, my bad. I had it fixed in the 2017 thread but used an older thread template for this year and :downs:.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I'm sold on everything on that list but Thief. Personally I'd like to see a White Mage start instead.

Although I do think a recent Run had Dancer? I just remembered the Bare-Fisted Sword Dances being legit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

agradine posted:

I'm sold on everything on that list but Thief. Personally I'd like to see a White Mage start instead.

Although I do think a recent Run had Dancer? I just remembered the Bare-Fisted Sword Dances being legit.

White Mage was last year's Wind job, which comes at a massive 3000 vote penalty. Thief makes sense so they can have quasi-reliable Dancers via early Lamia's Tiaras.

And yeah, the infamous The Run (where .dd and running the numbers and etc.) had Dragondarch with Dancer.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Yeah, Dancer's been in previous runs. I'm less concerned about repeats for Earth Crystal jobs since there are only four of them. Samurai is the only job not represented in the last three years of The Run, and I'm not terribly interested in choosing Samurai. Samurai ends up being kind of one-dimensional in terms of what it adds to the party, namely Gil Toss. Casually, it's a really nice 'I win' button for otherwise tough fights, but in a speedrun setting it is a bit underpowered UNLESS you have a way to boost your levels artifically (Chemist or Hero's Rime), in which case it loops around to super broken OP.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

derra posted:

I voted for this -RM +MK. Have fun with Shinryu suckers!

Oh my god I would pay to watch them Zombieflect Shinryu in real time. :allears:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

White Mage was last year's Wind job, which comes at a massive 3000 vote penalty. Thief makes sense so they can have quasi-reliable Dancers via early Lamia's Tiaras.

And yeah, the infamous The Run (where .dd and running the numbers and etc.) had Dragondarch with Dancer.

Weird, I must've totally spaced in missing that on the voting page (and it's possible I just missed last year's run due to lack of DD shenanigans). I may re-vote with a donation later.

Looks like the Goon slate has taken an early lead.

e: Except Geo anyway. Bards never get enough love :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't forget this is the first year with the GBA translation ported to the SNES romhack.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Rirse posted:

Don't forget this is the first year with the GBA translation ported to the SNES romhack.

I might have to go find that one.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3687/

Have fun.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I HAVE REGGED IN A FORBIDDEN MANNER

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Over the course of way too many zerks and red mages, I have become a tiny scared baby. I'm sorry, fiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack

Leraika fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 31, 2018