Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Since you have a way of damaging him, yes, but it's basically brute force and hoping for as few encircles as possible. If it's the GBA version, you can reflect ring 3 party members and leave one in reflected and it shouldn't trigger his counterattacks. I think it's the GBA version, at least.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, that's very much a "you can, but do you really want to?" team.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Since you have a way of damaging him, yes, but it's basically brute force and hoping for as few encircles as possible. If it's the GBA version, you can reflect ring 3 party members and leave one in reflected and it shouldn't trigger his counterattacks. I think it's the GBA version, at least.

Can you do that but also throw a coral ring on the person taking thundagras so the face?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

havenwaters posted:

Can you do that but also throw a coral ring on the person taking thundagras so the face?

No, because if it doesn't damage the victim in some way then Omega will counter you.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kyrosiris posted:

No, because if it doesn't damage the victim in some way then Omega will counter you.

Correct. Best you can do is a piece of Diamond gear which will halve the damage.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Avoid Aegis shields for the same reason on the poor sap. Diamond equipment halves Thunder damage. Being lots of elixirs.

There are parties that can't beat Omega (although I'm at 79 triple crowns in a row at this point)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bregor posted:

Correct. Best you can do is a piece of Diamond gear which will halve the damage.

So I need one guy with a Flame ring and diamond gear to suck up Thunder damage (and I can drop Firagas on him for healing) and 3 guys with reflect rings to bounce Thundagas off of?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You are going to want Hermes to help keep up and throw Elixirs, generally. Just pick her off the ground if she's rayed.

Edit just saw you have a zerker, so yeah she should have the flame ring.

Can Gladiators equip the Masamune? If so, have them use the Masamune on Omega to reflect haste back on to your party to keep up with Omega's speed and toss Elixirs.

derra fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 30, 2018

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

derra posted:

You are going to want Hermes to help keep up and throw Elixirs, generally. Just pick her off the ground if she's rayed.

Edit just saw you have a zerker, so yeah she should have the flame ring.

Can Gladiators equip the Masamune? If so, have them use the Masamune on Omega to reflect haste back on to your party to keep up with Omega's speed and toss Elixirs.

Nah, samurai swords are one of the few weapon types that Gladiators can't use

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Played Octopath Traveler for a bit while on vacation, then remembered it was 4JF season and figured I'd really just rather play Final Fantasy. Rolled up White Mage for my first job, which is what I got a couple of years ago. Super annoying start but overall a pretty good Wind job to have along the way. Definitely not looking forward to trying to luck my way through Garula but it'll be fine, right?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Garula is easy but boring with white mage, unless you're super low level (below about seven). Your goal is just to outlast him with your healing while one character plinks away with the flail (attacking with other characters is generally not worthwhile once his counters kick in). Make sure to keep everyone in the back row, and defend to reduce incoming damage with your nonattackers if nobody needs immediate healing. You have basically infinite healing if you get the Healing Staff in Tycoon, but this isn't really necessary.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Can't you zombify the useless zerker so you don't have to heal them?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

3rd Cannoneer in a row. I think I'm done.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Can't you zombify the useless zerker so you don't have to heal them?

Should work, equip a weak dagger.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

3rd Cannoneer in a row. I think I'm done.

Oh no, a free triple crown, what a pity. :v:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Follow Your Stupid Dreams :siren:

Much like the protagonist of the above comic, throwing away the safety and security of a presumably stable job, loving partner, and the thin veneer of social respectability, you too will throw caution to the wind and make terrible life choices that will most likely sabotage your ability to function in the world at large. Here's how it works:
  1. Have at least two of the following classes in your party: Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon.
  2. You may not have a Blue Mage or a Chemist.
  3. Kill Shinryu.
Accomplish the above and I will donate $10 in your name, up to $200. Do it with all four classes and I'll make it $20. For proof, a screenshot of your party killing Shinryu should suffice.

Ground floor, dragon slayers.

Apparently I just qualified for this.

The dead characters were a Geomancer and a Bard, so I had three out of the four jobs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

derra posted:

Ok, I’ll get in on this. You guys fight too much.

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements:

1) Triple Crowns
2) with a total party level under 100 and
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30.

Include a screenshot of your final levels!

Samuel Clemens, Huzzah!, berenzen, Saigyouji, blakelmenakle, Mega64, Orange Fluffy Sheep**, Cattail Prophet

I think I make the max here! This is by far my lowest clear of FF5 ever, my previous best was around 31.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Final (probably) one, my Randomizer :toxx: run!

Here's my classes:

Doom Goon posted:

Ninja w/ !Catch. Skill 0: !Summon 1, Skill 1: !Flirt, Skill 2: !Summon 3, Skill 3: !Revive, Skill 4: !Control

Summoner w/ !Mug. Skill 0: Sprint, Skill 1: !Mineuchi, Skill 2: !White 4, Skill 3: !Flee, Skill 4: !Zeninage

Samurai w/ !Steal. Skill 0: Light Step, Skill 1: !Black 2, Skill 2: !Spellblade 4, Skill 3: !Dance, Skill 4: Equip Ribbon

Monk w/ !Gaia. Skill 0: HP +10%, Skill 1: !Lance, Skill 2: !Focus, Skill 3: !Spellblade 5, Skill 4: Equip Harp

Thundaga dual-wielding Ninja saved the day here on Omega! Also, with my learning Equip Ribbon, ease of stealing (Bone Mails, although Red Shoes would've worked), and with my classes I was able to do the equipment inheritance bug to get everyone immune to Omega's Delta Attack Stone and counter Confuse. Well, at least until having to revive anyone.

Tried to use !Capture, to highlight the wacky class mixups, on a spore Unknown (or Rock Slug) to get Slow but unfortunately it's useless or close enough as Release uses the captured enemy's level. I would've had to have grinded more even if that wasn't the case though. Same with getting Mighty Guard from a Crystelle, just no real easy way for my classes to do 1 or 2 HP damage as Crystelle is Heavy. I even tried "linking" Bio and Capture together (which sometimes you can do during an enemy attack or other interrupt) but with 3 HP it was just slightly too little time barring something wacky happening. However, at least the !Control learnable made for a real easy way to get Float on everybody which was super nice.

Also, I threw the Config window color into random.org and got R5, G2, B1 which turned out to be a very pleasant palette through the run!

Might do a couple other Four Job Fiesta-related things before it's over, we'll see.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 31, 2018

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Will probably be the last run I do this year, but Popular MYS / BRD/BRD BLU/ RDM. I was also running the balance patch. Rolled a second Bard and I job faired it, as I hate duplicates and wanted to see something. Ended up with Blue Mage just to put the cherry on top of this team. I wrapped up around level 28, which was mostly due to statue grinding to unlock everything. Could have cut it short and left out Spellblade and Dualcast for everyone and maybe went under 25, but it was something I could do while waiting for queues to pop in Final Fantasy 14.

Thoughts running the Balance Patch: (I patched it then Music patch and found a Gameshark all jobs code to unlock everything immediately, so I think the RDM changes got messed up).
- Think Red Mage is strong in World 1 as-is? Add Slow and Haste to it and watch it carry itself to relevance until you get Hermes Sandals. Haste and Slow cannot be overrated in terms of their usefulness. Nearly everything is vulnerable to it (assuming you can get past its Magic Evade later on), and basically quadrupling your action count is loving busted.
- For whatever reason my Red Mage started with !Dualcast and access to !Time3, but to get !White 4/!Black 4 I needed to equip those particular skills. Reading the changelog, its probably something with how I patched/gameshark code. It made a prety big difference and basically meant Red Mage kept White 4 equipped till I got Mighty Guard.
- Potions at 100 HP are super useful, High Potions at 800 were basically a full heal for this team. Ethers at 100 MP also help when Mighty Guard is at 72 MP for my one character who didn't have a gold hairpin.
- Silver Harp & Dream Harp changes are great. It gave me a reason to actually attack with my Bard.
- Regen changes were also strong. It was around 200 hp a tick end game, which when you have 800 HP, is a pretty big jump in usefulness. That was prior to my bard singing us to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan where it ended up being a full heal per tick. Not that it mattered as I think NED took maybe one action. Having a Bard to cast it party wide made somehow made that class even stronger.

Its not my first time running this patch (as I did it when I ended up with a DRG/Berse/rker/DRG run), but having a couple of classes that got major changes made me want to try it again. Certainly made it a lot easier and made Red Mage carry its weight.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Follow Your Stupid Dreams :siren:

Much like the protagonist of the above comic, throwing away the safety and security of a presumably stable job, loving partner, and the thin veneer of social respectability, you too will throw caution to the wind and make terrible life choices that will most likely sabotage your ability to function in the world at large. Here's how it works:
  1. Have at least two of the following classes in your party: Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon.
  2. You may not have a Blue Mage or a Chemist.
  3. Kill Shinryu.
Accomplish the above and I will donate $10 in your name, up to $200. Do it with all four classes and I'll make it $20. For proof, a screenshot of your party killing Shinryu should suffice.

Ground floor, dragon slayers.

This still on? earlier on I tripled crowned with Red Mage and Dragoon (Knight and Ninja tagging along)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Run #3: Pure Chaos — Bard / Black Mage / Chemist / Beastmaster

Man, this run was simple. Seriously, the hardest thing was loving Garula. After that I don't think I fought many random battles except for farming a few rods and lots of turtle shells and dragon fangs. Triple Crown was pretty straight forward. Romeo locked Omega and reflected Thundagas with a Black Mage on drugs, berserked/blinded Shinryu and smote him with my Apollo Bard, and sang songs on Treedeath to get swole enough to steamroll NED. I think NED only got off one Delta Attack and that was it. Ho hum.

I think that's it for me for this Fiesta, definitely would have pre-registered my first run for something different if I knew Popular gave duplicate jobs. Cannoneer was fun as hell though, and so was this run just for the pure joy of wrecking poo poo. Anyway, keep on keepin' on, Fiesta brothers and sisters.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Four Job Fiesta is my first time playing FFV. Having a great time so far, except that I'm at the castle escape sequence and I've died twice from the countdown - once because I *had* to open every chest, and two because of that freaking bounty hunter at the gates...

Also, this game feels rather short? I'm sensing that there's a lot more to it than just the four crystals and some nebulous final boss, but I'm racking up jobs quickly and an end seems to be in sight. :thunk:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
There is plenty of game after you unlock all of the (normal, non-Mime, non-GBA) jobs.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

limeicebreakers posted:

Four Job Fiesta is my first time playing FFV. Having a great time so far, except that I'm at the castle escape sequence and I've died twice from the countdown - once because I *had* to open every chest, and two because of that freaking bounty hunter at the gates...

Also, this game feels rather short? I'm sensing that there's a lot more to it than just the four crystals and some nebulous final boss, but I'm racking up jobs quickly and an end seems to be in sight. :thunk:

That's world one of three if it makes you feel better =)

I'm stuck on Exdeath so I'm powerleveling my characters to the upper 40s.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

FreeKillB posted:

There is plenty of game after you unlock all of the (normal, non-Mime, non-GBA) jobs.

Erainor posted:

That's world one of three if it makes you feel better =).

Three worlds - so most of the game is done with your four jobs? Cool. I have White Mage and Spell Knight so far, and I'll get my third job soon after I pound Iron Claw's face into the ground :argh:

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

limeicebreakers posted:

Three worlds - so most of the game is done with your four jobs? Cool. I have White Mage and Spell Knight so far, and I'll get my third job soon after I pound Iron Claw's face into the ground :argh:

Yeah. I started off getting all the chests :byodood: as well, but then you realize that due to the FJF class restriction a lot of items are useless, except to sell...

A lot of things became optional once I got my fourth job.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
My fourth run is a Regular Pure Chaos with Berserker/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Thief, and I couldn't love it more.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

limeicebreakers posted:

The point where you get your fourth job is only about a third of the way through the game.

Protip for Iron Claw: Kill the soldier before killing all the dogs and he won't transform

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The only must haves are the Elf Cloak/Elven Mantle and Hunting Knife/Main Gauche. No reason not to grab the money though, and it's usually not a bad idea to grab the Ribbon on the off chance you roll Dancer. Esuna isn't a big deal, you can buy it a little bit later.

Mountaineer posted:

Protip for Iron Claw: Kill the soldier before killing all the dogs and he won't transform

Yeah, there's no reason to trigger that transformation unless you're rolling a Blue Mage, as there's a nice spell they use that Blue can't get until a decent bit later.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
But, but, my bestiary!

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Dragonatrix posted:

But, but, my bestiary!

^ :colbert:

But seriously, thanks for the tips and resources, guys. Might speed through the castle and fight Iron Claw to see how long that takes me first, then reset and do a last runaround to pick up as many items as I can.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 3, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've beat FF5 like ten times and I'm still not sure I've faced every single non-bonus dungeon enemy in the game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I've beat FF5 like ten times and I'm still not sure I've faced every single non-bonus dungeon enemy in the game.

I know the ocean holds many mysterious monsters Ive never fought.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

limeicebreakers posted:

^ :colbert:

But seriously, thanks for the tips and resources, guys. Might speed through the castle and fight Iron Claw to see how long that takes me first, then reset and do a last runaround to pick up as many items as I can.

you can also just beat iron claw then walk back into the castle to go get more items

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

fits posted:

you can also just beat iron claw then walk back into the castle to go get more items

Oh, really? Just assumed the game would railroad me into escaping. Sweet

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mega64 posted:

I've done that before, and it's really only for completionists. Why? One simple reason:

Nasgate posted:

I know the ocean holds many mysterious monsters Ive never fought.

This. The 16x16 block in the very southwest corner of the world three map has a couple not particularly common encounters that only show up there. Want to go hunting? Hope you don't accidentally sail over the invisible barrier, or you're just wasting your time.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I'm level 12/13 and have MK / White / Dragoon / Dancer

Is there any way for me to cheese Manticore? Aqua Breath / Frost kills White / Dancer in one hit

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

derra posted:

I'm level 12/13 and have MK / White / Dragoon / Dancer

Is there any way for me to cheese Manticore? Aqua Breath / Frost kills White / Dancer in one hit

He's not immune to flirt.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, there's no reason to trigger that transformation unless you're rolling a Blue Mage, as there's a nice spell they use that Blue can't get until a decent bit later.

Honestly the only time I use that spell anyway is against randoms (which you can run from), Archaeoavis, and Manticore.

So basically if you don't get it from Iron Claw then you'll never use it, since the next opportunity is after those bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You don't use it on the Seal Guardians, Dragon Pod, or Enkidu? Why?