Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How'd I miss this thread until now.

Anyway I've got a new host for my FF5 stuff and I'm tweaking it whenever I have time and energy. Includes a boss guide, a comprehensive status effect guide that shows which job can inflict what, a guide that lists every enemy drop and steal available in the game, and a way-too-comprehensive Blue Magic guide that lists every possible source you can find Blue Magic from. And since I'm crazy I'm always adding more stuff to it.

Fiesta hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can somewhat easily solo the game with 2/3’s of the jobs, to be fair.

Anyway both Black Mage and Summoner suck because they don’t have half the fashion sense of the Geomancer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

You do have to be real powerful to fight evil while still wearing pyjamas, that's true.

Wish someone would tell that to the Geomancer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thief is in the same boat as White Mage and Bard, solid support character but complete crap by themselves until late game.

But that’s why you get three other jobs! Of course, now I’m picturing a Thief/WM/Bard/Geo run...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nonsense! You have a Thief with !Mug and Chicken Knife, a Bard to make everyone a badass and... and two healers.

Yeah, in World 3.

What about Soul Cannon? Or Atomos? Or hell, Adamantoise?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There’s some thing with Dual-Wielding where if the second attack does 0 damage, Omega ignores its counters.

I’m kinda curious if that extends to other bosses, where you can bypass counters (or possibly even form changes, like say, Archy) with a Ninja by doing 0 damage with your second attack.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Per asking eLmaGus on his stream just now, the runners for this year's The Run will be:

eLmaGus/jenja23/Yagamoth/:siren: the one and only DRAGONDARCH :siren:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Huzzah! posted:

but the question is, will he go 24 hours without sleep before the race again?

I will be impressed if he can top his last run of running some convoluted scheme to set up "Death By Math But Different" only to wipe to a Moldwynd in the Wind Shrine and be forced to restart the entire game because he forgot to save.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

I thought he got blacklisted last year. Am I misremembering, or was that just not real?

Nah, he took last year off due to personal stuff. Honestly glad he's back to run this year, and only 50% because of schadenfreude.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

derra posted:

WM Byblos isn't too bad, even. Kill 3 of your own guys, whack yourself with a Healing Staff until Byblos is out of MP, revive and whittle him down. How is that a pain vs grinding to beat Sandworm / Soulcannon / NED?

To be fair though you’re a god drat Fiesta Machine compared to us mortals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Do what we do in the Discord and roll teams and theorycraft with them without actually playing them.

Unlucky7 posted:

I want to make a pledge for this year, like $15 or $20 for an unfinished run, $10 for a finished run, but...is offering more for an unfinished run bad form?

Nah, it’s charity, pledge however you want.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Current Frontrunner is Thief/MK/Geo/Dancer

The other three have synergy with each other, but Geo looks even more useless than usual. What ability would you even give them?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's probably safe to Twohand at least until you get the Aegis Shield. After that, it's more whether you want to play defensively for stuff like W2 Exdeath/NED or go full offensive to burn things down, depending on team, playstyle, etc.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:discourse:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I freaking love whips. Give me all the drat whips.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ramc posted:

Hello FFV thread. I just wanted to share a little update from an old Mega64 thread. You may remember the Lets Play Final Fantasy With a 3 Year Old run from a few years back- The archive of the thread is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724860 and if you don't have archives you should buy them for Lowtax's bandwidth spine, there are a lot of good gimmick runs in that thread.

Anyway, what is this kid up to now?

:3:

Haha, that’s awesome!

I finally got off my lazy butt and submitted the whole thing to the LP Archive, so hopefully it’ll be up any day now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Berserkers are a privilege, not a right.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

So which one of you just dropped like $2.5k on the fiesta? In one swoop we pretty much went from 1 zerk for every two riskers to a guaranteed zerkerbro.

InfernoBlade posted:

I didn't want to decide the run this year, and I may have given RPGLB enough to buy a new car this year, but I felt the need to water the berserker tree a bit before the run starts tomorrow. So I threw in ~$2500 and change to bring it up to a nice even 5k.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you go to your player page and click the WRONG button you can unlock your first job right now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Crystals just racking up bodies on this run.

DD was the only one not to wipe to the Crystals.

Of course it also took him like ten minutes to beat it but hey, it's still impressive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

OBS Studio is recommended.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ahaha, Wind job is Berserker and I didn’t even Zerk risk. :black101:

Also I wussed out and switched to Pure Chaos after that forboding Forbidden Warning. Maybe next run.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rolled Berserker/Summoner/Monk/Chemist.

The biggest challenge will be finding a way to make Monk useful before I can stuff her full of drugs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You're pretty much right. It seems crappy because a Blue Mage has horrid Strength, but on a job like Knight it's really nice, especially with Excalipoor or the Brave Blade. I guess the only issue is you can't crit with Gunch, but very few weapons crit anyway so it's no biggie.

Also it gets boosted by Power Drinks, which is the only thing Power Drink affects due to a bug.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Monk on Drugs dealt 5k a punch to W2 Exdeath.

I can't believe I have a run where Monks Are Good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Good Steals for your party:

* Hi-Potions from Poltergeist on the Steamship if you need some healing before Regole.
* If you haven't done Ronka Ruins yet, the Killer Bow is a rare steal from Ghidra. If you have, it's too late sadly.
* Twin-Lances from the Statues in Bal Basement. Thief and Ninja can use those.
* Hayate Bow is the rare steal from Poison Eagles in Drakenvale. They're the "proc !Rapidfire" bows.
* You can steal Reflect Rings from Carbuncle and Reflect Mages instead of grinding from Reflect Knights.

Out of time but here's the complete guide I wrote.

Also did a guide for Blue Magic though it's a bit overkill. I'd at least get Vampire, L5 Death, and Goblin Punch. L5 Death in particular makes grinding the statues in Bal Basement significantly easier.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

jaclynhyde posted:

Know what, I'll get onto the toxx train.

:toxx:

I just played FFV outside the Fiesta for the first time, and getting to and beating Leviathan was still a giant pain in the rear end. So in the interest of making everyone suffer with me, I'll donate $5 for everyone who defeats Leviathan, up to $50.

:toxx:

Decided to do it without !Mix and had to rely on clutch Berserker rolls. Well, I say "rely" but my Berserker was making GBS threads out massive damage so I knew she'd take care of business.

It's also convenient because I have Chemist and Summoner, meaning I can actually take advantage of Leviathan! That said, I have other plans for NED...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Four's recommended since W2Exdeath has a ton of nasty attacks and they help tremendously in surviving Phase 2 where he spams -ga spells. It really depends how confident you are in making GBS threads out damage (which probably won't be a problem with your party) and healing (which is definitely a problem with your party).

Also there's this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wPKj7NKrwk

Got a Triple Crown with Berserker/Summoner/Monk/Chemist. This team gels surprisingly well with each other. Chemist loves Summoner's Magic stat for making out, while Summoner loves making Leviathan useful and the extra MP. Berserker loves that Summoner Magic stat for Rune Axe destruction, and Monk loves Equip Axes and !Mix so that they can be useful. Just a solid team all around, had fun with this group outside the random encounters being cruel and getting some bad luck with wipes fleeing from everything.

Another successful Fiesta.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Wait a second, that Chemist isn't punching!

I forgot to unequip the Chicken Knife. :negative:

Also it took fifteen minutes of buffing that I don’t really want to repeat so

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can...if your entire party isn’t Berserk.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Give Geo !Dualcast when you get it.

Also I'm sorry.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Edward_Tohr posted:

This is probably the worst idea I've ever had.

oh no

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Most strats for Chemists break down to "use drugs to make out".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's also the Job Fair too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Either go for broke on offense with Flare Sword Rapidfire plus Dance plus Apollo, or have three Zombies with Reflect Rings with the Bard Hiding and let Shinny Atomic Ray himself to death (very slowly).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

When you reach the Ship Graveyard, immediately go south down a bunch of rocks to get a much-needed weapon upgrade, the Flail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Beastmaster / Thief / Dancer / Blue Mage. World 1 has been...interesting, especially the whole Ronka Ruins arc. Rocket Launchers, Clapperclaw, and to a lesser extent Soul Cannon were interesting experiences. A real shame I missed out on White Wind. Then again, the trade-off was getting W1 Lamia's Tiara, so it worked out.

Also, theoretically I can tackle the GBA bonus dungeon! Whether I want to is another story entirely, as I've never done it before.