Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My goal every year is to surpass the amount of runs I did the previous year. Is it sustainable? No probably not. I will also be streaming at least some of my runs so everyone can laugh at my incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Every time I'm reminded of the mobile/Steam versions, I get upset again. Everything looks amazing EXCEPT the character sprites.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Please join us on the Discord! We discuss lots of things, pester CarbyBot to give us Pure Chaos teams we can complain about, and OFSheep/Kyro tell us how wrong our knowledge and strats are!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I was playing around with a randomizer to choose 4 random classes for the original FF1, and it gave me Black Belt, Black Belt, Black Belt, and Back Mage. :black101:

So the Back Mage does the heavy lifting?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't be cruel
:smith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My guess: using the forbidden tag means you can't get the really strong classes like Chemist and Samurai.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 25, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When people refer to the Thief's Dash, are you talking about auto running on the field instead of holding a button? The GBA version has that too. Not to mention that you can fast forward through your running battles to speed up CK powering way faster than the mobile version.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Thief is in the same boat as White Mage and Bard, solid support character but complete crap by themselves until late game.

But that’s why you get three other jobs! Of course, now I’m picturing a Thief/WM/Bard/Geo run...

Nonsense! You have a Thief with !Mug and Chicken Knife, a Bard to make everyone a badass and... and two healers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, in World 3.

What about Soul Cannon? Or Atomos? Or hell, Adamantoise?

We're having dual conversations here and Discord. I'll give the same answer I gave there:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think the best I managed was about half power, when I had a team that wasn't conducive to random battles.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

I know that's one of his dumb quips but I forget the context. Aegis/Flame Shield or something else?

That one is referring to opening a chest with a Dragon Fang, then hulking out because he didn't notice, and assumed it wasn't there at all. This is because he didn't sleep for 24 hours beforehand.

He once had to let the Aegis Shield burn, to get the Flame Shield, for reasons.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

:siren:Oh, there's a newish glitch for FFV GBA to dupe items if you're into glitching and have a Beastmaster. Unfortunately the wiki that had all those bugs and stuff has been down for awhile so you'll have to make due with this video.

This is great. Really opens up some job combinations to be slightly less useless if they can all use the Chicken Knife. Granted, you already have Beastmaster so it's more of a time saver.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

So since I actually have a decent paying job this year, my usual "10 cent per speed trap victim" pledge is A) not going to have an upper limit, and B) is also going to include "1 cent per snapped rod", so if you wanna see me donate a bunch of money at the end of the Fiesta, make sure you report these in Discord. :v:

We discussed it in the Discord and I'll let the thread know too; whatever Kyro donates for this, I'm going to match. Snap some rods, run the ruins on Fast Forward only!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I see this thread every year and I'm thinking maybe this time I should take that as a sign. I've enjoyed a couple FF games over the years (favorite being 4) but only ever completed one mainline game (7).

What's the timeframe for FJF? Is there an end date? And what's the current recommended version to play? I would likely be playing mostly on my phone instead of working. My original plan was to emulate the GBA version for controller support when not at work but I'm still hesitant.

Like ultrafilter said, most of us go with the GBA version. Despite some sound and lag issues, it's probably the best version and has a good translation. Make sure you get the patches; the Discord has people that can help you out if you get stuck.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 17, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Misapplied Healing Staff still isn't as embarrassing as X-Potioning Omega.

Not that I've ever done that.

Theoretically, if someone did do this, would it fully heal Omega or only do 9,999?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Better yet, go here, and avoid Discord.

The Discord is cool and good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Current Frontrunner is Thief/MK/Geo/Dancer

The other three have synergy with each other, but Geo looks even more useless than usual. What ability would you even give them?

Probably just !Dance and hope for Swords Dance on fights where you don't need an item bot :shrug:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I highly doubt Forbidden is just no jobs, or it wouldn't work with #BERSERKERRISK. I could always be wrong though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Classtoise posted:

I mean if it's Only Freelancer, it also snatches title for "Literally the Worst Run" from Natural with a No Contest victory.

If you define "worst" as "boring", sure. Freelancers even without secondary abilities are strong. Triple Crown strong, I don't know.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Classtoise posted:

Don't they get literally zero abilities, though? The game just becomes "Hold A until you win".

It's Berserker with better targeting, at that point, only you can be confused. And since you don't master anything, don't its' stats stay fairly middling to low?

Any weapons and armor is nice but 4 Death Sickles is kind of a poor comparison to actually being able to hit weaknesses at full damage, or heal.

You also get rods. Full armor and weapons is a hell of a thing. You're going to have to think about some battles, and properly prepare for them, without a lot of room for error. It's not that hard but certainly not Hold A To Win easy, unless your A is on a pile of rods.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

THE RUN is live and can be found here:

https://www.twitch.tv/rpglimitbreak

I thought the festivities were going to start tomorrow so this is a welcome thing. Are jobs getting sent out after the run concludes?

Typically, yes. Depending on the time, it could take up to an hour or so for the floodgates to be opened, then the usually flurry of lag and Twitter restrictions before everything is sussed out. AFAIK, RK is in Japan and so his hours are weird. Its entirely possible he would be asleep by the time the run finishes.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 18, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=Joeslop1423

Proof of a Forbidden run! I was going to do an easy TC but my Bard got #VOIDED and with it, my chances of a sane TC.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

For a forbidden risk is seems like I got an easy draw, Knight/Zerk/Chemist/Gladiator. I might to ahead and use the fiesta patch so I can play with the gladiator for a while, even though if I understand how it works correctly it's gonna be busted all game.

Does the gladiator ability dodge the chicken knife flee chance?

Bladeblitz ignores it, Finisher does not. This also means the Dancing Dagger triggers on Finisher which I recommend you don't do unless you want your Finisher replaced by a Mystery Waltz :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Blue Mage is just slightly less broken than Chemist, and requires way less setup and item farming.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

jaclynhyde posted:

Know what, I'll get onto the toxx train.

:toxx:

I just played FFV outside the Fiesta for the first time, and getting to and beating Leviathan was still a giant pain in the rear end. So in the interest of making everyone suffer with me, I'll donate $5 for everyone who defeats Leviathan, up to $50.

:toxx:

I went to get the second Aegis Shield and figured, why not?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Second run done. :toot:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Phew. 3rd Fiesta in as many days.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Part of the problem with the Forbidden run is you can't get your fourth class until after you beat all the tablet dungeons unless you use a patch.

Also no one in that group can steal.

Everyone but a party of Monks and White Mages can steal in World 3.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:toot:

That's five runs and five triple crowns down.

Next run already rolled Chemist :getin:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alright when is the last official day? I can maybe motivate myself to do some more runs, since I have this Chemist waiting for me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Six runs, six Triple Crowns.

Let me just start another run to see what I get, maybe I'll squeeze another in.

Gilgabot, why are you so kind this year?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The donation time limit is today?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

A contract was made.

A contract is fulfilled.

Hell, same.*

*I made my contract when it was 1 cent per rod, unfortunately I can't afford to double it right now. Ten cent speed traps are fine though!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I hope next year we can get a #GBA modifier, including the Necromancer. Or if RK really wants to avoid cheating in jobs for assigned jobs, make Necromancer job fair only.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wow. Within the first two minutes, they use both gay and retard as pejoratives. I assumed this was a ten year old video but nope, published in June of this year.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't understand how the Most Common job set had two while the Least Common had four.

Unless that's The Joke.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to assume "No Magic" means no Magic Command. Whether this is accomplished by never equipping Magicite (hurts a bit but not the end of the world) or just using the honor system to never cast Magic, I don't know.

6 can be broken wide open even without Magic. Cyan is probably the least useful out of the bunch in a no-magic run. Everyone else brings something to the table even if its niche.

Terra - Morph, equips nearly everything in the game. Physical powerhouse.
Locke - Steal/Mug
Celes - Runic can help with certain battles, and is similar to Terra.
Edgar - Tools are very good.
Sabin - Blitz is amazing though less so if you can't boost his Magic power.
Cyan - Sword Tech is slow and near useless, slightly better in the iOS/Steam version.
Shadow - Throw hits hard and gives you access to some elements.
Gau - Unchallenged King Of Everything.
Setzer - Slots can be good if you know how to exploit them to get what you want, otherwise he's just slightly above Cyan.
Strago - Lore has tons of great spells.
Relm - Usefulness increases a lot if you also have Strago, can make some non-boss fights easier. Otherwise not that great without Magic.
Mog - Dances are OK.
Gogo - Depends entirely on the rest of your party.
Umaro - Can lay the physical hurt down, bad idea for fights where you have to be precise with timing and attacks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

agradine posted:

Does anybody else remember the first decade or so of this game's life, when nearly everybody thought Gau was almost entirely worthless?

I thought Locke was the best character in the game because he could Capture FOUR TIMES! I also did the Lete River level up exploit at least once, not knowing how stats worked. Kids are dumb.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

I still think Gau is useless fight me

Sorry I don't fight the mentally incompetent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

agradine posted:

My main party the first time I beat the game was: Celes, Locke, Strago, and Setzer. I would leave Gau and Relm on the flyboat. I was also an idiot pre-teen.

Fun fact: Umaro is a beast when you don't grind and purposefully try to break the game. Jumping too; Dragoon Edgar saved my rear end against Kefka in my last no-grinding playthrough.

I'm 90% sure that Relm has the highest natural magic stat in the game, giving her a place in a low level game. Everyone is a bit better if you allow magic in low level runs but that effectiveness is handicapped by their stats still.