Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

agradine posted:

Posting this link again: my compilation of the changes between the Mobile/Steam port and the GBA version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/comments/8l29r7/differences_between_mobile_iosandroidsteam_and/

tl;dr:
*Most glitches/exploits fixed.
*Classes hit with some version of a nerf bat: Chemist, Time Mage, Blue Mage, and especially Beastmaster
*Classes somewhat buffed: Berserker, Geomancer, Bard
*For Ninjas, Dancing Dagger/Double Lance is the new Double Lance/Chicken Knife
*Bosses are a bigger pain, mostly due to the Heavy tag causing status effects to wear off much quicker, also full-party magic damage splitting not being quite as extreme.
*Also React scripts counter commands and not actions, so good luck against Omega and Rugwizard!
*Enemy sprites look amazing, all other graphics look much worse (though I'll say in general it tends to look better in play than it does in any screenshots I've seen)

There are some other minor changes, but these are the biggest ones you'll most likely encounter

I'd like to add that Double Lance gets the Jump! double damage, putting it on par with the Chicken Knife for damage.
And the buff to magic splitting makes reflecting off your party even more effective
Thief owns because you get Dash all the time

In general, anyone ask me about mobile, I've done all 11 of my Fiesta runs on mobile like a madman. I did 7 last year and plan on topping that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pneub posted:

As a side-bar, Holy Lance already out-damages Chicken Knife with Jump 90% of the time, and you practically get them at the same time. I think Dragoon might be the most pointless Chicken knife user.

I'm Talking about thief. You can't use Twin Lance on Dragoon. Though I will say that a Dragoon with mug and CK is better for random encounters than Holy Lance just because it kills an enemy quicker than jumping. Edit: Also I just looked at my run and the other classes were White and Black mage, so Goon did the most CK damage by a large margin

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 25, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Yes but you cannot fast forward the mobile version, thus setting Flee (or Smoke) to auto-battle is the only reasonable way to power up the Chicken Knife. Honestly in three years I've probably fully powered up the CK maybe three times.

Ive been lucky to get thief pretty much all the time. Especially with getting bm/goon so i could hold a sand bear in place and steal the 4th best spear before beating w1

Similarly thief+zerk for an early gaia hammer.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, in World 3.

What about Soul Cannon? Or Atomos? Or hell, Adamantoise?

Matrix Geo makes Adamantoise a joke. Bard can sleep harp Atomos iirc. Soul cannon would indeed be rather unfun.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not saying it'd be hard, but doing it with such low damage output would be awfully tedious.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm going to donate 5$ for every other madman/woman that beats this game on the Matrix version. And a stacking additional 10$ for a triple crown on Matrix. 50 dollar limit for each, so 100$ total aside from whatever dumb donation incentives I give myself.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Characters are forbidden from using the job of their crystal.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

agradine posted:

On Mobile/Steam you can auto-battle straight through that.

Speaking from experience, the Healing Staff method can still lose.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nasgate posted:

I'm going to donate 5$ for every other madman/woman that beats this game on the Matrix version. And a stacking additional 10$ for a triple crown on Matrix. 50 dollar limit for each, so 100$ total aside from whatever dumb donation incentives I give myself.

Kyrosiris posted:

Third post updated with new toxxes. I guess I know what I'm working on during my lunch break!

Misses me. Or do you just hate Matrix?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Jump sucks because it takes slightly over two turns to do double damage, so it's straight worse dps than just attacking and it leaves your squishies to be more likely to be hit.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Also, doesn't black garb give you magic evasion that Crystal Armor does not?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

If you can do all that other stuff, why would you need to?

It's a pretty big thing to have when the original comparison is Zerker

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ime, Aeroga blows. By the time I got it I had both better single and group target spells/attacks from other classes.it was always faster to just Gunch with Excalipoor and kill one enemy while the others also killed an enemy. Add in that Ethers are a garbage mp restorative. Blue is better off doing status inflictions and mighty guard duty for boses.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
For me I rank it by usefulness vs investment. Ninja has zero investment to get their best abilities since they innately Dual Wield and Throw.

Ranger has to wait a while to get Rapidfire and typically doesn't pick up until W2

Beast is a ton of investment to get the good poo poo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

* Capture Zombie Dragon from Drakenvale
* Save in the ocean where Stingrays show up
* Quicksave glitch to get a Stingray fast
* Release Zombie Dragon to poison Stingray, control it and wait
* If no Dragon Whisker, reset and try again

I'd rather farm a dozen Whiskers than try to get a single Dragon Spear.

you can farm dragon spears by just holding down A and the speed up button on an emulator though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Huzzah! posted:

could be worse, could be knife stealing Famed Mime Gogo's hairpin.

This seems like the worst idea in the world

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

guess I'll go thief, red mage, dragoon and ninja then. Thanks.

Sandbears in W1 have a rare(and only, thank god) steal of the Partisan. The 3rd best spear in the game. Normally you don't get one until the end of W2. Stealing a bunch of double lances will also be nice thanks to Bals Dungeon.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

I lucked way the gently caress out and got one from the first Crystal Dragon the first time I tried to stab it with the Thief's Knife.

Now getting 2 more Aegis Shields on the other hand...

Two? Did you let one burn?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Looks like the donation total is considerably lower right now than it was in previous years. So we might actually see people who signed up for Berserkerrisk not get any Berserkers.

The true risk

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

jaclynhyde posted:

Know what, I'll get onto the toxx train.

:toxx:

I just played FFV outside the Fiesta for the first time, and getting to and beating Leviathan was still a giant pain in the rear end. So in the interest of making everyone suffer with me, I'll donate $5 for everyone who defeats Leviathan, up to $50.

Poque posted:

For each goon who finishes an official fiesta run before I do, I will donate $10, up to $750. To my disadvantage, this is likely to be among my busiest work weeks of the year. Limit two runs per goon.

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack

Bonus Shinryu because it was easy.
Oracle is pretty fun and absurdly powerful, especially with regards to healing. The lowest hp my party healed for was 2500, max was over 6k
Note: Predict doesn't skip NED on Matrix, but it does stutter for a second

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Ho ho ho, you think Mystic Knight is going to improve your damage potential, ha ha ha

I got my drat Cannoneer. It kind of sucks that all three bonus classes have high AP unlocks. Even the Necromancer needs 750 AP to fully unlock. I killed everything to get here, game! There's nothing left to kill!

Oracle gets AP up pretty quick, which when equiped means magic pots give 750 AP

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Black mage is garbage against 4th form which absorbs lightning and immune to ice/fire. 1 Main Gauche and some mage mashers mean you better have skipped frost because lightning+hp leak will outpace your healing. 3rd form has 18 mdef and def so unless you're counting hp/form changes it's pretty likely he'll survive just long enough to frost you.

Ime Berserker is the single best class against Archy, after that it's knight with 2h. Even if he frosts you can out dps him. In terms of magic classes Blu is the best even if you don't kill him with math.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Til my memory is fallable. Maybe I mixd it up because with his mdef vs def in form 4 the knives were faster dps? Or 5th form.

I would take MK over almost all casters though personally even for Archy. The increased survivability more than makes up for a little more difficult first/second form. Basically, id rather have troubles with the weak forms than the strong ones.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

!Condemn is bad and dumb because it doesn't work on anything Heavy, period, and the stuff it does work on is weak as poo poo and can be obliterated in a myriad of other ways anyway. Doom is the only one worth using if it can stick, since it's just an instant kill.

!Predict is bad and dumb because it's numerology bullshit that keys off the last digit of the user's current MP for the skill used and the last digit of every target's current HP for the power of the skill. And it's calculated separately for everyone. So if you don't micromanage the poo poo out of it, you're just as liable to gently caress yourself over with no indication or understanding of why.

At least Oracles make good kissers since they have the highest Magic of everyone.

Eh this isn't really true. I never bothered keeping track of enemy HP and the base atk of the predicts mean you won't really be doing less than 1.5k and will often be doing 3-5k. The real benefit is that the basic loops heal a gently caress tonne so you'll never need to heal. Bonus if you have another class that can keep a different loop.

Similarly, until you have predict, the healing of condemn is nice fire and forget. And while they are pretty weak by w3 standards, you can use the elementals on heavy enemies in between doing useful things or between predicts.

To be clear, the loops are insanely easy to manage and if you gently caress yourself over that means you can't do basic subtraction. Get mp to end in 0, 3mp predict, 7 mp predict, repeat steps 2 and 3. Throw items or condemns in-between if you're hasted.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

No, see, that's the problem with Condemn - you can't use it at all on anything that's Heavy.

Matrix is the best version then.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

Alright, :toxx: time. I failed my Risk run last year so:

I will donate $5 (up to $50) for every completed run with a full strength Brave Blade to counter my cowardice in the face of too many Zerks last year. I will double that if you do it without a Knight.

Kashuno posted:

:toxx: I will donate $1 for every mobile run completed where Bartz is named 🍑 up to $75

Between Mix time and dual wield, Zerk was having a good time.
Equip axes makes the ninja throw freight trains
Quick mix is disgusting

I only wish I could have thrown the brave blade.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Reminder that in the flowing sands it's a lot faster to go to the right of the pyramind.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Okay, so, back to this very early thread discussion: I just got to the CK with a Thief and I have run from everything in the entire game up to this point. The Knife's attack is 59. Does it, like, start out with a lower value in the Matrix versions?

You have to run 254 times, which is a lot. Have your thief equiped with flee and auto battle flee from a monster chest in the pyramid.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OzFactor posted:

The comment I was replying to was someone saying that the Knife should be fully powered by the time you get it since you should be running from everything. But I always run from everything and I'm never even halfway there.

Ah gotcha. Yeah idk, could be encounter rates might be lower?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Alxprit posted:

My Chicken Knife was super underpowered but that's because Summoner makes it easy to win annoying fights.

Speaking of which, that turned out to be the class eaten by the void. I'm left with Blue Mage, Dragoon, and Oracle. Gonna be interesting I think.

Between Oracles ability to heal and Mighty Guard I don't think you have anything to worry about. Might even be able to find a good Blu->predict loop to your taste. Looks like without hairpin,starting at xx5 or xx0 mana you can do Rank1 predict->Aeroga ad nauseum for cleanse and divine judgement. Or the same loop with hairpin, just Rank 3 predict(3 mp cost)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Alxprit posted:

Thinking about Omega. With Blue Mage / Dragoon / Oracle my best option for damage is Trident jumps and just constant White Winds to keep the team safe right? Can Predict help me at all?

Cleanse is non-elemental. If you get spergy about it, it can do a maximum of 3000 damage if I did the calculations correctly.
It's not listed on the cheat sheet for Oracle, but IME it also has a chance to stun/stop him. Otherwise its just more healing options.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Oracle's Predict does very little damage to Omega, actually. I've tried.

it was usually doing around 2300 for me, but that's between Matrix possibly doing weird stuff with Oracle and having another source of damage to move his hp of XXXX0

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Arist posted:

Not looking forward to resuming my Forbidden Risk run with Thief/Berserker/Dancer. That's just a recipe for pain.

Idk, you lack multi target, but that really only effects random encounters that you can flee. IMO thief is a pretty lucky job to have with the other two. You can get a tiara or two before Clapperclaw, Gaia hammer from titan, early Twinlance. You have access to instant death for w2 shenanigans and all 3 clases have abilities that the other likes(though sadly they all require mastery)

And since you're forbidden, you are guaranteed a broken class that does aoe

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kashuno posted:

:toxx: I will donate $1 for every mobile run completed where Bartz is named 🍑 up to $75

Detheros posted:

Also withholding my regular donation until I see how much zerkers are gonna be worth (I wont be able to afford 75 this year it looks like :()

However!

I loving hate the brave blade.

Seriously, gently caress this thing.

So if you get a Knight or a Freelancer and Complete a run with a 0 power Brave Blade I will donate 10 dollars per run up to $250, aka 25 completed runs, All I need to see is your NED kill with your Knight/Freelancer and your 0 Power Brave Blade.

Geo carried me up until probably halfway through W2, at which point Ianuki and the versatility of Freelancer did the rest.

Mime was basically just a Samurai with a magic stat, or a worse Freelancer. Though interestingly, if you mimuc Ianuki after it's gone off, you will do it without the charge time.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

agradine posted:

It's hard to overstate the considerable bump in power !Gaia (and by extension Geomancers) get in the Matrix version. Especially in caves/mountains, which make up a good chunk of the early-mid game.

Yeah, if grinding holy staves is your strat for Meatdeath I would want geo on my team. I grinded Ironbacks for Ianuki because it was far easier than statues.

Also of note, sword slap working means you can stun half the enemies in the void. Means I could stun behemoths and use Gaia until they got hit with twister. Or stun lock gorgimeras until I thief knifed them(with thief gloves, yay Free)

Also, Swordslap works with whips. And if the sword slap doesn't "proc" it still has a chance to stun from the whip.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Golden needles inflict instant death on the statues. What's easier than that?

All of my team were slower than almost all enemies. So, for 4/8 abp I could potentially get all but one character(freelancer) stoned. Or I could hold a and crush ironbacks/druids with rocks.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
2/3 chance to get another strong job to replace Xfight

1/3 to get supplemental damage

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Artemis bow is good too, if you've got a ranger. It helps a lot for rushing down the almagest piece of NED.

Ime Yoichi does more damage on average. Msybe the bonus str put up a multiplier.

I don't get the hate for trench, several classes clown on it and you can always evade envounters. The boss is one magic lamp use.

If I have to get mime I do the two dungeons just because they're so easy I don't see why not .

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Can't you zombify the useless zerker so you don't have to heal them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I've beat FF5 like ten times and I'm still not sure I've faced every single non-bonus dungeon enemy in the game.

I know the ocean holds many mysterious monsters Ive never fought.