Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. After four years of Fiesta, I've had just about any job combination imaginable, so the last few runs I did felt more like going through the motions than genuinely enjoying a challenge. :(

Maybe I should try a randomiser mod. There must be a decent one for FFV, right?
*crawls up from under the floorboards of the 2017 Fiesta thread*

Try the extra spicy randomizer, which I quickly cooked up for last year's Fiesta! Drag a GBA ROM onto the randomizer.exe program to get two randomized roms; a Mild randomized ROM and an Extra Spicy randomized ROM. The Mild randomization shuffles each job's skill tree and base skill so you can theoretically get a White Mage with !Rapid Fire, or a Beastmaster with !Call. The Extra Spicy randomization is... a bit more intense. Not only does it randomize skill trees and base skills, it randomizes them per character. You might end up with a Bartz Knight with !Flirt who learns !Chakra, while a Lenna Knight could have !Calm and learn !Summon 5. Spoiler files are provided by the program to help deal with this insanity. Source code here.

Here's an example of an extra spicy ROM I used for playtesting (party of Knight, Samurai, Berserker, Bard.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Probably not, unfortunately. I'll look into making it compatible when I release an update (which will be happening because I just added some neat stuff!!!)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Not exactly relevant to the Fiesta itself, but I've started working on a big addition to my personal patch. Presenting a story in 4 acts:

It's actually a job that randomizes the 3 non-!Fight commands on a per-battle basis.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Is that pretty much complete? Depending on my available time I might try showing it off to the LP Romhack thread before it expired again.
It's about 95% complete; there are no game breaking bugs as far as I'm aware but there are some small tweaks I want to make for this Fiesta season. The two important ones are removing !Kick from the skill options since it's literally useless if you don't have Barehanded and reduce the AP costs in the new trees, and I'll probably add a seeding feature, but otherwise it'll be unchanged.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

You might be running an EU ROM, are you sure it's the right region? And to clarify, the ROM is unzipped (.gba extension) when you run it through the randomizer, right?

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 30, 2018

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

BadMedic posted:

I've got two questions:

1. When is THE RUN starting? I didn't see it posted on the official site or gilgabot's twitter.

2. Did Can of Worms ever update his balance patch? I really enjoyed doing runs with it, but I remember it having a few bugs (mainly instant death not working right).
Yeah, I just pushed out a new update! The instant death bug should be fixed, but there are still some unresolved bugs (main one I'm thinking of is Jumping Berserkers freezing the game, mostly because I haven't replicated it yet.)

Get the latest balance patch (version 0.5) here!. You can find the changelog here and I added some exciting stuff! Here are the highlights:
  • Red Mages get !Dualcast instead of !Red 3 as their default once they learn !Red 3 (i.e. at level 3.)
  • Rangers get !Rapidfire instead of !Aim once they're mastered.
  • Thieves get innate permanent Haste (the same effect as equipping Hermes Sandals.) Artful Dodger also gives this effect.
The patch also includes buffs to Knights, Monks, Dancers, Geomancers, and some miscellaneous things. Enjoy!

Edit:

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's a separate patch by the same author.

Changelog here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g52xshu0juaa2c7/ffvamod-doc.txt?dl=0

CanOfWorms, my friend was going on about how Red Mage should have access to Shields, not necessarily White/Black 4.
I'd rather push Red Mages towards the support option with White 4 (Black 4 is just there for symmetry) and the latest patch adds a few more bonuses to help them there.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 18, 2018

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Zarick posted:

I tried the balance patch someone posted because it seemed like it spiced up some of the jobs that are bad/boring, and it seems neat. Monk is really strong most of the time... !Focus has a 25% chance to cast Rapid Fire. It also seems to have a (somewhat undocumented) chance to just make you waste a party member. Is this on purpose or a bug? I mean it could be on purpose to balance out how wacky Rapid Fire fists are early on but it seemed weird to me.
It's a bug, I'll post an fixed patch later tonight. Sorry!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Behold the ultimate cutie patootie killing machine :getin:

To explain exactly how much damage is stacked on this setup, this is on my hack where berserkers get 3 ability slots, and they can use certain abilities in fight. In this case Krile has two !Dances and an Equip Ribbon, so she'll !Dance 50% of the time. The hack also changes the dancer equipment so it's cumulative, so when she !Dances she has a 75% chance of Sword Dancing

Unfortunately I learned Lamia's Tiara isn't a Dancer equipment, so she can't use Equip Ribbons to wear it and boost it to a 100% Sword Dance. :negative:

Zarick posted:

I tried the balance patch someone posted because it seemed like it spiced up some of the jobs that are bad/boring, and it seems neat. Monk is really strong most of the time... !Focus has a 25% chance to cast Rapid Fire. It also seems to have a (somewhat undocumented) chance to just make you waste a party member. Is this on purpose or a bug? I mean it could be on purpose to balance out how wacky Rapid Fire fists are early on but it seemed weird to me.
Bug is fixed now! Download the updated patch here. Apply to a clean ROM, not a patched ROM. You can continue the game off this, although you may need to load an in-game save instead of a save state.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyw0adpwrydmzac/ffvamod0.5.1.ups?dl=0

The patch also adds two new changes I was working on (not coincidentally timing with my Fiesta Beastmaster):
  • The Blitz Whip (found in Jachol cave, home of Skull Eaters) now has a 20% chance of activating !Release instead of casting Thunder, which normally makes it useless. Unlike regular !Release, monsters released this way are not removed from the character, which means you can live the dream of !Releasing Sand Bears nonstop. I've been having fun using this whip to plow through fights! Turns out there's a catch in World 2 that does +6000 damage (Ironbacks in the Catlebopas/Shoat cave) and a catch in World 3 that does +7000 damage (Cheries in the Phoenix Tower). The Lamias in the Phoenix Tower also cast White Wind so there's a lot of possibilities here...
  • The Chain Whip (available in most stores in World 2) is now a whip that always !Rapidfires. The whip itself has a weak enough base attack that doesn't make this worthwhile on its own, but you could combine it with Dual Wield or something to increase its power...

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 25, 2018

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Rirse posted:

Beat Exdeath in world 2. That was not very fun as every two turns someone died to vacuum wave. Reviving not a issue, as the moment they get a turn they can heal up with the drain blade, but the fact he can use zombie breath and kill half the party and make them zombies was the real lovely part. I only had a single holy water and I don't recall any shops in world 2 selling it.
All the shops in World 2 sell them, each town should have two item sellers (one for the World 1 stuff and one with the new stuff.)

Huzzah! posted:

I downloaded this to try it, and none of the jobs are unlocked at the start. The mod seems to be working cause I have the hero class.
Edit: wait, does the jobs mod not unlock the jobs like the fiesta patch? I might just be confused.
Yeah, the balance mod does not have the job unlock feature.

In the meantime, I just finished my run :toot: Ran balance mod through the paces to discover some amusing glitches, like the !Focus Rapidfire effect transferring to other abilities (Sword Dance and Mug, notably.) The new Blitz Whip was pretty fun, although I ended up making my Beastmaster into a second Dancer with Sand Bears/Iron Backs as my main release since Monk provided most of the support. I ended up building Krile into a Rune Axe Sword Dancing murder machine which was pretty satisfying (and the Sword Dance Rapidfire bug made her absolutely terrifying :stare:) She did save my bacon with a clutch NED kill though! (see screenshot below.) Going to be doing a 750 Extra Spicy run next, since this run felt very no750.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 26, 2018

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

And it could be worse, I was the only person to do my :toxx: (granted, it was a small :1bux:, but the Randomizer is still a cool program)!
I just wrapped up my randomizer run, going to do a write up for it in a few hours after getting food. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Done with my second run! :toot: I did an Extra Spicy run last year, and the main thing I took away is that no750 jobs tend to do fine regardless of what the randomizer gave them since most of their power is in their equipment, so I wanted to get a sense of how 750 jobs fare since they're very reliant on a good ability with a random 750 run (Black Mage/Time Mage/White Mage/Geomancer).

Turns out it's very variable. Faris, for example, had !Iainuki as a Black Mage, which while useful for handling random encounters, made her a dead weight in many boss battles. Lenna's Geomancer similarly had !Control, another skill useless against bosses. On the flip side, Bartz got !Zeninage, which isn't exactly a random encounter friendly skill without lots of money.

The other problem with the randomizer currently is that the skill trees are too expensive, I ended up not getting many useful skills from training and relied mainly on the innate skills to beat the game. Thankfully one of those innate skills was !Mix, which gave me one of the lowest level fiestas ever: Leaving World 1 at level 12/13, World 2 at ~level 17-18 and beating Exdeath at level 22. I did most of the run on the last two days, so I blitzed through the game, barely picking anything up and even fighting Exdeath with only two Hermes Sandals. If my jobs hadn't gotten mix I probably would have been forced to grind out a lot of AP to get useful skills, so that's something to fix for the randomizer next year!