Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Happy to see the thread again. All that FF5 discussion in the megathread a month back or so got me really antsy for fiesta season to start.

Does anyone know the exact weights that jobs are given in popular mode? Or if popular mode is even still gonna be a thing, for that matter? I've got a little project I'm working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

agradine posted:

I'm not aware of any random battles that serve as roadblocks.

It's a good thing summoner is broken in boss battles too, then.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just lol if your chicken knife isn't already at full power by the time you pick it up.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

OK, so this year my goal is to gun for a party with ninja and geomancer in it so I can test out The Silliest Omega Kill, but I wasn't sure whether I was better off going chaos or pure chaos to achieve this. I mathed it out and as it happens, the lack of dupes in pure chaos doesn't quite outweigh the two extra jobs in the pool. Unless you specifically want freelancer/mime, chaos is always slightly better than pure chaos for getting you any given pair of jobs. Then, because I'm a huge math nerd and apparently I have way too much time on my hands, I ran the calculations for all the jobs in just about every mode that I could, and this was the result:

Fiesta Job Combo Probability Tool

It's not very pretty right now, but it should be fully functional. Feel free to let me know if you spot any issues.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

derra posted:

What is the Silliest Omega Kill?

I had to do him with Ninja / Samurai / Samurai / Samurai last year : (

Due to a perfect storm of weird interactions, I'm pretty sure a geomancer (or ninja) dual wielding rune chime and some other bell can always hit and damage Omega without incurring any counters.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maybe forbidden is the inverse of normal? A crystal will never give you one of its own jobs.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ah, screw it, I'll try out forbidden once before slam picking chaos for the rest of the summer. No risk though, I think that's gonna be an every other year thing for me.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The laws of the universe -- mean nothing...

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Angling Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, Fiesta time! Been looking forward to this ever since last year's ended. Going normal again (but risky) to start at least, hopefully this will be smoother than my run last year. Speaking of, got what I hope is a good warm-up challenge.

So I did my first Fiesta run (and run-through of FFV in general) last year, but due to a number of issues I had about 2 weeks to get it done. I know thread-goers can do it better and faster, so I'm issuing...

The Show Me How Its Done Challenge

Before the 20th of June, complete a run with the following jobs:
Wind: Knight
Water: Mystic Knight
Fire: Ranger
Earth: Dragoon

And I'll donate based on bosses defeated:
$5 per Exdeath
$10 per Shinryu
$10 per Omega
Max 10 defeats per boss

:toxx: me.

So I started this up a couple days ago, got to Karnak, everything's going swimmingly. I think to myself: mystic knight makes liquid flame basically free, I don't really need to stock up on potions just yet. I get to the end of the fire ship, and liquid flame is kicking my rear end. OK fine, I could probably stand to have a few more levels anyway. A bit of grinding later, and liquid flame... is still kicking my rear end. What the hell is going on? I revisited things today, and eventually I muddle through, but it takes literally all of the healing I have on hand, elixirs included. I go through the escape sequence, walk back into town, and realize... I forgot to buy the -ra spells. I feel stupid now. I guess I'm showing myself how it's done.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Things a freelancer can do that a berserker (without extra abilities) cannot:

Break rods
Inflict paralyze
Inflict blind
Inflict sleep
Inflict old
Cast every black and white spell in the game
Cast every summon in the game
Cast cura on demand
Cast raise on demand
Cast berserk on demand
Cast haste on demand
Deal effective damage to humans
Deal effective damage to beasts
Deal effective damage to dragons
Wear ribbons
Refresh the mirage vest
...and probably a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall right off hand

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You get two hairpins for free, why do you even need a third? Running out of MP is almost never a legitimate concern in FFV anyway.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Angling Dragon posted:

The Show Me How Its Done Challenge

Too late for a donation, but here's my clears!

I don't think I've ever actually seen the solo Krile ending before. Man, it's a real downer. :smith:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Can confirm, I dropped a save state in front of Shinryu's chest but I didn't use any in the fight itself. You better believe I used one at the beginning of the crystal dragon encounter, though. That said, it got significantly less tedious once I looked up crystal dragon's stat block and discovered that it's vulnerable to sleep.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FreeKillB posted:

I'm not used to using fast forward, but I'm ok with how it turned out. I used a buttload of potions vs garula, w2 exdeath I should have gone for !gaia and ran out of phoenix downs but somehow pulled through. Rare steals suck but the lamia tiara was worth it (on the way to the boss I got a second which let me geodance for bit too). I lost twenty minutes forgetting the lamp entirely, skipped flare sword and never turned in even my one tablet. Somewhat satisfied with the result, although this party is paper-thin enough that I did a bit more grinding than I really needed, ofc.

Huh, it never occurred to me that you could skip turning in the first tablet. Isn't the first visit to the sealed castle what triggers the cutscene of Exdeath talking to the monsters in the rift? What happens if you get all four tablets without turning them in, go all the way to Necrophobe, then back out of the rift and go to the castle for the first time?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ah, my bad.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ok, so I was right. I still want to know what happens if you kill them all and then go back to trigger the scene though. Probably nothing changes but hey, the game does somehow have a flag for "has gone around the world on Boko," so I wouldn't put anything past it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I just got to the water crystal, and the hardest part of forbidden isn't dealing with the GBA jobs, or having one of your jobs locked out in the void. No, the hardest part of forbidden is that if you roll white mage, you have a ~43% chance of having to take 4 white mages through the Karnak 500. I normally take a stance of no treasure left behind, but I'm going to have to make an exception this time. Who needs elixirs with a white mage around, anyway?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Team white mage flailed its way through the Karnak 500! :toot: After several failed attempts, I decided I needed to skip esuna too. Lix isn't that far away, it's not a big deal. Could've peeked at my fire job early to know if it was safe to skip the ribbon instead, but that wouldn't be ~honorable~. (It was safe to skip the ribbon instead.) Even doing that, savescumming to get a solo gigas encounter from the elven mantle chest, and skipping iron claw, I still only had about ten seconds left.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Zerilan posted:

Haven't really fought Omega with very many party combinations. Would a natural ff1 run of Thf/Blm/Whm/Knt have reasonable means of taking him down?

Mayyybe? White mage should make it relatively easy to survive Omega's attack routine, and for offense you can do the "3x reflect ring and thundaga your party" trick to avoid counters. The only issue is that since this is natural, I'm not sure if just one white mage will be able to pick people off the ground fast enough.

Actually, with white mage, it might be better to apply reflect manually and leave the rings at home. That frees up the accessory slot for something like hermes sandals or flame rings and lets you heal/cast shell on people while they're still standing.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If you have summoner and feel obligated to grab all the summons, Phoenix cheeses Wendigo hard because the way its targeting works lets you ignore the gimmick entirely. Probably not worth the detour if you weren't already planning on going to the tower, though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The black flames give pretty solid exp too, which could be either good or bad depending on how you feel about ending up overleveled. Getting enough cash for four flame rings will probably have you end up somewhere in the high 20s, which admittedly isn't necessarily overleveled for some parties, but it is for most at that point.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 27, 2018

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

CeallaSo posted:

#Forbidden #FifthJob

Blue Mage, Ninja, VOID, Gladiator Cannoneer

Blue Mage and Ninja have always been strong pulls, but goddrat did !Combine make short work of anything and everything. I had to make a few return trips from the Void because I kept forgetting things; first I quickly entered and left just to grab White Wind from the White Flames in the Forest area, then I realized I didn't have any Flame Rings for Omega, so I had to fix that, then I remembered that the Berserk Cannon requires Power Drinks and had to go buy those, THEN I remembered that, hahah, you need Coral Rings to survive the Shinryu opener! So I ended up wasting a bunch of time right at the end, probably wasting about an hour running back and forth because I'm an idiot.

But that's it, the run is over. My VOID job was Chemist, so this might have been the easiest run I've ever had. Losing Chemist just after finally getting Cannoneer was heartbreaking, but I got White Wind at the same time, so that softened the blow a bit.

You don't really need coral rings for Shinryu if you're berserking him. Hermes sandals work just fine.

Also you can get white wind from hellraisers in Exdeath's castle.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also random already doesn't give repeats.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I think I was the one who made that comment, and I admit I was exaggerating a little bit, but I definitely feel like if you're diligent about running from things, you should be somewhere north of 100 power when you pick up the knife. 59 seems really low to me. I can think of a few things about my playstyle specifically that might be causing the discrepancy. When I'm doing a grinding session, I usually pick and choose which encounters in the area I'm in that I actually want to fight. I also almost always grab all the treasures in a dungeon regardless of whether I actually need them, which raises the amount of time that I spend running around in dungeons overall.

Or it could be an encounter rate thing, who knows?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

He's talking about his party in general, not the monk specifically. None of those classes have sword access, and you can't use spellblade with katanas for whatever reason, so knives are his only option, period.

...can you use spellblade with the ninja exclusive knives and maneater?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I mean, you could do a natural run with the randomizer, but why would you?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Finally got my first run done. White mage/beastmaster/bardVOID/oracle; a team that was exceedingly safe but also exceedingly slow.

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack

One more forbidden Exodia for the pile:

derra posted:

Ok, I'll get in on this. You guys fight too much.

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements:

1) Triple Crowns
2) with a total party level under 100 and
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30.

Include a screenshot of your final levels!

Samuel Clemens, Huzzah!, berenzen, Saigyouji, blakelmenakle, Mega64, Orange Fluffy Sheep**

And my levels:

Omega got locked down with calm spam and then very slowly cleansing'd to death. If I were smarter I would have saved some yellow dragons to help speed things along, and I also wouldn't have accidentally released one of my birds and undone several cleansings worth of damage. Shinryu got berserked as usual, with a side of berserking my whisker wielder too. NED was tough to pull off without getting more levels, because my dudes were so frail that even with shell up almagest was usually a wipe, but eventually I got a run where two people held on, and I didn't give the piece a chance to get a second one off.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The back piece of NED has always had death immunity. What it lacks is heavy status. Generally, there are two kinds of death effects: those that fail on targets with immunity to death, and those that fail on heavy targets. The assassin dagger proc is the former. Odin (via magic lamp) is the latter.

Then there's level 5 death, which doesn't give a poo poo about either.

E:f;b

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Unless you're bailing out of dungeons early, there's only like five dungeons that teleport is even relevant for. Of those, only drakenvale is required, and the rest include world 3 north mountain, which is short and still has world 1 encounters so who cares, undersea trench, which you have no business being in unless you have a time mage anyway, and phoenix tower, in which case you knew what you signed up for.

Walking out of island shrine does suck, though.

I swapped to time mage to warp out of exdeath's castle once to go confuse some eagles. It now occurs to me that as long as I was cheating I might as well have just cast float instead. I think I might have done some statue grinding too, though.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 25, 2018

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Artemis bow is good too, if you've got a ranger. It helps a lot for rushing down the almagest piece of NED.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ranger is one of the easier physical classes to have to fight Omniscient with because the sheer damage output of rapid fire chicken knife means you only need to land like 7 mage masher procs.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Today I discovered a cutscene that I never knew existed. This loving game.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Jose Valasquez posted:

You gotta tell us which one

On the one hand I'd love nothing more than to do that, but on the other hand I have an idea for a toxx for next year that it'd be a part of and I don't want to give it away. On the other other hand, it wouldn't ruin the whole toxx and there's a long time until next year, so sure.

You know how normally there's a soldier that stops you from entering King Tycoon's room? What if you tried going in at a time where everyone was distracted?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Remember to steal mythril knives from wyverns in the tower!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Golem battle versions of the enemies can still be controlled, right? Even if you don't have a way to damage them without breaking control or hitting Golem too, you can at least shut down one enemy while you focus on taking down the other one.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

poo poo, I was planning on using the 3x reflect ring strat for Omega but I forgot to hold on to a set of diamond gear. Probably should have kept some sage surplices too. I've got enough time to walk back out of the rift, but do I really want to?

E: Wait, I don't have a heavy armor or shield job, so I can only equip one piece anyway. gently caress it, Omega gets to live.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 1, 2018

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Lol Almagest got petrified by a reflected delta attack.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I wonder if it's just gonna be Chrono Trigger again or if RK's got something else planned.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The best part was at the end when they admitted the game was silly enough already that it didn't need a parody.

The worst part was every other part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

No summoning them, though, since you do that through the magic menu. But magicite shards are OK, I guess!