Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Woo let's do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
2016 I chaos'd into a four knight run, so I ran with it and job faired a four time mage run last year. Gotta decide what my single-class one will be this time.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I might've actually rolled the dice to decide on Time Mage :thunk:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

agradine posted:

In what universe is a Summoner preferable to a Black Mage?

all of them

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I will do all summoners for my single job run this year.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

first donation of 2018 :smugdog:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mega64 posted:

Thief is in the same boat as White Mage and Bard, solid support character but complete crap by themselves until late game.

But that’s why you get three other jobs! Of course, now I’m picturing a Thief/WM/Bard/Geo run...

That sounds like a great job roll.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
half of me wants Darch to actually figure out something cool and win, but then the other half remembers that he turns into a big pissbaby when his dumb strategies don't work

this has been my state of mind around May 30 of the past four years

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Chaos Berserker Risk all set!

Oh poo poo I forgot about Forbidden but I'm scared it will make me play on GBA

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I burnt myself out with ten runs in 2016 so I only did 3 last year, I think I'm good for at least four this summer unless I get Zerked to hell in my first run.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if you don't want a berserker then don't berserkerrisk. it's not that hard.

Or do risk + 750, which is an insanely fun combo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Maybe you're forced into the jobs from The Run.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I might drop some for bard, but I just love bard. If RISK is changing to $25 I'd rather do some sort of goon donation instead though

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
At this point I've done like 20+ runs so I just tweet for all my jobs at once.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I had Monk/Berserker at Byblos last season and it wasn't TOO bad. Did a bit of grinding and then just waited until I had a run of good luck with charging up and getting some crits (I think I just killed the berserker). Four knights at Byblos was way more annoying iirc.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Allowing a geomancer to break rods maybe? Not sure. Could be useful for W2 Exdeath if you have a lovely party.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
When I have a blue mage (which has been strangely rare for the number of 750 runs I've done) I always tell myself I'll have fun playing around with the more complicated stuff, and then I always end up just Aeroga spamming once I get AirKnives (or the spell, I can't remember which comes first).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ninja > Jobfair > Ranger > Beastmaster

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ramc posted:

Hello FFV thread. I just wanted to share a little update from an old Mega64 thread. You may remember the Lets Play Final Fantasy With a 3 Year Old run from a few years back- The archive of the thread is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724860 and if you don't have archives you should buy them for Lowtax's bandwidth spine, there are a lot of good gimmick runs in that thread.

Anyway, what is this kid up to now?

:3:

I remember your run! Wasn't he in charge of your jobs the whole time? It was great.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mega64 posted:

If you go to your player page and click the WRONG button you can unlock your first job right now.

oh god you can unlock all four, but it seems to ignore BERSERKERRISK so I would highly advise against this

I got maybe the worst set of jobs I've ever gotten.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's been fixed so hopefully I don't actually have to do Beastmaster/Beastmaster/Dragoon/Samurai!

he's just gonna replace my Samurai with a Berserker

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
:toxx:

For each goon who finishes an official fiesta run before I do, I will donate $10, up to $750. To my disadvantage, this is likely to be among my busiest work weeks of the year. Limit two runs per goon.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Crossposting from Discord, but this seems to officially be what you're getting with a Forbidden run:

It is basically a normal run but the regular jobs have been reassigned between "crystals" to make room for the Earth Crystal being completely dominated by GBA jobs:

Wind: Knight, Monk, Thief, White, Black, Blue, Time
Water: Red Mage, Summoner, Berserker, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Geomancer, Ninja
Fire: Bard, Ranger, Dancer, Dragoon, Chemist, Samurai
Earth: Cannoneer, Gladiator, Oracle

When you tweet #void, one of your non-GBA jobs is getting sucked away. It does not appear to be hitting the Earth crystal.

This explains why so many people are mentioning that they've gotten Time Mage for their wind job - it's the only wind job you can get in Forbidden that is "unusual" according to normal Fiesta rules.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Crossposting from Discord, but this seems to officially be what you're getting with a Forbidden run:

It is basically a normal run but the regular jobs have been reassigned between "crystals" to make room for the Earth Crystal being completely dominated by GBA jobs:

Wind: Knight, Monk, Thief, White, Black, Blue, Time
Water: Red Mage, Summoner, Berserker, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Geomancer, Ninja
Fire: Bard, Ranger, Dancer, Dragoon, Chemist, Samurai
Earth: Cannoneer, Gladiator, Oracle

When you tweet #void, one of your non-GBA jobs is getting sucked away. It does not appear to be hitting the Earth crystal.

This explains why so many people are mentioning that they've gotten Time Mage for their wind job - it's the only wind job you can get in Forbidden that is "unusual" according to normal Fiesta rules.

addendum: If you did berserkerrisk, your berserker appears to be immune to the #void as well.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bufuman posted:

Maybe they didn't actually get a BR Berserker but got assigned Berserker as their water job normally?

If the rules as we know them hold true I'm in for rough shape, I'm Knight/Zerk/Chemist/Oracle, so I'd keep Zerk and a class I have no idea how to use effectively, and losing either a solid physical unit (and the only unit that could get the Brave Blade) or Chemist, which would kiss any chance of a Triple Crown goodbye.

Wait, do we at least get to still use the VOID class's abilities? If I had to give up 2H Zerk that might be rough, and losing !Mix even more so.

Nope, it's as though the voided class doesn't exist at all.

Don't forget to post your winning screenshots here for the purpose of toxxes!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It took 16 hours.

please add to OP, this is beautiful

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

derra posted:

Berserker Ninja start.

What level do I have a chance on Liquid Flame?

I did it at 22 this year on my second try and nobody was dead. You can probably start trying around 17-18 to see if you get lucky.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FreeKillB posted:

Posting this win in part since I think a 'any win before my first win' toxx is still active.

Sure is! I see 7 completed runs for $70 so far (Admiral Joeslop, derra, Orange Fluffy Sheep, berenzen, Blue Link, Saigyouji, and you). Hoping to make more progress tonight.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mega64 posted:

Good Steals for your party:

* Hi-Potions from Poltergeist on the Steamship if you need some healing before Regole.
* If you haven't done Ronka Ruins yet, the Killer Bow is a rare steal from Ghidra. If you have, it's too late sadly.
* Twin-Lances from the Statues in Bal Basement. Thief and Ninja can use those.
* Hayate Bow is the rare steal from Poison Eagles in Drakenvale. They're the "proc !Rapidfire" bows.
* You can steal Reflect Rings from Carbuncle and Reflect Mages instead of grinding from Reflect Knights.

Out of time but here's the complete guide I wrote.

Also did a guide for Blue Magic though it's a bit overkill. I'd at least get Vampire, L5 Death, and Goblin Punch. L5 Death in particular makes grinding the statues in Bal Basement significantly easier.

I don't know how much the magic stat increases with Blue Mage (or equipping !Blue) but in general, adding magic to a Ninja or !Throw to a mage makes throwing elemental scrolls incredibly powerful.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Better than punching it for a max of 100 damage on a crit....

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

For each goon who finishes an official fiesta run before I do, I will donate $10, up to $750. To my disadvantage, this is likely to be among my busiest work weeks of the year. Limit two runs per goon.

I count 22 for this so far. Let me know if I've left you out:

Admiral Joeslop (2), derra (2), Orange Fluffy Sheep, berenzen, Blue Link, Saigyouji, FreeKillB, Shyfted One (2), Serene Dragon, CapitalistPig, dis astraganant, Zerilan, Novasol, Samuel Clemens, AlphaKretin, Edwhirl, Sakako, Hiilai, StrangeAeon.

I am saved at Necrophobe, appropriately leveled, with free time in about 9 hours. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

vvvvvv 23! vvvvvv

Poque fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 21, 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
^^^^ just barely made it! ^^^^

First run of the year down! (mini'd char is Samurai) I liked this party a lot more than I thought. Beastmaster is solid.

Poque posted:

I count 28. In order:
Admiral Joeslop
derra
Orange Fluffy Sheep
berenzen
Blue Link
Saigyouji
FreeKillB
derra (2)
Shyfted One
Serene Dragon
CapitalistPig
dis astraganant
Zerilan
Novasol
Admiral Joeslop (2)
Samuel Clemens
Shyfted One (2)
AlphaKretin
Edwhirl
Sakako
Hiilai
StrangeAeon
Edward_Tohr
BadMedic
Geocities Homepage King
Huzzah!
Kobata
Fat and Useless

I'll wait a bit before sending the donation to confirm the total but that's $280.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shin's down and this run is complete, next up is FOUR MONK FIESTA

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Toxx complete!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Rolling with Blue Mage, Berserker, and Beastmaster now. Anything special I should know about / look out for so I don't miss something important and make things miserable for myself?

Blue/Beast is a great combo. !Control will let you get a bunch of stuff early, particularly Missile from Motor Traps in the Steamship, 1000 Needles from Lamia in the Ronka Ruins, and White Wind from Enchanted Fans in the Ronka Ruins. You can also get Transfusion early from Mythril Dragons (meh), and L2 Old from Level Trickers in the Barrier Tower.

White Wind is the most important though.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Brave Blade is always the right choice.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Didn't need to grind as much as I did but at least it took three NED hits to kill me instead of two. Four monks was waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than I thought it would be, my only real stumbling blocks were Byblos and forgetting things outside of the rift (coral rings for Twin Tania, Magic Lamp, etc).

Next up, my first normal #reg since my very first Fiesta.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I've created Pure Beauty

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bad Seafood posted:

Much like the protagonist of the above comic, throwing away the safety and security of a presumably stable job, loving partner, and the thin veneer of social respectability, you too will throw caution to the wind and make terrible life choices that will most likely sabotage your ability to function in the world at large. Here's how it works:
  1. Have at least two of the following classes in your party: Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon.
  2. You may not have a Blue Mage or a Chemist.
  3. Kill Shinryu.
Accomplish the above and I will donate $10 in your name, up to $200. Do it with all four classes and I'll make it $20. For proof, a screenshot of your party killing Shinryu should suffice.

Ground floor, dragon slayers.

here we GO

edit: Omega and NED down too. Next will probably be a chaos750 as a palette cleanser!

Poque fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I've created Pure Beauty

:toxx: $25 per run that utilizes a full-power Brave Blade (since mine wasn't full, 140+ attack power will count) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED. :toxx: Gimme a screenshot of the full-power sword on your geo in the menu, as well as a shot of the Geo attacking NED. Caps at $100.

I WILL HAVE MY PURE BEAUTY