Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Podima posted:

All I can do is point to my kill choices as being aligned with my casing/desire to eliminate anti-town influences.

As Hal mentioned, this is exactly what didn't happen last night with your kill choice. I think you're an SK. Who did you target on n2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Yeah, this is the setup:

1 SK (Podima)
1 Survivor (AS) (likely not PGO... but probably some mechanic surrounding the cult that he hasn't claimed - probably doesn't matter) (I don't think he's cult because I don't think it makes sense to claim how he did d1 unless it's a brilliant gambit)
X Cult People
X Town

Anyone think differently? This makes the most sense to me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Not really sure how the cult mechanics work, but there's an argument to keep Podima alive as SK until we kill a Cult Recruiter because Podima can hopefully pick off cult members to avoid a majority. This strategy gets blown out of the water if there are multiple or backup Cult Recruiters.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you believe there is a single Cult Recruiter, finding recruited people would be important to simply rule them out / tell Podima to kill them. This is probably the easiest hunting we could do in thread - who changed opinions dramatically from one day to another without much explanation for why?

I'm going to reread the game. There isn't much out there.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Yes, I'm explicitly flavor fishing.

Hi, why were you flavor fishing on day 1? You claimed nothing where this strategy makes any sense.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

I am very interested in learning details of the game's setup, you are correct.

This is an odd strategy on day 1 for a vanilla town.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
why would a survivor try to get themselves lynched d1

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think Keane is the most likely candidate for Cult Recruiter. I have a couple real reasons and one Ecco reason.

Real reasons:

1. Keane spends all of d1 hiding behind AS and setup speculation without any attempt to find scum.

CCKeane posted:

So here's why I'm suspicious, here.

Atomic Soda just made a death miller, PGO claim, right? So claiming death miller is fine and all, but then AS makes the PGO claim, which eliminates most potential benefits of the position (while also eliminating some negatives - a bus driver makes AS another night kill possibility)

But why mention BK and Mona like this? Because AS just outted BK and Mona if they are power roles. For no reason.

So I suspect there's some back end treachery going on here, and I don't know even to figure out the exact details, but something stinks a bit.

CCKeane posted:

AS is the clear vote for today, feel free to keep in mind what she is saying for the future I suppose, but there are zero reasons to not vote her today, it's clearly a role that should be eliminated even if everything she said is completely on the level, which is dubious at best.

I'll gladly apply the hammer if folks are worried about a bomb.

CCKeane posted:

To make sure we're all on the same page here, you are claiming that you are a death Miller pgo, that you a joking with Mona and bk, Mona agrees with your claim, and that your alignment is explicitly town, despite flipping differently, and that you'd cop as town, despite being a phone, and that your role play explictly gives this detail about the mechanics of another role (town result vs. Not town for an investigative role)

Did I miss anything?

CCKeane posted:

You can vote me out without too much headache, sure, but since we're at:

-AS claiming PGO death miller, name drops two other players, Mona and BK.

-Mona head nods confirmation that the role makes sense, which is a hell of a coincidence.

-AS suggests they'd cop as town (despite being PGO?), which is a weird claim here because it seems to run contrary to a few things. It gives AS information as to how cops investigate, which isn't necessarily the biggest thing, but it also seems to run directly contrary to suggested flavor: I'm town because I'm a townsperson, I was out fishing when the mass death happened. AS isn't town because she doesn't live in the town. Considering there's an explicit town alignment and role, it seems incongruous with AS's claim here.

2. Keane goes down these rabbit holes of setup speculation and flavor speculation when he has no information that he's claimed which makes this strategy reasonable in any way:

CCKeane posted:

Do you have a reason for why you weren't murdered with the rest of the town?

CCKeane posted:

I'd like to toss this same series of questions to Moat.

CCKeane posted:

Mine is very similar to the sample PM listed as well.

3. Keane is uninterested in cult chat until he sees a flip but VERY INTERESTED in setup speculation:

CCKeane posted:

I am uninterested in cult chat until I see a flip.

Two night kills in a small game, I'm inclined against it.

4. He's literally only made one scum read the entire game:

CCKeane posted:

Case on pod:

-The Gotcha was ridiculous, come on.

-Day one replacement end of day was suspicious, compare pods posting around me (accepting) to pods posting around dick (calling him suss). Dick and I made similar points.

Against pod being scum:

-Result on pod (are we assuming cop is naive?)

-No no means he could have conceivably been protected.

I'm still suspicious, I'd think. I'm also suspicious on Meinberg, he is trying to get mod confirmed town executed.

5. A Cult Recruiter would want a SK dead immediately.

CCKeane posted:

##vote: Pod

I believe you're self aligned. I don't believe your win condition aligns with town.

-----

Ecco reason:

CCKeane posted:

This happened last ecco game, I was a cult cop in a cultless game.

Wouldn't it be very Ecco of Ecco to make the last game's cult cop (where a cult doesn't exist) a Cult Recruiter in this game?

##vote CCKeane

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

b-minus1 posted:

why would a survivor try to get themselves lynched d1

Because he knows he's not actually going to get lynched because SA Mafia has a history of not lynching claimed third parties on day 1 because we are, as a community, awful at mafia.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you have an explanation for wild-aligned that jives with his strategy and doesn't accept the claim of "Death Miller," I'd love to hear it. Survivor is the only thing that makes sense to me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Yeah, we can't afford to lynch Podima today even if he is SK. We have 9 alive with what could be 3 cultists. If we lynch Podima, then we enter tomorrow with 8 alive (one being a wild-aligned claim; assuming no kill tonight) and potentially 4 cultists. Game over.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This is the only thing I can't explain based on my current working theory of the setup.

Did Monathin target AS (who actually is a PGO?)?
Does someone have a vig that hasn't claimed (and they were recruited into the cult so they won't claim?)?
Did Podima somehow have an extra kill?
Did Monathin target the Cult Recruiter and go insane or something?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I did not act Night 2.

Re: death Miller, you’re harping on that choice of words when we have multiple people including yourself claiming to be town that flip another alignment. That’s what she meant by saying death Miller at the time since she had no indication that wild wasn’t the scum alignment. That’s how I read it at least.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Podima posted:

I did not act Night 2.

Re: death Miller, you’re harping on that choice of words when we have multiple people including yourself claiming to be town that flip another alignment. That’s what she meant by saying death Miller at the time since she had no indication that wild wasn’t the scum alignment. That’s how I read it at least.

We have no other person claiming wild-aligned. We have others claiming council-aligned, and it appears that council-aligned = power role.

AS isn't a Death Miller. AS is third party.

Come on, Podima. At least play ball with us. We could very well get to an end game where you win because we have to keep you alive to keep the cult in check. You have to hit cult 100% of the time for every night we fail to lynch the Cult Recruiter.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Podima posted:

It's fair, I'm not hanging my hat on it, but I made my knowledge of it very clear in my initial claim post as part of my win condition. Still, there are people like b- who had no idea, so eh.

Again: I'm going to keep hunting St. Leroux. Right now I think that's Hal. ##vote Hal Town is better served focusing on scum rather than thinking about who might have been recruited, if you're afraid of a recruiting cult situation.

Put simply: Do you think I'm St. Leroux? (e.g. the mind-controlling person who is likely connected to the "suicide" kill on Day 1.) If not, who do you think is scum? That's a fruitful conversation to have.

Why do you think St. Leroux is connected to the suicide kill on day 1?

What do you think of my CCKeane case?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
AS, what's the flavor reason behind wild-aligned?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

b-minus1 posted:

I can’t see myself voting for keane or hal. They’ve been my strongest town reads all game

How do you possibly read town on either Keane or Hal? Who do you think is scum/cult?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I know I've missed a bunch of posts since midday yesterday, will try to catch up ASAP this morning.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

merk posted:

Yeah, this is the setup:

1 SK (Podima)
1 Survivor (AS) (likely not PGO... but probably some mechanic surrounding the cult that he hasn't claimed - probably doesn't matter) (I don't think he's cult because I don't think it makes sense to claim how he did d1 unless it's a brilliant gambit)
X Cult People
X Town

Anyone think differently? This makes the most sense to me.

Yeah no scum is the most logical set-up. The only minor sticking point I have, which might be a non-issue is that Ecco's sample PM explicitly said the win-con is removing all Scum (as opposed to the more generic "town threats"):

EccoRaven posted:

A Sample Role PM posted:

You are a townie! You seek to restore peace and order to this town, and as such, win when all scum players are removed from the game.

I give this very little weight given it could be boilerplate or a general oversight, but I do want to bring it up.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ecco has always used "scum" to collectively refer to all players with win conditions that are mutually exclusive to the town win condition. I could go back and find examples, but this has been how he's done it for years.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yeah my PM says I win when scum is gone specifically but you know Ecco

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ha always on the same page merk

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah that's what I figured, and I'm not going to use that to beat a drum and say there have to be scum in the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hal, what do you think of the Keane case?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Podima posted:

I did not act Night 2.

Why not?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

Hal, what do you think of the Keane case?

It’s pretty good, I did not pay enough attention to the flavor fishing early on and I have kind of glossed over Keane but mostly just because he always seemed rational

Not sure when Alasdair joined or how Ecco would process actions but Keane would 100% recruit Alasdair for anything he could in any game

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Hal Incandenza posted:

There doesn’t have to be a recruiter, people could just start as cult and Ecco isn’t using the “normal” cult mechanic

we could also have a limited recruit.

if a cult tried to recruit a cult cop would that kill the cult cop?

b-minus1 posted:

Pod's reasoning for killing Alasdair instead of Hal makes no sense. Alasdair was almost certainly going to be modkilled anyway. It's possible that pod and alasdair are cultmates, and pod's frustration with alasdair's lurking was legitimate, and he killed him to build town cred (and possibly freeing up a cult spot if there is a limit on the number of players that can be in the cult at a given time).

i don't think that i've ever seen ecco mod kill anyone tbh. your second idea is possible but given what pod has claimed i'm not sure this makes sense as a move.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
AS could you just claim Survivor please? No need to hide behind the Death Miller thing.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

A player with a self aligned win con and a night kill is killing players in a way that runs counter to his described win con and how he wins with town.

Merk your case is like chicago pizza: Bad.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

A player with a self aligned win con and a night kill is killing players in a way that runs counter to his described win con and how he wins with town.

He's obviously an SK.

CCKeane posted:

Merk your case is like chicago pizza: Bad.

New York pizza is almost as bland as your jokes.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

merk posted:

AS, are you a Survivor? If so, you can claim it and I will deviate from my 'kill all third party' stance just this once because I think we have more pressing concerns. It also will give us insight into Pod's claim and the setup in general.

This is the only theory that makes any sense to me. Ecco would not put a Death Miller into his game.

nope sorry, i even checked my pm yet again just to make sure. i'm town.

i'm realising that i'm the only one who appears to have wild alignment but given what we've already had claimed/seen flipped re: council alignment your last sentence is already incorrect (unless you think they are scum)

merk posted:

Not really sure how the cult mechanics work, but there's an argument to keep Podima alive as SK until we kill a Cult Recruiter because Podima can hopefully pick off cult members to avoid a majority. This strategy gets blown out of the water if there are multiple or backup Cult Recruiters.

this makes sense to me, i'm not sure we can afford to kill pod atm.

merk i am a she also thankyou

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Oh, sorry about that AS.

I still don't believe you about you being town, but... I'm not sure I care right now. If you are the Cult Recruiter who claimed PGO Death Miller on day 1, you probably deserve to win the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Oh, sorry about that AS.

I still don't believe you about you being town, but... I'm not sure I care right now. If you are the Cult Recruiter who claimed PGO Death Miller on day 1, you probably deserve to win the game. UNLESS... you knew that Podima was searching to kill you at night and made that claim to dissuade the target. That's still an insane gambit.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
wow, not sure what happened there.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

merk posted:

This is the only thing I can't explain based on my current working theory of the setup.

Did Monathin target AS (who actually is a PGO?)?
Does someone have a vig that hasn't claimed (and they were recruited into the cult so they won't claim?)?
Did Podima somehow have an extra kill?
Did Monathin target the Cult Recruiter and go insane or something?

to answer your first question, no. monathin believed my claim because he also was town, but would flip council aligned. it is also nothing near my flavour, which is booby trapping my house with automatic crossbows

merk posted:

AS, what's the flavor reason behind wild-aligned?

i'm a wild woman who lives in the woods outside of town. i'm a hunter and i like living by myself and living off the land. people from the village look on me with a mix of suspicion and awe, and various rumours abound that i am a blood drinking witch, the avatar of the woodlands goddess, an ex legionary and other stories, but in fact i'm just an ornery old lady who prefers to live by herself.

i want to skin whoever did this.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
i like your case on keane merk but i need to think a while to make sure i'm not just pleased someone agreed with me :colbert:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

IllegallySober posted:

I know I've missed a bunch of posts since midday yesterday, will try to catch up ASAP this morning.

in the mean time, can you please share your alignment with us

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: The Current Day 4 Votecount :c:

Podima (2): b-minus1, CCKeane
Hal Incandenza (1): Podima
CCKeane (1): Moatillata, -Moatillata, merk
Atomic Soda (0): merk, -merk

Not Voting (5): Atomic Soda, Hal Incandenza, IllegallySober, Moatillata, Slamburger

:h: With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is June 14th, 2018 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's about 11 hours from this post. The deadline will NOT be floating so y'all mustn't dawdle.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
bminus not talking about a Cult Recruiter at all when checking in makes me think he's probably cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
just read keane's posts. I think he started the game as town, was culted last night, and now wants to get rid of the biggest threat to the cult, which of course is podima.

• Locked thread