Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do Finn and Sami Deserve Better?
This poll is closed.
Finn is gonna be fine 16 8.38%
Sami.... :cripes: 26 13.61%
SAMI! :gonk: 36 18.85%
lol nothing matters WWE is making billions extra after some of the worst booking in years 113 59.16%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I keep trying to think up something funny or snarky about that Zayn segment but holy poo poo, it is just exhausting. They're a mediocre and evil company and just got paid a billion dollars for it. Like, it's not just this weeks segment either. They used a dwarf wrestler as a punchline like 2 weeks ago. They did the whole KSA show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm glad Cima is doing a better job cultivating Chinese wrestling than wwe did.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

Kurt Angle opened the show but was cut off by Stephanie McMahon, who claimed she could manage her emotions and do what was "Best for Business", so she would oversee the contract signing tonight. Roman Reigns came out to boos and they attempted to further the "Roman is being held down by THE MAN" storyline. Kevin Owens came out and mocked Reigns but also thanked him for taking out Jinder Mahal and thus allowing Owens to backdoor his way into the MITB Ladder match. Owens got too familiar with Stephanie who punished him by putting him into a match against Reigns.

why is a heel authority figure punishing a heel? i know the answer is 'because stephanie has to go over' but come on.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Seams posted:

why is a heel authority figure punishing a heel? i know the answer is 'because stephanie has to go over' but come on.

Stephanie McMahon is her own alignment whose primary value is "is better than everyone." This is why Stephanie gets to be the top devil heel of the company while also constantly being onscreen gushing about philanthropy and the women's revolution.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
imagine thinking WWE has any reason to ever be good again

Gumball Gumption posted:

I keep trying to think up something funny or snarky about that Zayn segment but holy poo poo, it is just exhausting. They're a mediocre and evil company and just got paid a billion dollars for it. Like, it's not just this weeks segment either. They used a dwarf wrestler as a punchline like 2 weeks ago. They did the whole KSA show.

it's very disheartening that a considerable number of the best wrestlers in the world are working for a comically stupid and corrupt company that produces a TV show for kids

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 22, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

WWE is looking at lengthening its pay-per-views by one hour starting with Money in the Bank.

Sky Italia on Facebook posted that the Money in the Bank show would be moved to a four-hour window starting at 7 p.m. Eastern time, from the previous 8 p.m. start.

Other cable providers were also contacted today with that information. They were told that most of the shows would run from 7-11 p.m., with the big four shows running from 6-11 p.m. It is unclear whether pre-game shows would be dropped or whether that would mean matches would begin 30 minutes to 90 minutes before the PPV start, depending on the show, as has been the case so far.

Corroborating this information, inDemand's website is listing a 6:30 p.m. start for Money in the Bank. Traditionally they do a 30-minute countdown show prior to going live.

WWE has not responded to questions on this subject.

MORE CONTENT MORE CONTENT WE'LL STUFF YOUR loving FACE WITH CONTENT UNTIL YOU EXPLODE

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yeah WWE has figured out the business side of things pretty well. They had a solid strategy with the network in how they attracted and have grown their number of subscribers. I haven't seen what their churn rate is, but it has to have stabilized since they showed steady revenue growth even before the Saudi and new TV deals. I imagine they will invest some of the new revenue into more overseas expansion in search of new network subscribers. Unlike other streaming services they already own worldwide rights to their content so they don't have to worry about licensing as they expand into new markets. That means less barriers to expansion, so those foreign training centers are coming sooner rather than later.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Yeah WWE has figured out the business side of things pretty well. They had a solid strategy with the network in how they attracted and have grown their number of subscribers. I haven't seen what their churn rate is, but it has to have stabilized since they showed steady revenue growth even before the Saudi and new TV deals. I imagine they will invest some of the new revenue into more overseas expansion in search of new network subscribers. Unlike other streaming services they already own worldwide rights to their content so they don't have to worry about licensing as they expand into new markets. That means less barriers to expansion.

Cool!!!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I thought they were moving to have a Big 5 PPV thing this year with Money in the Bank being one of them since it gets an NXT Takeover now as well.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I want this all to fail.
I need this all to fail and for the resultant shrapnel to destroy everybody responsible for it.
If it were simply bad then fine, I outgrew it, whatever. I'll play video games instead.
But it's bad AND shamelessly self-indulgent AND moving the needle from 'business as usual corrupt' to 'active detriment to the planet as a whole' corrupt.
And getting rewarded for it in spades.
I don't even watch it anymore and I still can't stand it. I can't stand that it exists.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The thing is the only thing WWE is really doing good at is TV deals everything is down. Of course since it makes so much money nothing else matters so...

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The_Rob posted:

I'm glad Cima is doing a better job cultivating Chinese wrestling than wwe did.

It'll be really funny to me if the wrestling company that finally manages to crack the Chinese market is loving Dragon Gate.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Le Saboteur posted:

I thought they were moving to have a Big 5 PPV thing this year with Money in the Bank being one of them since it gets an NXT Takeover now as well.

It’s got Ronda AND Jinder Mahal. Don’t get much bigger than that.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
This feels like how the DCU is a collection of poo poo movies with awful storytelling and badly put together plots and business behind it. But every movie has been massively profitable.

Suicide squad succeeded! Justice league succeeded?!? The market allows poo poo to breed.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Capitalism 101, the product doesn't matter the brand does!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Wazzu posted:

This feels like how the DCU is a collection of poo poo movies with awful storytelling and badly put together plots and business behind it. But every movie has been massively profitable.

Suicide squad succeeded! Justice league succeeded?!? The market allows poo poo to breed.

the defenders of those movies will also pull out the "they make so much money, they have to be good!' thing from time to time

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How many people here sub to the network or buy anything WWE related, or watch every single week? There was just millions of people at Mania and watching it cheering their rear end off for this poo poo like every year when the older fans have makeup sex with the WWF until they realize why the left only to do it again the next year.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Wazzu posted:

Justice league succeeded?!?
uh no

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hooray for the B team winning!

I know it means nothing, and will be quickly squashed and forgotten soon, but I am going to enjoy some happy Axel and Happy Bo while I can.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Yeah didn't Justice League lose like $60 million and perform so badly they cancelled a planned The Flash standalone film and remove Zack Snyder from directing the sequel, if it even happens?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Wazzu posted:

This is a good comparison because both are taking characters/performers that I've enjoyed for years like Batman and El Generico and putting them into atrociously stupid, unsatisfying poo poo.

And how Vince should just be on the business side of things and Zack Snyder should just be a cinematographer and neither of them should be allowed within 100 yards of a creative meeting.

Low Desert Punk posted:

it's very disheartening that a considerable number of the best wrestlers in the world are working for a comically stupid and corrupt company that produces a TV show for kids

I'm so happy I stopped giving these assholes money.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CarlCX posted:

Stephanie McMahon is her own alignment whose primary value is "is better than everyone." This is why Stephanie gets to be the top devil heel of the company while also constantly being onscreen gushing about philanthropy and the women's revolution.

If Vince had done that segment tonight where the authority figure bullied and goaded and humiliated the champion and the #1 Contender because they're both faces that he hates, he would have ended the segment taking multiple finishers.

Instead she ended the segment with a giant smirk on her face after having verbally buried both women. Stephanie should be the greatest heel in wrestling history but she's so up her own rear end she just turns everything she touches to ashes instead.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Every DC movie been an incredible bust in money and reviews.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I can't wait for Bobby to bring out Sami's family next week

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Marvel movies are a better analogy for wwe. Because marvel makes nothing but mediocre childrens movies with a few bright spots depending on who's working, but because they flooded the market have become a success by pretty much being the only game in town. D.C. Movies are Impact.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Midnightghoul posted:

I can't wait for Bobby to bring out Sami's family next week

Bobby: *shows 5 minute clip from Nacho Libre*

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Here I was, thinking that 300 million budget, 660 box office meant a profit. 60 million loss off that somehow.

The_Rob posted:

Marvel movies are a better analogy for wwe. Because marvel makes nothing but mediocre childrens movies with a few bright spots depending on who's working, but because they flooded the market have become a success by pretty much being the only game in town. D.C. Movies are Impact.

Marvel successfully pleases mainstream audiences and puts on generally compelling movies. They're not high art and don't want to be. But WWE is just pretty bad most of the time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
wwe sucks, imo

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

The_Rob posted:

Would that make NJPW indie arthouse films that are critically acclaimed, but nobody outside of a niche group cares for?

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 22, 2018

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Wazzu posted:

Here I was, thinking that 300 million budget, 660 box office meant a profit. 60 million loss off that somehow.

Marvel successfully pleases mainstream audiences and puts on generally compelling movies. They're not high art and don't want to be. But WWE is just pretty bad most of the time.
for future reference, a movie studio does not get 100% of the box office. theaters take their cut. the newer the film is, the more money goes to the studio. as time goes on, the theater takes a bigger cut. a common figure thrown out is around 50% going back to the people who made the movie. it also goes through a distributor first, and cuts may be taken for various reasons. this all gets dicier in the age of international blockbusters, as there are even more undisclosed variables. also, released budgets are absolutely not the final "budget" for a movie, as they can include things such as advertising, which is a GIANT pile of money for blockbusters. all this means that it is very difficult to evaluate the actual profitability of a film, especially a huge budget blockbuster. that said, pmuch every dc movie since the nolan batmans have flopped to some degree, justice league being the biggest.

and yeah, marvel movies are good and fun and the wwe is 90% unwatchable garbage, so that analogy sucked

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thor Ragnarok is great and a legitimately funny movie and I will bare knuckle bar fight anyone who says otherwise

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Thor Ragnarok is great and a legitimately funny movie and I will bare knuckle bar fight anyone who says otherwise

I'm never going to like another superhero movie like I liked thor 3.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WrasslorMonkey posted:

I'm never going to like another superhero movie like I liked thor 3.

You can tell from the opening scene it was going to be completely different than any other Marvel movie and when I found out it was from the same director as What We Do In The Shadows (another legitimately great comedy) it all made sense. I didn't like either of the previous Thor movies before it. Not all superhero movies are trash, just most.

Plus, Jeff loving Goldblum as a Marvel villain was some inspired casting.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 22, 2018

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Also movies typically spend the same amounts on production and marketing. So that 300 mill for Justice League is more like 600 mill in production and marketing.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
300 millions for justice league’s cgi seems like a bit of a ripoff. WWE is better at spending money, none of that billion dollars is going to pyro.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

cams posted:

for future reference, a movie studio does not get 100% of the box office. theaters take their cut. the newer the film is, the more money goes to the studio. as time goes on, the theater takes a bigger cut. a common figure thrown out is around 50% going back to the people who made the movie. it also goes through a distributor first, and cuts may be taken for various reasons. this all gets dicier in the age of international blockbusters, as there are even more undisclosed variables. also, released budgets are absolutely not the final "budget" for a movie, as they can include things such as advertising, which is a GIANT pile of money for blockbusters. all this means that it is very difficult to evaluate the actual profitability of a film, especially a huge budget blockbuster. that said, pmuch every dc movie since the nolan batmans have flopped to some degree, justice league being the biggest.

Although a lot of movie losses are some accountancy bullshit for tax purposes.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Blaise330 posted:

300 millions for justice league’s cgi seems like a bit of a ripoff. WWE is better at spending money, none of that billion dollars is going to pyro.

Nor is it going to paying for the wrestler's healthcare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You can tell from the opening scene it was going to be completely different than any other Marvel movie and when I found out it was from the same director as What We Do In The Shadows (another legitimately great comedy) it all made sense.

Everybody please watch What We Do In The Shadows. It's so, so, so loving good.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I think I'm done with WWE, and maybe wrestling in general.

I could write a doctorate thesis on all the things this company does wrong, but they've got a virtual monopoly, and somehow make more money than God, so I give up.

Maybe a couple months, cold turkey, will shift my attention towards something fun in wrestling; but I am bailing out on Vinceland, and encourage as many as are willing to join.

Jesus, that Zayn-Lashley thing was so loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Low Desert Punk posted:

Don't worry. WWE will put on a PPV or a ep of Raw that will be above mediocre for once, and everyone will start praising how they turned a corner and are finally good again. Then it will be back to the same lovely booking again.

• Locked thread