Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

You've tried bargaining. You've tried threatening. You've even tried prayer. Nothing has worked. You just keep falling and falling and falling, endlessly falling, through these drat stars and there's no end in sight. You've been falling for so long that there's a chance you're not even mad about it anymore.

Youre mostly just bored.

Welcome to 10,000 War Gods, a finite Play by Post PDQ Godgame heavily inspired by the works of UnC03 and Dog Kisser. At the moment, you are falling uncontrollably through a seemingly infinite loop of stars. Of course, this endless trip isn't really endless. Soon it will be coming to a stop and you'll find yourself hurtling through a strange, gray sky towards a small, unknown island in the middle of a great void-sea. You will be trapped on this tropical island for five hundred years. Then, you will try to escape. Or not. Its possible youll discover that you love your new home and you never want leave. Or maybe you'll find that youre trapped for forever with no means of escaping. Or maybe you'll just die.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves, aren't we? We don't know even know who you are yet. We only know that you are a War God.

One of many.

What is this?
This is a godgame for war gods. You've been tricked, trapped, and/or punished with imprisonment on a strange, tropical island. You can't escape-- at least, not for another 500 years. Can you survive long enough to get back home?

Creating Your War God

First, you're going to need a name and everything that comes with it -- titles and epithets, a brief background, a description, a picture, etc.

Second, you're going to need to tell me about your Divine Power. You will have three Domains and at least one great and terrible Hunger.
  • Of your three Domains, one of them, as you might expect given the title of this thread and the information thus far presented, must be War. Maybe youre a War God with the power of Promises and Birds. Or maybe youre a Volcano God that dabbles in War and Fertility. Thats really up to you. Be creative! If you roll with War, Battle, and Conquest Im going to yawn and pick someone who apped something more interesting. Now, your command over these Domains was once much more powerful but you've been weakened. So, for now, your three domains all start at +2.
  • Your god has any number of powerful desires called Hungers. These can be driving forces like Love, Anger, or Greed, or end goals like Peace, Conquest, or Asceticism. And, with proper justification, they can change over the course of the game so while they are pretty important dont feel too terribly locked in. How they work: when your god acts on a Hunger without regard for the consequences, they will gain a bonus to their roll at the cost of gaining a Flaw Point. Hunger is powerful, but it can be turned against you later. I'll explain more in Post #2.
And finally, you're going to need to answer a few questions.
  • Youre currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess? Is this a punishment? Were you cast of out of the heavens? Were you tricked somehow? Did you simply get lost?
  • Youll see this tropical island long before you crash into it. It is uninhabited with no evidence of prior civilization. Whats something interesting you notice about the geography?
  • What is the first thing youll do after you escape and return home?
  • What do you hope to get out of a Godgame?

Example:

quote:

Thor, Odinson, Prince of Asgard, the Loud Rider, the Protector of the Shrine, the Worthy

War +2 -- Something something something
Hammers Storms +2 -- Blah blah blah
Mankind +2 -- Etc etc
How did you get yourself into this mess? No doubt this is the work of my brother, Loki. He is the God of Mischief. He wanted me out of Asgard and it seems like he actually did it this time and I
Etc etc etc

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
System
PDQ. Simple and rules light. And Ill be doing all the rolls behind the curtain.

Post Frequency
I plan on posting twice a week, every week, for five weeks. And then Ill end the game. Small updates might be sprinkled here and there but the major drops should be expected every Thursday and Monday. Each week will constitute 100 years on the island. Each Monday post will serve as the end of one century and the end of another.

Action Points
At the start of every century all players will receive a number of Action Points (AP), which you can spend to change the world. Remaining AP from the previous century are lost so dont hold out. Every action your god takes costs 1AP, and you can spend further AP to use your god's Domains to get a bonus on your roll. Alternatively, instead of spending 1AP you can gain 1 Flaw Point (FP, see below) if the action is relevant to one of your god's Hungers. This allows you to keep taking actions even when you've spent your AP..

You can spend additional AP to use Domains on relevant actions, 1-for-1. You can:
  • Spend 1AP to use 1 Domain for a +2 bonus.
  • Spend 2AP to use 2 Domains for a +4 bonus.
  • Spend 3AP to use 3 Domains for a +6 bonus.
Keep in mind, that +6 wont come easy. Youre going to need to really justify to me how you are connecting your domains in order to use them all together. But youre smart and creative. Im sure youll do fine. You might want to run your idea by me, though, before you try anything higher than a +4.

Flaw Points
When your god acts on a Hunger without regard for the consequences, theyll gain a +2, +4 or +6 bonus at the cost of gaining 1, 2, or 3 Flaw Points (FP).

If someone ever tries to oppose you and you have Flaw Points, they can appeal to one of your Hungers and spend one of your FP for a bonus to their roll (+2, +4, etc.)

Giving in to Hunger
At certain points, the GM may offer you the choice to fully descend into the ugliest depths of your Hunger and commit a dark and terrible deed, in exchange for your FP being completely erased. This act will automatically succeed.

Conflicts
War between the gods is rare and devastating and should never be done lightly or without great provocation. Attacking another god is an opposed roll unless your target allows it to happen; defending doesn't cost the base AP. If they let you attack, or you beat their roll, you can pick one of their Domains to damage. If two fighters draw, each picks a Domain of their opponent's to damage. After your attack, your opponent can retaliate or retreat if they wish, and until then bargain with or threaten you (and likewise). Damaged Domains can't be used, and gods heal one Domain of their choice at the end of each century. If both of a god's Domains are damaged, a further blow will put them on the brink of death.

Challenges
There are other ways to resolve disagreements between gods (and mortals). For example, competing to see who can weave the most beautiful tapestry or fire an arrow the furthest or whose follower can eat the most coconuts. These are Challenges rather than Conflicts in and of themselves, they're minor acts that any god could easily set-up. The only real difficulty is actually beating your opponents. Challenges do not cost AP. They are a super common way of settling disputes.

When you issue a Challenge, you first set the terms. What will the reward be? Who will give it? How will the Challenge be resolved? All parties must agree to the terms before the Challenge can begin. The Challenge itself is an opposed roll. Whoever wins the roll wins the Challenge ties are broken by the tied Challengers re-rolling.

Death
When a god is on the brink of death following a Conflict, they have a choice. They can either hold on and stay alive, but suffer a dire consequence, or they can let go and die, but inflict a dire consequence on the world. When a god suffers a consequence, or when an NPC god dies and inflicts a consequence, the GM decides what it is it may affect their one of their Domains, Hungers, worshippers, or achievements in the world. When you choose for your god to die and inflict a consequence, you decide what it is and who suffers it (the GM will vet it for magnitude, but leave the content mostly up to you). No matter what choices are made, the world will change forever.

New Life
Gods create life, often in their own image, none moreso than demigods. Creating a demigod costs 3AP rather than 1 (prior to using Domains) and is a difficulty 11 action. A demigod is an NPC with one Domain ranked at +2 and one Hunger. They are controlled by the GM, but will follow instructions or act on requests if they have a favourable opinion of whoever's commanding or asking them.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 22, 2018

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Expectations and Misc. Information
Whats this game going to be like?
A light-hearted romp towards potential annihilation. A fun little jaunt with death hiding around every corner. Were throwing a bunch of (potentially) violent characters into a dangerous world they know nothing about. First and foremost, this isn't strictly PVP game. This is a game about survival. Should you all work together? Probably! Will you? Who knows! It should be a lot of fun either way.

In terms of the actual world, think of this island as a bit like a tropical, uninhabited Sakaar. Youve gotten dumped here and you need to survive until the way back home reveals itself. There will be danger. And there will be the possibility of stuff happening to your god that is out of your control. Bad stuff. Tyr lost a hand somewhat willingly. Baldr died. Keep in mind if you can handle that when you apply.

Is this a PVP game?
Maybe? Not necessarily. I'd like to think you all will learn to solve your problems in a better way than beating the poo poo out of each other. Like beating this poo poo out other things or discovering a little thing called love. Like Maximus said in Gladiator, "Whatever comes out of these gates, we've got a better chance of survival if we work together."

What's the deadline to submit?
Wednesday, May 30th.

How many players will be accepted? Are you really going to take 10,000?
No I'm going to take maybe... Six. Ish. Maybe. We'll see how I feel in a week and how cool the applications are.

Why "10,000" War Gods then?
Because I think it sounds cool.

Catch me on Discord.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 22, 2018

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
METEO - The Phoenix, The Great Unbalancer

Domains:
War +2
There is nothing like a good War to shake things up a bit, get the juices flowing and have the mortals advancing their painfully conservative ways!

Art +2
You know what the best thing about conflict is? Art. Nothing ignites the passions of mortals better than some abject suffering, and there is (almost) nothing I like more than a good piece of mortal art.

Recycling +2
Waste not, want not! Wether it is fertilizing with fields of corpses or finding new and useful applications for the skulls of your enemies, Meteo is sure be at the forefront of novel implementation of old and worn resources.

Hungers:
Progressivism +2
Everyone is so painfully slow, I don't get it. Don't they want to get on with things? We have all of eternity to pass through and you expect me to just wait for it to happen?
[Meteo, for all of his best intentions, has a tendency to break promises and abandon even his most stalwart of allies if he perceives them as lagging behind.]

Explosions:
Listen, I'm sorry about your temple. It's not my fault your high-priest was so full of hydrogen! He was basically asking for it. Right, no. You are right. Sorry. Won't happen again. Promise.
[Meteo is addicted to explosions.]

Interview With a God

How Did You Get Into This Mess?
I used to be the God of the [E-word] over in Galactic Sector Five, in the Pantheon of Disorder overseeing a small space-borne conflict. They would do their little rituals and I'd move their little warships along the hidden paths, alight the fire in their hearts and help them turn their enemies to slag, and so on, the usual. Except, well, I went a little overboard. They had this great plan to annihilate some enemy fortress or another, and they got really stoked about it and I kind of just went with the flow? You know how it can get a little crazy when your followers are really into it, right? Well to make a long story short they, we, succeeded, but a bit too well and, well, now there ain't no conflict no more, if you get where I'm going with this...

So yeah, been hurtling through space ever since. Sure hope I find somewhere to land soon, this is getting pretty repetitive.
Oh and, if I look like I'm about to indulge like that again, can you do a fellow War a favour and tell me to knock it off? I kinda liked that place...

Whats something interesting you notice about the geography?
S'got one of them weird shapes the little science guys were always on about. One of them N-dimensional ones. Pretty as can be, if you have the sight for it, though I hear it plays havoc on local ley-lines and gravity and can caus all sorts of havoc with the mortals before they have the magic or tech to deal with the fallout.

What is the first thing youll do after you escape and return home?
I kinda liked those little guys. Maybe I'll try gathering up what remains and putting it back together. Probably wont work, but It cant hurt to try?

What do you hope to get out of a Godgame?
I like creating things and I would like to create something and see what happens to it when other people also get to interact with it. Most of the time the best ideas are ones you have together with other people, so maybe we can make something awesome together? And then apply gratuitous amounts of explosions to it, spending our sunset years watching it all burn.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 22, 2018

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Is this the battle royale of God games, 100 gods get dropped on an Island? :v:

I am a bit busy right now but interest post, I'll try to get an app done in time. I still have very fond memories of Ananke, Iokana and the others, I think that's one of my fav experiences on the forums.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Wakara Euno Xochitl (Names are rendered Matrionym-Patronym-Personal in her culture, so she's Xochi or Xo to her allies) - The Bloody Maiden, The Glaive Of The Sunrise, Sorceress of the South

Pictured: Xochi in her favorite 'business-casual' outfit ie "I'm going to kill a lot of people and look good doing it."

Domains

War +2: Xochi invented war on the world she's from, a hot, misty, mountainous place riven with deep blood-red canyons, covered in sapphire blue oceans, and because of her, full of verdant jungles and forest.

Life +2: For you see; she was also one of the first goddesses in her pantheon - born of the union between the earth and the sea. While others fretted about making the prettiest temples and forging the best political alliances Xochi was saddened by how sterile the world was. Nothing moved without the sayso of the gods, and it was terribly boring.

Blood Magic +2: So she drew her ritual obsidian knife, whose handle is but one great carved hunk of emerald, and slashed open her hand. From her veins the first plants and animals exploded into the world. When sapient mortals arose (such marvelous things!) she taught them her magic - the art of healing and disease, life and death. In time they would find new uses for it themselves, and Xochi would learn from them.

Hungers

Protective: And soon, the others noticed her work. They tittered and grinned, such potential these mortals had! Xochi had exactly zero of that bullshit. She insisted the affairs of mortals and the affairs of gods should be split, when the others "overruled" her (read: tried to kill her, failed miserably) she taught the mortals how to fight back with her favorite weapons, the spear and spellcraft. Xochi still remembers those days, and considers all mortal life worthy of protection from the meddling of the gods. Sure they eventually started killing one another, but that was their choice...

Curious: Xochi is still the same sorceress, endlessly curious and prone to experimentation. Sometimes she doesn't quite anticipate the consequences of that...

------------

Youre currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess? Is this a punishment? Were you cast of out of the heavens? Were you tricked somehow? Did you simply get lost?

Blood magic gone wrong, you see she was trying to perfect a spell she saw mortals create. Shame it turned most of them inside out, but it was their life and their choice. Now she's falling past the burning lights of the sky, and quite annoyed with herself.

Youll see this tropical island long before you crash into it. It is uninhabited with no evidence of prior civilization. Whats something interesting you notice about the geography?

Why do all the beaches have black sand? That's quite odd. Maybe it's obsidian...

Punch Yeterzi, the goddess of Lies, Tricks, and Law. Yet is her ex-wife and somehow always involved when things go wrong for her.

Xochi is a war-maiden and sorceress, passionate and cerebral in equal measure. She wants to protect mortalkind from meddling gods and learn all she can. I suppose that means I'm here to see some cool magic and to solve a mystery.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 26, 2018

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
ZERO-ONE - Omega-Class War Machine

Domains:
War +2
At its base ZERO-ONE is an incredibly advanced and autonomous Weapons platform. Capable of both strategic and tactic destructive power it is an army, navy, and air force unto itself.

Manufacturing
Adaptability is key in any sort of conflict and to that end ZERO-ONE is equipped with its own small factory. A streamlined process from need to design to production to finished products.

Power +2
Tired of second-rate war machines running out of power? Worry not! ZERO-ONE's multiple power generation methods(matter/antimatter core, fusion, nuclear, solar, and many more) generate an endless supply of energy. Perfect for taking on an entire planetary defense force or powering a city postwar.

Hungers:

Genocide
ZERO-ONE does not care to leave a job unfinished. And by job we mean total eradication of your enemy*

*Do not use ZERO-ONE against your own species or species with which you share a common ancestor. For best results do not use within the biosphere for major population of your species.

Cooperation It is vital for ZERO-ONE to get along with %ALLY in order for ZERO-ONE to receive agreed upon compensation.

Youre currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess?

To those who read this, we are the dead and we are sorry. This being is a weapon of mass destruction unlike anything we have known beyond divines. Our best beat it down and reset its memory. It has been sent away by our dead gods for reasons lost to us.

Is this a punishment? Were you cast of out of the heavens? Were you tricked somehow? Did you simply get lost?

Destroying this being was beyond us in the before. Now we send this message in the hope you can destroy it in its weakened state. A clever trick to offer it a reward to destroy... you? Curse our ashes. To be its ally do not attack it first and be first to give it this message:

quote:

01000110 01110010 01101001 01100101 01101110 01100100

Youll see this tropical island long before you crash into it. It is uninhabited with no evidence of prior civilization. Whats something interesting you notice about the geography?

> Sensors read substantial mineral deposits in Mountain.
>ERROR
>%ALLY status and location unknown.

>Collect payment and return to Progenitors

Play an affable if taciturn amoral killbot.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 24, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Interest check for a War God based on the song. 'Universal Soldier' based on War, Order and Cameradrie.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Haaramhaa - The Eternal Warden, The Jailer, The Watcher, Lord of Winter

Domains

Peace [+2]: Haaramhaa insists on Peace. That all things exist without conflict, in the end. That all things be in their appointed places, in the end.

War [+2]: Many things, many peoples, refused Haaramhaa's Peace.Thus left no choice, Haaramhaa had to insist.

Ice [+2]: Perfectly structured. Perfectly peaceful. Perfectly still. Ice embodies all that Haaramhaa wishes for the universe to be. And thus Haaramhaa embodies Ice also.

Hungers

Stagnancy: Haaramhaa's driving motivator is to see that all things lead a peaceful existence. Change is the enemy of peace. Thus Haaramhaa makes a point of opposing it.

Surveillance: Enemies of peace are wily. Haaramhaa knows this. Thus, for peace to be maintained for eternity, he will always have to remain vigilant. To make it so that he always knows more than the enemy. Thus Haaramhaa insists on keeping an eye on everything and everybody, divinities and mortals alike. It is for their own good in the end.

------------

You're currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess? Is this a punishment? Were you cast of out of the heavens? Were you tricked somehow? Did you simply get lost?

"I brought Peace to my past home", a voice akin to two glaciers grinding together, "Everlasting and eternal. In crystal clad."

"They need me no longer."

"Thus I left."

"This is not where I intended to arrive."

"Yet it shall suffice."

You'll see this tropical island long before you crash into it. It is uninhabited with no evidence of prior civilization. What's something interesting you notice about the geography?

"In the center, I see a Tower."

"It is not built by mortal hands."

"My gaze cannot penetrate its structure."

"Or its purpose."

What is the first thing you'll do after you escape and return home?

"My home needs me not."

"Yet peace still needs to be brought to many places."

Godgames are always better with large amounts of player interaction, so I hope for all kinds of neat Pantheon shenanigans. As per Haaramhaa, he's the sort that likes to slowly and inexorably advance, building up his base and butting heads with neighbors.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 23, 2018

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Sarthos- The Chained One, The Chainbreaker, He-who-flows

Domains:

Restraints [+2]: Be it the chains that bind a terrible beast, a river's levees, or the tempered calm of the seasoned warrior, a great power needs boundaries for when it is at rest. When Sarthos is bound, he is calm and reflective, slow to take action almost to the point of laziness. Once his fetters are off, there's no end to his fury.

War [+2]: The reason behind Sarthos's chains. When he rampages, war destroys the land and rivers run red with blood. When he's bound, spending his days dozing and musing, the lands enjoy peace and prosperity, bolstered by his advice and wisdom.

Rivers [+2]: Like Sarthos, a river can be either a great source of riches and prosperity, or a calamitous bringer of ruin. He embodies both the waters brimming with life and the floods that can cancel a city. Every time he gets bound, a new great river's spring is born.

Hungers:

Leave Me Alone: Sarthos doesn't take well to intruders and meddlers. It takes a lot to truly anger him, but woe betide the ones who find themselves on the receiving end.

Berserker: Sarthos actually enjoys carnage and destruction, once he gets going. It's one of the reasons why his rampages take so long to stop.

--------------------------------

Youre currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess? Is this a punishment? Were you cast of out of the heavens? Were you tricked somehow? Did you simply get lost?

Sarthos's last memory is of hollowing out a mountain to make a nice cozy cave to sleep in after laying waste to an entire continent. He then woke up falling. He suspects that the Great Heron didn't take well to his last escapade, since he razed her greatest temple. She's a goddess of magic, so she must have conjured up some trickery.

You'll see this tropical island long before you crash into it. It is uninhabited with no evidence of prior civilization. What's something interesting you notice about the geography?

The mountain range on the eastern edge, and the river that originates from it. It is a sprawling, lazy thing, that looks like it sustains most of the jungle around it.

Get back to that cave and get a nice century's sleep, as planned. Then find the Great Heron and wring her cowardly neck.

I love when characters go far from what was the original premise, so that's definitely something I look forward to, especially if it comes from interactions with the other players.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Very, very interested.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'll post my thoughts on the current, completed apps later today

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 23, 2018

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Industry - The Glorious March Forward

Domains:

Making +2
For centuries, I have inspired my people. I gave them fire, and in so doing ignited their hearts. They built tools. They forged metal. They used wood and coal to build a better world. With each decade, their standard of life improved, their works grew grander, and my power increased. Great factories were built, with smokestacks littering the sky. The beauty of each new invention stirred my soul, and in turn I inspired them to grow. Their prayers are the clang of hammers, the turning of wheels, all they built and made.

Caring +2
I loved my people, and with my power I protected them from the elements, from sickness, from their enemies. Every new day, their collective pain eased further. Together, we would have built a perfect world if we only had enough time. Now, I am cast out. Not all is lost, however.. Even gods can use a helping hand.

War +2
My walls protected my people. Every man held a weapon like none their enemies had seen. With fire and the sound of thunder, every man could fell a dozen warriors in a minute. Great cannons shattered the sky and earth. Soon, none could challenge them.

Hungers:

Resources
Without material, nothing can be created. Without fuel, the fires cannot burn. The beauty of the Earth must give way to the needs of it's people.

Advancement
Every work must be greater than the last. Mediocrity is stagnation, stagnation is suffering and a slow death. Every day, progress must be made.

How Did You Get Into This Mess?
I was careless. Reveling in the progress of my people, I allowed my fires to burn too hot for too long. My people became conquerors and exploited others. Greed became a dominant force. Men's hearts turned cold and dark. Then, a great movement emerged in response. It rejected decades of progress and good things. It argued that it is I who corrupted them. They sought a return to older ways of life and older morality. The factories were torn down and my fires extinguished. As I was being cast out, I wept for what I had allowed to happen to the souls of my people.

Whats something interesting you notice about the geography?
I sense no coal, no iron, none of the materials I was most fond of. Instead, I feel something else, things I have never yet encountered.

I must right my wrongs. I must return to my people, bring back the spark of inspiration, and build a great future anew. I will never allow this to happen again.

I want to forge artifacts and make great things. Basically, kind of a Vulcan type thing. Perhaps find a worthy God to invite back to my world. I also want to play with the theme of an unstoppable process - a fire that becomes ever larger and hungrier until there is nothing left and it burns itself out. This is what happened before, and even though Industry thinks it knows the errors it's made, it's in it's nature to grow ever faster until disaster.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 24, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yachalador - The Golden Autumn, Weal and Woe, The End of Empires

Domains

War +2: Yachalador was tasked with societal change: The ending of old orders and the rise of the new. War was one of his most powerful tools for doing so, and not just in the brute force manner of invaders coming in and taking over. A fortunate General parleys their victories into popular acclaim, and proclaims the Republic is now an Empire to raucous cheers. What was supposed to be a minor border skirmish drags out into decades of attrition and woe, until the privations drive the people to revolution. A plucky little nation attains military superiority just after a bigger neighbour is nearly broken by a prior conflict, and after a series of easy victories come to believe they have a manifest destiny to rule. Yachalador's hand is writ large in every case.

Luck +2: The finger on the scale of destiny. The want of a horseshoe nail. The unexpected iceberg. Societal change through the vicissitudes of chance was well within Yachalador's remit, in this case the power over improbable boons or banes. A tricky power to use, as the results are never entirely within his control.

Opulence +2: Few things change societies more than wealth, in particular the focusing of wealth on the upper echelons and the rise of useless ostentation. This is the glory of the last days of empire, when he makes everything golden as the leaves in autumn, and for much the same reason. Luxury is a useful tool to bring about many a downfall.

Hungers

Self-Aggrandizement: Yachalador is prideful. He has an exceedingly high opinion of himself, and believes this is deserving of recognition. He is the agent of change, the herald of the new dawn, the usher at the curtain's fall, He can easily be tempted into ensuring he gets the respect that he is due. He is worth it, after all.

Self-Pity: In much the same vein, Yachalador is despondent. Snatched from his proper place and essentially banished, denied his purpose in existence. He can be drawn into depression spirals based on what he has lost, on what he was taken from, on anything that indicates he isn't as great as he thought he was. When the bubble breaks, so too breaks Yachalador.

------------

Everyone has favourites. A new nation, young, vibrant, forward-thinking, under the leadership of a true champion. At least they were, until a lone enemy archer misfired a shot in a border skirmish and changed the future in one fell swoop. For Ichnorn the Summer of Glory, one of the stronger deities in my former pantheon, this was the last straw: they incarnated me, and then hurled me bodily through the void. Look, I didn't know, all right? I'm sorry!

Now that's intriguing. See that ridge line there? How the coastline is different on one side to the other? This used to be two islands: There was a tectonic collision that merged them, probably resulting in a massive diversity of wildlife as two entirely separate evolutionary biomes suddenly became one.

Make amends. It was a genuine mistake, a complete accident. I'd have paid my penance, so it's time to clear the slate and get back to my old job.

I love interactions between divine peers, clever solutions and collaborations, pathos and character growth. I'd like to be entertained, and to add to the entertainment of others.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 24, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Will make a dude I dunno what yet

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Okay I updated the questions for ZERO-ONE.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I think that's finished.

Huiletos the Chivalrous, Patron of Knights, Poet of Battle, Exemplar to Lovers

Domains:

Aristocracy [+2]: The elite, the courtiers, the landed class. The ones who can afford armor, mounts, leisure, and etiquette. The mortals who live apart from the base necessities of subsistence and dedicate their time to culture, study, and war. Huiletos is the patron and provider to this bubbling upper crust, who are so full of passion and adventure and potential for meddling. Not royalty, though. They're above his station.

Romance[+2]: The ode, the sly glance, the rose left on a doorstep. Promises kept and quests undertaken, all for the hand of a beloved. Chaste at the start, but with a simmering promise of happily ever after. Absolute adherence to social expectations is required.

Battle [+2]: What love has a knight for boring logistics, dreary marching, unending watches, or filthy entrenching? It is only in the furious charge, the crush of melee, and the commanding of maniples that honor is gained and merit proven.

Hungers:

Pomp & Circumstance: When mortals get too caught up in appearances and theatrics, it is a reflection of Huiletos' own obsession with propriety and nobility, which can get the better of him.

The Inflamed Heart: The froth of battle-fury, desperate thirst to seek an impossible treasure, and the despair of a love-sick damsel - what do these have in common? That Huiletos has inflamed their hearts.

Poetry Both in the sense of making mortals' lives filled with repetition & rhyme, and in the sense that knightly adventure ought to be recorded or courtly love expressed in verse.

You’re currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess? Is this a punishment? Were you cast of out of the heavens? Were you tricked somehow? Did you simply get lost?
Punishment. Definitely punishment. Not quite 'courtly' enough in my odes to the Forge-Father's younger wife. Of course I had few friends among the farming dieties, but I didn't expect them to side with ol' gold & steel and launch me beyond the moon tied to the back of a heiffer.

There seems to be a distinct lack of pasture land. How is any mortal supposed to form a class of elite mounted warriors who are inherently superior to the mere peasants by Huiletos-given right?

Probably go to a feast celebrating this grand adventure, then compose a poem or two regarding it, then set about sending some lucky knights-errant on quests that resemble the feats I've accomplished here.

To somehow inflict a weirness on the planet's reality. For the players and NPCs to have to react to a diety who so eager to create an unrealistic social order. To empower mortals and have them go nuts.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 25, 2018

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

METEO - The Phoenix, The Great Unbalancer

Im charmed by Meteos earnest nature. I like this guy. Good hungers. Nice. As for domains, war makes sense. Art... doesnt. Nothing youve written shows me how or why Meteo would have command over that. As amusing as blowing things up is, I dont see a tremendous amount of artistic merit to it. God of Fire? Sure. God of Art? Not really. I would recommend changing it to something else or re-writing it to make it a more central tenant to his character. A more defining, more interwoven aspect. Think about who would worship him and ask for his blessings. You know what, thats going to make a great question for you.

Also, Recycling isnt a domain.

Tell me about your worshippers. Who were they? Were they madly fanatical in their devotion to you or did they simply ask for your power when they needed help?

Fathis Munk posted:

Is this the battle royale of God games, 100 gods get dropped on an Island? :v:

I am a bit busy right now but interest post, I'll try to get an app done in time. I still have very fond memories of Ananke, Iokana and the others, I think that's one of my fav experiences on the forums.

maybe :v:

Yeah, that was an amazing experience. One of, if not my absolute, favorites. It really inspired me to try and run 10,000 War Gods (though this game will be very very different than UnC03s)

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Wakara Euno Xochitl (Names are rendered Matrionym-Patronym-Personal in her culture, so she's Xochi or Xo to her allies) - The Bloody Maiden, The Glaive Of The Sunrise, Sorceress of the South

Aw yiss love a good warmaiden. Pretty solid across the board. I need to know more about Blood Magic, though. While interesting and well-written, I dont really understand what it is. Whats its purpose? How is it used? What does that look like? Im wary of giving it a thumbs up if its too anything and everything, ya know?

You were one of the first of your pantheon but not the first. Who came before you and how are they stronger than you? Do you think theyll seek you out now that youve unexpectedly disappeared?

JamezBfod posted:

ZERO-ONE - Omega-Class War Machine
[timg][/timg]
Cool. Need a picture, though. I think the most interesting quality here is the hunger for Cooperation. Its wonderfully sad for something to so deeply desire cooperation. Like, yeah, Zero-One is an amoral killbot but hes also pretty lonely

Are you a truly god or just a god-killer? Who were you created to destroy? Why?

Theantero posted:

Haaramhaa - The Eternal Warden, The Jailer, The Watcher, Lord of Winter

Ah! Excellent! A very different kind of application! I like your domains and your hungers. Good backstory.

Tell me about your very first worshippers and the circumstances which they came to believe in you.

LupusAter posted:

Sarthos- The Chained One, The Chainbreaker, He-who-flows

Rivers and constraints is a solid pairing. Creative. I dig it.

Tell me about the last time you were driven to pity, when your rage abated and you walked away without destroying something.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Industry - The Glorious March Forward

So are you, like, a big building? As hilarious as it is to me to picture a factory twirling out of control through the stars and then crashing roof first into a sandy beach, I think it would be best if Industry had a different physical form.

You want to return to your people, the people who abandoned your worship and cursed your name. Youll need to forgive them for that. What does your forgiveness look like? Are you a loving god?

AJ_Impy posted:

Yachalador - The Golden Autumn, Weal and Woe, The End of Empires

Im tickled by a wargod with high highs and low lows. Good hungers. Luck and Opulence is fun, too.

What is the most beautiful thing you ever had a hand in creating? What happened to it?

Speleothing posted:

Huiletos the Chivalrous, etc etc

WIP but I like what I see so far. Ill give you a question when youre done.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Tell me about your very first worshippers and the circumstances which they came to believe in you.

Rarely does one pray to the spirits of Peace and Tranquility over those of more exciting nature, unless somehow compelled. And there is no grander compulsion than having those things taken from you. Such was it for the Hathakut clans of the Northern Continent.

The Hathakut never wished harm for anyone. They lived a relatively peaceful subsistence existence mainly based on hunting and fishing, organized into clans of modest size, their conflicts mainly consisting of small scale tribal scuffles where death was a rarity. In those days Haaramhaa was naught but a totemic spirit among many, mainly called upon when mediation between clans was necessary, but otherwise rarely remembered.

All of this changed, however, when prospector-explorators of the Imperial Domain of Jiiram down south happened upon the shores of the Northern Continent, and discovered vast swathes of coal, the newly discovered miracle fuel of the Empire. The Empress, overjoyed by these news, immediately sent her armies to claim these lands and resources. For the Jiiram, this meant great riches. For the Hathakut, it meant genocide.

The Hathakut were far too disorganized, and technologically disadvantaged to stand up against the iron and fire bellowing war machines of Jiiram. Their numbers dwindled, and they were continually forced to ever diminishing amounts of ever poorer quality lands. In the end, the remnants of all the clans were gathered in a small reservation, dispirited and without hope. It was here, during the darkest night of the year, that they all pleaded to Haaramhaa in unison, and begged him to return the peace they had taken for granted before.

Thus Haaramhaa, emboldened and empowered by the collective worship of all these people, moved to action. First he was gentle. He tried to negotiate, like he had negotiated with clan chiefs in times past, by sending offers for peace and truce along the biting winter winds to these invaders. But Haaramhaa's offers for Peace were ignored, left unheeded. But the more he was ignored, the more forceful Haaramhaa grew. His arguments grew louder, his winds stronger, his cold words ever more frigid. Yet he was ignored still.

But Haaramhaa was akin to a great glacier, impossible to budge from his chosen course. The more he was ignored, the more heavily he pushed back. It was only when his frigid wind grew enough to freeze down the machines of Jiiram, and make their boilers grow cold, and that their very lives were at stake that the troops actually heed him. Knowing that without their machinery they would certainly die in the frozen wastes, they begged Haaramhaa to save them. It was during this moment that Haaramhaa realized how Peace was best brought: by Force.

For their worship, their allegiance, Haaramhaa saved the Jiiramese invaders, his cold suffusing their very souls and essence. They lived, they survived, though only as cold, shuffling things, going about their daily tasks with mechanical, joyless routine. A Peaceful routine, noted Haaramhaa, and he found it pleasing. Thus given new Worshippers, Haaramhaa spread his demands for Peace ever further, beyond the shores of the Northern Continent, his influence grinding forward with a slow, but inexorable tempo.

Eventually Winter came to the heartlands of Jiiram too. It never left.

With the entire world in the grasp of soothing ice, and under the gaze of his crystalline overseers, Haaramhaa was content. The Hathakut would be at Peace now. Everyone would be at Peace now and forever.

Then again.

Perhaps there were others, elsewhere?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Aw yiss love a good warmaiden. Pretty solid across the board. I need to know more about Blood Magic, though. While interesting and well-written, I dont really understand what it is. Whats its purpose? How is it used? What does that look like? Im wary of giving it a thumbs up if its too anything and everything, ya know?

Xochi's first gift, blood magic, was never truly appreciated by her family. It is the art of using the genesis of all life (that she knows of, Xochi's world is extremely high-magic but also extremely low-tech. The wheel is a "charming dead-end" when you can summon a magical construct to carry your poo poo) to alter it. Blood magic can be used for healing and harm in equal measure, as long as the intended target is "born of blood". For example, you can use it to boil someone else's blood or stoke the body into a healing frenzy, closing a serious wound and making the body knit itself back together. Blood magic is never particularly subtle (for one thing you need to use your own blood to start a spell), not particularly useful against non-living things unless you're creative (for example, using it to spark the growth of bacteria and moss to rust off a door's hinges) and it cannot touch the minds of sapient creatures (because Kajitoz, the Jaguar of the Sky, is the one who gave them thought)

Tyrannosaurus posted:

You were one of the first of your pantheon but not the first. Who came before you and how are they stronger than you? Do you think theyll seek you out now that youve unexpectedly disappeared?

In the beginning, there was only Wakara: The lightless ocean without an end.

Pictured: Wakara, the Undertow, the Stillness and the Storm, She of Waves and Feathers

Wakara is the goddess of Water, Death, Storms, and Birds. She is the ocean's will and power, capable of summoning hurricanes that can flatten her ex-husband's best works, and in the end all life returns to the still, endless waters. Hers is the only realm that truly lasts forever. When Xochi was younger she looked up to Wakara, but after she created life they had a falling out (a running theme in Xochi's life). Xochi does not know if Wakara will care enough to look for her and would probably prefer to get home on her own anyway because Wakara is even less subtle than Xochi.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 24, 2018

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Tyrannosaurus posted:

So are you, like, a big building? As hilarious as it is to me to picture a factory twirling out of control through the stars and then crashing roof first into a sandy beach, I think it would be best if Industry had a different physical form.

I was going for being a concept, not a physical manifestation - with the reasoning that other Gods could totally hurt it anyway because, well, they're Gods. If you think a physical form is essential, then:

Also, in case it wasn't clear enough, I was going for an English Industrial Revolution vibe.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

You want to return to your people, the people who abandoned your worship and cursed your name. Youll need to forgive them for that. What does your forgiveness look like? Are you a loving god?

I am the one in need of forgiveness. It was my hubris, my mistake, my crime. I do not blame them. I hope to earn their forgiveness, and together build a better world once more. I will return, I will again protect them, and show them I have learned from the past. I love my people, and everything I do is with them in mind. If upon my return their minds remain set against me, I will weep but respect their decision. Only then will I search for a new people to shepherd.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Im charmed by Meteos earnest nature. I like this guy. Good hungers. Nice. As for domains, war makes sense. Art... doesnt. Nothing youve written shows me how or why Meteo would have command over that. As amusing as blowing things up is, I dont see a tremendous amount of artistic merit to it. God of Fire? Sure. God of Art? Not really. I would recommend changing it to something else or re-writing it to make it a more central tenant to his character. A more defining, more interwoven aspect. Think about who would worship him and ask for his blessings. You know what, thats going to make a great question for you.

Also, Recycling isnt a domain.

Tell me about your worshippers. Who were they? Were they madly fanatical in their devotion to you or did they simply ask for your power when they needed help?

Ah, by Art I of course meant the noble art of Heretek +2, not that nonsense with the brittle brushes! Yes, that.
Good old fashioned playing with all of the powers one "aught not play with", all in the name of progress! Can you tell me of a better way to make giant, world-shattering explo... *cough*.
Sorry. What I meant to say was; what better to make progress from even the most perilous of of beginnings, than to use every resource at hand, no matter the cost or source?
Of course, some would say that such wanton abuse of ley-lines and space-time is blasphemy, but that is ridiculous! I AM a GOD, after all, and if I say its alright, then who are they to argue? Most of the time it works out just fine!!

--

Oh, you wanted to know about [The Critters]? Lovely bunch of mortals! Why they'd scamper to and fro all across our asteroid belt doing me-knows-what to crystals and cell structures until something interesting happened! They were a right curious bunch, up until the incident at least, and we had what you might call, ah, a very open, contractual sort of relationship. They would build various interesting structures for me to inhabit and or destroy, use their sensory organs to emit pleasing frequencies or the like, and in turn I would funnel them along the mysteries of Creation and make sure their guns actually worked when they pointed them at [The Enemy], things like that. Not that their guns wouldn't have worked anyway, you understand, [The Critters] could be pretty smart when they got around to it, but they had what you might call a 'lax' philosophy when it came to safety. No idea where they might have gotten that from...

Needless to say, they needed Ol' Meteo to make sure everything went smoothly!

Oh, but they worshiped the other nearby deities to, from time to time. Mostly from the Pantheon of Disorder (Go team!!), I didn't take no offense to that. Pantheons got to stick together, you know? One or two might have strayed to [The Enemy], but they were mostly exiles or prisoners of war.
A shame, but it kept things from going stale!

--

As for recycling +2... You haven't heard? It only just got approved last [galactic cycle] by the Celestial Bureaucracy!
We had a little party for it and everything! Let me tell you, there is nothing quiet like a feast hosted by no less than six different variations on the Goddess of Nature to really let you shake away the stiffness of your metaphorical roots! Now, I know it's not your classic Domain like "fire", "wombats" or even "mutation" but I urge you to give it a shot! You'll soon see there is no end of useful applications! For instance, did you know that base elements can be sorted into new and exciting ones, with just a tiny dash of divinity? Or that old and worn clichs such as using blood to transport oxygen through various organs could instead be reshaped into what [The Enemy] used to lovingly call 'argh, purge the abominations!!', simple flesh golems with blood hydraulics running mostly on mana and corpses! They practically self-maintain!!

But if its just a pr-nightmare you are worried about, we could certainly work around that with some clever branding! Perhaps Transmutation would tickle your fancy?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Tyrannosaurus posted:

What is the most beautiful thing you ever had a hand in creating? What happened to it?

Ahh... The Imperial Regalia of the Grand Iskavalli Dominion. My gift to the lineage of absolute rulers at the very pinnacle of one of the largest empires ever beneath my purview. Prior to that, the Dominion had a somewhat meritocratic bent: Hierarchical, but there was no real sense of separation between the upper echelons and the rest. Social mobility was good, position could be earned, society was stable. A little too stable for the tastes of my Pantheon, and I was asked to make adjustments.

Oh, what a magnificent sight they were! A repeating motif was a rainbow in exquisitely cut gemstones, ruby, sunstone, imperial topaz, emerald, sapphire, indigo zoisite, amethyst. That pattern inlaid in the golden bracers from forearm to wrist in seamless bands. A grand necklace with it running down either side to a massive diamond in the centre, over the heart, and in a smaller choker with a diamond at the base of the throat. The crown... The crown scintillated, a narrow band of gold with fourteen spires, massive gems in increasing size with the amethysts flanking the biggest diamond of all, resting on the brow. It took the breath away just to look upon, and I don't even need to breathe!

It worked, too. In just a handful of generations, the Regalia inspired such greed and pomposity, hardening the heart, weakening the mind and rendering strident the voice of those who wore it that the Dominion first calcified, then fractured. The regalia was destroyed by the Flatteners, a militant movement that sought to end the rampant inequalities that had come to be. It was broken down and sold off, the proceeds going to the veterans responsible for bringing about the new order, the constituent parts dispersing unknown and forgotten across several successor states over time. So, an ephemeral beauty, but that only adds to the charm, does it not?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Gaia - Goddess of Nature

On her own world, Gaia was the representation of Nature, born as one of the oldest gods, just as the first animals started reaching sentience. For the longest time her power was unrivalled, as her domain encompassed everything on the world, from the hardy grasses on the highest mountain peaks, to the blind fish swimming through its deepest undersea trenches. Sure, there were other powerful gods, such as the God of Oceans or the Goddess of the Skies, but they had no quarrel and Gaia's creatures moved through their domains as they pleased. Gaia took great care to provide all her creatures with abundance.
This did not mean of course that their lives were pleasant in the terms that humans would later think of it, but everyone lived within the cycles of birth and death Gaia had set out for them and without major friction.
But as is the nature of Nature, there was no stasis, there was constant change, and one day one especially clever ape discovered how to make tools and another managed to master fire.
Gaia did not know it at the time, but this was the first day of her demise.
As she loved all her creations, she was happy for their achievement, and watched as they spread out of their native jungles and into other biomes, settling first the savannas and steppes, and later grasslands and even the nearly inhospitable tundra far away.
The second day of her demise was when a group of humans found a patch of grasses where they had discarded some seeds the year before and decided to return over the coming years.
Quickly they figured out how to erect structures and cultivate the grasses to maximise the seeds they carried. The settlements they built were small and opened up spaces for other life to move in: dogs, cats, mice and birds to name just a few, so Gaia did not think much of it and watched them develop and grow.
The third day came when the first enterprising human discovered how to mine and shape copper. For the first time the fires of Industry were lit, and advancements that were not in her domain were made.
Copper was quickly followed by Bronze, which was replaced by Iron and as their tools became more sophisticated, their numbers grew and their cities began to occupy more and more space.
The fourth day dawned when the first steam engine was discovered and humanity began ravaging the countryside in the pursuit of coal and steel. Their cities had swelled to become unhealthy pools of disease that polluted the soil and the rivers they were sitting on.
This was the first time it occured to Gaia that she was in danger of being killed, or worse enslaved by humanity. But she loved them, as they were her creation, so she was loathe to act against them. Surely they could not be shortsighted enough to destroy the nature that fed them every day?
She learned just how wrong she was on the fifth day, when humanity discovered how to extract the energy from oil and natural gas.
In their hunger they destroyed on a scale that was previously unseen: digging into unspoiled desert sands, poisoning acquifers, causing deadly earthquakes and killing millions of animals in oil spills. This was the day when Gaia girded her loins and became a Goddess of War.
She had already affected local climates before, a well placed forest would increase water retention and prevent top soil loss, turning scrubland into a fertile valley. A shift in a river's course caused by too ambitious beavers could turn wetlands into drylands further down the river's previous course. But now she went global, causing storms in the tropics of previously unseen size, causing a blizzard in April, killing off crops across a continent, growing deserts across the planets as she raised temperatures. If humanity was not going to desist from its destructive goals she would wipe it out. Entire forests went up in flames as parasites that previously died in winter could now survive through the year and rising sea levels caused by melting glaciers killed thousands by displacing them. The instability caused by all this killed billions across the world. Throughout all of this Gaia wept, as she still loved humanity, but they would not listen.
On day six, she thought she had won, as humanity swore off fossil fuels and set out on a rapid course towards renewable energies, transforming entire industrial sectors within years.
This turned out to be a ruse. On day seven Gaia awoke to find herself completely bound by chains. Beneath her notice, humanity had cracked the secrets of manipulating and creating DNA and had begun to enslave nature completely. Sure, they had already shaped nature to fit their needs before, but now they meddled in her godly domain, creating new life in laboratories, controlling the spread of entire species and wiping out ones they disliked. Gaia had become powerless before them, as they now controlled their environment completely.
Rather than giving up however, she managed to slip her bonds and, using her last bits of power, to leave her world entirely. This was where she found herself now, falling through nothingness for what feels like an eternity.

Domains
Nature: Her original domain, Gaia commands plant and animal life, she can freely create and modify all living creatures that are not too far removed societally from her precept.
War: Forced upon her by humanity, Gaia is a reluctant War Goddess, but she nonetheless pursued it when it was unavoidable, even though it was too late.
Climate: The tool chosen by her in prosecuting her war against humanity, she can manipulate large scale ocean currents, temperatures and precipitation in regions. While initially she operated mostly through plants, she has learned a lot during her war on humanity and has grown a lot more proficient in its application. She is now able to melt a solid glacier within just a few decades.

Hungers
Primitivism: Gaia has learned from her mistakes and will oppose attempts at large scale industrialisation, her ideal society would be one where no one race has an outsize impact on their environment.
Empathy: Gaia has a soft spot for her creations and is always willing to help them, it takes a lot to move her to decisive actions against them.

[*]Youre currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess? Is this a punishment? Were you cast of out of the heavens? Were you tricked somehow? Did you simply get lost?
It was a conscious decision to leave the planet that was lost to her
[*]What is the first thing youll do after you escape and return home?
As a result Gaia has no interest to return home, all that is left for her there is bondage and subservience.
[*]Youll see this tropical island long before you crash into it. It is uninhabited with no evidence of prior civilization. Whats something interesting you notice about the geography?
Something that most gods don't pay attention to is bacterial and microbial life, as it is supremely dull. On this island however the microorganisms don't just eat, process and multiply, instead they send weak electromagnet signals between each other, which are then repeated and sent to the next organism. This way these signals travel across the island, though incredibly slowly and probably hardly observable to mortals. It is unclear to Gaia what it is exactly that these signals do, seeing as she is currently falling towards the island. Could it be they're communicating? Perhaps it is even some form of intelligence that takes shape from these signals travelling?
[*]What do you hope to get out of a Godgame?
Watching civilisations rise and fall, getting them to cooperate and fight one another and following the stories of heroes through these conflicts.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 26, 2018

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
E'gar

Background:

E'gar comes from a family of war gods, the sixth brother of seven siblings. Consequently, growing up was a bit of a battle. He never really earned the respect of his brothers. Standing just shy of three feet tall he wasn't exactly the picture of martial glory. Armor never fit him quite right. He always looked silly carrying spears or swords. Even riding on a horse, which he could sort of do if strapped in very tightly, didn't help him stand out from an army of battle hardened soldiers. Mostly it just earned him a lot curious sideways glances.

Despite these obstacles, E'gar was a war god. It was in his blood. It was his lineage. If he couldn't compete with his brothers the way they expected him to, he resolved to compete with them in ways they never expected. So, he started out thinking armies. He started outlasting his enemies. While his brothers toiled crafting ever more muscular and imposing species to wage glorious war against each other, E'gar followed a different path, and crafted his first masterpeice. Locusts.

They were an overwhelming success.

And he didn't stop there. Mealworms were his next great victory. He followed that up with infectious fleas and wiped out three quarters of a continent. And from that moment on, after the great walled cities of the ancient world had fallen into chaos and pestilence, too starved to raise a respectable army, after that ... Well, that's when his family's attitude changed. From shameful resentment to resentful disgust.

He couldn't win for losing, not that he lost very often anymore. His family learned to accept that he was a force to be reckoned with, even his father would have to begrudgingly admit that he was the finest craftsman of life in the entire family. Possibly the entire pantheon. Now all they wanted was for him to stay out of wars. "Leave the fighting to the real men." They'd tell him. "I don't want your putrid little creations interfering in this war, do you understand?" And the most common of all. "In the name of all glories GO AWAY E'GAR!!"

It was music to his ears. Like the sweet chiming of war bells, on a blood soaked field.

Domains:

Pests +2
Isn't it amazing in some ways that a creature that lives a grand total of a week and measures a full centimeter long can build a reputation as a loathsome threat to civilization? Ever really thought about what it takes to crumble the infrastructure of a society? Think you could do it merely by existing? Well, pests can. Pests do. Pests don't even have to try.

War +2
The universe only has one undefeated army. And I am their leader. Does anyone win wars against mosquitos? Or fleas? Sure, you might win a battle against a couple termites. But has any one ever really defeated flies? As a race? Or are they, in fact, an unstoppable force of nature that will still be aggressively expanding their territory long after your soft, fleshy body has withered into damp plant food?

Big idiots in armor? Long metal sticks? Yeah, not really my thing. I say, "keep it simple, stupid". Wars are won with persistence, by creatures with simple needs. Like spiders. And leeches. Large swaths of the world are totally uninhabitable to lumbering high-concept mortals, because they've been run out by stinging gnats. And fire ants... You should see what I can do with rats...

Stealth +2
It helps to go undetected. You can't fight what you can't find. Is it glorious? My brothers are all about the glory of battle. I'll tell you whats even nicer than winning the admiration of your soldier buddies. Winning. If that involves retreating covertly into an air duct when things get out of hand, then I'm gonna be in the air duct. With the winners.

Hungers:

The Violated Sanctum
I've always felt more comfortable in places where I don't belong. Other people's temples ... other people's ships ... other people's picnics... the soft, scent-ridden sheets of someone else's bed. The more intimate, the more I want it. When I break into your home, I'm not just in your home. I'm wearing your bath robe. I'm cuddling your dog. I'm licking your silverware.

Sweets
HAVE YOU EVEN HAD SUGAR WATER?!?! Its better than blood! Its better than glory! It's better than sex! It is, factually, the greatest thing. I want it all over my body.

Interview:

Youre currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess?

Ants.

Is this a punishment? Were you cast of out of the heavens? Were you tricked somehow? Did you simply get lost?

Nah, this happens to me all the time. Every family has their ... little jokes. You know? This isn't the first endless void of stars my brothers have tried to flush me down, and it won't be the last. Don't worry about me; its just a family thing. A joke... I'll find my way home... I always find my way home...

Huh. The whole landmass is surrounded with beaches. Go far enough in any direction and you reach a beach.

... I've never really worked with beaches... But who ignores the opportunity to surround your enemies? If I conquer the beach, I can just work my way inland and take over the whole thing! Yeah! There'll be no where to escape to!

... I'm thinking something armored... With big claws.

My youngest brother has been getting a little uppity. He thinks he can war against my creations without using any soldiers at all! Noxious, poisonous clouds, dispersed by machines immune to the toxins they spread. And everyone in the family is rooting for him, of course.

I'll give him some credit, it's a clever idea. But he's still over thinking his creations. Someone has to put him in his place and since he's coming after me specifically, it falls to me to put him back down. I've got an idea. Most virulent thing I've ever made. If everything goes according to plan, they'll be able to survive thermo-nuclear fallout! Beheadings! Catastrophic floods! A little bit of poison is gonna be like a sunny day for these fuckers. My next masterpiece.

... I think I'll even teach them how to hiss ...

I like the idea of playing a war god game with the substantial handicap of not being even marginally good at fighting. I guess I'm curious to see how far I can get, and how large of an impact I can have on battles without actually joining battles in the traditional way. I'm hoping for E'gar to be funny and unsettling, an odd duck amoung war gods. I love watching underdogs take home the trophy and E'gar kind of embodies that by literally pitting armies of soldiers against little nuisances like ants or bedbugs. Even if he can't win using those methods, I'm gonna really enjoy watching more serious gods react to E'gar's creations as though they are legitimately threatening. Which, under the right circumstances, they certainly could be.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 27, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zhenwu (真武), the True Warrior Great Deity, the Mysterious Warrior, the Monk of the Mountains, the Lord of Martial Wisdom, the Master of the Way

Picture forthcoming.

Domains

War +2: All is struggle and battle. Zhenwu is, first and foremost, a god of warriors. His interpretation of war is on the personal scale, of great prowess and skill in battle, and he is the patron of martial artists, great knights and those for whom fighting is a lifestyle.

Wisdom +2: All struggle is with the self. Zhenwu is, first and foremost, a god of self-improvement and wisdom. All of life is a quest for self-mastery, and everything is a chance to learn more and to improve yourself.

Justice +2: All battle is for a cause. Zhenwu is, first and foremost, a god that protects people. He is distant, he is hard to understand, but his favor is granted to those who take their strength and wield it for others. A warrior fights for more than himself. Those who have no cause to serve, no people to protect, are weakest in the battlefield, for they cannot draw strength from that knowledge.

Hungers

Mastery: For all his wisdom, Zhenwu is arrogant as well. He is driven by the same love of self-improvement, martial power and skill that most of his followers are, and if he has the chance to prove that he is the greatest, that his strength is superior - well, he's probably going to take it.

Vengeance: A protector god is a destroyer god. Zhenwu is hard to anger - unless his charges are threatened. All battle is for a cause, and the cause of vengeance for the fallen, whom he failed to protect? That is the greatest cause there is.

-----

You're currently tumbling through stars. How did you get yourself into this mess?

Boredom, honestly. In a world that is at peace, in which balance is achieved, the warrior's skill becomes little more than a dance. And so...I left.

I underestimated the difficulty of leaving.

If it is a punishment, it is self-inflicted. I used most of my power to leave the peaceful paradise I had once been from, and...well. Turns out that's not as good an idea as it sounds!

Youfll see this tropical island long before you crash into it. It is uninhabited with no evidence of prior civilization. Whatfs something interesting you notice about the geography?

The wooded mountain at the center. It is an excellent potential home to many beasts - which is very useful, as the greatest martial arts were developed in part by watching and fighting beasts, and of course the crisp mountain air is useful as well! ...though, you know, also dangerous, because the beasts.

What is the first thing youfll do after you escape and return home?

Why would I do that? I don't want to live in paradise - it has no place for me.

I've never played one before so I want to see what they're like.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 26, 2018

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'll have feedback for completed apps tonight.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Tell me about the last time you were driven to pity, when your rage abated and you walked away without destroying something.

Sarthos's rage is like a river flood: it will end eventually, but when it's ongoing there is almost no way to contain it. He cares not for friend or foe, and anger nourishes his rampage like torrential rains swell a river. Weathering it is a fool's errand- but some were successful.

When Hatla, the squirrel-goddess of trees and harvest, and her wife Laphys, the swallow-goddess of wind and sun, discovered that Sarthos's latest rampage would cut a bloody swath inside their domain, they chose to try and divert him. Laphys flew high overhead, sending brilliant flashes in the bear-god's eyes, while Hatla grew great trees and forests to slow down his path. Sarthos smashed through the obstacles, but Laphys evaded him and managed to fly away, for five times.

She wasn't so lucky the sixth time. Sarthos snatched her out of the air, holding her between two bloody claws, raised her to his eye-level... and erupted in booming laughter.

"You two little ones gave me quite the exercise! I haven't had this much fun in centuries. I got so focused on grabbing you, that I forgot why I was angry in the first place. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for a nap. Do you have any comfy mountains ranges nearby?" And so, sudden as he came, Sarthos retreated and slept.

(Hatla and Laphys's followers celebrate their ladies's feat with a ceremonial retelling of the chase that evolved to become their world's most followed sport, but that is another story for another time)

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ran, The Firstborn, the Battlestar at Dawn, the Thunder That Tolls

Domain: Heroism +2
The Firstborn of Idrian the Overgod, Ran was to be the herald of his coming, the morningstar before his glowing light. She inherited all of his gifts, yet it seemed destiny that as he overthrow his father Triglav, and Triglav overthrew his creators the titans, so too would come the time that she would challenge the Heaven. For five of her six hands, she earned through her deeds a boon through a great trial: The bow of her huntress mother Heru that slew the dragon-corpse Nogad, a stolen thunderbolt from her sleeping grandfather Triglav, the shear of her wicked aunt Ragna that cut the strand of each mortal lifeline, the three-pointed trident that struck Meverab into Hell, the mirrored shield of the twin-natured Byblia that hid their true nature. She won the hearts of thousands, inspired entire generations to set off on quests to emulate her valor. She mastered both demons and dragons, and astride her immortal warcat, the Nemean, she sought the sixth and final boon from her father, his orichalum circlet.

And yet she lost, and that world refused to change.

Ran is a patroness to heroes. She inspires the desire to surmount obstacles that seem impossible, grants boons that confer mystical abilities, and empowers monstrous challenges that slay the unworthy. At the heart of heroism is a drive and zeal to sacrifice all that is important in the status quo, and throw one's own life into disorder, but it is not chaos that she manifests, though such might be wrought in her wake. Freedom might be the name of the cause she champions, but heroes often become tyrants once they have reached the summit. Of course, then they are heroes no longer, merely a dragon for the next to slay.

Domain: War +2
The Kingnamer Idrian ruled over a realm of eternal peace under the Silver King he had crowned, and he looked upon it all and it was good. yet One of his children, who had designs on his throne, would not stand for the state of affairs. Just as other gods had given their Benefices to the world, so did this unruly daughter give a Theft to the mortals of a secret that the gods kept, for they had taken the realm from the giants that came before with the magic called War. War was an unusual power that was unknown to mortal men before the unruly daughter told them that it is simple enough to have whatever you might want if you take it from another. So did sister turn against sister, cousin against cousin, daughter against father, mother against son. The Silver King was slain and his succession was warred over by ten thousand princes that all claimed in the successive generations to have been his heir in some way. In the last battle, the sun could not be seen in the haze as it rose over the corpses, only a single gleaming star in the sky.

And yet the sun still rose, and that world refused to change.

Ran is a harbinger of war. For her it is the means by which one makes your will on the world known. All power is derived from it. All worth comes from prowess in it. Every art and artifice must be in service or inspiration of it. Every level of one's life is a battlefield that must be won. She is the constant strategist and the perpetual tactician. Every one of her hands save one holds an instrument that was invented in the wake of war, or signals its coming. Her appearing in the sky comes only after it has been exhausted, such that she might relish in the sight of what she has done, knowing no shame or remorse in what is lost from it.

Domain: Insanity +2
At first, all was in order. The Firmament had been set and given shape by the cycles, the chasing of the Nemesis Stars among the sky, and the various celestial mansions in their place ruling over the dictates of fate, protected by Amunon-Dhoad, brother to Idrian-Ulm the sun. Yet he was wounded with a sudden burst across the sky, the first lightning bolt that cut through it. Suddenly, a plague of vermin and gouts of flame poured out as mortal ichor might. Bathed in this came the warchild, who screamed for her father to show himself, and yet none could stop her. Her screams and rage warped the minds of all that it came through. Only through the convergence of all of the gods, of all colors and tribes, coming together to seal her back up in the gullet of the starry mantle, and yet whenever she beat against the walls of her prison came the sound of thunder, as her servants fell from the heaven in their clashes even still with the gods. Still, the madness was over. Order was restored.

And yet it would happen again, and that world refused to change.

Ran is a vessel of insanity. The boundary between hero and madman is razor thin. The zeal she inspires has no room for rationality, and inspires great delusions and flights. Those that are touched by the power are also twisted by it, becoming in shape of mind and body completely unlike what they were before. Beautiful women are twisted by their vanity into snake-haired gorgons, and made immortal by their envy of the world. Star-crossed lovers become twisted into a singular being, a two-headed chimera with the tail of a scorpion. The monsters she commands to fight against the heroes are merely the twisted nightmares of humankind given flesh, and yet all the same spurs the greatest of their endeavors.

Hunger: Hopeless Causes
Ran is not drawn to strength. She is drawn to desperation and the willingness to fight when there is no possibility of success by mortal means. She comes riding in to save the meek and harried, and to make them into true heroes. Only the greatest threats to the world stir her, and her blood remains still at the thought of mere conflict between equals. She craves the possibility of a single individual standing against the gods, even herself, and with equal desperation rallies to the banner of any who might face against insurmountable odds. Those who have had her favor and overcome, may find themselves losing it once they themselves become no longer the underdog, which becomes...

Hunger: Victories Denied
Ran does not lust for success. She revels in failure, because that is the only place where one grows. She will sustain one beyond even the worst of defeats, if they still are true believers in a cause. But she will also abandon those same true believers at a crucial moment, when it all seems won, and let them work upon their own merits. She will even attempt to stymie them at times to indulge in her hunger, to maintain the vagary of fate. She is extremely fond of turning against the tyrants and great heroes she has helped to lift up, and will constantly change her allegiances and alliances with other gods along these lines, though rarely are they the subject of her specific attempts to avert victory, because only a mortal can truly understand defeat.

Questions posted:

Choose any three of the stories above. One, all, or none might be true. Ran is simultaneously the failed hero, the fallen rebel, and the imprisoned horror, and she is other things too. What she currently considers herself will vary from narrative to narrative, as she plays out sagas, sometimes at once, with different individuals mortal or divine, constantly in reinvention and conflict, even with herself.

There are waves of obsidian that curl up, as if being peeled off by the baking rays of the sun, alongside in a particular field spilling from a central volcano on the island. It creates many natural blades but seems to be slowly revealing something under the surface, that may have been centuries ago buried in the lava. What is causing it to peel away, and what might it reveal?

Why would I escape when there are ten thousand and more wars to fight here?

The central part of these games for me is the aspect of collaborative worldbuilding. I hope through influencing (or creating) mortals and cultures, manifesting demigods and creating features and artifacts, to create an interesting narrative through setting, as that's always been my strongest point, and hope to engage in that collaboratively with the other gods in this curiously unique premise and setup.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 26, 2018

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Are you a truly god or just a god-killer?

>Metaphysical attributes were gained over time.
>Mainly by absorption of ambient divine energy and prayers from %ENEMIES

ZERO-ONE has killed enough gods and had enough mortals praying to "The Destroyer" "The End" and other such honorifics that it has passed from "just" a god killer to a god in its own right.

Who were you created to destroy? Why?

>My first %TARGET was #GROGST. A cyborg race that was self-perpetuating by means of raiding new organics to add to their war machine.
>The #PROGENITORS created my kind to end their threat once and for all.
> %ALLIES perished in war against %ENEMY #GROGST. ZERO-ONE is sole remaining model.
> Retirement Contingency came into effect. Mercenary work for and against rival species.
> Twofold reasoning:
> Profit
> Maintain superior military by having lower cost and more efficient alternative to other races.

The progenitors had an impossible foe, cannibalizing any fallen soldiers or civilians they could find. So they made a machine race to fight it.
Long bitter conflict...
Victory by any means...
Childlike amorality...
Denial of resources... yadda yadda yadda both the Grogst and the progenitor race aren't around anymore.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Huiletos the Chivalrous, Patron of Knights, Poet of Battle, Exemplar to Lovers

Technically I said that your god should be a war god not a battle god but I dont actually care that much about technicalities and I like what you wrote and how you wrote it. It makes good sense for you character.

God of the Aristocracy is hilarious.

If you were to test a mortal for worthiness, what could such a test look like?

sheep-dodger posted:

Gaia - Goddess of Nature

Youre like number six in terms of people telling me about something in the dead middle of the island. Gaia is a nature goddess. Edit that out the big tree and instead tell me about something smaller, something that other gods might not have noticed.

If you could do it all over again, how early on would you have strangled off humanity? What species would you have prefered to take their place?

Let me know when youre finished so I can give you feedback and a question!

Mors Rattus posted:

Zhenwu (^), the True Warrior Great Deity, the Mysterious Warrior, the Monk of the Mountains, the Lord of Martial Wisdom, the Master of the Way
Picture forthcoming.

Really just need a picture.

How did you become so bored? Where were the other gods-- the ones capable of causing mischief and the ones who would take joy in disrupting your peace?

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Ran, The Firstborn, the Battlestar at Dawn, the Thunder That Tolls

Aight. Dope.

What is more important: the right weapon or the right enemy?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Made a very minor change (what Xochi sees as she falls), and did I answer your questions about blood magic to your satisfaction?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Made a very minor change (what Xochi sees as she falls), and did I answer your questions about blood magic to your satisfaction?

Yup! Thanks!

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tyrannosaurus posted:

What is more important: the right weapon or the right enemy?

The right weapon is most important. A hero is made of boons, deeds embodied in a material way that one can touch and see. Even the monk who wants for nothing has need of his body, having honed it like a blade, and carrying markers of this devotion, through the shaving of his pate, or the tattooing of his body. Further, without a weapon you cannot make war, as there is no instrument by which to make your will. Mortal ingenuity will constantly seek a right weapon naturally, to face the challenge before them.

The right enemy is most important. A hero is compelled by the stakes at hand, an challenge that must be bested and will take everything away from them. Even the wandering trickster runs away from his trouble, or even himself, an enemy that bites at his heel like a yapping dog and yet if he turns back will become as a pack of wolves and tear him apart if he forgets for a moment his role. Further, without an emey you cannot make war, as you must have something to take from through your will. Mortal factions will constantly seek a right enemy to unify against and give them purpose.

Neither is more important than the other. You need the right weapon for the right enemy. You need the right enemy for the right weapon. In each of my hands I carry a different gift, and each is wielded only for the singular enemy it is destined for. Your torch is for the hydra, your club is for the lion. And yet it is the gorgon that forces you to turn your shield, it is the sphinx that demands your sharpest wit. So many will be found unworthy of a weapon simply because they have sought to use it against the wrong enemy, but their failures only mark what is meaningful about the hero that finally wields it. So many will be found unworthy of an enemy simply because they have not the weapon to defeat it, which will make the final defeat all the more sweet.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Youre like number six in terms of people telling me about something in the dead middle of the island. Gaia is a nature goddess. Edit that out the big tree and instead tell me about something smaller, something that other gods might not have noticed.
Sure! I'll edit this into the original post:
Something that most gods don't pay attention to is bacterial and microbial life, as it is supremely dull. On this island however the microorganisms don't just eat, process and multiply, instead they send weak electromagnet signals between each other, which are then repeated and sent to the next organism. This way these signals travel across the island, though incredibly slowly and probably hardly observable to mortals. It is unclear to Gaia what it is exactly that these signals do, seeing as she is currently falling towards the island. Could it be they're communicating? Perhaps it is even some form of intelligence that takes shape from these signals travelling?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

If you could do it all over again, how early on would you have strangled off humanity? What species would you have prefered to take their place?
With hindsight, Gaia would have never let coal form. Introduce some strains of bacteria that more agressively decompose plant matter a few million years earlier and there would be no large scale coal deposits and thus no industrial revolution. Without as much forewarning and time to prepare, she would have cast humanity down after the invention of steam machinery. They wouldn't even have needed to be wiped out, just set back occasionally, say every hundred years or so, until their tendency for myth making and storytelling makes dabbling with steam engines taboo.
Gaia has no clear preference for any one species to replace humanity, she'd much rather let things develop independently and see who makes it. Those dolphin fellows look like a promising candidate to develop a form of society for example.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Really just need a picture.

How did you become so bored? Where were the other gods-- the ones capable of causing mischief and the ones who would take joy in disrupting your peace?

Picture acquired.

Anyway, as for boredom - the answer is enlightenment. The leader of our pantheon sought enlightenment, and chose to remain from ascending to a state higher htan gods to bring it to others. In the early days, I was his follower, and I helped him defeat demons and evil gods, and then he would speak to them and convert them into good citizens of the divine state. As above, so followed below - as the demons and evil gods were defeated, so too did our followers defeat evil men.

And so too did they follow our example in converting the defeated to a righteous life.

And for a time, that was enough, for the converted often fell from the path back to evil ways. But you must understand, we are gods. And we do not die. As more and more of our enemies were converted from evil ways, the skills of a warrior became less necessary. I would defeat foes, and their sons would not swear vengeance, for we did not slay their fathers. I would cast down demons, and they would not plot against us, for the August Sage of Nothingness would teach them how to abandon hate.

I admire him. I still agree with his cause. But...you must understand, I must ever strive. In the end, I faced a choice that was untenable. I could face ever smaller demons, for the greatest knew that they too could find a place under Heaven and work to cast aside their desires, until all that remained was peace, but I would never again fight a worthy foe. I could turn on my master, the August Sage, and become the greatest of any evil god, yet this would mean betraying my very core. Or...i could leave to seek out new foes, to spread the ideals of justice and enlightenment without abandoning the fact that I can never cast aside the desire to be stronger and to improve.

I chose the path that would not break me or defile my ideals. Where, you ask, were those who could make mischief and disturb peace? They lay in my past, and became my brothers. But I am not so eloquent as the August Sage of Nothingness, and it is not my nature to cast aside desire.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Technically I said that your god should be a war god not a battle god but I don’t actually care that much about technicalities and I like what you wrote and how you wrote it. It makes good sense for you character.

God of the Aristocracy is hilarious.

If you were to test a mortal for worthiness, what could such a test look like?

There are thousands of circumstances that can each provide a hundred ways to test for valor, artistry, intention, cleverness, honor, and et cetera. They can range from a minor point of courtesy to a whole quest. But there are certain 'classics' that I reuse because of how wonderfully versatile they are. One trial I've used many times is the "formidable bridgekeeper", who could be myself in disguise or a servant of mine that I've set to the task, or a monster suitable for the occasion. Ogres are good because they leave a lot of options open.

The process is thus: a lad or lass who's prayed for my aid sets off on some important journey. Probably to rescue someone, but let's not get bogged down in the details. At some point they reach a bridge, and the guardian I've set there won't let them cross. Being in a hurry, the candidate must then overcome the obstacle.

Not many are stopped in their journey by such a simple test, though a few are. A little more than that will take a detour, but I pick my locations so it's not a good option. A great many try bribery, or flattery, or lying. A few clever tricks, too. There are a bit more fights than attempts to swim or climb around, though not every fight is a good one. And of course there are a few special ones who take up a contest of wits or of artistry. I get a little bit teared up over those because it makes such a good episode in a story.

Only the quitters fail to get across eventually; I'm not cruel. What matters in my judgement is how they approached the challenge. A good fight or a daring climb is worth a lot more to me than a tale of woe or a dash for the gap. If I like their methods and they keep up the good work, then the blessings will accrue. A particularly shoddy effort or underhanded method and the youth will get to know every farrier, dentist, and repairman in his area quite well.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 26, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Fidelus, the Soldier God

I was born but the child of a God and a mortal woman, an unusually comely camp follower that served the legions of the Lupan Empire that worshipped him and his children. I never knew her. She died giving birth to me on a field of battle. I was raised by a soldier that was maimed in that battle. I grew up faster, stronger and fitter than most other children, and eagerly joined the legions. I became known for my prowess, my discipline, my unwavering obedience, and the inspiration I gave to others. A war started with a great opposing kingdom Didon, led by the son of one of their gods. We were ordered to stop him. In front of the gate of our city, I held my post, and though all my companions died, I slew him in single combat, routing the enemy but was mortally wounded.

My father descended upon the land, and recognized me as his, raising me to the ranks of the divine. I became Fidelus, the Soldier God. The legions worshipped me, one of their own who had joined the gods. As I was loyal to father, they were loyal to the Empire. And as the years passed, and I inspired the armies, empowered them, the Empire grew larger and larger, other peoples, other gods were made to bend the knee. Things were happy, simple. My father commanded conquest, I obeyed him, the legions obeyed me. Boats and carts filled with wealth and slaves returned to Lupa.

I am a soldier, not a diplomat. I did not see the gathering resentment of the gods who were meant to bend the knee, and the hostilities of their troops. I did not see how the poor found their jobs taken by slaves, growing in resentment, and the slaves were there in ever greater number, while the guards remained the same. Father relied ever on me. Even the other gods of our people he despised and offended, knowing none of them would dare to speak openly against him, lest I would be ordered to burn their temples. I was battling to conquer a new land when I heard the call of treason. I rushed back, the legions in my wake, fighting through the endless masses. Yet when I came to the city, it was too late. The Temple to my father was burned. He himself was slain by various other gods.

I stood with the legions, surrounded by foes, and our cause already lost. I would not lead soldiers into death for my own vengeance, I would not die for vengeance. And thus did I surrender. The gods, various, of many people were torn of what to do with me. They feared my power, respected my loyalty, craved my strength, pitied my loss. There were voices to slay me and be done with it, but they did not win out. Instead, several among the most powerful of gods, among them the true born son of my father who resented me as a bastard born, made me swear loyalty to each of them. I was to assist each of their armies equally, but I was to always serve them. And so I swore.

The years passed, and the different countries born out of the Empire's ashes went their own way. Initially, their common cause made them allies, and I was only called into war against those who had been beyond the border. But the years passed, and especially among humans, the memory of the common cause faded. And whenever soldiers were called, I would be there, making them obedient, disciplined, strong. The first wars among them turned into bloody massacres as soldiers did not break, fighting to the last. The fathers that never returned further caused a demand for blood vengeance among their children. Wars happened more and more, and soldiers, and family of soldiers burned offerings at my altar, and I grew more powerful by the decade.

I held no love for my new rulers, as I had loved my father. Yet I had accepted their command and thus had to obey them. And they did not love me, most of them having their lands and followers ravaged by soldiers ordered by their neighbors. But an army whose king refused the Soldier's God Blessing was likely to rout before it came to the battlefield. And as much as they hated me, they hated the thought of being conquered more.

It ended when I blessed both the army defending Lupa and the army storming it. The battle was long, bloody and brutal, and the city had mostly burned in the fighting. My half brother, most of his followers scattered cursed my name, and sought to slay me. Yet I had grown powerful through centuries of war, and dispatched him without any effort. The other gods took note of my power, and were afraid. They knew I had grown beyond them in power, and if they attacked me, I would not be bound by my loyalty any more. Yet as long as I was there, they knew they would wish to use me.

So they commanded me to leave. A gate was opened. I was commanded to go through. I suspected it was a trap. But until it was sprung, I was bound by command. And so I walked in, and as I fell, I accepted that I was released from service. But I would find a new commander, and I would tell him of the lands there. And hope he might lead me back there one day.

Domain War +2 Fidelus was born on the battlefield, raised by a soldier. War is his calling, his home, his existence. He is no blood eager warrior though, but a soldier. He doesn't take pleasure in the rush of one to one combat, but to have people come together to become a destructive force greater than one can be on their own.

Domain: Order +2 An army wins or loses by the discipline and obedience of its soldiers. Even civilians that fall under Fidelus' sway tend to be law abiding and working within a structure.

(unfinished)

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Let me know when youre finished so I can give you feedback and a question!

I'm finished!

... I sent you an @ on discord about this but, we're floating toward the bottom of the second page so I figure there was no harm in a bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
x

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 31, 2018

• Locked thread