Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Twelve by Pies posted:

Teba now has a bow with Midair Attack 22/21/18 on it and he absolutely destroys everything with his C6.

So a question about a couple of recipes I've looked around and can't find good answers on what they do. They would be the Wheat Bread (cooking effects +20%) and the Monster foods (all stats + x% but health - y%). I know the Monster ones sound self explanatory but I cooked the 15% stat boost one and it didn't seem like it did anything. I was running one particular mission over and over again for Hinox guts, and my character seemed to be doing the same amount of damage when I cooked the Monster meal, since I was finishing it off at about the same time as I was when I hadn't cooked it. Unless there's some sort of weird thing where enemies can't take more than a set amount of damage per hit, it would seem to do nothing.

The Wheat Bread boosts cooking effects but what does that mean exactly? If I cook Damage 10%/12% and then Wheat Bread does my damage get boosted by 42%? Warriors Dojo seems to think it doesn't, since when they talked about Zelda's rune damage being boosted by food, they said that everyone else is capped at a 32% boost from food. It's possible he forgot about Wheat Bread, or also isn't sure what it does, though.

They just seem to be weird recipes that have effects that aren't self explanatory or don't seem to do what they say they do.

Not adding a flat +20 percentage points, but multiplying the effect by 1.2 so that'd be 26.4%, not 42%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That makes Wheat Bread kind of even more useless then. The only thing I can think of for it is the "rare material drop rate 30%" recipe since there aren't any lower levels, but I never used that recipe and managed to finish all the quests just fine without having to grind anything (aside from the commendations, which wouldn't be affected anyway). But every other recipe has multiple levels that grant much more of a bonus than a 20% boost.

Anyway, does the "Improved Weapon Quality" seal work passively for anyone in a level or do the weapons have to be obtained by the character with the seal? Right now Kohga is the only one I have with that seal and while he's good I kind of don't want to have to do everything with him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finished the story and hosed around post-game for a bit, but I think I got all I want out of this game. Great 27 hours, but I think I'm not into musou quite enough to want to max out all characters and take on the hundreds of extra missions. Still had a blast, story has me super curious

had to have it explained to me that Terrako's deal is that Zelda's powers kicking in during hte original timeline is what gave him those super duper powers, makes sense.

I really hope 2 uses the disparity between the original timeline and this one. Like, immediately Terrako lightens the scenario drastically by allowing everyone to use the sheikah slate's boosted powers, and specially helps mend Link and Zelda's relationship. I feel that means that a lot of what we see in AoC is a "lighter", more optismistic version of events from the original timeline that could be referenced in 2. Like, say, how Link obtained the master sword in the original timeline leading to Deku Tree not being optimistic enough to go into slumber, or that Aster's plans worked so much better that he never betrayed the Yiga Clan. But I'm also worried that 2 will simply ignore AoC.

I guess in my head it mostly depends on what's in the basement. If that mummy was Aster then 2 could dwell into who he is and why he did things, and how it backfired into becoming a rotting vessel. Probably meaning that in both timelines he used future knowledge.

Still glad we could see things play out, and the tone of the game's pretty good, makes me interested in speculating how things went into the original timeline, how many more losses the gang had to make Zelda even more on edge.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

I guess in my head it mostly depends on what's in the basement. If that mummy was Aster then 2 could dwell into who he is and why he did things, and how it backfired into becoming a rotting vessel.

Gotta admit, I hadn't thought of this possibility until I read this - that would certainly make for an interesting way to tie AoC into the official canon

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So in, postgame is the most effective way to do everything just to fire on the sensor for a few things (I've got it up to 10 simultaneous things now) and slowly just hit up the missions with green circles while visiting the shops in between them completing them?

Some of the story missions are quite long so I wasn't sure if there were a few specific and quick missions that drop pretty much all items to save me spending 10 minutes just getting one melon or whatever.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh hey, Jirard fully completed Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5siRHAQXIs

1,020 hours.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Whats a good way to get lots of wood? I'm in the postgame and a bunch of upgrades require lots of it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Zaggitz posted:

Whats a good way to get lots of wood? I'm in the postgame and a bunch of upgrades require lots of it.

Make an effort to chop down trees. The first mission has a bunch if you want to grind for them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh hey, Jirard fully completed Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5siRHAQXIs

1,020 hours.

100% Completion is often a fools errand but it's an especially big fool's errand for Hyrule Warriors.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So I think I've found the fastest way to farm rupees, which is to cook the drop rate food to bump yourself up to +45%, add on any bonus you get from weapons, and then grind the desert mission with 1000+ weak enemies for parts to sell.

However, how the hell to I get the store clerk who pays double for monster parts to appear? Is it random?

Also these last missions you unlock after getting the final character are supposed to be brutal even on the easy difficulty yeah?

I've got a max level link and couldn't get the Fort mission completed due to the time constraints and boss health bars.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

So I think I've found the fastest way to farm rupees, which is to cook the drop rate food to bump yourself up to +45%, add on any bonus you get from weapons, and then grind the desert mission with 1000+ weak enemies for parts to sell.

However, how the hell to I get the store clerk who pays double for monster parts to appear? Is it random?

Also these last missions you unlock after getting the final character are supposed to be brutal even on the easy difficulty yeah?

I've got a max level link and couldn't get the Fort mission completed due to the time constraints and boss health bars.

If you're talking about Siege of Fort Hateno, the timer only goes down if there's a guardian in your base. Keep someone posted there and switch to them any time you see a dot moving towards the right side of the screen.

Incidentally, I find that mission a good place to farm weapons, though if there's a blood moon out I'll go for that just for variety's sake.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Alacron posted:

If you're talking about Siege of Fort Hateno, the timer only goes down if there's a guardian in your base. Keep someone posted there and switch to them any time you see a dot moving towards the right side of the screen.

Incidentally, I find that mission a good place to farm weapons, though if there's a blood moon out I'll go for that just for variety's sake.

Aha, so that's the trick.

Also what's more important for those missions that are quite malice filled: The master sword just being the master sword or the pure damage stats of a different weapon?

I've got the master sword up to about 82 but my 2 handed weapon is at 106 just now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In Age of Calamity, is there a specific trigger for Blood Moon missions? Or is it random after you clear a stage? I want to get the rest of the Korok Seeds but going back through the early missions with an overpowered team sounds boring. I understand that you can complete other missions to move the blood moon around but it has to spawn first.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
From personal experience it’s just randomly picked after every stage

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yaaaaaay finally got to the credits on AoC! :neckbeard:

Great game! I really enjoyed it.

While I was watching the credits, it played a snippet of the scene where Zelda unlocks her Sealing power and a thought struck me...

She finally managed to unlock it because she wanted to save somebody. That don't sound like Wisdom to me. I swear she's actually Courage.

Now excuse me while I go dive into the post game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So just finished off the last of the Koroks and i'm pretty much done with the game.

All the missions are done but i really can't be bothered getting everybody up to level 100 or getting any weapons up to level 30.

Overall it was fun but is definitely weaker than the first Hyrule Warriors.

Going through the Korok Seeds just help drive home the point that replaying the levels just aren't fun because it's all just about running from A>B to kill a specific enemy and that's about it. Every level is pretty much that and it looks nice, but it means that once you've done a side level, there's no real entertainment or point in going back to play it again unless you're grinding for a specific material.

Hell, you don't even have to go back to half of the levels in retrospect.

The original HW had the story mode which had goals for completing every difficulty as well as skulltullas to collect (including a unique requirement to unlock them). Then you had the adventure mode where there's the main mission requirement (which had a few different variations) as well as rankings based on how well you did. That ranking sometimes had to be good enough to let you progress. On top of that there were more skulltullas that were used to unlock extra missions.

AoC is a good game, but i get the feeling if it wasn't BoTW themed it wouldn't be getting as much praise.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Do you ever get an item that puts korok seeds on the mini-map of each level, like the one for treasure chests? Or is it ONLY the one where you can see how many they are at the world map, but not their locations on the level map?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hyrule Warriors didn’t have more than one adventure map at launch and the villain story and Linkle story were added later, the DE has literally years worth of added content so it’s not a fair comparison. If you compare the amount of content in AoC to Hyrule Warriors on WiiU at launch, it probably has about the same amount of content. Nothing says they won’t add more to AoC with updates and/or DLC. I find it likely considering the game sold very well and people are hungry for more BOTW content, but BOTW2 probably won’t be out for another year.

Edit: certain weapons get a Korok seed detection skill on lv 25.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Lakitu7 posted:

Do you ever get an item that puts korok seeds on the mini-map of each level, like the one for treasure chests? Or is it ONLY the one where you can see how many they are at the world map, but not their locations on the level map?
It's an unlock for Zelda's most powerful galaxy tab.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hyrule Warriors didn’t have more than one adventure map at launch and the villain story and Linkle story were added later, the DE has literally years worth of added content so it’s not a fair comparison. If you compare the amount of content in AoC to Hyrule Warriors on WiiU at launch, it probably has about the same amount of content. Nothing says they won’t add more to AoC with updates and/or DLC. I find it likely considering the game sold very well and people are hungry for more BOTW content, but BOTW2 probably won’t be out for another year.

I specifically didn't talk about the DLC. Everything I mentioned was in the base game.

HW had 18 original story missions before the DLC, AoC has 20. AoC has 161 challenges vs the HW 128 so it beats it, technically.

However, the majority of Challenges in AoC constitute to 3-4 minute jaunts that involve capturing a base and/or killing a specific elemental enemy or sub-boss. You also do them once and you're pretty much done with it. Unless you're grinding some of them for specific items, though I'd say I only had to revisit 7 or 8 of them for the bits and pieces I didn't get naturally or via shops.

The original HW adventure mode missions were on average 10-15 minutes long if you were speed-running them to get the A rank. They also had reasons to replay them (such as the skulltullas or heart pieces). The same thing goes for the story mode. Sure, there were 2 missions fewer, but you had a reason to replay them again too (difficulty and skulltulla requirements) which wasn't the mind-numbing fetch quest for Koroks that you really need a guide for in AoC.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 21, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'd like to see more missions based on battlefield management, but I guess they were really proud of how much improved the officer and boss fights are in this one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I guess it’s a matter of opinion then, because I much prefer the shorter side quests. The main story missions in AoC are definitely longer than the ones in the original, too, and contain secrets and materials and stuff. Also don’t forget that in the WiiU Hyrule Warriors you had to knock down a giant boss three times before you could completely break their WPG which artificially padded out tons of missions and made some of them incredibly difficult to A rank. Hyrule Warriors was rough at launch.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I guess it’s a matter of opinion then, because I much prefer the shorter side quests. The main story missions in AoC are definitely longer than the ones in the original, too, and contain secrets and materials and stuff. Also don’t forget that in the WiiU Hyrule Warriors you had to knock down a giant boss three times before you could completely break their WPG which artificially padded out tons of missions and made some of them incredibly difficult to A rank. Hyrule Warriors was rough at launch.

What secrets and materials in the story missions are you talking about? Chests and Koroks? The Koroks are a mundane fetch quest to 100% the game and get the last costume piece. The treasure chests are full of forgettable junk.

In 2 years I'm not gonna fire up AoC and replay any of those challenges, because what's fun about them? Go on, tell us?

HW I've already played through 3 separate times on the 3 consoles it's come out on. The missions (despite their flaws) draw me back in because they're still fun to play. That's because each one has you doing a whole bunch of things to win the map and doing so (by gradually eradicating the enemy army) is just satisfying to see happen.

And as for the improved officer fights, for all of the time I spent waiting for a hit point gauge to show up on one of the original game's bosses, i'd still rather fight them than yet another one of the officer/boss fights in this. There's just far too many of them and it becomes a tedious slog when you see another HPG you need to deplete.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm not sure how being able to actively participate in battle, using things like runes (especially stasis) and rods, and even certain strong attacks to force a WPG appearance is more of a tedious slog than standing around waiting for a Dodongo King to use the one attack it has that you can make a WPG appear from and then having to do that two more times, just standing around waiting for it to do the one attack and then it decides it wants to shoot the projectile fireballs or just roll around like an idiot. How is being able to actually fight bosses more of a tedious slog than that?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's hilarious to call one game a 'tedious slog' when the other makes you fight The Imprisoned, more than once.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not sure how being able to actively participate in battle, using things like runes (especially stasis) and rods, and even certain strong attacks to force a WPG appearance is more of a tedious slog than standing around waiting for a Dodongo King to use the one attack it has that you can make a WPG appear from and then having to do that two more times, just standing around waiting for it to do the one attack and then it decides it wants to shoot the projectile fireballs or just roll around like an idiot. How is being able to actually fight bosses more of a tedious slog than that?

I'm guessing because in HW1 on an average map you fight maybe half a dozen giant bosses + commanders, while in AoC you can have several dozen moblins, guardians, base leaders and commanders? Less time spent fighting per but more overall, something like that?

In any case I sort of agree that AoC is a good game but not everything is better than HW1, all I've left in AoC is getting all the Korok seeds and once that's done I'll put it down until they're releasing DLC. I've had fun up until now, but running AoC bloodmoon maps to grind weapons and levels feels so tedious in a way chipping away at HW1's adventure maps don't.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Bell_ posted:

It's an unlock for Zelda's most powerful galaxy tab.

Good! Thanks folks!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Twelve by Pies posted:

In general I would say that the actual combat in Age of Calamity is a significant improvement over the original Hyrule Warriors, but that they almost completely excised all the strategic elements and I miss them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

YggiDee posted:

It's hilarious to call one game a 'tedious slog' when the other makes you fight The Imprisoned, more than once.

Remember OG Hyrule Warriors when the game automatically forced The Imprisoned to get up at half WPG?

Antilles posted:

I'm guessing because in HW1 on an average map you fight maybe half a dozen giant bosses + commanders, while in AoC you can have several dozen moblins, guardians, base leaders and commanders? Less time spent fighting per but more overall, something like that?

Maybe, but I still feel like a combat system that rewards active involvement and taking initiative will always be less of a slog than one that forces you to wait around for minutes at a time until the enemy does the one thing that makes it vulnerable.

Rand Brittain posted:

In general I would say that the actual combat in Age of Calamity is a significant improvement over the original Hyrule Warriors, but that they almost completely excised all the strategic elements and I miss them.

I don't know that that's true. While a lot of characters do have attacks that can force WPG appearance, you still have to actually be able to get those attacks off, which isn't always possible especially with aggressive enemies like Lynels. There's also a lot of strategy in how you approach some bosses. Link for example, if you use his one handed weapon, he can shoot arrows with his ZR attack, which can be used to force Hinoxes to stumble over and reveal the WPG kind of like in the original BotW. And they still have the "Use a particular attack to expose the boss's WPG" the original Hyrule Warriors had, it's just now there's multiple ones like a Lynel being vulnerable to Cryonis if it charges, or bombs if it's about to breathe fire, rather than "You only ever use the Boomerang on Manhandla."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can arrow charging Lynels in the face but you have to be very fast.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know that that's true. While a lot of characters do have attacks that can force WPG appearance, you still have to actually be able to get those attacks off, which isn't always possible especially with aggressive enemies like Lynels. There's also a lot of strategy in how you approach some bosses. Link for example, if you use his one handed weapon, he can shoot arrows with his ZR attack, which can be used to force Hinoxes to stumble over and reveal the WPG kind of like in the original BotW. And they still have the "Use a particular attack to expose the boss's WPG" the original Hyrule Warriors had, it's just now there's multiple ones like a Lynel being vulnerable to Cryonis if it charges, or bombs if it's about to breathe fire, rather than "You only ever use the Boomerang on Manhandla."

That’s all part of combat, not strategy.

I can’t recall a single time in AoC where I needed to give a drat what was going on elsewhere on the battlefield, even on the mandatory duo challenges.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah okay, yeah. Age of Calamity definitely dropped the ball on that. You can essentially ignore most things going on on the battlefield, I assume it was purposely designed like that so you could run around and try to find Koroks without having to worry about things, but I feel that's a bad design decision.

The closest I came to having to worry about what was going on elsewhere on the battlefield was the mission where you have to rescue Mipha/Daruk from their Divine Beasts during a Blood Moon while I was searching for Koroks. Mipha was down to a sliver of her health before I was able to get into Vah Ruta.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There are several side missions that focus on defending your outposts like Defending Akkala Citadel and the Siege of Fort Hateno, plus all the ones where you defend your outposts while capturing the enemy’s. But there are only small number, the game is clearly more focused on combat. Maybe they’ll do more traditional Musou strategy missions in future DLC?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There are several side missions that focus on defending your outposts like Defending Akkala Citadel and the Siege of Fort Hateno, plus all the ones where you defend your outposts while capturing the enemy’s. But there are only small number, the game is clearly more focused on combat. Maybe they’ll do more traditional Musou strategy missions in future DLC?

I wouldn't object to this, since the bits they did add I like quite a bit.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I'm just so excited to see what they may do for DLC. If it was anything like OG Hyrule Warriors, I'm hoping for a ton of DLC content.

Definitely hope they bring back Linkle! She was a blast to play as, both with the bow and the boots.

If they introduce more weaponry (more than likely for Link), my offbeat request would be the MasterCycle Zero. Like it was weird enough in BOTW, I can only imagine how ridiculous it would be in Hyrule Warriors. It's also the sort of thing that KT could make work too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I picked up the game without trying the demo first. Something about how choppy it runs is giving me headaches. I'm only three levels in and the first was worst, but the other two weren't great either. Story seems interesting so it's a bummer.

Any tips for improving performance or which characters run smoothest?

Edit: Read up a bit and found 3 options. I would still like any advice on which characters have the least impact on performance, for example it's just consistently worse with Impa's clones on the field.

1. Play in handheld mode. The small screen might help. A shame but I'll try it.

2. Mod my Switch and overclock. Honestly, I can't be assed at the moment.

3. PC Emulation. It's far from perfect but performance on good hardware seems ok.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 23, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

It’s a Warriors game. Embrace the jank.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I haven't gotten 100% quite yet, but honestly I'm feeling I reached the end of content a little too quickly in this one. Really hope we get some big dlc maps/missions like in the first Hyrule Warriors. Even if you did grind for endgame weapons and everything, theres not really much to use them on!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Warriors Dojo put up a couple more videos, Daruk and Kohga. To the surprise of nobody, Daruk is classified as "fine" and the other is one of the strongest characters in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Heran Bago posted:

I picked up the game without trying the demo first. Something about how choppy it runs is giving me headaches. I'm only three levels in and the first was worst, but the other two weren't great either. Story seems interesting so it's a bummer.

Any tips for improving performance or which characters run smoothest?

Edit: Read up a bit and found 3 options. I would still like any advice on which characters have the least impact on performance, for example it's just consistently worse with Impa's clones on the field.

1. Play in handheld mode. The small screen might help. A shame but I'll try it.

2. Mod my Switch and overclock. Honestly, I can't be assed at the moment.

3. PC Emulation. It's far from perfect but performance on good hardware seems ok.

The first hyrule field of the game has by far the worst performance of the entire game. It gets better after that but it's unfortunate that that's what you get to see in the demo. Maybe look up gameplay of later levels to see how it looks to you?