Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Impa is probably the most choppy to play as. With her three symbols up and doing her special, the game stutters real bad on the switch lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If you can’t deal with periodic choppiness do not play co-op, it doesn’t happen often but when there’s a lot going on on-screen frame rates dip into the single digits when playing co-op

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

VaultAggie posted:

Impa is probably the most choppy to play as. With her three symbols up and doing her special, the game stutters real bad on the switch lite.

You don't even need to do her special, just line the clones up vertically against an enemy, expose a weakpoint and proceed to attack.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I use her special just as her three clones are about to expire. It gives you one clone after so you can start over again. Having special charge + is a huge bonus.

Edit: and special attack +. I used Impa for all the high level missions, she absolutely shreds bosses.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 25, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Can I just casually toss in a hearty "gently caress you!" to the Hair-Width Trials? Yes, let's take the "all attacks are devastating" maps from the first HyWar, except instead of the enemy also having the same one hit and you're dead restriction as you do, let's give them normal health and you still fail if a Bokoblin so much as breathes on you too hard!

Please say that Expert+ is the last one of these awful maps. I cheesed the hell out of that one with Revali and copious use of ice rods and I feel not a single shred of remorse.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Expert+ is the last one. It has a Korok, though, so I hope you found that.

I outranged most of the map with Zelda's second weapon.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Well, there's only 4 of them. Also don't forget you can use the fairy bottle to tank one hit, and some of them have checkpoints as well.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

You can also destroy them with the universal solution to all problems in this game: Teba, whose attacks are almost all huge-range projectiles, especially his Unique Action which can cancel out attack recovery animations and his C6 which puts him out of range of almost all attacks and deals terrifying damage.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Also don't be afraid to use your rods, especially on the last one.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I haven't done the third HWT yet but for the first two I cheesed them with Link throwing bombs. They go a surprisingly long way.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
For some reason, I didn't have any problems with the Hair Width Trials until the very last part of the last mission (which was a new level of bullshit, admittedly)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ElegantFugue posted:

You can also destroy them with the universal solution to all problems in this game: Teba, whose attacks are almost all huge-range projectiles, especially his Unique Action which can cancel out attack recovery animations and his C6 which puts him out of range of almost all attacks and deals terrifying damage.

Hmm. I used Revali. Guess I can try him if I decide to retry that level for the Korok.

But I probably won't. I didn't bother collecting all Koroks in BotW and I see little reason why I should here!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Unfortunately you need all the korok seeds to complete all the quests and get that sweet, sweet scarf for Link.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They are a lot easier to get in this game compared to BOTW because there are significantly fewer.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Finally unlocked the first post-game character. Took me a long time!

He's neat, and there's another character I can unlock... somehow? But I'm starting to feel like I'm done. Game was fun! I'm just getting kind of sick of hunting around the map for extra missions and whatnot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I think I'm done at this point, after unlocking Calamity Ganon, who is not actually that much fun to use.

My verdict is pretty much the same as before; this game is pretty neat and improves on the combat system of Hyrule Warriors, but it's completely devoid of the strategic element and is thus kind of boring. I am prepared to take this back if they release DLC that has a bunch of actual musou-type content.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there any downside to playing on easy?

I'm on chapter 6 and just want to vast through to 100%.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I think just less rupees in rewards?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The only downside is bragging rights.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh thank God. I don't care how many people know how small my ePeen is.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I turn down the difficult mission for any mission that is like "fight multiple lynels at once and no healing" or any "don't get hit" mission, because those are not fun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I think I'm done at this point, after unlocking Calamity Ganon, who is not actually that much fun to use.

My verdict is pretty much the same as before; this game is pretty neat and improves on the combat system of Hyrule Warriors, but it's completely devoid of the strategic element and is thus kind of boring. I am prepared to take this back if they release DLC that has a bunch of actual musou-type content.

Yeah honestly same. I kind of like not having to worry about rankings, though. If there were more full maps with objectives like in HyWar, but without the stupid-rear end requirements for A-ranking, I might be more inclined to keep going. I'm just a bit sick of "Go here, beat up a few enemies, ok now you're done."

The main "challenge" seems to be more them throwing multiple Lynels at you, or the 'don't get hit' missions, which I don't find fun at all.

Still I definitely got my money's worth out of the game and I thoroughly enjoyed the story! Game is good.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rand Brittain posted:

I am prepared to take this back if they release DLC that has a bunch of actual musou-type content.

I don't see the post launch DLC being anything but a few characters and associated quests, there won't be anything like adventure mode added because I just don't see how they could fit it in, there's no select screen because loving everything is shoved into a single REALLY crowded map.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
They could do a new map, but then that would go against the heavy BOTW world they've gone all in on.

It also feels like they've gone to the effort to make this distinctly different to HW1 rather than just improving the odd thing here and there. It plays quite differently.

I don't thinl we'll see DLC anything like what HW1 had.

It'll probably be more story mode content or something given how cutscene heavy the game is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I never really found Normal difficulty that difficult outside of one or two spots, I know everyone has different skill levels though. I watched Vinny play it and he played on Hard for a while and outside of enemies doing a bit more damage, the biggest reason it was difficult seemed to be a complete lack of apples. A lot of people said it sort of feels like there should be a difficulty between Normal and Hard because the jump is just huge.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm expecting DLC to add the four characters that people found evidence of from data mining: Robbie, Purah, Astor, and Sooga. All seem (not just from the data mining, but from their conspicuous absence) like they were intended, but cut. But I do imagine they need some new levels; I'm not sure I'd want to pay $5-10 for new characters just to keep hunting chests/koroks or whatever.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
At this point I'm half expecting a Master Quest DLC map. Seems like the obvious way to go for a first DLC since they did it with HW and HW:L

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I never really found Normal difficulty that difficult outside of one or two spots, I know everyone has different skill levels though. I watched Vinny play it and he played on Hard for a while and outside of enemies doing a bit more damage, the biggest reason it was difficult seemed to be a complete lack of apples. A lot of people said it sort of feels like there should be a difficulty between Normal and Hard because the jump is just huge.

Yeah, Hard definitely seems designed for people who spend time doing most of the side missions as they appear, both to restock on apples and to level characters and weapons. Vinny didn't bother to do that, and neither did I in my solo run before I co-op'd with a pal, so he eventually got outpaced by the game. Very Hard is basically Chaos difficulty from older games, and I tried one map with it and went "Nah I'm Good" after that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there anything special about blood moon levels other than "higher level = better loot"?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there anything special about blood moon levels other than "higher level = better loot"?

The skybox changes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Guan Yu Mipha just destroys everything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thats a nice weakpoint gauge you got there, be a shame if someone can make it appear at will.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

What are the secrets for Mipha? I always feel like I'm using a version of Ruto with slightly more damage in exchange for way less AoE and some occasional healing (that I only need because Mipha isn't as good at killing as the rest of the cast). Which is impressive, because Ruto wasn't exactly good, even if I enjoyed using her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ElegantFugue posted:

What are the secrets for Mipha? I always feel like I'm using a version of Ruto with slightly more damage in exchange for way less AoE and some occasional healing (that I only need because Mipha isn't as good at killing as the rest of the cast). Which is impressive, because Ruto wasn't exactly good, even if I enjoyed using her.

Popping out of the water makes it very easy to smack things in the head and automatically open their weak point gauge.

Also her puddles heal allies which would be incredible if you ever needed that but you don’t.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hyrule Warriors didn’t have more than one adventure map at launch and the villain story and Linkle story were added later, the DE has literally years worth of added content so it’s not a fair comparison. If you compare the amount of content in AoC to Hyrule Warriors on WiiU at launch, it probably has about the same amount of content. Nothing says they won’t add more to AoC with updates and/or DLC. I find it likely considering the game sold very well and people are hungry for more BOTW content, but BOTW2 probably won’t be out for another year.

Edit: certain weapons get a Korok seed detection skill on lv 25.

HW1 didn't have more than one full size adventure map at release. The skulltulas unlocked a mini adventure map though!

I do hope we get similar amounts of support though, HW1 got some free characters in addition to dlc chars/weapons so I hope for that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zelda's second weapon would own if only you could cancel out of her canned stasis attack like most characters. Alas...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ElegantFugue posted:

dont think of her like ruto think of her like trident ganon

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Well, I guess I've done everything I can except get all the Koroks and chests (and thus finish the last objective) and beat everything on every difficulty. I guess get everyone to 100 too, I guess. Most of mine are at 80.

I started off doing everything on Very Hard, but was getting really bored of the gameplay. Then I put it on Easy to just finish the game. Now I am going through building up my skills (and I mostly have ignored weapons thus far) and am enjoying a lot of stuff. The story stuff in Chapter 5 was great.

I was really looking forward to this game because I wanted a sequel to Hyrule Warriors and also because I wanted more backstory to Breath of the Wild. It kind of failed in both regards, for different reasons (I recognize that the gameplay in AoC is better in basically all respects to HW, but I put in a ton of time into the latter and kind of miss it; also, the split timeline thing was annoying at first , but I liked it a lot from like Chapter 5 on). That being said, this game is better in most respects than I wanted or than I could have asked for. The first HW was a love letter to Zelda games pre-BotW, and this one is a love letter to BotW.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just 100%ed it, which I'm defining as clearing every icon on the map. 55 hours total. Yunobu ended up being my favorite character once I got the hang of him. The ability to easily force a weakpoint gauge against anything is really nice. Riju wins the award for character I wanted to like the most but really just didn't. Maybe she's a lot of fun with a level 30 weapon with a bunch of dash attack damage seals, but you have to play her a ton without one to get to that point and she just wasn't very fun/satisfying/effective to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What is the highest level 1 weapon damage I should be looking for to start investing heavily in? Does it vary from weapon to weapon? For some I've found up to 70 base power at level 1, but for others I can't find more than base 60. And for Link, I found a savage lynel sword that is at base 76. Is there a cap to level 1 weapon power?