Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Age of Calamity demo is fun but I am extremely skeptical of the direction the story takes. Throwing in time-traveling R2D2 and making it an AU instead of a true prequel feels kinda cheap to me. I know not everyone would be down for the guaranteed downer ending but I think "this game is a non-canon AU" is a lot less satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hogama posted:

Seems the highest count found is 6 per level now. Gonna be some really out of the way and non-obvious ones for sure.

Another thing from the demo (not datamining this time) - the combo screen seems to imply that Impa only gets the one weapon, but that Zelda will have at least one more (maybe based on her sealing magic?) - look at the weapon names in white. There's nothing on Impa's. Might just be a relic of the demo build, though.

yeah i had the same thought based on the combo upgrade nodes on the map, zelda and link's are referred to by their weapons, while impa's is referred to by her name.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Harrow posted:

The Age of Calamity demo is fun but I am extremely skeptical of the direction the story takes. Throwing in time-traveling R2D2 and making it an AU instead of a true prequel feels kinda cheap to me. I know not everyone would be down for the guaranteed downer ending but I think "this game is a non-canon AU" is a lot less satisfying.

There's no reason both outcomes aren't possible. Think of Dynasty Warriors 8 as a most recent example. Branching paths, ways to prevent things from going completely to hell, with certain conditions attached that might be annoying as gently caress to pull off.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

i don't know how you could have played the original HW and expected a dark gritty serious "everyone is literally pre-emptively guaranteed to die at the end" game for the sequel, this is advance wars not days of ruin

also i'm contractually obligated to laugh at everyone up in arms about time travel not being a thing in zelda games when at least three of them, including the frequently-argued-as-best one, had it as a central mechanic

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 29, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i don't know how you could have played the original HW and expected a dark gritty serious "everyone is literally pre-emptively guaranteed to die at the end" game for the sequel, this is advance wars not days of ruin

also i'm contractually obligated to laugh at everyone up in arms about time travel not being a thing in zelda games when at least three of them, including the frequently-argued-as-best one, had it as a central mechanic

Its been in more than that. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess all have it to a greater or lesser degree. And OG Hyrule Warriors revolves entirely around it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Its been in more than that. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess all have it to a greater or lesser degree. And OG Hyrule Warriors revolves entirely around it

yeah I figured there'd be more that I was forgetting I was thinking OoT, OoA and SS, extremely coffee-deprived of me to forget MM in that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, I'm not at all saying that time travel doesn't belong in a Zelda game. It clearly does as it appears in a shitload of them as a main plot element. I guess I was thinking of this more as a canon BotW prequel in the form of a Hyrule Warriors game rather than a BotW-themed Hyrule Warriors game, which was clearly a mistake.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anyone find any bladed rhino beetles yet?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean it would have been an interesting choice with built-in pathos, wouldn't necessarily have been any darker and grittier than BotW, and it wouldn't have been a true downer ending because it for sure would have ended on a hopeful look at Link in stasis or maybe even a flash forward to Link and Zelda post-botw paying respects to their buddies who helped them save the world.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I mean, there's nothing saying at this point that this has to necessarily be an AU. It could very well be that the events of BotW's backstory are still fated to happen regardless and that the war will ultimately be lost as expected. At this point we just don't know, and it'll depend on if we start seeing more time travel stuff, with characters from BotW showing up in the main story. If that happens, then yes we're firmly in AU territory. At the moment though, I think it's unknown.

Regardless, I really enjoyed the demo. I don't want to keep playing it though, since the demo carries your progress to the main game, and I don't want to be overleveling characters for the main story by playing the demo maps a ton. If the first HW is any indication, Link will end up super leveled for me anyway just from playing the game normally.

Oh and, can I just say the Sheikah Slate powers are way more interesting than I thought they would be on each character? I thought they'd be kind of boring to have constantly, but seeing that each character has different uses for the 4 powers means that they're each now unique tools in the character's moveset instead of a universal set of weapons that only got used for weak point attacks like the items in HW1.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Oh yeah it was pretty typical for Link to end up 30 levels higher than everyone else after your first run through HW1, he's only my second highest character at 87 behind Volga who is Lv 134.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Did anyone else find the framerate a bit, i dunno, choppy.

Like it wasn't stuttering or anything like that but it felt like there was a bit of roughness to it. Though it's probably because in my head i was expecting it to flow like Hyrule Warriors: DE which is a port of a WiiU game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Kin posted:

Did anyone else find the framerate a bit, i dunno, choppy.

Like it wasn't stuttering or anything like that but it felt like there was a bit of roughness to it. Though it's probably because in my head i was expecting it to flow like Hyrule Warriors: DE which is a port of a WiiU game.

Absolutely. Like my qualms about the story though, I'll save my concerns until if the full game shares them.

Also, the level cap for the demo is 20, so you don't really have to worry about overleveling.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

mastajake posted:

Also, the level cap for the demo is 20, so you don't really have to worry about overleveling.

And the weapon level cap appears to be 10, so you can't overlevel there either.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Considering the full game is less than a month away, I'm expecting the framerate concerns to stay through launch. That's honesty my only real complaint right now, since it does get pretty choppy throughout. We'll see if I'm wrong though.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

FPzero posted:

Considering the full game is less than a month away, I'm expecting the framerate concerns to stay through launch. That's honesty my only real complaint right now, since it does get pretty choppy throughout. We'll see if I'm wrong though.

If Koei is smart they'll implement the performance/quality mode toggle FE Warriors has. I'd gladly take a hit to LoD, or AA if it meant better FPS.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played some of the demo. It was fun but I feel like I played so much Hyrule Warriors that I can wait a year or more to play this (and let it collect some DLC). It definitely seems improved -- the items are way better and it's great that they work differently for each character. BotW Link apparently forgot about his past self's ability to chuck masses of bombs at once.

I didn't care for Impa but Zelda was a blast. She's like Lana except more dynamic given the item combos.

I read the spoilers before I played the demo and hoped that time travel was a setup for branching paths with Ganon's ending being the canon BotW one but ways for it to play out differently too but with the map structure the game takes, I now doubt that.

Any word on an adventure mode? HW's story mode was fine but the real meat of the game was in adventure.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ardryn posted:

And the weapon level cap appears to be 10, so you can't overlevel there either.

Do you mean 20? Cause one of mine is sitting at 16/20 Atk. 37 right now. I'm wondering if that will be permanent. Or only for the lower-tier weapons maybe.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
The only gameplay thing that bugged me was the number of mooks with the damage gauge.

It was fine when that was reserved for bosses, but not every time you want to take over a base.

In HW1 there was the odd rare occasion where you could command a base to be captured. I can't see that ever happening in HW2 because of that type of enemy gatekeeping it. Also their attack patterns seemed even more difficult to goad into using the one attack that let you counter with the tablet.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

Do you mean 20? Cause one of mine is sitting at 16/20 Atk. 37 right now. I'm wondering if that will be permanent. Or only for the lower-tier weapons maybe.

Maybe? It was a bit late at night when I crammed a dozen traveler swords into themselves and I thought I saw the bar stop moving at 10.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The demo still says nothing about what they have in store for long term play. The main story being more then 6-7 hours would be hugely surprising. Pretty sure at least 95% of my playtime for HW was the adventure maps.

I'll also say the story seems dumb as poo poo and is little more then a transparent vehicle for fan favorite BotW characters to show up. Robbie and Purah are already showing off some...strong personalities I can't imagine the rest of the cast being any less bombastic.

Sidon will probably try and suplex a lynel or something.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 30, 2020

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Kin posted:

The only gameplay thing that bugged me was the number of mooks with the damage gauge.

It was fine when that was reserved for bosses, but not every time you want to take over a base.

In HW1 there was the odd rare occasion where you could command a base to be captured. I can't see that ever happening in HW2 because of that type of enemy gatekeeping it. Also their attack patterns seemed even more difficult to goad into using the one attack that let you counter with the tablet.

This didn't really bother me because those enemies in the keeps were basically the old Keep Bosses. What's bugging me a little more is how it seems the weak point smash is an instant kill on anything you get to use it on, instead of a tool to deplete health in bigger chunks. Though, maybe it's just early enough that those enemies will just die from it because they have very little health.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Finally got the hang of Impa and man, she’s a beast. I’m not the biggest fan of Zelda thus far. Might just need to put in some more time. Hard to, since she’s only available for half of one mission.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

The demo still says nothing about what they have in store for long term play. The main story being more then 6-7 hours would be hugely surprising. Pretty sure at least 95% of my playtime for HW was the adventure maps.

I'll also say the story seems dumb as poo poo and is little more then a transparent vehicle for fan favorite BotW characters to show up. Robbie and Purah are already showing off some...strong personalities I can't imagine the rest of the cast being any less bombastic.

Sidon will probably try and suplex a lynel or something.

I'm going to be really bummed if there aren't more adventure maps. The worst adventure map was significantly more interesting than anything in the story in Hyrule Warriors.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

Finally got the hang of Impa and man, she’s a beast. I’m not the biggest fan of Zelda thus far. Might just need to put in some more time. Hard to, since she’s only available for half of one mission.

You can go back to the first map and put her in place of Link or Impa with the Party selection. Zelda actually seems her strongest when she's facing anything with weakpoint triggers, because her normal and strong strings count as using the shiekah runes. Also, you can cancel out of her bomb rune and keep attacking while it's still going.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I get the impression Zelda will become more interesting than she already is once we can fully unlock her basic attack and combo strings. There's a lot of weird potential for her runes moveset.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ardryn posted:

You can go back to the first map and put her in place of Link or Impa with the Party selection. Zelda actually seems her strongest when she's facing anything with weakpoint triggers, because her normal and strong strings count as using the shiekah runes. Also, you can cancel out of her bomb rune and keep attacking while it's still going.

Thanks for this. I tried it on the second map and couldn't (guess because she has an event in it?) so I assumed you could only switch between Impa and Link. I'm liking her set more now. The XX combo is pretty strong, especially followed by ZR. Still haven't found any horned rhino beetles.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

mastajake posted:

Still haven't found any horned rhino beetles.
The skull chests in monster bases can drop them (there's one in the west of the first level, for instance), but it's purely RNG and you might have to retry many times if you want 'em in the demo. Those particular chests seem to be able to drop anything that's not regular monster parts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is paragliding really that much faster then regular running? I used Impa's YX that launches her in the air and it seems like she covers an enormous distance very quickly before she touches down. I don't see any use for wall jumps other then to quickly fly away over

So far each character is wildly unique in more ways then I expected, especially with the R rune and special attack. I didn't really take to Impa or Zelda at first but after a few more tries it's amazing how much flexibility and utility they have.

Money is definitely going to be a hurdle like HW, I'm playing on normal and rushing the map for the first mission, getting 1200+ kills and blowing up every box and barrel I can find for rupees still doesn't give more then ~600 for the mission lasting 15-20 mins.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 31, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not saying it's 100% going to happen, but when HW released on the Wii-U and people played it early it had framerate issues too. It got fixed in a day 1 patch so... maybe???

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hogama posted:

The skull chests in monster bases can drop them (there's one in the west of the first level, for instance), but it's purely RNG and you might have to retry many times if you want 'em in the demo. Those particular chests seem to be able to drop anything that's not regular monster parts.

Yeah, I got it earlier today in the first mission after basically speeding to the two Bokoblin encampments and resetting if I didn't get it a few times. Guess there's not anything else for me to do now until the 20th.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

Thanks for this. I tried it on the second map and couldn't (guess because she has an event in it?) so I assumed you could only switch between Impa and Link. I'm liking her set more now. The XX combo is pretty strong, especially followed by ZR. Still haven't found any horned rhino beetles.

Oh, yeah her upgraded XX combo is great and great at lagging the game because you can set even more cryonis blocks while she's on top of the big one. The game freezes for like a solid half-second whenever I do this, great for clearing crowds at least.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Played the demo, I'm liking the combat, but am going to need way more time to figure out the playstyle of anyone not named Link. My biggest issue is that I often have a hard time figuring out the maps and keep getting lost on the way to my objective.

I am a bit disappointed the game isn't going to be a proper prequel where everyone is fated to die and the world is left with nothing but a small glimmer of hope, like Revenge of the Sith. That woulda been cool.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Played the demo, I'm liking the combat, but am going to need way more time to figure out the playstyle of anyone not named Link. My biggest issue is that I often have a hard time figuring out the maps and keep getting lost on the way to my objective.

I am a bit disappointed the game isn't going to be a proper prequel where everyone is fated to die and the world is left with nothing but a small glimmer of hope, like Revenge of the Sith. That woulda been cool.
I recently played through almost all the content in Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete (which was the first time I really learned about the Romance of the Three Kingdoms lore) and the thing I liked was that you'd play through a faction and see its rise and ultimate decline. HOWEVER, a really cool thing was that each faction also had an unlockable "what-if" branch where all the things that went wrong over the years didn't happen and they ended up with a perfect timeline.

Maybe they're going to have the same thing here, where a first playthrough is the canon bad ending, then a timeline split where everything works out.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

In case you missed it, there was a 10-minute gameplay video released a couple days ago. Shows off Revali, Urbosa, Vah Ruta, Mipha, Daruk, Spear Link, Two-Handed Link. And also more gameplay from Zelda, Impa, and One-Handed Link, which isn't important if you already have the demo. Though I will say I never tried to use Link's bow in the air so seeing that you still get to snipe with it in slow time like in BotW is pretty cool.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mastajake posted:

In case you missed it, there was a 10-minute gameplay video released a couple days ago. Shows off Revali, Urbosa, Vah Ruta, Mipha, Daruk, Spear Link, Two-Handed Link. And also more gameplay from Zelda, Impa, and One-Handed Link, which isn't important if you already have the demo. Though I will say I never tried to use Link's bow in the air so seeing that you still get to snipe with it in slow time like in BotW is pretty cool.

The bow in AoC? It's like an assault rifle you really aren't sniping anything just unleashing a torrent of arrows in front of you. When aerial you just get a stronger attack.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I played the demo, I'm actually surprised by how much I'm enjoying it, usually Musou Games bore me to tears but this games combination of gameplay-music-style and storytelling is really selling itself to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Impa is like, giga dogshit to go into. I get the feeling she's a good character, but swapping to her and 'PUT SYMBOL SUCK SYMBOL' with no real idea of what that even means is so bizarre. Then it throws you to Zelda who is equally just 'huh?'

Probably just need to play more but a overview screen of mechanics or *anything* would be nice instead of "go! Do it now! Why aren't you doing it! Go go go!"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Impa is like, giga dogshit to go into. I get the feeling she's a good character, but swapping to her and 'PUT SYMBOL SUCK SYMBOL' with no real idea of what that even means is so bizarre. Then it throws you to Zelda who is equally just 'huh?'

Probably just need to play more but a overview screen of mechanics or *anything* would be nice instead of "go! Do it now! Why aren't you doing it! Go go go!"

It comes together pretty quick when the story isn't bearing down on you to do stuff, even though there's practically no failure possible in the first map aside from dying.

I've probably played ~2-3 hours of the demo and I've been able to grasp how Impa and Zelda work pretty well after a few uses as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

pentyne posted:

The bow in AoC? It's like an assault rifle you really aren't sniping anything just unleashing a torrent of arrows in front of you. When aerial you just get a stronger attack.

It looked like that was happening in the gameplay video, but perhaps I was mistaken.