Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hogama posted:

Dang, I was tricked into thinking the demo was even more massive than it is because of the four chapter 2 quests opening up that I left while I did the open side-quests. (Trying to pick them tells you the demo's over, but your save can carry over.)

All three demo characters are pretty dang fun, though. Zelda's technical trap-master thing took a bit, but also her Sheikah Slate powers are augmented over Link and Impa's.

Wondering where the story's going. The mini-Guardian is explicitly a time-traveler and comes back with video footage from the Calamity, and also it seems there's an Evil One that ominously watches Zelda's group in a scene.

I am very happy they went this route, the mini-Guardian not being present in BOTW sticks this into AU-ville at least removes the guarantee of a "rocks fall everyone dies" Bad Ending, even if that's where it eventually ends up

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm so confused as to how impa works but I'm sure I'll figure her out after a few more missions

Impa owns and I love her, it really boils down to using ZR + X to build up some initial runes and then go to town on everything forever

Mission 2 I used her to ignore the "flee" prompt and just killed the guardian outright, turns out that just ends the mission then and there-- I was a little surprised when I got back to the map screen and had Zelda as a playable and had to go redo the mission properly to figure out what actually happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

The Age of Calamity demo is fun but I am extremely skeptical of the direction the story takes. Throwing in time-traveling R2D2 and making it an AU instead of a true prequel feels kinda cheap to me. I know not everyone would be down for the guaranteed downer ending but I think "this game is a non-canon AU" is a lot less satisfying.

i don't know how you could have played the original HW and expected a dark gritty serious "everyone is literally pre-emptively guaranteed to die at the end" game for the sequel, this is advance wars not days of ruin

also i'm contractually obligated to laugh at everyone up in arms about time travel not being a thing in zelda games when at least three of them, including the frequently-argued-as-best one, had it as a central mechanic

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 29, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Its been in more than that. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess all have it to a greater or lesser degree. And OG Hyrule Warriors revolves entirely around it

yeah I figured there'd be more that I was forgetting I was thinking OoT, OoA and SS, extremely coffee-deprived of me to forget MM in that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Silver Falcon posted:

I can never get usual Warriors lingo into my thick skull. Is that 3 normal attacks and a strong one, or 4?

4 normal and a strong, you don't have it baseline and have to unlock it but it's the one that sucks everyone into a shekiah eye and drops a giant dagger on them

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Philosopher King posted:

I've seen time sensitive missions come up does that mean in mission there is a timer or after a certain point I can't go back and do them?

Also I was kinda meh about the amiibo support in game. All crap items so far for zelda game figures.

The former

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get bonuses for having multiple skills of the same shape on a weapon, the effect increases and you get an attack bonus as well.

As for the skills themselves, as I get further weapons drop with better skills so instead of getting strong attack +2% I get strong attack +4%. Eventually I’m sure you’ll get even better skills and idk if there is a way to remove/replace skills on weapons so I am assuming you can make more copies of the Champion weapons later like you could in BOTW.

Later on you're able to unlock removing seals, both individually and in the "completely clean this weapon off" senses, although it's comparatively material-expensive so if you haven't already levelled a weapon up a fair ways it's likely easier to just find a fresh weapon to start building anyways.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm still pretty early on but after unlocking the 4 champions the only characters I'm not really liking are Impa whose symbol thing is too finicky for me and sword'n'board Link who is just kinda boring. Zelda needs to get some more combos already though.

The symbol thing is less complicated than it's presented-- you just ZR 3 trash mobs, C3 or C4 them, and then
- Run around hitting things with all your shadow copies, and
- Use your special attack to make a stack of bombs instead of just one

that's literally all there is to it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Postman posted:

Oh poo poo I'm going to have to try this. I'm trying to naturally keep everyone's level balanced by pulling out my lowest leveled characters for missions and I dread this character every time. I also think my leveling strategy is starting to become a little unsustainable but I like forcing myself to give characters a fair shot.

This game honestly actively discourages* manually keeping characters balanced-- if you want to play other characters it seems to really be better if you pay to level them up to your current max before taking them in, otherwise you're nearly inevitably going to be forced to replay old levels/challenges to grind your underlevelled characters up to the level recommendation going forward.

*My eggbot was "recommending" the training camp for me more often than not on the world map from about mission 8 onwards

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GWBBQ posted:

I'm absolutely loving the game but motion controls for Divine Beasts while plating handheld with the Switch are by far the worst character/camera control since Mario 64. Please tell me they're better with the console docked and using the pro controller.

"Turning the motion controls off" is a better approach ime. The beasts turn so pendulously and with such limited angles that any benefit from even a good motion control implementation would be lost, and this does not feel like a good motion control implementation.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GWBBQ posted:

Also, question for people who have played a lot more than me, I'm in the first few quests past the demo and have the champions plus a goofy rear end tree with me, anything I do involving fusing weapons at this point is going to be meaningless after another few hours of gameplay, isn't it?

Surprisingly, not necessarily. This isn't HW1 where you end up getting ridiculous 7-star weapons that completely override any previous weapon you picked up; you'll get weapons that start at a higher damage level and some "+" and "++" seals, but later in the game you'll be able to remove some/all seals from weapons and remove the level 20 cap, and I'm actually not sure if there is a cap once you've done the latter or if you can just keep upgrading a given weapon in perpetuity.

I've put the game down for a bit after wrapping up the main plot, but I'm absolutely planning on stripping Link down and giving him a god tier boat oar for as long as the postgame allows me to get away with it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sooga spoilers (end game stuff) I thought it was fairly obvious that Sooga died offscreen but I saw a good chunk of people thinking maybe he didn't. Getting all the koroks and playing as weird characters in the final level had Kohga say 'Sooga I hope you're watching this, I'm going to take down this menace' so yeah he's dead and not just in a healing pod or something??

There's a second credits sequence post-post game when you repair Terrako where Terrako is wandering the world saying hi to everyone and Sooga appears to pops up with Kohga in the little loading screen sprite style. That said this is a Warriors game and as seen with Rhoam, and Robbie, and Purah, "implied off screen deaths" are largely "we want some tension but they absolutely actually survived"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure I've smashed a Wizzrobe with the bombs before, even though it really looked like I shouldn't have.

Similarly, frequently you can stop a charge with Cryonis even if the specific form of that Cryonis looks like it shouldn't work.

Some runes seem to be more forgiving than others-- I've noticed that Impa will frequently use bombs in a random different direction (probably the direction she's facing instead of the target you're locked into) but it'll still trigger the bomb weak spot on the enemy you're locked on to. I'm not sure if that's something they hardcoded because people were running into issues with it, or the AOE on the bomb is just That Big when you're at 3 runes on her.

Cyronis is hands down the most irritating, Stasis also feels like it's frequently hit or miss-- although again, in hindsight, that's probably a "Because I'm making the mistake of assuming that me being locked into a large target will make me actually face that enemy when I'm throwing down runes" like it does in this game's namesake.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BisbyWorl posted:

I love finishing a story quest then having a solid minute of quests and missions popping up on the map.

my only complaint is that I really, really wish there was at minimum a way to "filter by type" on the main map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

duffmensch posted:

Is there some trick to getting enough mobs to spawn for the training missions? It seems like every time I try one I’m scrambling at the end to have enough enemies to complete it in time.

Not really, apart from "abuse the timer stop your ult does"-- Zelda's training felt exceptionally terrible in that regard